New bars = bad master cylander issue - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-12-2015, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Queens919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Forest Hills
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 1
 
New bars = bad master cylander issue

Hello all,

Recently joined the group and has happy to get a lot of ideas for my 02 919.

I recently put some of them in to practice and while most were as easy as described I ran into one issue.

I changed the stock bars to a no rise drag bar and everything is ok except for the position of the master cylinder. Because of the size & the position of the brake lines I cannot get this to be in any sort of ergonomic position.

Advice? Thanks in advance for the help.

image-2865874907.jpg

As you can see from the pic the right side is not in line with the left. It also through a if the mirror too.

I'm all ears.

Queens919 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 07-12-2015, 03:01 PM
Left of Centre
 
K1w1Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 3,471
Rep Power: 1
 
You could swap out your master cylinder for one which has a radial-mount layout [ie piston runs at right angles to bars, not parallel] and a remote reservoir, which might allow you a bit more space and flexibility.

K1w1Boy is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 07-12-2015, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Queens919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Forest Hills
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
You could swap out your master cylinder for one which has a radial-mount layout [ie piston runs at right angles to bars, not parallel] and a remote reservoir, which might allow you a bit more space and flexibility.
Thanks - I will start looking into that tonight. I appreciate your help.

Queens919 is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 07-12-2015, 04:03 PM
Left of Centre
 
K1w1Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 3,471
Rep Power: 1
 
No problem - it might be a matter of mixing and matching your componentry to end up with what you need in terms of fit on your pabars and feel at the lever.

M/c piston size is an important component in the latter part. I've ended up with a Gixxer radial m/c of 19mm driving some CBR600 calipers [bolt-on to the 919, same mount points] to get more bite and retian good feel.

Search the old threads for excellent brake information from the participants here - "master cylinder" a good search term.

Here's some of the stuff I've accumulated:

GSXR600/750 '04-'07 - OEM Radial Master Cylinder, 19.05mm
GSXR600/750 '08-'10 - OEM Radial Master Cylinder, 17mm

Yamaha R6/R1 - '5 newer - OEM Brembo Radial Master Cylinder, 16mm

RC-51/fireblade Front Brake Information
929-SP1 - Master Cylinder 19mm, Caliper pistons 34/32mm
954-SP2 - Master Cylinder 17mm, Caliper pistons 32/30mm
SP1 Brake Rotor Thickness 4.5mm
SP2 Brake Rotor Thickness 5.0mm

Other Information

2003-2004 CBR600RR mc 11/16” (17.4625 mm)
caliper pistons 32mm/30mm

2000-2001 CBR929RR mc 19mm
caliper pistons 34mm/30mm

2002-2003 CBR954RR mc 11/16” (17.4625 mm)
caliper pistons 32mm/30mm

2000-2001 RC51 mc 19mm
caliper pistons 34mm/32mm

2002-present RC51 mc 11/16” (17.4625 mm)
caliper pistons 32mm/30mm

1999-Present CBR600F4(i) mc 5/8” (15.87mm)
caliper pistons 34mm/32mm

Stock VTR Master Cylinder 14mm
caliper pistons 30mm/27mm

Updated list:

the 919 has caliper pistons sized 30mm and 27 mm and a M/C of 14mm.
a SP1 RC51 has caliper piston sized 34mm and 32mm and a M/C of 19mm
a SP2 RC51 has caliper pistons sized 32mm and 30mm with a M/C of 17.5mm

929 caliper pistons are 34mm and 30mm with a M/C of 19mm
954 Caliper pistons are 32mm and 30mm with a M/C of 17.5mm

K1w1Boy is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 07-13-2015, 07:34 AM
Old, Bold rider
 
robtharalson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 2,330
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Let's be practical here.

Sure, you could spend considerable time and money to get the bars to work by replacing all the front brake components. While you're at it you might as well install braided brake lines as well.

Or replacing the master cylinder with a 17.5mm radial unit from a Honda CBR1000. The angle problem will be solved, but there will not be a mirror mount. This is typical of most radial master cylinders.

Or obtain a set of risers to get the bars high enough to allow a proper angle for the master cylinder. Search Amazon.com for handlebar risers for lots of choices.

Or the least expensive approach is to obtain a different bar that frankly will be more comfortable than typical drag bars on rides much longer than a 1/4 mile. The biggest problem with straight drag bars is they are relatively wide, and with no pullback at all will require a very unnatural bend at the wrists to ride. Add to that the zero height above the mounts which will inevitably put much of your weight on your hands, making long rides very uncomfortable. Preferably something like this:Amazon.com: Emgo Superbike Handlebars - Chrome: Automotive

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
robtharalson is online now  
post #6 of 10 Old 07-14-2015, 04:45 PM
Optio
 
bartsitarski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL (Chicagoland)
Posts: 890
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
Let's be practical here. Sure, you could spend considerable time and money to get the bars to work by replacing all the front brake components. While you're at it you might as well install braided brake lines as well. Or replacing the master cylinder with a 17.5mm radial unit from a Honda CBR1000. The angle problem will be solved, but there will not be a mirror mount. This is typical of most radial master cylinders. Or obtain a set of risers to get the bars high enough to allow a proper angle for the master cylinder. Search Amazon.com for handlebar risers for lots of choices. Or the least expensive approach is to obtain a different bar that frankly will be more comfortable than typical drag bars on rides much longer than a 1/4 mile. The biggest problem with straight drag bars is they are relatively wide, and with no pullback at all will require a very unnatural bend at the wrists to ride. Add to that the zero height above the mounts which will inevitably put much of your weight on your hands, making long rides very uncomfortable. Preferably something like this:Amazon.com: Emgo Superbike Handlebars - Chrome: Automotive Rob
Plus one

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
bartsitarski is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 07-17-2015, 11:09 AM
Robert
 
HRC27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 1,126
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
If you really want a low bar go with Renthal Ultra Lows. Tons of members have used them without issue.

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
HRC27 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 07-17-2015, 11:12 AM
Optio
 
bartsitarski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL (Chicagoland)
Posts: 890
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC27 View Post
If you really want a low bar go with Renthal Ultra Lows. Tons of members have used them without issue.
I have a set of Renthal lows for sale.....

bartsitarski is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 07-17-2015, 01:18 PM
Robert
 
HRC27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 1,126
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
For reference (comes in black and other colors-not my pic).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 919motorcyclemods2007008.jpeg (59.5 KB, 26 views)

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
HRC27 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 07-17-2015, 03:15 PM
Princeps Prior
 
redline919's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,894
Rep Power: 1
 
+1 on the Ultra lows. So much more comfortable. Actually makes the bike feel like it easier to maneuver. Looks pretty good also.

ForumRunner_20150717_181413.png
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20150717_181449.jpg (43.9 KB, 29 views)

redline919 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome