Need a good laugh? Read this (from another forum) re: maps & slipons - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 03-29-2009, 06:31 AM
hairball919

Need a good laugh? Read this (from another forum) re: maps & slipons

Some dude's statements posted.

Originally Posted by XXXXX

To hairball919: I'm not sure what exactly DynoJet did for you, but I can tell you with solid confidence that they did not "map your bike remotely". More likely the operator asked you to poinpoint the areas of the map that were having trouble (approximate rpm range and throttle position) and then looked for cells in that area that seemed incorrect according to his experience. For example, numbers should increase or decrease in a smooth pattern over a range of cells - if there was a sudden jump, or the numbers seemed excessively high or low, he would be able to judge that they were probably incorrect and would help you get them closer to what they should be. However it is important to note that this is NOT a "custom map" - it's simply a dude who knows what a good map in general should look like, and who's helping you fix any glaring errors in the one on your bike.

And to XYZguy: For what it's worth, if the exhaust you bought is a slip-on only and not a full system, you do NOT need to re-map your bike! A slip-on exhaust changes almost NOTHING in terms of exhaust flow - meaning it will change almost nothing in terms of how much fuel your bike needs. You may benefit from a custom mapping (custom as in paying someone to tune your bike on a dyno) anyway just due to the stock engine and map in the ECU, but it is not until you install a full exhaust system that you need to remap for the exhaust.

My response:
(Even if I'm totally wrong, that guy certainly CAN'T be right!)

Dude, where you coming up with your off-the-wall theories? For one thing, when I have DynoJet access my computer and I sit and watch my cursor move around on the screen and numbers start to change, then the MAP is SAVED ON MY COMPUTER, and has totally different settings than ANY map in the DynoJet files, THEY DID MAP IT REMOTELY, and IT IS A CUSTOM MAP! FYI, "remotely" means from another location, done electronically over a phone line or computer. So, they DID map it remotely! And a "Custom Map" is ANY map that is not a normal map sold by DynoJet, or listed in any of their map files, and programmed specifically for my bike. Man, I sat there and watched it happen, and while it was running and numbers were changing I could hear the bike start to run differently and even smelled it running a bit richer at idle. Man, you should be embarassed to make such statement! You're totally WRONG in all your assumptions and insinuations. You may wanna google the words "remotely" and "custom", or look them up in your dictionary. Oh, and I better tell the guy in Seattle who I shared this map with that it did NOT make a difference in the way his bike ran, he's a liar! Oh, I am too, because it made a huge difference on mine also!

Secondly, who the hell told you that slip-ons do NOTHING to a bike? Than why the are they even sold? For looks? Oh, I see. Then I'll certainly have to call DynoJet and ask them why they have so many maps designed for SLIP-ONS and only a few for Full Systems (but only 2 for stock (zero map and 001). They make no difference in exhaust flow?!?! Dude, whatever you're smokin' I think you need to share with the rest of us! Hey, you should call DynoJet (AND Two Brothers, for which so many maps are made for) and tell them there is NO NEED TO MAKE MAPS or change the bike's setting just for slip-ons! See how fast they either hang up on you or refer you to your local mental health professional. Hell, with your theory, all the slip-on manufacturers (who, by the way, outnumber the full-system makers by far!) are going to now go out of business because everyone is going to point out your post and prove to them that their multi-billion dollar industry is a waste of time and money because nothing is being gained by their products. Remind them that they should fire ALL their designers and engineers who come up with the slip-ons they sell to people all over the world because they "do almost nothing in terms of exhaust flow".

You couldn't be more wrong on 2 out of 3 of your statements! I'd be so embarassed to post stuff like this on ANY forum. Man, I'm gonna think about those to statements for years to come! They'll be the talk of all my underwater basket weaving parties. Oh, and I hope you don't mind, I wanted to share your claims/statements/theories/fantasies with some folks in a couple other forums. They love humor.

Now don't be a hater. Don't slam the hell out of me for proving you wrong twice in one post. I'm just so shocked that you would even post this stuff. Had you worded things differently, you may have not looked so foolish (yet you would still be wrong). I just wanted to state MY OPINIONS AND THEORIES like you did. I'm not meaning to sound like an ass hole even if I am. So if we ever meet up to ride, don't stab me or knock my bike over or anything. Forums are full of opionions and even more full of people who disagree with other people. But we need not hate our fellow forum-ites. We must all love one another and get along! (Ask Rodney King? All he REALLY did was tell the cops that DynoJet doesn't remotely map bikes and that slip-ons don't change flow, and look what they did to him!)

Okay, your turn, post a bunch of negative crap about me, or your opinion. But before you do, why not copy your post into a new thread for everyone to read! I'm sure we could all use a few more laughs for our Sunday if our newspaper hasn't arrived and we have no comics to read.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-29-2009, 06:42 AM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Hairball, Even if he doesn't know what he was talking about and is completely wrong remember that he took the time to reply to you and try to help you. There was no malice behind his post only helpfulness and your response made you come off sounding kinda like a tool. If he is wrong then disregard his post, it doesn't make any sense and its classless to completely embarrass him for trying to help. Everyone is wrong sometimes show us stupid or less mechanically inclined people some grace when we get involved and try to help.

post #3 of 10 Old 03-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

yup... i read what that guy posted to you and i have spent all morning putting my stock exhaust back on the bike and i also removed the pc3 and the ram air..

mary is going to spend the afternoon hunting for me some b56 bridgestone tires so i can take the stickier ones off and put my bike back in stock form because obviously all the stuff i have done to it is for naught..

tell that guy thanks for showing me the light...

and luke... everyone is wrong sometimes... the other day i thought i had made a mistake but i was wrong...

post #4 of 10 Old 03-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Optio

I guess I didn't think the guys initial comments were all that bad either.

post #5 of 10 Old 03-29-2009, 02:33 PM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Yeah..... Not trying to come down on you HB, but, I also think the other guys post was not at all that bad.....

in fact, as far as content, I tend to side with him.... sorry man.

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster
post #6 of 10 Old 03-30-2009, 08:19 AM
hairball919

I know, I know. I even removed my post (edited it to just say I disagree with him and many others).

I was totally slamming the guy. And his response was in regards to ME trying to make a suggestion to another forum member that he call DynoJet directly and have them help map his bike.

I don't normally get into arguements with forum members, nor do I post negative comments to or about them (note the deletion of their usernames out of respect). But this guy was wrong in MY opinion.

I just reposted that since the PC3 and maps seem to be the biggest area of disagreements on forums, I would no longer even mention the words PC3 or maps or DynoJet and would no longer post replies to threads. It will be safer this way. Nobody will disagree with me, and I won't have to disagree with them. (But I still have NO plans to take my bike to a dyno shop and fork out $400).

So, sorry if I sounded like an a-hole here. I just couldn't believe someone would post such statements, which, after talking to several local bike owner friends, I felt were totally off-the-wall. No mapping changes for slip-ons? Come on, folks, how could this statement be correct?

I sure hope I didn't ruffle any feathers among my friends here at Wrist Twisters by posting this negative crap that I posted. I guess I need to get used to the idea that 23 year old kids are going to know more about BIKES than a 50 year old former AUTO mechanic.

We coo...

post #7 of 10 Old 03-30-2009, 08:27 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg74 View Post
I guess I didn't think the guys initial comments were all that bad either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GTONUT View Post
Yeah..... Not trying to come down on you HB, but, I also think the other guys post was not at all that bad.....

in fact, as far as content, I tend to side with him.... sorry man.
sorry guys... i gotta side with shawn on the original post and his (albeit somewhat sarcastic reply)

all he stated was that he called dynojet and the tech there remotely made him a custom map....

the poster then told him they did not "remotely access" and make a "custom map" which they clearly did...

they tapped into his home computer and changed his map..

thats all he said they did and thats what they actually did..

and as far as the guy telling him slip ons do nothing... then why the hell did we all buy them (some of us multiple slip on purchases)...

post #8 of 10 Old 03-30-2009, 08:32 AM
hairball919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basspiece919 View Post
Hairball, Even if he doesn't know what he was talking about and is completely wrong remember that he took the time to reply to you and try to help you. There was no malice behind his post only helpfulness and your response made you come off sounding kinda like a tool. If he is wrong then disregard his post, it doesn't make any sense and its classless to completely embarrass him for trying to help.
By the way...

I appreciate your opinion. AND agree. But here is my rebuttal...

He was actually offering help to another guy, but didn't agree with what I said to the other guy. And his statement about the exhaust was geared specifically to that other guy.

The only reason I posted the nonsense that I did was due to the level of what I thought IMHO were totally wrong claims. If he would have posted something like "Michelins are a much better tire than Yokohamas are" or "I think Yoshi cans are not as effective as TwoBros" or something to that nature, I wouldn't have commented. Hey, I read stuff all day that I tend to not agree with. It's part of being in a forum. But when someone makes claims such as the ones this guy made, it could possibly have a negative affect. A relatively new rider might get the wrong impression of how he would have to map the PC3 he thought about buying, or maybe would rush out and buy a full exhaust system thinking slips-ons are worthless. And if you add the dyno costs to full sytems prices, Gramma may end up zipping up her pocketbook.

Again, I was just defending the industry and more specifically the PC3usb and slip-ons.

I did, however, post an apology in that thread and said I meant no harm in my negative comments and hope I didn't piss off this guy. Even sent him a PM saying this was just my opinions, nothing personal against him.

We cool still?

post #9 of 10 Old 03-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Optio

All differences aside I still don't think the guys initial comments were sarcastic in any way. He may not have been right, but it stops people from posting at all on forums if they get jumped on if they weren't a 100% correct.

And how many people here with FI bikes have a PC3 or other if they've changed to slip-ons? I'd venture to guess less than 50%. Slip-ons do more for the butt dyno than anything (my opinion) I certainly didn't install mine with hopes of gaining any hp/torque. I did it for the looks/sound difference

The old carb bikes were a little different story and more often than not needed a re-jet.

post #10 of 10 Old 03-30-2009, 10:53 PM
hairball919

I agree, that's mostly why I put on MY slip-ons: for looks. I do think they look awesome, and chicks dig 'em (I keep telling myself that).

I agree also about there being others not so informed or full of knowledge. But he tried. He wasn't exactly correct, but he tried. Hey, the kid is only 23.

I'm cool now and I got over those incorrect statements. This happens when a person begins to grow up and mature. They get over things quicker and move on.

I'm cool. Hope you all are too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode