New rear tire today after 2ND FLAT! Opinions wanted, please! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 24 Old 04-21-2009, 07:32 PM
hairball919

Question New rear tire today after 2ND FLAT! Opinions wanted, please!

Many of you may recall the flat tire I recently had about a month or so ago on the freeway. Got it plugged with my fancy-shmancy Stop N Go tire plugger. You all asked me if I got a new tire and I kept asking "WHY? It's only a few months old !". (You can tell I'm not too hip on bike radials!) NO, I didn't replace the tire. The plug held for over a month... until today! Apparently something on my 200 mile ride today (after close to that yesterday and on top of the 700+ over the weekend!) like maybe a sharp pebble pushed the plug in. Yep, it went flat. The better news that the last time was that this time I was prepared with that overpriced $100 12-volt bike pump. Was on the road in no time! BUT apparently I reamed the hole too much this time because the plug didn't hold to well. So I was forced to stop at a local Honda Dealer and buy a new tire. The only problem was that they only had 4 rear tires in the size I needed for the 9'er. Unlucky for me they didn't have the all-famous Pilot Power in stock, and I was losing air!

My tire choice of the 4 they had (only 3 under $200)? The Pirelli Diablo Corsa 3. It seems like a nice tire, and it's a dual-compound (unlike my crappy Michelin Hi-Sport). Barton was right, my stock tires WERE garbage! It was real thin in the center, and was wearing a flat surface down the center after only less than 5000 miles. Anyway, it's gone now (in more ways than one).

SO, MY QUESTION OF YOU FORUM-ITES: Did I make a wise choice on the Diablo Corsa 3? I paid $180, which is about what they are online. I do like the tread pattern. It has a bit more grooves than most sportbike tires, but then I don't ride a sportbike so that's okay. I actually prefer just a few extra notches when I'm in the rain and when I'm coming out of a corner. Psychological I guess. Is this tire bad? Good? Decent? Or "it'll do for now"? The parts guy, who was sort of new there but was on the dealer's pro race team, seem to really know tires! He actually said I'd do better with this other tire but it was over $220 and I was already paying $44 for the mount and balance and another $30 for labor (plus oil & filter) for an oil change, so I wanted to keep the tire price under $200.

Did I do okay? Did I screw up? Is this tire going to be a mistake? I never ride in the rain, but once in awhile I may hit a wet patch of road from run-off or sprinklers or some other reason. Is this tire going to have good traction in the corners? Do you think it will grip a lot better than the old Michelin Hi-Sport that came on the bike? It did a great job in the corners and twisties, but now I have to get used to a new tire and tread pattern and compound, so it will be like riding a new bike again.

Please let me know how bad or good of a choice this tire was. Not sure why I'm so worried, I already forked out the cash and it's on. Not much I can do now. But I want to get piece of mind OR need to know if I need to be careful with this Pirelli Diablo Corsa 3.

Thanks for the advice or opinions. It will help me sleep better.

Seperate thread will be posted about how BAAAAAAD the service was at this Honda/Yamaha dealer, who have been there for a million years! But they sure made me wait, and even though the parts guy gave me 10% off on the tire, the service guy DID NOT. I paid full price, even after mentioning several times my HRCA and AMA memberships in hopes they would earn me a small discount. Apparently not. I felt totally ripped off, but after waiting OVER 2 hours, I wasn't about to start bitching, I just wanted to get home! After all, I was 40 miles from home.

THIS is the tire I got:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

shawn... the corsa's are great tires and that is not a horrible price... next month on the 16th of may (thats the sale day.) i am putting a set of pirelli diablo's on mine...

my buddy mike the manager at cycle gear here in ft lauderdale told me of the upcoming sale so i put money down for a set...

post #3 of 24 Old 04-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

DC3's are good for the street and can be used for the occasional track day by the novice or even intermediate rider.

Don't forget, you get a chance to win tickets to the WSBK w/ the Pirelli folks.

post #4 of 24 Old 04-21-2009, 08:34 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

you did good getting the tire. It will be much better than your old tires. Just go out and push it a little and you will notice a major difference.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #5 of 24 Old 04-21-2009, 08:45 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookmor View Post
you did good getting the tire. It will be much better than your old tires. Just go out and push it a little and you will notice a major difference.
no... don't push it... get that crap hi-point front tire off there and get a decent front tire THEN go push it a bit..

post #6 of 24 Old 04-21-2009, 08:58 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
no... don't push it... get that crap hi-point front tire off there and get a decent front tire THEN go push it a bit..

take a torch to the front tire to get it nice and sticky... then it will handle alright.

I have a rosso front, and it is nice. The Power 2 front is still chillin' in my closet. Been there for almost a month now.

post #7 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 05:47 AM
hairball919

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookmor View Post
...I have a rosso front, and it is nice.
That was the tire I almost bought for the rear, but it was only a single compound so I didn't get it. NOW you have me thinking: is it important to get a dual compound for the front if you have one on the rear? Or is the front less critical?

Dual or single for the front? Or do they even make dual compound fronts?

post #8 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 05:54 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

A lot of the features on these tires are beyond overrated.
Rider confidence is what the more expensive tires are really offering.
Dual compound is an awesome advance in tires, but not a safety feature. It just helps a sticky tires longevity.

As for holes in the tire... You side of the road fix is great and i applaud you for carrying what is necessary to get you off the side of the road. I am very comfortable with a patch/plug combo. I have but thousands of miles on tires with this fix and never an issue.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #9 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 06:05 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Your gonna love the DC - great tire , that has actaully surprised me on how long its lasted on my Tuono - Ive got 3600 miles on the rear with 2 trackdays and its just now starting to go off a bit - As for wet weather - They are awesome ! A few years ago myself and a couple of buddies got cought in some rain, heavy rain to boot - and they were excellent , even allowing for no real speed drop off - Great in the rain !

post #10 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 06:11 AM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

i have run many kinds, but have now kindof settled into my like for pirellis. you will be far more satisfied with the tire than you were with the service! sorry to hear of yet ANOTHER dealer letting a potential return customer down.

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.
post #11 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 07:22 AM
hairball919

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrat View Post
... sorry to hear of yet ANOTHER dealer letting a potential return customer down.
Yeah, that place literally sucked in many ways. In the 2+ hours I wandered and sat and wandered and sat and almost dozed off a few times, I overheard a LOT of potential sales lost because they were too firm on their pricing and wouldn't accept the customer's final cash offer. Hey, it's riding season, so I can see their concept that eventually the next guy might buy. But geez, give us a break! When you haggle with customers and accept a few dollars of loss from your commission, you earn a return customer who may spend more next time not to mention their parts purchases. I even overheard a customer asking WHY they wouldn't honor a price that was advertised in their newspaper ad! The salesman said because "that was a Bonus Bucks deal that expired a few days ago", so NO the guy could NOT get his ATV for $7800 cash! The price was $8500, take it or leave it. The guy left!

As for MY experience: Being told by the service guys in the back that YES, they did have time to get a customer's tire changed that was going flat by the service doors, then not getting to it until the customer almost left was a bunch of BS! I bitched to several people about the wait, and said my bike was about to fall over! (You know, they don't stand too well on their kickstands with flat rear tires). Anyway, it wasn't until I went to the parts guy who sold me the tire and said I'll just put some air in the tire and ride home, then buy my $180 tire and oil change somewhere else, that he went to the service counter and checked. The service advisor who first wrote me up walked over and apologized, THEN they finally got it started.

And promising me 10% but NOT honoring that discount also sucked.

I will NEVER, EVER, if it was the last dealer on the planet, spend my money at that Honda dealer again. Hell, next time I'll just call my Emergency Road Service and have the bike taken to my house! It would have been faster anyway! But everyone locally swears these guys have the top best service guys in Western Washington just because some famous pro rider works there. BFD! Pro Riders don't mean you'll get any better service!

The dealer I'm referring to (and you folks familiar can object and rebutt all you want, I'm only talking about MY experience) and will forever avoid at all costs? The bike dealer with the most unfriendly sales staff, "holier than thou" service advisors, and "yes we can but no we won't" mechanics? And who the f*ck cares if they're an authorized Power Commander Tuning Center with DynoJet dyno? Does that make them any better at customer service? Not in my opinion!

Brothers Honda/Kawasaki in Bremerton, WA!

Okay, I'm done venting! I couldn't find the correct thread to voice my outcry so I just did it here. Don't hate me.

post #12 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 07:29 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

hairball my friend had a Rosso rear on his SV when it was first coming out, and he loved it, but he said it felt like the Rosso was dragging the stock front Dunlop around.

post #13 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Most places don't give discounts on labor, just parts.. The shop that sponsored our club gave us discount on one or the other, not both.

2 > 4
post #14 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 07:41 AM
hairball919

Looks like the majority rules here...

The discount I mentioned was for parts, not labor. In fact, if I recall, it was actually "on sale" for a bit less but I was charged their regular price, on top of not getting the promised discount. Screwed in several ways yesterday! Oh well, THIS is one way we find good or bad shops: we learn from experience (especially in "emergency situations").

BUT: Apparently I made a wise choice from the 4 I had to choose from! Yippee!

Only issue now is that I really like the tread pattern on the front Michelin Hi-Sport that came on the bike. But the replacement Pirelli DC3 for the front doesn't have this cool tread pattern. Front tires worry me a bit more in braking and cornering sometimes. So, will the DC3 for the front also be a wise choice? I've realized for many years that it's best to keep BOTH tires a matching set (same brand/same model). They tend to work best together. Hey, Pirelli doesn't test their rears with other tire brand fronts, do they? I didn't think so. I do know that tire makes spend literally millions of $ in R&D to design front and rear tires that get along and play well with each other. Besides, this was what I've heard from top techs I've met over the years. Makes sense to me.

So, it looks like although I'm not ultra fond of the DC3 front's tread pattern, I'm basically "stuck buying it" since I now have the DC3 rear.

Is the front comparible to the rear in you folks' opinion? Thanks again for the feedback and opinions. If bike tires are anything like car tires, you can ask 10 people and will get 10 different brands they each say is excellent or junk. But is seems like in my current situation, everyone so far is happy with the DC3.

(Now I gotta see how many slams I get in response to my negative review of Brothers Powersports.).

post #15 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 07:46 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairball919 View Post
Apparently I made a wise choice from the 4 I had to choose from! Yippee!

Only issue now is that I really like the tread patter on the front Michelin Hi-Sport that came on the bike. But the replacement Pirelli DC3 for the front doesn't have this cool tread pattern. Front tires worry me a bit more in braking and cornering sometimes. So, will the DC3 for the front also be a wise choice? I've realized for many years that it's best to keep BOTH tires a matching set (same brand/same model). They tend to work best together. Hey, Pirelli doesn't test their rears with other tire brand fronts, do they? I didn't think so. Besides, this was what I've heard from top techs I've met over the years. Makes sense to me.

So, it looks like although I'm not ultra fond of the DC3 front's tread pattern, I'm basically "stuck buying it" since I now have the DC3 rear.

Is the front comparible to the rear in you folks' opinion? Thanks again for the feedback and opinions. If bike tires are anything like car tires, you can ask 10 people and will get 10 different brands they each say is excellent or junk. But is seems like in my current situation, everyone so far is happy with the DC3.

(Now I gotta see how many slams I get in response to my negative review of Brothers Powersports.).
the dc3 front is a great tire... get that piece of shiiit hi-sport off there... ...

seriously shawn.. the pirellis are top of the line .... they are as good as any michelin, bridgestone, etc you can buy...

the "cool" tread pattern don't matter.. traction does... put the dc3 front and you will be amazed at how much better the bike feels and handles...

not to mention the confidence boost..

post #16 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 07:57 AM
hairball919

I'm going to, man! Dang, give me time! It's only the next morning! And the birds are still chirping!

Besides, it won't happen for a few days now because we're going to have a couple days of rain. And you know how much of a pansy I am about rain, in spite of being born and raised in America's wettest State!

And even though I'm not made of money (oh, wait, I am!) I still need to check my finances and see if I want to get one locally or online after I find the best deal. I don't doubt that the dealer I got my bike from will beat whatever sale price Cycle Gear comes up with. Oh, and I even checked Cycle Gear's website last night and it shows the DC3's are already "on sale", but they don't list the size I need. Figures!

But worry not, father, for I shall buy the DC3 front. Not because I got the rear DC3, and not because it's a great tire with great traction. ONLY because YOU want me to! Just let me wake up first!

Hey, I'm looking at prices right now online, and I find the rear DC3 varies in price so far from $180 to $200, so I guess I didn't get ripped off too badly on mine. Now I'll see how low I can find the front. Oh, BTW, Star Cycle doesn't sell Pirelli. Wassup wit dat?

post #17 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 08:02 AM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Corsa III's, Pilot Powers, and Dunlop Qualifiers are all pretty much equal. A magazine just reviewed like a hundred tires and the PP's won, but barely. Most is personal preference. I ride best on PP's. My buddy John likes DQ's, and some of my other friends like CIII's.

2 > 4
post #18 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 08:03 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairball919 View Post
, but they don't list the size I need. Figures!
dude... look again because if they don't have a 120-70-17 they need to lock the doors and go home.. that is THE sportbike front tire...

damn near everything takes that tire.. (or at least everything that matters )

post #19 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 09:02 AM
hairball919

Online prices found for Pirelli Diablo Corsa III, 120/70ZR-17

Pirelli Diablo Corsa III front tire ONLINE PRICES: 120/70ZR-17
Retailer/Their Price:
Solo: $136 with free shipping!
MC Superstore: $136 with free shipping!
Bike Bandit: $143
J&P: $145
Dennis Kirk: $148
MAW: $152
Phat: $156
Cycle Gear: $163 on sale! (in your face, barton)
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...AR_0301-0072_G

CyclePages: N/A
Competition Accessories: N/A
Cal Sportbike: N/A
Star Cycle: N/A
2-Wheel Performance: N/A
Fast Cycle Parts: N/A
A local dealer with online prices: $203 (which is list price!)

The N/A is places who either didn't sell Pirelli or didn't sell that model or size.

Three things I learned while searching:
1. Not all retailers sell tires. Most do, some don't, some not Pirelli.
2. This was about the first time in over 10 years that Dennis Kirk was actually cheaper than someone else on an item I searched for!
3. Again, Solo Moto Parts comes through as having the lowes price on the part I did an online search for! Not surprising. In fact, more than half the stuff I've bought for my bike was cheapest at Solo. And their customer service rocks! Plus, they offer FREE SHIPPING on orders over $99!

Now I just have to call my local Honda dealer when they open.

post #20 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 09:20 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

well the regular pirelli diablo... not the corsa ... is 109 ... and it will work just fine with the rear you have...

and its a 1000% improvement over the front tire you have...

that price is from cycle gear...

post #21 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Keep in mind that awesome tires do nothing without correct tire pressure! 36 front, 42 in the back. It just drops into corners, feels so much more stable, and agile when inflated properly.

2 > 4
post #22 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaStreetfigh View Post
Keep in mind that awesome tires do nothing without correct tire pressure! 36 front, 42 in the back. It just drops into corners, feels so much more stable, and agile when inflated properly.
These numbers are quite a bit higher than the advice I got at a track day.

For running on the track I was advised to start at 32 PSI front & back, then check pressure immediately after the first track session. Let a few PSI out and get them back down to 30-32 PSI. I checked pressure again after ~45 minutes of rest time and it had fallen to 28-29 PSI. I left it there and did another track session.

Upon returning the pressure was up to ~32 front and 35 back.
I kept tire pressures in the 30-32 PSI range (warm pressure) throughout the day.

I was specifically advised not to start with anything higher than ~35 PSI, and CERTAINLY not the max pressure of 42 PSI marked on the tire. At 42 PSI cold, you'll be running 50 PSI after a few minutes of spirited riding. This is WAY too high for decent traction.

At the higher pressures the size of the contact patch shrinks, tires take a lot longer to warm up, and you'll be sliding a lot more than with properly inflated tires.

Note:
Different tires take different pressures. Do your own tests. Be careful!

post #23 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 01:43 PM
hairball919

Thumbs up

I've been running 4 pounds below max psi on my bike, which seems perfect. Not rock solid, but in no way mushy. And bike friends and dealers say that's a perfect inflation.

I ordered my NEW Corsa 3 today from my Honda dealer where I got my bike: $143 plus tax. Seemed like a fair price. Sure I could have saved a few bucks online, but this way I get the dealer standing behind the product they sold me. It will be installed early next week when they get it from California.

So, I did what I thought was best: stuck with the matching tire for the front.

Yee-Hah!

post #24 of 24 Old 04-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Greg

I've never been happy with Michelins...good riddance! Anything is probably better. They are serviceable. That's it. Any good rear tire will run around $180 .....well.....some bad ones too...For wetter (not arid) climates I've ALWAYS used Metzelers. But I would quickly match up that Pirelli rear with a Pirelli front. The handling difference will AMAZE you. Not kidding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode