OEM style gauges from China - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 08-21-2015, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

OEM style gauges from China

Just wondering if anyone has purchased these. I wrecked my 919 and my gauge cover got smashed. Also, temp gauge and neutral light stopped working. They look identical but I'm leery of an aftermarket part made in China. What do ya'll think? Here is the link.

Speedometer Gauges Cluster Tachometer for Honda Hornet 900 CB900 CB919F 02 07 | eBay

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-21-2015, 03:22 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceslick View Post
Just wondering if anyone has purchased these. I wrecked my 919 and my gauge cover got smashed. Also, temp gauge and neutral light stopped working. They look identical but I'm leery of an aftermarket part made in China. What do ya'll think? Here is the link.

Speedometer Gauges Cluster Tachometer for Honda Hornet 900 CB900 CB919F 02 07 | eBay
I'm not really in the know , but the 2002 - 2007 don't use the same parts as listed.
In the listed they don't make a note of 2 parts so might want to question the seller on that.

post #3 of 9 Old 08-22-2015, 04:41 PM
Raddock

Mine just quit working (no speedo, no tacho, no odo -meter) and I was looking at the same thing. I bought some turn signals from China and I regretted it after that. Also look at the long delivery times... I know that they look "inexpensive", but I don't trust aftermarket parts made in China anymore.

I wanted to buy something used, but Mr. CB700S snatched it from under me at $150... Keep an eye open on E-bay - I am sure something will come up.

I just did not want to wait anymore and ended up ordering OEM insides for $468.00 today (my housing is intact) - My wallet is hurting like hell, but it's not as bad as PMS'ing (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome)
Parts will be installed by mid next week and guess what - I will have a 2004 Hornet with 0 miles on it!

Doc Hornet
Certified Streetfighter Enthusiast
2004 Honda Hornet Owner

post #4 of 9 Old 08-22-2015, 06:17 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I just got one of the chinese cluster housings (no electronics) to do some mock up work with, they look ok but the quality is cheesy, plastic feels brittle most of the screw holes were never introduced to a drill bit, took a lot of twisting and cussing to get the pieces to go together and the rubber button covers aren't very flexible (the left one has so much glue on it it's unusable) I'm happy I'm only using this stuff for mock ups

Dan
post #5 of 9 Old 08-23-2015, 02:02 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Hornet919 View Post
I wanted to buy something used, but Mr. CB700S snatched it from under me at $150... Keep an eye open on E-bay - I am sure something will come up.

Dude, I gave you every chance to get it and made the only bid anyone made for the item on it at the very last second. :P You didn't even decide you wanted it until after the auction closed.

Next time, read the auction page.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #6 of 9 Old 08-23-2015, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks, ya'll. I had considered the gauge housing because it looks good in the picture. But after hearing your experience, i believe ill wait and keep looking.

post #7 of 9 Old 08-23-2015, 08:43 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Hornet919 View Post
Mine just quit working (no speedo, no tacho, no odo -meter) and I was looking at the same thing. I bought some turn signals from China and I regretted it after that. Also look at the long delivery times... I know that they look "inexpensive", but I don't trust aftermarket parts made in China anymore.

I just did not want to wait anymore and ended up ordering OEM insides for $468.00 today (my housing is intact) - My wallet is hurting like hell, but it's not as bad as PMS'ing (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome)
Parts will be installed by mid next week and guess what - I will have a 2004 Hornet with 0 miles on it!
Did you make sure yours didn't come unplugged from the back of the board? This has been known to happen

post #8 of 9 Old 08-23-2015, 08:26 PM
Raddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post

Dude, I gave you every chance to get it and made the only bid anyone made for the item on it at the very last second. :P You didn't even decide you wanted it until after the auction closed.

Next time, read the auction page.
Hey Man, I was joking... hence the smiley, flower face... seriously, no hard feelings - like you've said, I was not set on what I was going to do... I had not even bothered with reading the auction page at all.

Doc Hornet
2004 Honda Hornet Owner
post #9 of 9 Old 08-23-2015, 08:28 PM
Raddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
Did you make sure yours didn't come unplugged from the back of the board? This has been known to happen
No, I have not. I have looked at a bunch of things, but not at that one! My bike is in the shop and they do not work on Monday's I will have to wait until Tuesday!

Thanks for the tip!

Doc Hornet
2004 Honda Hornet Owner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode