My Project is almost completed! (pics inside) - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Gubb

post #1 of 17 Old 04-17-2016, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Potty Mouth

Garage
My Project is almost completed! (pics inside)

So, after owning the Hornet for all of 5 months, it's spent about 3 and a half of those off the road in a fair few pieces strewn across the garage. After many hours spent a-Googling and a-Youtubing i've managed the following:

- Destickered all the warning labels off
- Painted/powdercoated the Headlight enclosures, gauge backing, headlight brackets, Fork bottoms and uppers, brake calipers, side fairing panels, peg hangers, axle bolt cover panels (?), grab handle, exhaust headers, can, mid-pipe and gas cap. Blue paint everywhere else.
- Added G&J Stainless Brake Lines (Thanks to Rob T for shipping them overseas!)
- Added Renthal Ultra Low Bars and Bar End mirrors. New levers.
- Changed the LED bulbs under the gauges to a brighter bulb, had to piss about with a new flasher relay when I wasn't happy the bulbs were blinking on turbo, all back to normal now!
- LED Indicators at front, Integrated Unit in the rear
- Flapper Mod
- Slapped on a Belly Pan, and Buell-esque Fly screen
- Received a donated Seat Cowl from 2-BKing (I asked him for his bank details, and he sent it anyway with a note saying he wanted nothing in return, not even shipping costs - unreal! I know shipping to NZ is extremely expensive which is why it's tough getting parts down here. He again insisted to not taking any payment for it, so instead i'll be sending a care package of NZ goodies that he won't be able to get over there in the hopes that it will make up for it in some say. Over here that kind of gesture earns the name "good ****".

The Single high can conversion was done when I bought the bike.

Only got the Swingarm to go, which I'll do when I pick up some new tyres later in the month, and i'm all done. Yipee!

Anyway, heres the evidence. Please excuse the state of the Garage. Sometimes the Homebrew stuff starts to invade the motorcycle side of the garage depending on whoever is vying for my attention at the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160418_173410.jpg (203.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160418_173428.jpg (237.5 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160418_173444.jpg (237.5 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160418_173501.jpg (243.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160418_173513.jpg (232.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160418_173548.jpg (209.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160418_173605.jpg (226.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151230_162021.jpg (403.5 KB, 85 views)
2-BKing and theboom like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-18-2016, 05:33 AM
2fas4MEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
So, after owning the Hornet for all of 5 months, it's spent about 3 and a half of those off the road in a fair few pieces strewn across the garage. After many hours spent a-Googling and a-Youtubing i've managed the following:

- Painted/powdercoated the Headlight enclosures, gauge backing, headlight brackets, Fork bottoms and uppers, brake calipers, side fairing panels, peg hangers, axle bolt cover panels (?), grab handle, exhaust headers, can, mid-pipe and gas cap. Blue paint everywhere else.
- Changed the LED bulbs under the gauges to a brighter bulb, had to piss about with a new flasher relay when I wasn't happy the bulbs were blinking on turbo, all back to normal now!
- Flapper Mod
- Received a donated Seat Cowl from 2-BKing (I asked him for his bank details, and he sent it anyway with a note saying he wanted nothing in return, not even shipping costs - unreal! I know shipping to NZ is extremely expensive which is why it's tough getting parts down here. He again insisted to not taking any payment for it, so instead i'll be sending a care package of NZ goodies that he won't be able to get over there in the hopes that it will make up for it in some say. Over here that kind of gesture earns the name "good ****".

Only got the Swingarm to go, which I'll do when I pick up some new tyres later in the month, and i'm all done. Yipee!

Anyway, heres the evidence. Please excuse the state of the Garage. Sometimes the Homebrew stuff starts to invade the motorcycle side of the garage depending on whoever is vying for my attention at the time.
QUE GUAPO !!!

post #3 of 17 Old 04-18-2016, 06:19 AM
Discen

Is that the power bronze seat cowl ? I want to do a solo set up as well but don't know which to choose. How is fit and finish ? What's your opinions on it ??

post #4 of 17 Old 04-18-2016, 06:31 AM
2fas4MEnow

seat cowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondatech9 View Post
Is that the power bronze seat cowl ? I want to do a solo set up as well but don't know which to choose. How is fit and finish ? What's your opinions on it ??
power bronze seat cowl is from power bronze UK..it clips to OEM seat...ok but not great bc it is a pain to remove seat...if i had it to do over i would've redone the seat and permanently attached cowl to seat:i took mine off because it rattled and it interfered with the retractable hooks....power bronze UK is A OK

post #5 of 17 Old 04-30-2016, 09:38 AM
2fas4MEnow

thar bars and crg bar ends
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0091 (1).jpg (247.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0093.jpg (294.5 KB, 67 views)

post #6 of 17 Old 04-30-2016, 10:50 AM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-BKing View Post
thar bars and crg bar ends
Is that a matte yellow plasti-dip or paint ?? Looks nice. I was on dipyourcar.com for about an hour last night trying to pick some colors out. I wanna "dip" my red parts so I can keep em all in excellent condition. Was thinking about a matte red pearl..

post #7 of 17 Old 04-30-2016, 01:34 PM
2fas4MEnow

yellerin on

Quote:
Is that a matte yellow plasti-dip or paint ?? Looks nice. I was on dipyourcar.com for about an hour last night trying to pick some colors out. I wanna "dip" my red parts so I can keep em all in excellent condition. Was thinking about a matte red pearl..
............i have a comrade who is in the auto repair business ...i told him i wanted it flat ass yellow and this is what he gave me the tail is gray/black bed liner ...this bike has been candy apple red (stock) flat gray, gloss black, white, and yellow i guess that's what friends are for

post #8 of 17 Old 04-30-2016, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Potty Mouth

Garage
What's the colour of the side fairing panels? It looks like a grip tape. I like it!

post #9 of 17 Old 04-30-2016, 01:45 PM
2fas4MEnow

grip tape ?

the tail and side panels are heavy duty truck bed liner ...stuff is indestruct0 but once on it's ON

post #10 of 17 Old 04-30-2016, 04:56 PM
Discen

So, Gubb- since all that made it almost complete, what else do you have in store ?? The only ones that could tell just how much work you put in, are other 919 owners. Jeez there's a lot to look at !! I love the feeling you get after finishing a big project like that. Way to go !!

On a side note.. Have you ever seen those body pieces they make for the 919 that attach to the sides of the radiator ?? I think they would look good on your bike since you already have the belly pan and paint matched fly screen.

These weren't the ones I had in mind pictured on your bike, but similar..
Attached Images
File Type: png image-2453929525.png (331.4 KB, 53 views)

post #11 of 17 Old 05-02-2016, 07:11 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubb View Post

- Flapper Mod

One of my favorite looking 9'er builds ever... nicely done

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #12 of 17 Old 05-04-2016, 01:23 PM
Tirone

Quote:
the tail and side panels are heavy duty truck bed liner ...stuff is indestruct0 but once on it's ON
Those bars! Never in million years would I have thought to put z bars on my 919 but it looks awesome!

How is the comfort ???

What bars did you use ?

Did you have to modify Them ?

post #13 of 17 Old 05-04-2016, 01:43 PM
2fas4MEnow

Thumbs up yellerin on

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedhonda919 View Post
Those bars! Never in million years would I have thought to put z bars on my 919 but it looks awesome!

How is the comfort ???.... adjustable to any preference

What bars did you use ?....THAR BARS you can pm rob tharalson he will answer Any possible Q you have ...

Did you have to modify Them ?
.....no mods nes ../. mech and i installed in about 6 hrs counting beer time

post #14 of 17 Old 05-04-2016, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Potty Mouth

Garage
Quote:
So, Gubb- since all that made it almost complete, what else do you have in store ?? The only ones that could tell just how much work you put in, are other 919 owners. Jeez there's a lot to look at !! I love the feeling you get after finishing a big project like that. Way to go !!

On a side note.. Have you ever seen those body pieces they make for the 919 that attach to the sides of the radiator ?? I think they would look good on your bike since you already have the belly pan and paint matched fly screen.

These weren't the ones I had in mind pictured on your bike, but similar..
Cheers fella, much appreciated.
I've just got the Swingarm to go, and I think i'll call it a day at that.
I did consider the radiator flares, but was a little worried that combined with screen and belly pan it may be a bit too much plastic for a "naked" bike.

It's funny how one little project of painting the headlight trim balloons out into the entire bike getting stripped down and rebuilt....

post #15 of 17 Old 05-09-2016, 02:06 PM
Tirone

Quote:
.....no mods nes ../. mech and i installed in about 6 hrs counting beer time
Okay where did you get the bars from ? What model are they ?

post #16 of 17 Old 05-09-2016, 03:06 PM
The Cripple

Quote:

They are Thar bars, produced by Rob here on the forums. He has ceased production and is liquidating his leftover stock. Grab a set while you can!

post #17 of 17 Old 05-09-2016, 03:23 PM
2fas4MEnow

Thar Bars

Quote:
....pm robtharalson ... he is on this site ... ask for his phone # ... he is graciously accommodating to all Qs ...he will fill you in on ANYTHING you want/need to know about the bars ... these are NOT Z bars .... these bars are totally adjustable ... there is a thread on this forum loaded with details.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode