Need a new tire... Which company? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 30 Old 06-02-2011, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Need money for parts.

Need a new tire... Which company?

So my rear tire is pretty toast. It's a Metzeler Sportec M-1. I really like it, but it's worn out now. Looking at a M-3. After reading in a number of forums it looks like the M-1 front and the M-3 rear work fine together. The M-3 is just the next revision in line. I know that there's a M-5 out, but I'm sticking with the M-3. I will probably switch to Pilot Powers front and rear on the next set.

On to the real question. They are basically the same price from ronayers and motorcycle-superstore.com

who has faster and better service?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 06-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Tesserarius

I have not had any experience with either company. I got my tires from jakewilson and was very satisfied.

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #3 of 30 Old 06-02-2011, 07:47 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I received great service from Motorcycle-Superstore.com on a gear purchase (Fieldsheer Pants).

As for tires, I've been finding my best deals at jakewilson.com. The prices are great and shipping is super fast.

Example Jake Wilson Pricing...
Metzler M3 - Metzeler Sportec M3 Rear Motorcycle Tire | Jake Wilson

Michelin Pilot Power - Michelin Pilot Power Rear Motorcycle Tire | Jake Wilson

EDIT: schrock86 posted while I was making my links. I agree with him.

Press Any Key To Continue.

post #4 of 30 Old 06-02-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Need money for parts.

i just checked you guys... jakewilson is cheapest. bonus good service per schrock!
going to give it another hour or so tonight to see if anyone else chimes in, but it's getting ordered tonight.

post #5 of 30 Old 06-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Pilus Posterior

Jeepers the M1's are old - If you still have one on your ride it will be a old tyre and I'd recommend throwing it out - check the sidewall for a makers date - it will be 5-6 years old.

M3's are still available and a bloody good tyre. Advancements over the M1 - better stick, wear and handling. You'll be pleased.

M5's better again apparently.

And ARHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I just looked at that link - F me up the rear I cannot believe how CHEAP tyres are in the USA. A set of M3's in New Zealand would cost me US$420 plus fitting! ANd that's a good price!

post #6 of 30 Old 06-02-2011, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Need money for parts.

just bought the m3 from jakewilson. bought the dynabead balancing kit also.

i know the m1 is old, but it's in awesome shape and it's still nice and tacky.

as for the date, I've looked all over that thing looking for it. Any hints as to what exactly i'm looking for and where approximately it will be?

post #7 of 30 Old 06-03-2011, 01:18 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganktor View Post
as for the date, I've looked all over that thing looking for it. Any hints as to what exactly i'm looking for and where approximately it will be?
have a look here

METZELER - Reading a Sidewall

3403 = the first 2 numbers identify the week (34 th ) and the last 2 the year (2003) in which the tyre was produced

post #8 of 30 Old 06-03-2011, 03:27 AM
Left of Centre

Yeah, what he said....these numbers are in a little oval embossed section of their own, near the other data on the tyre wall.
Once you've spotted them and know what they're telling you, you wonder how you could ever have missed them.
I learned about them from a YouTube clip of a Sixty Minutes show warning against buying NOS (car) tyres that have been drying out in a display rack outside low-turnover dealerships. They can delaminate and just let go, leaving the driver in very dire straits.
The show told the very tragic story of a dad who paid for such tyres for his son's van before a road trip, thinking he was keeping his boy safer, only to have them fail, with fatal consequences. Very sobering.

post #9 of 30 Old 06-03-2011, 05:20 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
I just looked at that link - F me up the rear I cannot believe how CHEAP tyres are in the USA. A set of M3's in New Zealand would cost me US$420 plus fitting! ANd that's a good price!
I just mounted a brand new set of Pilot Power tires on my bike last weekend. Total cost was right at $196. Maybe it helps that my uncle has a pneumatic mount machine at his house. Too bad none of you live super close. I'd change your tires for free.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #10 of 30 Old 06-03-2011, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Need money for parts.

... I've got one too at the in-law's about 1/8 mile away

post #11 of 30 Old 06-03-2011, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Need money for parts.

Quote:
have a look here

METZELER - Reading a Sidewall

3403 = the first 2 numbers identify the week (34 th ) and the last 2 the year (2003) in which the tyre was produced
looked into it. Thanks for the info too!! I was all over the net looking for a legend like that, but never thought to go to metzeler for it.

Turns out the front tire is from Dec 2006. I talked on the phone with LDH the other day and he said anything 6 years or older he would stay away from for a street tire. I've got at least this summer and probably next that I should be OK then, judging by date. I'll probably need new tires next year anyways.

Thanks for the advice and help everyone!

post #12 of 30 Old 06-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Pilus Posterior

Odd question - when you receive the tyre from JW is it wrapped or do they just throw a delivery label on it?

Asking because as stupid as it sounds I can order a set of M3's (or PP) from them shipped to New Zealand and even after fitting here I'd save myself $200! That's some good petrol coin!

Cheers

post #13 of 30 Old 06-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Odd question - when you receive the tyre from JW is it wrapped or do they just throw a delivery label on it?

Asking because as stupid as it sounds I can order a set of M3's (or PP) from them shipped to New Zealand and even after fitting here I'd save myself $200! That's some good petrol coin!

Cheers
The 2CT's I ordered from Motorcycle-Superstore came in boxes.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #14 of 30 Old 06-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Tesserarius

+1 on jakewilson , then google jakewilson coupon and see what you get.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro
post #15 of 30 Old 06-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Seņor Calamares

Quote:

Cheers
They come well wrapped in several layers of thick "saran wrap" material.

post #16 of 30 Old 06-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by applespeed View Post
They come well wrapped in several layers of thick "saran wrap" material.
Mine were wrapped too, very well.

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #17 of 30 Old 06-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Pilus Posterior

Cheers. As much as I want to support my local shops, I am seriously considering importing these - shit they are the exact same tyre and I have young mouths to feed!

post #18 of 30 Old 06-03-2011, 05:41 PM
The Cripple

do it allan!

post #19 of 30 Old 06-08-2011, 01:07 AM
Dead Wrong

Garage
Best tire I have used... M5

post #20 of 30 Old 06-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Left of Centre

Given that Pirelli appears to now own Metzeler, anyone know how much similarity there is between those two brands of tyre? The Diablos and the M series, f'rinstance?

post #21 of 30 Old 06-09-2011, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Need money for parts.

I was actually wondering that also. The M5 Interact and the Pirelli Diablo look very similar as far as carcass design.

Also... UPS has my tire scheduled for delivery sometime today! Will take a pic for anyone interested in how jakewilson packages.

post #22 of 30 Old 06-09-2011, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Need money for parts.

got it today. mounted it too, but was too busy trying it out to post a pic of it mounted .

I also bought dynabeads and used them. I didn't try it without them, but I can't feel any tire vibration up through 130 or so.

FYI, this is how jakewilson ships tires. Not a big deal to me, but if you were wondering, here it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img059.jpg (226.8 KB, 9 views)

post #23 of 30 Old 06-12-2011, 01:03 AM
Left of Centre

Hey Allan,

I ordered a couple of Jake Wilson tyres a week ago. The Fedex parcel tracker shows they are in Akld and I might have them in the next couple of days. Will post to tell you about it once they're here.

post #24 of 30 Old 06-12-2011, 02:54 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
Hey Allan,

I ordered a couple of Jake Wilson tyres a week ago. The Fedex parcel tracker shows they are in Akld and I might have them in the next couple of days. Will post to tell you about it once they're here.

Excellent. Time to crack out the credit card I think. What tyres did you buy?

post #25 of 30 Old 06-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Left of Centre

A pair of Pirelli Diablos, arrived today - 7 day delivery from Utah - pretty impressive.

Feel the same way you do about trying to support local businesses, but also have mouths to feed, and saved $150 on best locally advertised price....

post #26 of 30 Old 06-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Pilus Posterior

Stuff it - I'm getting some too then. Yep - silly prices in NZ for tyres - everywhere else the likes of Pilot Powers, M3's are at special factory lowered prices - not here. And the exchange rate is very good.

post #27 of 30 Old 06-13-2011, 01:13 AM
Pilus Posterior

Done it. A pair of big black donuts heading my way. By the time I pay for fitting I will still have $180 plus in my back pocket compared to local pricing! A sad day really NZ. I am sure the middle man is the one making the big $ not the poor retailer.

post #28 of 30 Old 06-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Left of Centre

Exchange rate is as good as it's ever going to get, I think! How's the rattle and roll?

post #29 of 30 Old 06-17-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Need money for parts.

so.... new tire vs old tire.

I have a Koso RX-2n installed. It has a 0-60 timer built in (or whatever speed you want really, you program it).
The old M-1 tire, which was old, got 4.0 seconds 0-60 for my best time on a warm day with a warm tire.
The new M-3 got 3.2 on my first try.
I will admit, I am getting more comfortable with the bike, so that probably has something to do with it, and there's still quite a bit of room for improvement on the launch, but F-ing fast anyways. I have stock gearing if anyone is curious, and haven't really cut any weight except I have Renthal bars and no heat shields on factory cans. Also have a little lighter homemade fender eliminator, but I'm fat enough to make up for the extra. Hovering around 205 right now.

Is 3.2 good? It sure as hell seems fast, but I would imagine mid 2-s are possible with better gearing and a better rider.

post #30 of 30 Old 06-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Tirone

I order mine online as well, usually from Motosport or Jake Wilson. I use Michelin Power Pures, and the local shops want $200 or more for a 180/55, and I get em online for ~$150. Can't justify the extra cash to support the locals at that rate.

07.5 Tuono
04 599

"Any driver can splatter bugs on his windshield. Few splatter them on the side windows too."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode