New rear shock options.. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

New rear shock options..

Ok, looked at Ohlins for my 919/900 Hornet, can't afford it so figured I'd try a Maxton, built to suit my weight/riding style etc etc and reasonably priced too... Does anybody know if they are they still in business?
I emailed and received a reply but am still waiting on a shipping quote from them.. Have emailed them a couple more times but no reply.
I tried calling but the phone rang out and went dead??

Anyone know if they are still going?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 04:16 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Maxton is out of SE Asia? If they're who I'm thinking, I saw them posting on E-bay last year around May. I'm not sure about them now but there's also Hagon out of UK. I'm sure shipping will be the same down under as it is to the States. Not sure what you'll pay for taxes though.

*edit: Maxton is out of UK as well. Interesting, which model are you looking at? GP10?

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #3 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Yeah they are in the UK, lots of IOM TT guys use them so figure they know their stuff.. They have a great reputation..

Yes possibly the GP10, although we didn't get as far as ordering as we seem to have lost contact so it could have been a different model.?

Cheers.

post #4 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 04:26 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlychan View Post
Yeah they are in the UK, lots of IOM TT guys use them so figure they know their stuff.. They have a great reputation..
So I guess by that logic if they really really knew their stuff and had a better reputation the World Superbike and MotoGP guys would use them instead of Ohlins right?

post #5 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

And... maybe if they had to pay for their ohlins, they would use something else

post #6 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 04:30 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Everybody pays for their Ohlins, even Rossi. It is well known in the industry that Ohlins does not sponsor any riders. Ironically the truth cannot be said for most other brands who do willingly give national level riders free shocks just so they can claim that a rider of that caliber is using their product.

post #7 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Well, I'll have buy something else, as I already said, Ohlins were too expensive... Maybe if I earned as much as Rossi etc I could afford buy some..

post #8 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 04:36 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Maybe, but you do get what you pay for and when it comes to aftermarket suspension what you are really purchasing is a greater margin of error and a larger margin of safety. Kinda hard to put a price tag on that especially when you are talking about spending 60-80% of the cost of a new Ohlins on an inferior unit.

post #9 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I understand what you are saying, but you can't really say Maxton or any other brand are inferior to Ohlins just because they are less expensive, It's all subjective..
My budget won't stretch to $1200 for an Ohlins, if it had It's possible would have bought one..
I was about to buy one of the street performance Ohlins which would have came in at similar to the Maxton ( I'm sure although it's less expensive than the bells and whistles Ohlins, it's not in any way inferior ) However, it was a 65 quid upcharge for a spring to suit my lardy fat arse..Again, my budget is kinda limited.. The Maxton would have built to my weight and riding style for a bit less money.

post #10 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #11 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 04:51 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

No I say they are inferior as a test rider who has tested just about every brand of suspension you can think of.

You should find a better suspension tuner. I spring every shock I sell to the riders weight with no upcharge... That's just the way it should be.

PS a couple guys building you a shock simply because they do not have them pre-built and sitting on the shelf is not a custom shock... They are simply going to grab a shock body and build it up to a spec sheet for that model bike. Several other manufacturers do the same thing and the problem with that is their resource pool is so small that they have to wait for the customer to complain about the shock before they know to make changes to it etc. Individual builds are also much more subject to human error when they don't get the valve spec correct or the right jet or spacer etc. it is much easier for a guy at a bench building one shock at a time to make a mistake than an assembly worker following a set BOM for an entire production run.

Ohlins has a team of 80+ engineers, test riders , cad guys etc that have the shock completely figured out and perfected long before end users even start taking delivery of their bike in most cases.

post #12 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 05:03 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

For the record I really do not care what suspension you buy or from who. I simply don't want you to shortchange yourself based on assumptions or half truths about the products you are interested in.

post #13 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
No I say they are inferior as a test rider who has tested just about every brand of suspension you can think of.

You should find a better suspension tuner. I spring every shock I sell to the riders weight with no upcharge... That's just the way it should be.

PS a couple guys building you a shock simply because they do not have them pre-built and sitting on the shelf is not a custom shock... They are simply going to grab a shock body and build it up to a spec sheet for that model bike. Several other manufacturers do the same thing and the problem with that is their resource pool is so small that they have to wait for the customer to complain about the shock before they know to make changes to it etc. Individual builds are also much more subject to human error when they don't get the valve spec correct or the right jet or spacer etc.

Ohlins has a team of 80+ engineers, test riders , cad guys etc that have the shock completely figured out and perfected long before end users even start taking delivery of their bike in most cases.
Thats ok, you like/sell ohlins, unfortunately they were too expensive for my budget..

I'm not fussed how they make it as long as it works for me and if it's built to suit my weight/riding style, thats even better..

It's all good, you ride around on your Ohlins, I'll buy to suit my limited budget..

post #14 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 05:06 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

An Ohlins HO201 costs about 600 quid what does the Maxton sell for?

post #15 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 05:24 PM
Tirone

Whats quid and i went to the ohlins website and they dont have matches for the honda cb900f 2002...help

post #16 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I can appreciate that and I wasn't trying to get into/cause an argument, I do like the look of the Maxton gear and they do have a good reputation, I'm not sure they have lied to me in any way regarding their products.. If i can get back in contact I'll maybe find out how good their gear is.., If not then I'll have to start saving for an ohlins...., I do appreciate you advice.. .

Quote:
For the record I really do not care what suspension you buy or from who. I simply don't want you to shortchange yourself based on assumptions or half truths about the products you are interested in.

post #17 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Left of Centre

Does YSS have a presence locally, where you are Charly?

Operating under the same kind of budgetary restraints as you, I bought one for my 03, and it's been good.

[I'm not a test rider nor a suspension tech, so I can't define this particular "good" for you, except to say that there wasn't not much good about the early shock I took off...]

I had the YSS shock tested before I installed it to see that it was the real deal, and the techs seemed to think it tested up ok. It's been in service now for a couple of years...

post #18 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Not 100% sure now what I was initially quoted on because we have lost contact so couldn't move forwards, think it was $410 plus the GST but that won't matter because it's export so no GST/VAT
that was without remote adjustment, which I'd prolly confuse myself with anyways.

post #19 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quid. british slang for pound stirling/money..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02hornetrider View Post
Whats quid and i went to the ohlins website and they dont have matches for the honda cb900f 2002...help

post #20 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

G00gl3it only paid 300quid for his Ohlins, but then he became a 5quid and bought a Tuono.

post #21 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I was scuba diving once an saw sick squid, so I paid back my mate a fiver an bought a lollypop with the other quid..

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
G00gl3it only paid 300quid for his Ohlins, but then he became a 5quid and bought a Tuono.

post #22 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 05:35 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Has anyone asked LDH how much he would sell the Ohlins for yet?

post #23 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Yes, that squid "joke" stank....

post #24 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Yes they do, I'm in South Oz, It runs to $700AUD for a YSS according to their website, I'd prolly look elsewhere at that kind of money .. Appreciate you mentioning it though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
Does YSS have a presence locally, where you are Charly?

Operating under the same kind of budgetary restraints as you, I bought one for my 03, and it's been good.

[I'm not a test rider nor a suspension tech, so I can't define this particular "good" for you, except to say that there wasn't not much good about the early shock I took off...]

I had the YSS shock tested before I installed it to see that it was the real deal, and the techs seemed to think it tested up ok. It's been in service now for a couple of years...

post #25 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlychan View Post
Yes they do, I'm in South Oz, It runs to $700AUD for a YSS according to their website, I'd prolly look elsewhere at that kind of money .. Appreciate you mentioning it though..
Yeah, fair enough, I got a new-old-stock one for a good bit less than that, which put it within my budget...

Good luck w yr search!

post #26 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Tirone

A stock one from like a 06-07

post #27 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 06:44 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Man, my dumb ass thought you were in England instead of Down Under

Still a good deal to be had though bro.

post #28 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Nah mate I'm in Oz.. I got smart in1988 an moved over here, mind you it's been a wee bit too hot these last few weeks, woulda loved some of the old British cold and rain an snow an ice and sleet an black ice and slush, an grit and furry engine cases.. .. er.. maybe not...

cheers for the offer..

Quote:
Man, my dumb ass thought you were in England instead of Down Under

Still a good deal to be had though bro.

post #29 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 08:16 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Wait, what's Maxton charging for their stuff? I know Hagon has theirs for around $500 shipped but the Ohlins that LDH mentions sounds like a good buy. Not sure if you know Charly but LDH is a dealer for Ohlins (Dan Kyle Racing is the company out of Cali).

If you're spending in the ball park of $400-$500, I would highly recommend waiting to save the extra $200 and get that Ohlins. If you want the bells and whistles, Ohlins with the external reservoir will run you $919 plus shipping but that's only for whatever is left on LDHs shelf. Then its back to the regular pricing.

I don't think LDH wanted to mention that he sells the stuff so it doesn't come across as a sell so there, I said it.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #30 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

t
Thanks, I know LDH is a dealer for Ohlins , the Maxton was quoted at 410 stirling/quid/pound not $$$'s as I earlier said..( there's no pound sign on my Aussie keyboard..)

Have this morning spoken with LDH, If I can't get any joy with contacting Maxton then I'll look at Ohlins,

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
Wait, what's Maxton charging for their stuff? I know Hagon has theirs for around $500 shipped but the Ohlins that LDH mentions sounds like a good buy. Not sure if you know Charly but LDH is a dealer for Ohlins (Dan Kyle Racing is the company out of Cali).

If you're spending in the ball park of $400-$500, I would highly recommend waiting to save the extra $200 and get that Ohlins. If you want the bells and whistles, Ohlins with the external reservoir will run you $919 plus shipping but that's only for whatever is left on LDHs shelf. Then its back to the regular pricing.

I don't think LDH wanted to mention that he sells the stuff so it doesn't come across as a sell so there, I said it.

post #31 of 35 Old 03-20-2013, 05:52 AM
Road Pilot

Garage
Quote:
I live in Oklahoma, how much is an Ohlins unit shipped in dollars? Currently in Nicaragua and won't be back till late April or early May. If the price is right I would be interested in shipping it to a friends house till I get back.

post #32 of 35 Old 03-20-2013, 03:05 PM
Road Pilot

Garage
Friend's*

post #33 of 35 Old 03-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Masochist grammar nazi?

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #34 of 35 Old 03-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Princeps Prior

My Penske is awesome. Have you priced them?

post #35 of 35 Old 03-20-2013, 06:26 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Masochist grammar nazi?

No, he just knows folks are watching...and appreciating his attention to detail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode