Rc51 swap? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 10-27-2015, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Rc51 swap?

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/262061460526

Would this work as a good starting point for the front end swap? I know you wouldn't need the triples, but a lot of other stuff would work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-27-2015, 12:51 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Certainly would, you'd be using everything but the triples

Dan
post #3 of 19 Old 10-27-2015, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Thanks voodoo that's what I thought. I'm not in the market atm, so if someone wants have at it.

post #4 of 19 Old 10-27-2015, 02:14 PM
Robert

Garage
That's a nice set up, lots of use able parts. Buy that, a pair of CB1000R triples and a set of shims from Helimech and you'd be nearly done. Nice!

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
post #5 of 19 Old 10-27-2015, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Didn't he end up going with a 929 lower triple to get rid of the shims?

post #6 of 19 Old 10-27-2015, 02:41 PM
Princeps Prior

No he has Sp1 forks with cb1000r triples and shims. The 929 lower with the 919 stem is also an option. It just doesn't fit the cb1000r top triple clamp

post #7 of 19 Old 10-28-2015, 01:57 AM
Pilus Posterior

Is that really the going price for a 14 year old front end? Seems like $1K is a bit much, I would have expected maybe < 1/2 that, maybe they aren't that common or maybe there's quite a bit of demand for those.

I would guess that with all the bike over the years, there would be a good selection of options. Am I wrong?

post #8 of 19 Old 10-28-2015, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Ya I wish it was 1/2 that price. But these front ends are in pretty high demand and look to be in good condition. I would think it would be hard to find a true front end from a salvage yard. Usually the front end gets the worst in a wreck.

post #9 of 19 Old 10-28-2015, 10:39 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudcity919 View Post
Ya I wish it was 1/2 that price. But these front ends are in pretty high demand and look to be in good condition. I would think it would be hard to find a true front end from a salvage yard. Usually the front end gets the worst in a wreck.
I get the good/great condition part, but what about all the other bikes out there over the last 15 years? I'm certainly not suggesting that all front ends are equal, but shouldn't there be a selection of bikes to choose from?

Let me try this. I have a 1 gen mustang and wanted to convert the rear end and power brakes. One site had a listing of all the cars/trucks that would be good targets. I went to the junk yard and with the list and picked the parts.

One of the great things about cars/trucks/bikes is that the original purchaser pays full price when they buy it new, but the ones with used bikes, years/decades later can get great things cheap.

Why don't we have a list off all forks/brakes/rims/etc... that'll swap over to ours? We know about the RC51 and a few others have been posted, but what about all those other bikes over all those years?

The problem isn't him asking $1K, it's someone paying it. If you wanted it for $300, then just don't buy it. It's not like he can force someone to pay $1K.

Just like the housing bubble or DotCom stock market. You can't have a bubble without buyers. Some call this the greater fool. At $1K, I'd say let him keep them... Tell him to call you when they get to $300.

post #10 of 19 Old 10-28-2015, 12:02 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I get the good/great condition part, but what about all the other bikes out there over the last 15 years? I'm certainly not suggesting that all front ends are equal, but shouldn't there be a selection of bikes to choose from?
$1000 seems a bit steep - there are cheaper RC51 options on ebay if you don't want the wheel, fender, or triples.
It's been many years since I did this swap. I don't know if CB1000R forks are any cheaper, or if they're the correct length. Used CBR forks or entire front ends are pretty affordable, but I'm pretty sure that all of the CBR forks are at least an inch too short. The RC51 forks aren't the latest and greatest by any means, but they're about the same length as the 919 forks you'd be replacing - so the geometry would stay the same.

There might be forks from other sport bikes that are the correct length, but would mix-and-match axle, wheels, brakes, spacers all work together? or would you be better off buying the complete front end, and getting a custom stem to make it all bolt onto the 919 frame?

post #11 of 19 Old 10-28-2015, 12:16 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
$1000 seems a bit steep - there are cheaper RC51 options on ebay if you don't want the wheel, fender, or triples.
It's been many years since I did this swap. I don't know if CB1000R forks are any cheaper, or if they're the correct length. Used CBR forks or entire front ends are pretty affordable, but I'm pretty sure that all of the CBR forks are at least an inch too short. The RC51 forks aren't the latest and greatest by any means, but they're about the same length as the 919 forks you'd be replacing - so the geometry would stay the same.

There might be forks from other sport bikes that are the correct length, but would mix-and-match axle, wheels, brakes, spacers all work together? or would you be better off buying the complete front end, and getting a custom stem to make it all bolt onto the 919 frame?
I wonder if the stock forks could be upgraded to the point where they'd be nearly the same as the RC51 forks.

What if someone took the stock 919 housing and replaced everything other than the shell? After market springs, valves, everything... Wouldn't that give the same results? (Other than being inverted)

I understand the problem with trying this with the rear shock, but they aren't designed to be rebuilt. Front forks are designed to be rebuilt. Even if the guts are different lengths, couldn't that be adjusted with spacers?

post #12 of 19 Old 10-28-2015, 01:45 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
I wonder if the stock forks could be upgraded to the point where they'd be nearly the same as the RC51 forks.

What if someone took the stock 919 housing and replaced everything other than the shell? After market springs, valves, everything... Wouldn't that give the same results? (Other than being inverted)

I understand the problem with trying this with the rear shock, but they aren't designed to be rebuilt. Front forks are designed to be rebuilt. Even if the guts are different lengths, couldn't that be adjusted with spacers?
improvements by stock rc51 fork swap on the niner...
#1 - looks
#2 looks
#3.........looks
#4 comp. adj.

top 3 reasons are subjective

I'd say rebuilt 9er forks are much better bang for the buck.

post #13 of 19 Old 10-28-2015, 02:13 PM
Princeps Prior

There are plenty of threads talking about f4i and rc51 swap what works. Those are the two most common. Most other forks are likely too short as stated. Even the f4i and sp2 forks need different top out springs to get them the correct length. Sure you could bolt random cbr/gsxr stuff on but it will throw the geometry of the bike off. If you search you will find a lot of this information has already been posted. Any questions just ask and we will try to help out.

post #14 of 19 Old 10-28-2015, 03:01 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
improvements by stock rc51 fork swap on the niner...
#1 - looks
#2 looks
#3.........looks
#4 comp. adj.

top 3 reasons are subjective

I'd say rebuilt 9er forks are much better bang for the buck.
It's been a while, but isn't there some "gold valve" setup that allows for all the adj you want? I remember the progressive springs and picking the right oil wt, but isn't there a set of shim/valves that make them fully adjustable?

Another issue is the age of the springs and guts in a 14 year old setup. Aren't these $1K / 14 year old forks really just cores ready for a complete rebuild... Add up new springs, seals, etc... aren't you better of doing that to your own set and use some of the $1K for new springs/valves...

Didn't someone used to make some cartridge insert to convert forks?

post #15 of 19 Old 10-28-2015, 05:17 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
It's been a while, but isn't there some "gold valve" setup that allows for all the adj you want? I remember the progressive springs and picking the right oil wt, but isn't there a set of shim/valves that make them fully adjustable?

Another issue is the age of the springs and guts in a 14 year old setup. Aren't these $1K / 14 year old forks really just cores ready for a complete rebuild... Add up new springs, seals, etc... aren't you better of doing that to your own set and use some of the $1K for new springs/valves...

Didn't someone used to make some cartridge insert to convert forks?
Rc51 forks look "killer" on the 9er. Yes they need some work to work well on the 9er. Yes, 1k is better spent on 9er/4fi forks IMO (strictly performance speaking). Yes, DK has Ohlins cart kit for RC51 forks, not sure if 9er will use their full benefit, unlike the actual RC51
progressive springs are no good. Stock 9er forks can be rebuilt with Ohlins valves and correct springs for well under $500 (DIY). Plenty good for the average 9er

post #16 of 19 Old 10-28-2015, 05:59 PM
Robert

Garage
Looks had a bit to do with but not all that much. The performance of decent suspension to the 919's economy stuff is night and day. Having said that, had I rode a 919 with reworked suspension maybe I would have gone that route. Moot point for me.

I bought salvage yard forks then everything new for them but the lowers, springs and pre-load spacer. I easy have the amount he's asking in the forks alone, not to mention the $550 wheel, the $200+/each calipers, etc.

I would have jumped on that for that price (TWSS).

Just my 2 cents.

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
post #17 of 19 Old 10-29-2015, 12:50 PM
Pilus Posterior

Dam those cart kits are expensive! Too bad Honda didn't make the suspension a bit more adjustable or more universal so that parts can be swapped around a bit more.

post #18 of 19 Old 10-30-2015, 08:03 AM
GLG-20

Garage
I've heard good things about the Racetech Gold valves. Getting the compression side sorted seems to provide the greatest benefit in terms of feel; you don't necessarily have to touch the rebound valve/stack.

Proper springs, these valves, and some new fork oil should run less than $250.

I actually had some, but never installed them. Sold them to NZSpokes a while back, and it sounds like they've worked very well for him.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #19 of 19 Old 10-30-2015, 01:29 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
I've heard good things about the Racetech Gold valves. Getting the compression side sorted seems to provide the greatest benefit in terms of feel; you don't necessarily have to touch the rebound valve/stack.

Proper springs, these valves, and some new fork oil should run less than $250.

I actually had some, but never installed them. Sold them to NZSpokes a while back, and it sounds like they've worked very well for him.
That sounds so much better, might have to do that to mine as I'm overdue for oil/seals. I wonder is that's a DIY type thing. Do you pick shims in the valve setup based on what you want before you put them in the forks or is it adjustable outside?

Edit: Looks like I found part of the answer here:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode