Power Commander - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 08-12-2014, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Power Commander

Folks keep telling me I need a Dynojet Power Commander. Never had my 919 on a dyno but it runs clean, plugs look great and the Sato cans make it sound fantastic. Am I missing more power by not installing a Power Commander?

What have the members experiences been with one?

If favorable who's the best source for buying one and where do I find some maps?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-12-2014, 09:07 AM
Squidword

Garage
I was told that you're never really sure you've gotten all you can out of your mods unless you get control of your fuel/air mixture and have your bike dyno tuned. So, when I put my cans on & switched to a K&N air filter, I got a PC III and had it dyno tuned. Everyone's results will vary. My tuning report showed 110 HP & 70 Ft.LBS but then some folks here accused me of lying. So I just stopped posting on that thread as I don't need that crap.

Bottom line is, it's up to you if that 1-4 HP extra is worth it. I thought I would play with the PCIII much more than I do, but I just don't have time for that right now in my life. I'm happy just to get time to ride!

year? Rickman 125 moto-Xer (Junked)
1974 Yamaha RD350 (sold )
1984 Honda VF500F (sold)
---19 years out of the saddle---
2007 Honda 919
post #3 of 12 Old 08-12-2014, 09:22 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Power Commander won't necessarily give you more power. It may, perhaps, give more power or torque in specific RPM ranges, but that's not the point of it. It's to smooth out fuel delivery so that the bike doesn't have dead spots and/or snatchy throttle.

Lots of threads hammering this subject out, but really it's personal preference. If it works for you as is, then don't bother installing it.

One thing for certain, if you're after more power - Power Commander is NOT the route. There is not much you can do on the 919 to squeeze out more power. More open pipes is probably the one thing that may add 1-3 ponies and is the easiest HP gain.

That or change up the gearing if you're looking for more acceleration.

Oh, as for maps, everything we have regarding the 919 (including PC maps) is here in a dropbox folder, take a look:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ra9j3gn4c...qU3ZOL4JuwuBKa

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2006 Honda 599 - Wanda
2007 Honda CB900F (click for pics -sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel

post #4 of 12 Old 08-12-2014, 11:15 AM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
It's to smooth out fuel delivery so that the bike doesn't have dead spots and/or snatchy throttle.....it's personal preference. If it works for you as is, then don't bother installing it
Yeah, this here.

My bike was super-snatchy going on and off the throttle in 1st gear, and I drive a lot in slow-moving traffic, so the smoothing-out effect made the PC a total win for me. Others report little difference, and don't know what the fuss is about...

post #5 of 12 Old 08-12-2014, 01:02 PM
TEXAN

Me three, the smoother throttle was worth the effort. Bumping the tune for a 4000 foot altitude was a bonus.

post #6 of 12 Old 08-12-2014, 04:00 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
Yeah, this here.

My bike was super-snatchy going on and off the throttle in 1st gear, and I drive a lot in slow-moving traffic, so the smoothing-out effect made the PC a total win for me. Others report little difference, and don't know what the fuss is about...
Mine was like this as well.
Until the PC3 went on, was properly synched, and had a good map installed.
Now it's like a rheostat.

post #7 of 12 Old 08-12-2014, 07:46 PM
Centurion

I've had with & without the PC3 (I have Satos also). Currently no PC3--took it off after my bike became always hard to start. I don't really miss it. On other bikes I would not dream of not having one but the 919 is fine without imho. Look at the map values for the 919--not huge changes from stock vs. my other bike that has huge changes from stock.

post #8 of 12 Old 08-12-2014, 08:10 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
I've had with & without the PC3 (I have Satos also). Currently no PC3--took it off after my bike became always hard to start. I don't really miss it. On other bikes I would not dream of not having one but the 919 is fine without imho. Look at the map values for the 919--not huge changes from stock vs. my other bike that has huge changes from stock.
Small changes in fueling at certain co-ordinates have more effect than one might imagine.

post #9 of 12 Old 08-12-2014, 08:13 PM
McTavish

I gotta laugh.
This is fuel injection month.
It seems to have been dead on this matter all summer, then bang, August rolls around and suddenly there's a flare up.
Maps, PC nuances, etc.
Great to see, I was kinda missing it .................

post #10 of 12 Old 08-12-2014, 10:14 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
Fully disagree.

I have Satos (Previously Enrions) and pcIII with proper tune made a world of difference. Cold start issue was very easily worked around to the point it became a non-issue.

I couldn't ride the 919 (especially in very wet conditions and/or in high traffic) as the throttle was just too damn snatchy. PCIII and tune made it so where no matter what throttle, it was predictable and I could walk it down to 800-900 rpm with brake applied before needing to pull in the clutch.

post #11 of 12 Old 08-13-2014, 01:55 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I sold my PowerCommander to a fellow member here. We then took our 919s out and did several roll-ons. No difference. As far as snatchieness, with out the PC, It was creamy smooth. Elevation varies from 450-900 ft. Big waste of money for me.

The fuel injection was perfect on my 07 600 RR. I miss that bike. Honda knows fuel injection.

post #12 of 12 Old 08-13-2014, 03:02 AM
Left of Centre

There you go. Only took 11 responses to get the full range of experiences...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode