One of two headlight options - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Islandboy
  • 1 Post By draco880

post #1 of 18 Old 04-26-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

One of two headlight options

Hey all, had the bulb go out on my high beams the other day, and figured this would be a good time to look at upgrading. I read the threads here re: drop-in replacements, which seems like the way to go. I found, again via the threads here, a listing for the Nighthawk here, $250-ish.

Also found a listing for the Trucklite, here.

Seems like both are well-liked here, both take a minor amount of monkey work to get in, but one is a hundred bucks more. I don't mind paying for light at all, and in fact am doing a lot more riding at night and in the sticks these days. I think the situation in which I'd really like a new headlight to shine is a rural road of moderately shitty quality, without streetlights. I do a lot of highway time and similar at night in the city, but I've never really had an issue seeing the road there. I would like to retain two levels of light, and am curious if I need an adapter to drop either of these into the stock wiring.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-26-2019, 02:12 PM
919 Rider

From what I could see no adapter required. Both units would plug straight into the stock wiring. Also looks like you could use the cb500 headlight rim assembly as well to fit either into the stock bucket.

post #3 of 18 Old 04-26-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
From what I could see no adapter required. Both units would plug straight into the stock wiring. Also looks like you could use the cb500 headlight rim assembly as well to fit either into the stock bucket.
Awesome, thanks man.

post #4 of 18 Old 04-26-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

[QUOTE= Also looks like you could use the cb500 headlight rim assembly as well to fit either into the stock bucket.[/QUOTE]

Like this one? Would sure beat the hell out of fabbing something.

post #5 of 18 Old 04-26-2019, 03:44 PM
919 Rider

That's the one you need. It seems to be an old way to fix headlights into jeeps and such and was adapted to suit early jap motorcycle headlight assemblies.
You will have to slightly modify your stock bucket. The holes are in a slightly different position and there is an extra hole at the top. A small collar/spacer is needed for the top bolt as well to prevent the bucket plastic from crushing, couple of bucks.
This assembly is very solid and will give you left/right adjustment too.
There are a few threads on fitting this assembly. I'll see if I can find one. I've done it this way and couldn't be happier.
Stock headlight sux.

post #6 of 18 Old 04-26-2019, 06:06 PM
919 Rider

Here's that thread link.
Truck-Lite LED Headlight installation https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums...ad.php?t=58378
I'm thinking this would work with the Nighthawk unit as well cause it's got the same locator keys/tabs on the rear of the unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180412_122358-1-1-1_1556327115751.jpg (128.7 KB, 23 views)

post #7 of 18 Old 04-27-2019, 02:29 AM
Princeps Prior

I'm wondering how the Truck-Lite compares to the ones that are 1/3 the price. Is there some reason it's 3X the price of other lights?

post #8 of 18 Old 04-27-2019, 06:31 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I did the GE Nighthawk, but at the time it was ~$150. I believe that the Truck-Lite is pretty much the same light, so I would go for that one if it was between the two.

post #9 of 18 Old 04-27-2019, 02:13 PM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Let me know how it works out for you, one of the biggest complaints I have with this bike is the poor illumination.

post #10 of 18 Old 04-28-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Cool, gonna go with the Truck-Lite and the linked mounting bucket. It seems like there's a premium price for Truck-Lites that are identical but for being heated, which is not a feature I need.

post #11 of 18 Old 05-04-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Alright, perhaps a stupid question, where'd you put all the electrics crap that's in the bucket normally? The Truck-Lite looks like it's going to take up most of that space.

post #12 of 18 Old 05-04-2019, 03:22 PM
919 Rider

Some of the main harness loom, big one wrapped in black electrical tape, can be pulled back under the tank. Also some connectors can be rerouted and stored where the pair valve was located. But only if you have removed the pair valve.

post #13 of 18 Old 05-04-2019, 03:26 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

I didn't have any issue with putting the electrics back in with the Nighthawk, which I think is identical to the Truck Lite. I think those (LED) headlights take up less space that the stock lights.

post #14 of 18 Old 05-04-2019, 04:05 PM
919 Rider

Yeah I should add I used a different style Led unit. I was concerned with heat output from the rear of the unit. Good airflow and keeping the wire loom from touching rear of Led unit were my goals.
marylandmike likes this.

post #15 of 18 Old 05-05-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Hey all, as it turns out, a good amount of the crap in mine was a converter for the very much not-stock light that was in there. Got the Truck-Lite in, love it, but the bucket that's in there now is way too big, there's like an inch of gap at the top. A 7" should fit in the stock bucket, right? I've got a Partzilla order coming up soon anyway.

post #16 of 18 Old 05-05-2019, 04:28 PM
919 Rider

I got no answers.
Did you use the Cb500 ring assembly?
Post a pic.
Could you center the led unit better and use that one side sticky rubber foam strips to seal.
I've used those cheap Chinese headlights just for the buckets before. Buy them off eBay, about $30, and fling the light unit. The bucket isn't that much different from the stock. The plastic is a little thinner, access holes at back a little different and have a slightly smaller volume.
The OEM are expensive for just a plastic bucket, but they are better.

post #17 of 18 Old 05-10-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
I got no answers.
Did you use the Cb500 ring assembly?
Post a pic.
Could you center the led unit better and use that one side sticky rubber foam strips to seal.
I've used those cheap Chinese headlights just for the buckets before. Buy them off eBay, about $30, and fling the light unit. The bucket isn't that much different from the stock. The plastic is a little thinner, access holes at back a little different and have a slightly smaller volume.
The OEM are expensive for just a plastic bucket, but they are better.
Hey man, did use the ring assembly you recommended, which fit great. My strong suspicion is that the bucket that's in there isn't stock; the light that was in there wasn't and there were a ton of extremely dubious aftermarket things on the bike when I got it. Since it's cheap and easy I'll just order a normal 7" bucket off Partzilla or whatever and slap it in. I could seal up the bucket I have as you outlined, but it's a big gap, and I think I'd get more secure mounting out of something new. The modification for the third bolt worked fine, but I can make it prettier and more secure if I start with something kinda the right size, I think.

Incidentally, love the LED unit itself. Back into 'annoyingly bright' territory, which is exactly what I wanted. Right now it has a slight glimmer, which I think I'm actually not going to fix, as it improves visibility.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.
marylandmike likes this.

post #18 of 18 Old 05-21-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Yeah, turns out the bucket in there isn't remotely stock, it's for a Honda but definitely not a 919. I modified an OEM bucket as per the posts here, worked really well. I really like the Truk-Lite over, well, whatever the hell I had before, can't comment on what the stock headlight does. I will say that this is a project that really benefits from a dremel, and I found that the correct order of operations for the headlight helps a lot. I did it like this: Take bucket out, measure, drill and dremel, bolt the light in to check, then take it out. Bucket goes back on, stuff wiring in, add in the wonky little wire-holding brackets, then the headlight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode