Power Commander with Yoshi map causing starting issues - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 27 Old 08-12-2014, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Not Tirone

PCIII with Yoshi map causing starting issues

I just installed a Power Commander and used the Yoshi setup from their website (I have Yoshis on the bike). My bike is now having difficulties starting and I have to twist the throttle to get it to start. Is this a common problem? Is the fix to simply adjust the map at the 0 throttle positions for the first couple of RPM increments or is there something else that should be done?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-12-2014, 10:02 AM
Semper Vigilo

Common issue with the PC3, that has been discussed here many times.
Solution is to hold the start button longer and give it some throttle. I'm sure others will chime in with their responses.

Edit: Missed the new install part, definitely need to make sure that the PC is synced to the TPS as mcromo said.

post #3 of 27 Old 08-12-2014, 10:03 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjamoto View Post
I just installed a Power Commander and used the Yoshi setup from their website (I have Yoshis on the bike). My bike is now having difficulties starting and I have to twist the throttle to get it to start. Is this a common problem? Is the fix to simply adjust the map at the 0 throttle positions for the first couple of RPM increments or is there something else that should be done?
This is not a problem that is common or one that should occur if the PC has been synchronized to the bike's Throttle Positioner Sensor, the map file is not corrupted, and all connections are good.

post #4 of 27 Old 08-12-2014, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Not Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
This is not a problem that is common or one that should occur if the PC has been synchronized to the bike's Throttle Positioner Sensor, the map file is not corrupted, and all connections are good.

What do I need to do to synchronize to the bike's Throttle Positioner Sensor?

post #5 of 27 Old 08-12-2014, 10:17 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Is this a 919 or some other bike? I've never seen a Yoshi specific map for the PCIII other than one from one of the members on here that paid to get thiers tuned.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #6 of 27 Old 08-12-2014, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Not Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
Is this a 919 or some other bike? I've never seen a Yoshi specific map for the PCIII other than one from one of the members on here that paid to get thiers tuned.

Sorry about the lack of info. The bike is a 2002 Honda 919. The map I used was Map 112-005 on the Power Commander website labeled "Yoshimura dual slip-ons (inserts removed) Stock or aftermarket air filter". I found this after selecting my bike from the drop-down menus.

post #7 of 27 Old 08-12-2014, 12:02 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Sorry about the lack of info. The bike is a 2002 Honda 919. The map I used was Map 112-005 on the Power Commander website labeled "Yoshimura dual slip-ons (inserts removed) Stock or aftermarket air filter". I found this after selecting my bike from the drop-down menus.
Well shit... I swore I looked up and down that list last year and couldn't find a yosh map...

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #8 of 27 Old 08-12-2014, 12:04 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
What do I need to do to synchronize to the bike's Throttle Positioner Sensor?
sychronizing the TPS is done right in the program you used to upload the map to the powercommander I don't remember the exact window name right now... if no one else chimes in I can grab it with some screen shots when I get home.

If that doesn't solve the issue, just hold down the start for a few extra seconds. it's always worked for me and has worked for many others on here. If that doesn't help I'd look for a bad connection somewhere, but if it's running right the rest of the time I'd say it's connected alright.

-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #9 of 27 Old 08-12-2014, 04:41 PM
McTavish

I did not have the M112-005 so it's been added to Power Commander's inventory of maps since I did my map collection work.
I just retrieved it now.
It varies noticeably from my custom map.
My custom map used LDH's V4 of his Moriwaki based mapping as the baseline.
This can be found on 919.org in the old format.
My tuner had a hard time finding noticeable improvement, to the point that he took twice as long as usual, but only charged me half price because my baseline map was so good. (what a laugh, his last name is also Wheeler ! )
I have also converted LDH's old format map to new format and it is in the drop box as is my custom map and many others. Many of the maps have had notes added to them.
I suggest strongly that anyone wanting a default map to first try for use with after market twin cans, is LDH's map V4 Mori map.
If one has Yosh's feel free to try mine, it's there for anyone to use.
To get to my map collection in the drop box, get to the McRomo44 Compilation subfolder in the Power Commander folder.

post #10 of 27 Old 08-12-2014, 07:39 PM
Centurion

Its not the map. Its the PC3--let me clarify--its the PC3 & your bike as a combination. You could hand the PC3 over to someone else & they may or may not have the same problem. Last I heard people were pointing to the coolant temp sensor. I gave up long before the theories got there. In any case if you remove the PC3 it will go back to normal.

post #11 of 27 Old 08-12-2014, 08:08 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
Its not the map. Its the PC3--let me clarify--its the PC3 & your bike as a combination. You could hand the PC3 over to someone else & they may or may not have the same problem. Last I heard people were pointing to the coolant temp sensor. I gave up long before the theories got there. In any case if you remove the PC3 it will go back to normal.
Really...........
Which is why mine without one was terrible, and with one is ace.
I've read enough threads and posts over the years here to accept that some bikes are fine without, some aren't, and some are better with them, and others have glitches.
It simply is NOT just the PC3 alone.

post #12 of 27 Old 08-12-2014, 10:12 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Really...........
Which is why mine without one was terrible, and with one is ace.
I've read enough threads and posts over the years here to accept that some bikes are fine without, some aren't, and some are better with them, and others have glitches.
It simply is NOT just the PC3 alone.
I think he's talkin about the cold start issue, Mcromo. Settle down now, lol.

post #13 of 27 Old 08-13-2014, 06:34 AM
McTavish

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
I think he's talkin about the cold start issue, Mcromo. Settle down now, lol.
LoL, I have two buttons.
The fuel injection one, and the suspension one !

post #14 of 27 Old 08-13-2014, 07:01 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Does adding a PCIII increase swing arm squat?

post #15 of 27 Old 08-13-2014, 07:22 PM
McTavish

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Does adding a PCIII increase swing arm squat?
Ahem, ah, um, let's play this out ................
Yes and No.

Re NO
At slow speeds, the "smoothified" torque delivery will be easier on the rear suspension unit and less squat will result.

Re YES
At higher revs and throttle openings it will increase squat by virtue of the mega increase in torque that a PCIII is guaranteed to give you regardless of what map you use or whether the unit is synched to the TPS.

You did ask ................................

post #16 of 27 Old 08-15-2014, 04:43 AM
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 

Quote:
I did not have the M112-005 so it's been added to Power Commander's inventory of maps since I did my map collection work.
I just retrieved it now.
It varies noticeably from my custom map.
My custom map used LDH's V4 of his Moriwaki based mapping as the baseline.
This can be found on 919.org in the old format.
My tuner had a hard time finding noticeable improvement, to the point that he took twice as long as usual, but only charged me half price because my baseline map was so good. (what a laugh, his last name is also Wheeler ! )
I have also converted LDH's old format map to new format and it is in the drop box as is my custom map and many others. Many of the maps have had notes added to them.
I suggest strongly that anyone wanting a default map to first try for use with after market twin cans, is LDH's map V4 Mori map.
If one has Yosh's feel free to try mine, it's there for anyone to use.
To get to my map collection in the drop box, get to the McRomo44 Compilation subfolder in the Power Commander folder.

mcromo, Is this the map you are referencing (mw919mori4.djm)? I have dual Scorpion slip ons and have been using a map provided by scorpion. I would like to give LDH's V4 Mori map a shot.

'07 Hornet - Candy Glory Red
post #17 of 27 Old 08-15-2014, 07:32 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrow919 View Post

mcromo, Is this the map you are referencing (mw919mori4.djm)? I have dual Scorpion slip ons and have been using a map provided by scorpion. I would like to give LDH's V4 Mori map a shot.
Do it. It's a great baseline map to start with. My sato map used it as a baseline and then was further tweaked in order to improve on low rpm throttle input. Worked great.

Until I moved to Arizona that is

post #18 of 27 Old 08-15-2014, 07:43 AM
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Do it. It's a great baseline map to start with. My sato map used it as a baseline and then was further tweaked in order to improve on low rpm throttle input. Worked great.

Until I moved to Arizona that is
I was curious about that too. The elevation in my area ranges from 800 ft to 2000 ft.

post #19 of 27 Old 08-15-2014, 08:21 AM
The Cripple

Quote:

I was curious about that too. The elevation in my area ranges from 800 ft to 2000 ft.
Problem For me was that I moved from a cold, damp climate to a hot, very dry climate which affects the air intake.

post #20 of 27 Old 08-15-2014, 10:08 AM
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase

So I wonder how well LDH's map will work for me. I'm sure cali is alot drier and less humid than north GA.

post #21 of 27 Old 08-15-2014, 01:37 PM
McTavish

Quote:
YES !
And see what I just posted under the DK map thread.

post #22 of 27 Old 09-01-2014, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Not Tirone

Update:

So it looks like I had a coincidental occurrence in that my starting issues may have been caused more by my poorly maintained clutch cable than by the PCIII. I replaced it today and the starting issues have seemed to diminish greatly. After feeling how nice the new cable is, I wish I'd have done this a long time ago. So many issues resolved and the feel is much better. I'd never replaced one before so it took an embarrassingly long time to complete but it was worth triple what I paid for the cable. Next time, it'll be a snap.

post #23 of 27 Old 09-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Left of Centre

Really? Your clutch cable was affecting your starting? I'd like to see the flow chart of cause and effect on that one - did you always have it in gear with the clutch in when you were starting it?

post #24 of 27 Old 09-03-2014, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Not Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
Really? Your clutch cable was affecting your starting? I'd like to see the flow chart of cause and effect on that one - did you always have it in gear with the clutch in when you were starting it?

Yes, I typically started from first gear with the clutch lever pulled in. I did have a little cold start issue this morning so the map does still seem to have some effect on the starting (it's been really hot until this morning).

post #25 of 27 Old 09-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Yes, I typically started from first gear with the clutch lever pulled in.
Right, got it.

What's the reason for that? Why not knock it into neutral to start it, then drop back into gear again, just to make your starting easier?

post #26 of 27 Old 09-04-2014, 03:42 PM
Princeps Prior

You should always start your bike in neutral. Also get into the habit of pulling the cold start knob before cold starting. Run 87 octane only. This should help

post #27 of 27 Old 09-05-2014, 04:30 AM
Honda919Rider #1

For whatever reason, I had to flip my kill switch on and off to get my 919 to start after something I did.

Can't remember what I did to fix it, I do know I thought it was a cool anti-theft feature.

Looking for the bright side, you know....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode