Mounting LED pod lights on the 919? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 04-02-2020, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
I'm THAT Guy

Mounting LED pod lights on the 919?

I was going to install a 7" LED light bar below my headlight and wire it up to trigger with the high beams, but there wasn't enough clearance. My windshield also prevented me from mounting it above the headlight, so I just sent it back.

I'm now floating the idea of adding LED pod lights and maybe just wiring them in with the low beams. With that said, IF I did buy them, what would be the best way to mount them?

I have bar-end mirrors, so the holes for the mirror stalks are empty. I fear it may look a little goofy, but it's a very convenient mounting point. I'd love to do some kind of fork mount, but I feel that having lights sticking out from the sides of the bike touring-style would ruin the streetfighter-like appearance of the bike. Maybe there's a way I could mount them on the front of the forks?

I've been looking at both the very compact round style as well as the traditional square pods.

Thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-02-2020, 09:10 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I was going to suggest the radiator but I like having the lights turn with the bars in stead of turning with the body, this allows you to get the light to your target quicker.

IDK if you've ever seen those fork braces that some bikes have, they are basically a bar that goes across the two forks. You'd have to custom make one.

The other is down by the fender, a simple bracket above the reflector could do the job.

What about the side bolts on the headlight itself? Make a simple bracket and mount them just to the side or just below the headlight?

post #3 of 12 Old 04-02-2020, 09:58 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
A better option would be to get the Givi (if you can find them), Renntech, Motech or other crash bars and mount them to that. The radiator is not a suitable point due to the material it is made from - if you mount them to the guards, the flexing will eventually rip the guards out of the end tanks.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919

post #4 of 12 Old 04-02-2020, 04:23 PM
919 Rider

Could the lights be mounted to where you would normally fit frame sliders?

post #5 of 12 Old 04-02-2020, 06:54 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post

You probably could, but if you crash or drop the bike, you might end up causing the same engine damage that frame sliders in the factory designated locations do. Not good.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #6 of 12 Old 04-03-2020, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
I'm THAT Guy

All good ideas, but the thing I'm going for is sleekness in addition to extra light. I like the idea about mounting a pair of the small, round ones to the sides of the headlight and just have them supplement the low beam.

They have fork clamps that would work perfectly, but, again, there's not a lot of room between the fender and the bottom of the headlight for anything with any kind of chunk to it.

post #7 of 12 Old 04-03-2020, 09:14 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
One of the concerns is that if you mount it to that part of the bike, they lights will be pointing straight when you turn. So if you're on an on ramp, your lights are pointing off to the side. If you mount them on the forks, they'll turn with you.

That might seem like a small deal, but if you look at where your light points now (it turns with the forks), it STILL doesn't light up where you're going.

Some cars have a headlight that turns where you're going and if you go past the point of the tire (further left/right than you're turning) then you'd see where you're going to be.

We get used to it, and it's only at night, but just putting them on the forks helps get more light where you need it.

post #8 of 12 Old 04-03-2020, 10:11 AM
919 Rider

post #9 of 12 Old 04-03-2020, 10:12 AM
919 Rider

Previous is a link to some LED lights mounted to front end.

post #10 of 12 Old 04-04-2020, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
I'm THAT Guy

I like that setup with the LED pods around the headlight.

post #11 of 12 Old 04-08-2020, 07:39 AM
Tirone

Here is where I mounted mine. As others have mentioned, this option does not turn with the handlebars but that has not been an issue for me. In hindsight, I would have preferred round housings on the lights as opposed to the square units I have now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Light Pods.jpg (246.0 KB, 17 views)

post #12 of 12 Old 04-09-2020, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
I'm THAT Guy

Thoughts of using the two screws on the bottom of the headlight which hold it in place for mounting points? I'm thinking it'll look something like this...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode