My thoughts on Renthal UL's - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 90 Old 03-26-2012, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

My thoughts on Renthal UL's

So i ordered some renthal ultra lows due to all the ranting n raving, hootin n hollerin about em.... as well as the fact that they were supposedly less swept back.

In short... if your looking for something thats got a significantly straighter... less pulled back profile compared to the stokers.... the renthal UL is N O T what your looking for.

If your looking for a bar that is shorter, SLIGHTLY less swept back, and possibly wider (unless you cut down) then the renthal UL is for you.

Heres the in depth......

I took the stock bars off the bike and compared to the renthal UL's. And in searching one thing i noticed is that you really cant compare pullback measurements... as that measurement is determined by multiple factors.. (angle of the bend, width of entire bar, and width of control area)... you can have one set of bars that have a huge pull back number... BUT the angle on the wrists is less because said bars are real wide, and the center clamping area is narrow. or visa versa.

While the ultra lows are a decent amount lower. (right at about 1.5in lower) almost all the other angles were nearly the same. The rise of the inner and outer part of the control area... as well as the sweep back angle.

Here are the bars next to eachother. They are both laid flat on the desk ends pointing up and center clamping areas parallel. Note how the angle for the rise between the end of the bar and top bend is literally the same. ... the grip area angle in relation to the clamping area is what im talking about (the UL's rise JUST A SMIDGEN more so than the stockers think about 1-2*...its so little its not easily seen and pointless to the real reason i bought em... less pull back)

Here is a straight on view with the bars positioned as above.... This view gets you an idea of the pull back. Note how the stockers are narrower in all aspects they initially bend up from the clamping area quicker and then start the pull back sooner than the UL's. Either way... notice the small change in pullback angle vs the ultra lows

And an overall view as positioned two pics up.

Now to make things intresting i lined up the bars so that they were even when they started the pull back bend.... clamping areas still parallel. This will let us see the real MEASURABLE difference in pullback.

And heres that difference..... right at about half of the width of the bar.... or 7/16ths of an inch. Not much of a difference at all and as such, its going to be not much of a difference on the wrists. In fact i got out a compass to measure the actual pullback angle.... we are talking about all of a 4* difference in angle.

Needless to say i dont think ill even bother putting them on the bike as i was looking for more of a drastic change.... i have some protaper contour (fat bars) Carmichael bend's that have MUCH less pull back that i might buy some adaptors for and try out.

Wonder if my buddies shop accepts returns haha.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 Old 03-26-2012, 10:51 PM
TEXAN

If you can't return the bar, I'm here north of L.A. (90 miles north) - you could sell it to me!

post #3 of 90 Old 03-26-2012, 11:14 PM
Cornicen

It'd be a shame to decide they wont work without trying em. If youre after a very particular position, tharbars are the only way to go or the apex adjustable clip-ons.

post #4 of 90 Old 03-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Milites Gregarius

Yer forgetting the most important part, the stock bars look like they belong on an old bicycle!!!!!!

post #5 of 90 Old 03-27-2012, 12:15 AM
Pilus Posterior

Stock bars are shit UL's rock. Stop looking and put them on man, it's like talking about sex but never plugging in!

But seriously, while you have done a excellent job documenting the two bars the reality is when on the bike the actual angles you set up the bars for comfort are not the same a laying them flat on the floor.

I'll end but concluding that the stock bars are only good for mounting to your bed head so your lady friend has something to firmly grip onto as you give her the loving of her life after you have returned from your first ride with the Renthals fitted.

post #6 of 90 Old 03-27-2012, 12:20 AM
Tirone

I hated the stock bars, and the UL's are the best I've had on any bike. They just work so well with the 919. I highly recommend them. They are so choice.

post #7 of 90 Old 03-27-2012, 03:06 PM
What?

I initially did the same comparison with a set of Moose Racing Carbon Steels, trying to figure out the amount of pullback, height difference, etc. In the end, I just pulled the stock bars and put on the new ones, made adjustments with them on the bike and am WAY happier with the riding position, hand position and feel of the bars.

And those were $20 bars. Can only image the change with the ULs.

post #8 of 90 Old 03-27-2012, 03:12 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

I did the same thing with one of my mountain bikes - I went through 4-5 bars and as many stems. But I actually rode on them. I'm surprised you didn't try them, especially since you change bars on your dirt bikes. Visual inspection versus riding on a specific part is pretty far off when trying to raise an opinion.

post #9 of 90 Old 03-27-2012, 03:22 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post
I'm surprised you didn't try them, especially since you change bars on your dirt bikes. Visual inspection versus riding on a specific part is pretty far off when trying to raise an opinion.
x2
put them on, adjust front/back and see if you can find a position you like. Go ride. After that report back. You are not going to make a final decision on tires until you ride on them, would you? The same thing with bars IMO. You are 1/2 way there. Give them a shot

post #10 of 90 Old 03-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Every set of UL's I have seen on a 919 are rotated back in the clamps to the point of almost hitting the tank at full lock. In that position they are reasonably comfortable but too far back and waaaaay too wide for my delicate sensibilities. Oh, and forget about getting in an effective tuck!

For many the UL's are right, but not for me. I would, however, recommend trying them before tossing them in the bin.

Of course if you want a set of bars that are just right ... see below.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #11 of 90 Old 03-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Former 919er

You need to try them out. It may not look like a big difference, but they feel like a big difference! I'm not saying that you will like them for sure, but you won't know if you don't try them.

post #12 of 90 Old 03-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Gunner

dude.. you HAVE to try them. you already bought em, its worth putting them on. It may not look like a huge difference over the stockers, BUT, it is! I picked up the stockers and held them in both hands earlier today, and Im just now getting over the nausea from puking in my mouth. no offense to you guys running stock, but for me, its not even an option. after you read this, log off, get your ass out there and do work! let us know how it goes! ;-)

post #13 of 90 Old 03-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

I have the stockers and never minded them. I thought I had acid reflux, but maybe I have been puking in my mouth from the bars.

post #14 of 90 Old 03-27-2012, 07:19 PM
cannon

how bought the bar weights cause ive rode without mine and it turned in like crap

post #15 of 90 Old 03-27-2012, 07:23 PM
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swcannon80
how bought the bar weights cause ive rode without mine and it turned in like crap
I bought the steel Moose bars mainly for the weight (and they were like $20 vs $70). The aluminum seemed too light. And as far as I could see, the inner diameter of the ULs was too small to fit the stock bar weights.

Plus, I felt comfortable drilling the hole for the throttle assembly in the steel bar. I wouldn't have in the aluminum.

post #16 of 90 Old 03-27-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

ugh.... ok OK i MIGHT try them gonna talk to my buddy first n see what their return policy is.

Guess i could always set it up n drill the locating holes for the pods ride on it and if i dont like list the bars here n probably recoup most of the costs.

Have most of you guys left them stock length?

Also bar ends... obviously the stock steel insert wont fit, so im thinking ill probably use some rubber tube or something with a longer bolt n nut so that it expands n holds the bar end in place.

2002-919 what moose bars did you get?

post #17 of 90 Old 03-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
ugh.... ok OK i MIGHT try them gonna talk to my buddy first n see what their return policy is.

Guess i could always set it up n drill the locating holes for the pods ride on it and if i dont like list the bars here n probably recoup most of the costs.

Have most of you guys left them stock length?

Also bar ends... obviously the stock steel insert wont fit, so im thinking ill probably use some rubber tube or something with a longer bolt n nut so that it expands n holds the bar end in place.

mine are cut down a little, but I cant remember how much. if you want, ill take a measurement for ya tomorrow.

post #18 of 90 Old 03-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I have the stockers and never minded them. I thought I had acid reflux, but maybe I have been puking in my mouth from the bars.

lol, no more prevacid for you! youre welcome!

post #19 of 90 Old 03-27-2012, 07:45 PM
cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002-919 View Post
I bought the steel Moose bars mainly for the weight (and they were like $20 vs $70). The aluminum seemed too light. And as far as I could see, the inner diameter of the ULs was too small to fit the stock bar weights.

Plus, I felt comfortable drilling the hole for the throttle assembly in the steel bar. I wouldn't have in the aluminum.
WOW aluminum f that

post #20 of 90 Old 03-27-2012, 07:53 PM
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh
http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.j..._group_id=7252

I ended up with the CR-HI. They are a little taller than the LOs but they were shorter and had less pullback and no danger of slapping the tank.

This is what they look like installed. (from that angle they look like thy block the instrument cluster, but they don't).

image-1033723974.jpg

post #21 of 90 Old 03-27-2012, 08:28 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

I wouldn't cut them w/o trying them out first. I like mine wide.

post #22 of 90 Old 03-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Hastatus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by swcannon80 View Post
WOW aluminum f that
Most everyone here has drilled the renthal's without issue I thought?

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #23 of 90 Old 03-27-2012, 09:26 PM
TEXAN

As a mechanical engineer/aerospace engineer, I can throw in my two cents for what it's worth. Honestly, with the wall thickness on the Renthal bars, I have no issue with drilling the pin holes. One could go too far, of course, and drill huge holes, but really, the stress on these bars while riding, while cyclic in nature, is really low.

post #24 of 90 Old 03-28-2012, 12:19 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I drilled my Rizoma Conicals. No issues to report.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #25 of 90 Old 03-28-2012, 12:41 AM
Pilus Posterior

Drilled mine. Just de-stress the sharp hole edges a fraction with a larger drill.

post #26 of 90 Old 03-28-2012, 12:42 AM
Cornicen

Bravo! Give them a try at least!

And just go ahead and drill 'em its no big deal, everyone has done it without issue. Whoever buys the bars if you really dot like 'em will appreciate the fact that they're already drilled.

I have rental bar-end on mine, they're smaller/lighter than stock but seem to be ok. Tons of inexpensive bar-ends online.

post #27 of 90 Old 03-28-2012, 08:10 AM
Milites Gregarius

pulled the trigger on the moose bar, Renthal bar prices went up to $75 this year...that's some bs!

post #28 of 90 Old 03-28-2012, 11:00 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Based on the photos, I see where you get your opinions, and I agree with you - the only 'major' difference is the height. But on the bike the bars feel night and day different! I cut all my bars down (street and dirt) 1/2 to 3/4 inch on each side, but some like them wide.

You mentioned exchanging them for MX bars. I did the same thing - I don't remember which bends I had but I tried ProTaper and Renthal Fatbars, and didn't like either one as much as the UL. I would at least try the UL for a week or two and if you just can't live with them, you already know that someone here will buy them from you.

With that said, I'll agree with Rob - after trying half a dozen different bars on my 919s, and not finding one that was 100% perfect (ULs were the closest), adjustable bars are what completely sold me.

post #29 of 90 Old 04-01-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

well as an update... got the UL's on today.... got em setup to where the control pods are about 1/4in away from the tank at full lock. Took it for a lil spin round the block... but i honestly couldnt tell you if i like em... 1. i wasnt in any gear so i just felt uncomfortable as is... 2. my clutch grip was all loose n shiz haha.

Ill ride em around for awhile n see if i like.

Two things.

1. what u guys use to keep the clutch grip located in place... i have heard of using hair spray then letting it dry.

2. Bar end weights. Do they need to be rubber mounted on the bars to be beneficial... or will a hard mount work (expanding collar type thing).

post #30 of 90 Old 04-01-2012, 07:23 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

for grips use gorilla glue. bar ends not really needed with alum. bars. Mount them any way you prefer.

post #31 of 90 Old 04-01-2012, 07:24 PM
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh

1. what u guys use to keep the clutch grip located in place... i have heard of using hair spray then letting it dry.

2. Bar end weights. Do they need to be rubber mounted on the bars to be beneficial... or will a hard mount work (expanding collar type thing).
For the clutch grip I just washed it real good in soapy water. Left the soap in there as a lubricant to slide it on and then let it dry for a few hours. Nice and solid.

For the bar weights, if you are going internal I would recommend rubber mounts to keep vibrations down, but if you are just mounting them on the ends, the hard mount should be fine. You're just adding weight, as long as they are attached well, you should be good.

I found that my carbon steel bars plus the bar end mirrors make about the perfect weight. I didn't even add the stock bar weights back in (which I had planned to do). Seems to turn in nice and clean.

post #32 of 90 Old 04-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Cornicen

I did the safety wire thing on my grips. Shudnt all serious race bikes like the 919 have grips safety wired?

post #33 of 90 Old 04-01-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
for grips use gorilla glue. bar ends not really needed with alum. bars. Mount them any way you prefer.
eh i noticed a lil more vibe on my short trip round the block with the UL's. Ill figure someway to attach em.

post #34 of 90 Old 04-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Former 919er

Hairspray has always worked for me. Spray it on the bar and/or in the grip, slide it on, line it up and let it dry.

post #35 of 90 Old 04-01-2012, 08:46 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

I don't use anything for the grips taking on or putting on. Stock grips are pretty soft, so it's pretty easy to work them. I know Ourys need hair spray and such.

post #36 of 90 Old 04-02-2012, 08:57 AM
The Cripple

hair spray works great! the cheaper quality the hairspray is, the better!

post #37 of 90 Old 04-02-2012, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
hair spray works great! the cheaper quality the hairspray is, the better!
also makes for great flamethrower yes?

ya i definitely need to use something sticky on the clutch grip... even all dry its still easily moved.

post #38 of 90 Old 04-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
also makes for great flamethrower yes?
Can you say potato cannon?

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #39 of 90 Old 04-02-2012, 11:47 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Hairspray works great for the grips, so does a splash of gasoline - swirl a little inside the grip and slide it on. Slide the grip around the bar to spread it around and let it sit and evaporate.
Neither method lasts that long on dirt bikes though - especially if it's rough. I went riding in the desert a couple weeks ago. It was a really rough 20 mile whoop'd-out sand course. Before the halfway point my clutch-side grip had rotated halfway around the bar. Last time I put my wife's dirt bike grip on I used a shot of spray paint and have had no movement so far.
If all else fails try grip glue.

post #40 of 90 Old 04-02-2012, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Can you say potato cannon?
no no.... if you do it right... you get starter fluid while your at home depot getting the necessary pvc and fittings.

That stated... did probably 40 or so mi on the renthal UL's around town today back and forth from school.

Im MEH at this point. I dont have the bar end weights on yet and i hope its for that reason that the bars are WAY more vibey than the stockers. I also noticed some pain in the wrists from the extra pressure of being more hunched over but this could of been a sideffect from the extra vibrations. Ill get the bar ends on soon and give it a week or so before i make my decision.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode