Pilot Road 3's - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
About time I changed this

Pilot Road 3's

Has anyone tried these? If so how do they compare? All I've ever ridden was:

-Stock tires on my SV (Dunlops) anyway, they were terrible...
-Pilot Power 2CT on my friends ZX6R
-Pirelli Diablo Rosso's on my friends SV

I'm thinking of getting a set, found some for 300 (360$ installed) for my 919 and I'm tempted (even if it means I'm going to be eaten ramen for a month haha!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

i Have them on my hawk right now. they handle as good as my roadsmarts did on my 919, I only have 200miles on them so far so cant say too much about them. Well they are ugly as sin. look like winter tires

post #3 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Le So Cal Troll

i ran the road 2's my last set of tires on my 9er, and they inspired tons of confidence, very neutral profile, so they rnt super tipy. Only had one real bad slip that caught me off guard, but i attribute that to me drasticly changing rear suspension settings....

for your typical semi aggressive rider the road 2's were great. and if the road 3's are the same or better than the road 2's they should be an awesome tire.

That stated i have been runnin pilot power 2ct's now, the riding i do... 90% canyon aggressive riding, led to the road 2's wearing out rather quickly on the edges... pluss id take the extra traction of the power's for the slight decrease in life. if i was doing any sort of commuting tho, road 2's (road 3's) would be my choice.

one thing i will say that i didnt like about the road's was the fact that they had so many "perpendicular to travel" grooves at the extreme edges, which doesn't IMO provide any grip in a lateral motion in a hard corner.

post #4 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
i ran the road 2's my last set of tires on my 9er, and they inspired tons of confidence, very neutral profile, so they rnt super tipy. Only had one real bad slip that caught me off guard, but i attribute that to me drasticly changing rear suspension settings....

for your typical semi aggressive rider the road 2's were great. and if the road 3's are the same or better than the road 2's they should be an awesome tire.

That stated i have been runnin pilot power 2ct's now, the riding i do... 90% canyon aggressive riding, led to the road 2's wearing out rather quickly on the edges... pluss id take the extra traction of the power's for the slight decrease in life. if i was doing any sort of commuting tho, road 2's (road 3's) would be my choice.
Sweet, thanks.

I'd go with Pilot Power 2CT though I'll be making a 250km trip to my hometown and back this summer every week or so and the PP2CT's would simply wear out too quickly on the highway.

On another note, I found the profile to be really nice from the pictures I saw. Are they really that ugly?

post #5 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooEasy View Post

On another note, I found the profile to be really nice from the pictures I saw. Are they really that ugly?
I think so, probably a personal preference but I'll stick with the PR2's

Michelin_Pilot_Road_3.jpg

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #6 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 03:41 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

I had Pilot Road 2's on my 919, loved them. Have them on my FJR as well, excellent tire. No experience with the Road 3's though.

post #7 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 03:42 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I am going to go with 3's next time, but seeing how I just put 2's on last summer I am going to be good for awhile.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #8 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Any quotes on mileage for the 2's? I've heard 10,000 miles, 15,000 yet I've also heard 4,000 miles. I know it depends on PSI, how you ride etc.. But I'd like a general consensus from the guys here.

post #9 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Tesserarius

This is a quote from Rob that I pulled from another thread.

"Frankly, I want my tires to be ready for anything that gets thrown their way without having to play with pressures, so I run my PR2's at 26 to 29 front and 28 to 31 rear all the time.. At those pressures and a combination of Malibu twisties and 100 mile a day commute they lasted 10,000 miles rear and over 12,000 miles front. That's a low average.

Given the Michelin's no warmup, excellent manners, unequalled wet traction (well, exclusive of racing full wets which would last all of 5 miles in the dry), and longevity, they will be my tires of choice for the foreseeable future."

I only have 500 miles on mine so I can not attest to longevity, but after reading Rob's post I have set my pressures at 32/36 and Hope to hit 15,000 miles. I am tempted to drop the rear to 34, but my 9'er sees way too many highway miles.

post #10 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Excellent, now I have a good idea of where to set my psi depending. Thanks! (knowing me I'll prob end up doing it though it'll wait till June). Stock 919 tires only have 1500 miles on em anyway. Speaking of which, are they really that bad?

post #11 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Survivor/Broken&Busted

Awards Showcase
Community Service Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I've got a set of PR2's on my 954 and on my 600 .... the ones on the 600 have a lil over 14,000 miles on them and have about another thousand (maybe a lil less) before they're shot ... the ones on my 954 are just now gettin scrubbed in good ... I road on the dragon with PR2's last year and never had a single issue with traction ... i commute on my 600 as well, and they hold up great to all types of riding ... Hell I even rode my 600 all the way from louisiana to atlanta, GA with a passenger and then had a short trailering trip up to tellico plains, TN .... then rode it all the way back to louisiana ... so if the road 3's are anything like the 2's (minus the looks) then they will be an EXCELLENT tire ...

... Never take life too seriously ... Nobody gets out alive anyway ...
post #12 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 05:01 PM
The Cripple

stock tires were terrible at best... they were horrifying in the wet to say in the least (my experience).

running pr2's as well with over 6k miles on em and they dont look half worn either. this is mostly freeway miles with 1-3 weekend outings on the twisties. their performance in the rain is by far the best i've tried and i have high expectations since i ride in the rain almost daily.

i'll be getting another set of these for sure!

post #13 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 05:07 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

I've been doing a lot of research on the PR2, and PR3's (what little is out there on this new tire), and sounds like the 3's are better in the rain, 2's have better dry grip. I have PR2's on my 919, and they handle everything I've thrown at it (on the street).

I'm on the fence, wondering if the PR2's can handle a few track days, on a 600 at that. I don't want to be a sad guinea pig, if you know what I mean.

post #14 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Tesserarius

yostevo052 & Pvster what kind of pressures are you guys running?

post #15 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 06:10 PM
The Cripple

same as robs.

post #16 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 06:47 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

post #17 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Canyon Junkie

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Nice find on the chart, Shmoo! I'm going to look for one for Dunlops, I'm curious now! Dave

Are we having fun yet?
post #18 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Sixty-9er

Got 12k out of my 2s, I run 36/42

"Grip it and Rip it!"
post #19 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrock86 View Post
This is a quote from Rob that I pulled from another thread.

"Frankly, I want my tires to be ready for anything that gets thrown their way without having to play with pressures, so I run my PR2's at 26 to 29 front and 28 to 31 rear all the time.. At those pressures and a combination of Malibu twisties and 100 mile a day commute they lasted 10,000 miles rear and over 12,000 miles front. That's a low average.

Given the Michelin's no warmup, excellent manners, unequalled wet traction (well, exclusive of racing full wets which would last all of 5 miles in the dry), and longevity, they will be my tires of choice for the foreseeable future."

I only have 500 miles on mine so I can not attest to longevity, but after reading Rob's post I have set my pressures at 32/36 and Hope to hit 15,000 miles. I am tempted to drop the rear to 34, but my 9'er sees way too many highway miles.

i wish i could say the same.... i got at max 4.5k outta my pilot road 2 rear tire and probably coulda gotten 5.5k outta the front had i not changed them both at the same time. running typically 30 front 32ish rear.

The rear wore out on the edges first, i still had a good 1.5k left in the center of the road 2.... obviously i didnt get good milage out of them as 90% of my riding is twisty canyon was not good for those tires wear life / compound layout.

post #20 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

4.5k miles for a rear is still pretty good. I dont see the PP2CT coming anywhere close.

As stated I rode Pirellis Diablo Rosso's my friends bike and was really impressed. Not sure what the general consensus is on Pirellis in general?

post #21 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 07:27 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

Here's an interesting read I got off of my 600RR buddies:

Rosso Corsa, BT016, Power Pure, SportSmart (Q2), Metzeler Sportec M5.

Tyres June 2010 test.pdf

post #22 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
4.5k miles for a rear is still pretty good. I dont see the PP2CT coming anywhere close.

As stated I rode Pirellis Diablo Rosso's my friends bike and was really impressed. Not sure what the general consensus is on Pirellis in general?
not when i was expecting at least 8k given reports haha.

the pp2ct has 1.75k miles on it so far... i forsee at least 3-3.5k out of the rear at the current rate.

post #23 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
not when i was expecting at least 8k given reports haha.

the pp2ct has 1.75k miles on it so far... i forsee at least 3-3.5k out of the rear at the current rate.
Hmm thats better than I thought. I'll give them a go next season but I'm just too curious about the pr3s aka "snow tires"

post #24 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Hmm thats better than I thought. I'll give them a go next season but I'm just too curious about the pr3s aka "snow tires"
dont get me wrong the road 2's were awesome they were the tires that allowed me to get my first knee down etc etc, and if you ride alot in wet those road 3's look like the beez kneez! but my riding style does not suit the compound / compound layout of the road series for even wear and stiction.

post #25 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Flatulent

I like my Pilot Road 2's, I think I will stick with them in the future but I will most likely go to the "b" version. I currently have only about 4000 miles on them but they are squaring off in the middle, hoping the "b" version will help.

Of course, I live in eastern South Dakota and we don't have any twisties. Flat and straight as far as the eye can see. It also doesn't help that I am 260lbs. Poor bike has to hall my fat ass around.

Jon

post #26 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodakshooter View Post
I like my Pilot Road 2's, I think I will stick with them in the future but I will most likely go to the "b" version. I currently have only about 4000 miles on them but they are squaring off in the middle, hoping the "b" version will help.

Of course, I live in eastern South Dakota and we don't have any twisties. Flat and straight as far as the eye can see. It also doesn't help that I am 260lbs. Poor bike has to hall my fat ass around.

Jon
the B version just has extra bands if im not mistaken. or a stiffer sidewall. we are talkin for like a 750lb bike type weight... not usefull for the 919 IMO.

post #27 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Tirone

got about 8k off the stock Battle Axes
got about 10k off the Road Smarts - front tire got cuppy around 8k
going on 10k for the Road 2's - rear is pretty flat but not down to the wear bars.

daily commuter -weather permitting - i.e. above 35 degrees, not snowing, downpouring or drizzle below 45 degrees ( i have my limits for how cold and wet I want to be when I get to the office in the morning.)
52 miles round trip - 90% highway and straight. April through Nov. with a handful of days during the winter months if weather works out. Sprinkle in 1 or 2 rides in the canyons a month 50 - 100 miles per day trip from May to Sept. The canyons start on the edge of my town,.

Loving the 2's, better than the Battle Axes or Roadsmarts. I have them bead balanced. I love the consistency of the Road 2's. No surprises. Not really considering the 3's b/c I don't really need the wet traction as Colorado is not all that rainy. They have both in stock and on sale with free shipping at Competition Accessories website - www. compacc.com if anyone is looking.

Save some $$$ and get the 2's. Sorry I can't compare to the 3's but they look like they are real similar.

post #28 of 38 Old 04-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Aquilifer

I like the "regular" Pilot Powers - they stick, last and are a bargain ( compared to when they came out a few years back. )

post #29 of 38 Old 04-29-2011, 01:25 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
the B version just has extra bands if im not mistaken. or a stiffer sidewall. we are talkin for like a 750lb bike type weight... not usefull for the 919 IMO.
I believe you are correct. I bought the B version hoping they had a stiffer center compound, but was later informed they just have stiffer sidewalls.

post #30 of 38 Old 04-29-2011, 06:11 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 

I've run Road 2's twice on my Speed Triple, 2 sets of Conti Road Attacks, 1 set of Pilot Powers, and 2 sets of Pilot Race tires. I am currently running the Road 3's. My best mileage was on the Road 2's which both sets ended after about 8,500 miles. I am really hard on rubber due to my 230lbs, loads of wheelies, and rabbit starts. The Road 2's wore very evenly despite my nearly 75% use commuting on relatively straight roads. I tried many other tires but never was able to get the mileage and wear characteristics that I got from the Road 2's. I thought this time around I would try the Road 3's. I was able to pick them up for $284 shipped from MotorcycleSuperstore.com and I have a guy that changes them for me for $30 on the bike. So far I have about 3,000 miles on them. I ride in all weather, which here in Indianapolis has been primarily rain and love them! They wear evenly and really inspire confidence in inclement weather. I have about an 1/8" chicken strip on the rear and haven't once felt that the tire wouldn't hold the line. They heat up quickly and just plain stick. I really can't even tell that they have worn much! If I was running the Pilot Powers, I would be changing my tires right about now. I highly recommend this tire... I don't know if it is really any better than the Road 2's but will report my final mileage once I get there.

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #31 of 38 Old 04-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Le So Cal Troll

sounds like the road 3's are even better than the road 2's which were already an amazing tire!

post #32 of 38 Old 04-29-2011, 01:20 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

From an automotive stand point, the PR3 tread design seems iffy - when I used to run cars, that kind of tread design would cause tread block squirm, which leads to overheating. I know I saw a Michelin video somewhere, where these blocks were intended to flex, helping the water exit. And I'm sure these tires are fine, but looking at the tread gives me flash backs.

Shaughnessy, how does the front end feel under full load in the corners?

post #33 of 38 Old 04-29-2011, 03:48 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrock86 View Post
I believe you are correct. I bought the B version hoping they had a stiffer center compound, but was later informed they just have stiffer sidewalls.
Correct, I've called Michilin about this, the B rated tires are for a fully loaded(luggage) touring use, only the sidewalls are stiffer, not the tread.

post #34 of 38 Old 04-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post
From an automotive stand point, the PR3 tread design seems iffy - when I used to run cars, that kind of tread design would cause tread block squirm, which leads to overheating. I know I saw a Michelin video somewhere, where these blocks were intended to flex, helping the water exit. And I'm sure these tires are fine, but looking at the tread gives me flash backs.

i could see that being a problem had the sips made smaller lugs but the lugs are quite big still.

post #35 of 38 Old 04-30-2011, 01:56 AM
Pilus Posterior

I've read a couple of reviews on the 3's in New Zealand and the riders state they are better than the 2's (should be otherwise why make em!) - wet weather is noticeably better.

I'm getting near the end of the 2's I'm running but I'm going to the Conti Road Attack 2 - quite intrigued about the tyre curing etc to achieve a harder centre, sticky sides with the same compound. Also love the look and have previous good experience with Contis on other bikes.

post #36 of 38 Old 04-30-2011, 06:08 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

I had a set of the original Conti Road Attacks, got almost 10,000 miles out of them and still had tread left when I installed Pilot Road 2's. They didn't stick as well as the Michelins or feel quite as confidence inspiring, but boy did they wear like iron!

post #37 of 38 Old 04-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post

To be honest, anytime I use tires, I run the sport tire on the front and the sport touring tire on the rear. So I have no idea how a Road 2 or 3 front tire does. Currently running a Pilot Power 2CT which does great on the front with the Road 3 on the rear. Front tire doesn't see the ground frequently.

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #38 of 38 Old 05-01-2011, 07:12 AM
just ride it...

I haven't used the PR3s yet, but the PR2s are great tires. For normal street/sport touring I have been extremely pleased. I've flogged them pretty good at the dragon without slippage. granted I'm no pro, but I'm not a slouch either. Excellent wet weather grip. And great Mileage. around 10-12k from a set.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode