Motorcycle HUD (head's up display)

check this out

Nuviz Ride:HUD System Kickstarter Campaign - Motorcycle USA

i wanntttttttt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 06:50 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

That is one cool gadget! Wonder how much it weighs though.$479 earliest bird special is gone. $549 gets you the "earlier" bird special is FS. $649 is the next tier.... tempting!

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #3 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

It is, but if they fail....you are out $549. I think the $479 one was worth the risk.....but $549.......not this close to christmas at lease. I'll probably buy it when it comes out in in the fall next year

post #4 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 07:09 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

What happens to the money gathered if they don't hit the mark? They just... *poof

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #5 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Omnivore

Considering that the latest Garmin Motorcycle GPS is $699, it is damned tempting! I wonder what the price point will be if it makes it to market?

post #6 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

I think so. Some kick starters will give the cash back, others see you as investors for good or bad...not sure about these guys. They seem legit, multiple reputable bike magazines have reported on them

post #7 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by acall View Post
Considering that the latest Garmin Motorcycle GPS is $699, it is damned tempting! I wonder what the price point will be if it makes it to market?
Target price is $650

post #8 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 08:53 PM
The Cripple

Holy shit, that is sooooo bad ass!!!! Yes, I want! I will for sure be splurging on this as soon as the wife and I have some extra cash.

When it goes live, I'll contact the company and even ask them if they can add a protocol that would allow for text to be sent to the unit for Deaf racers. SO sick!

post #9 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Batman

I hope they make a version that moves the battery pack to rear like sena so its not so dang big off the front...or better yet merge with a audio company to provide intercom, hd camera (already included i know), nav and hud all in one. Would be appealing for me to have all in one.....but i do know people like options 😊

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #10 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 11:52 PM
Princeps Prior

This looks like a better idea than the HUD helmet. With this design, it look like it attaches to your current helmet.

One thing I liked about the other HUD, was that it has the rear view camera.

A better design might be to be able to hook up a rear view camera into a HUD system like this. Maybe this kinda thing will be added on later.

Nice thing about the rear view is that you can see the idiot that's about to slam into you while texting.

post #11 of 23 Old 12-11-2013, 12:12 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
Nice thing about the rear view is that you can see the idiot that's about to slam into you while texting.
That's called a mirror. Ya know, one of those shiny things attached to your handle bars?

post #12 of 23 Old 12-12-2013, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

As long as I can not feel the battery weight, I honestly don't care where it goes. I'm all for the function. Could care less about the looks. I may look like one of them google glass ppl except this thing is USEFUL! Google glass is more of a cool factor

post #13 of 23 Old 12-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Batman

I always thought google glass would be awesome for deaf people if they made a function that would decode spoken word and show the equivalent signs, or have a plugin that would show closed caption for a show/movie so you could watch normally and they get their captions.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #14 of 23 Old 12-13-2013, 07:21 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
That's called a mirror. Ya know, one of those shiny things attached to your handle bars?
True, but having that info right there all the time can help. I have to move my shoulder out of the way and look each time (yeah I know you can extend the mirrors), but having it there all the time would be nice.

A downside would probably be that it might not be very useful. Unless you can judge the distance, it's not going to be of any real value.

post #15 of 23 Old 08-04-2017, 12:35 PM
The Cripple

bumping this thread as it relates to Nuviz specifically.

Bit the bullet and bought one after it was just released. Should get it tonight. I'm excited but nervous.

post #16 of 23 Old 08-04-2017, 05:43 PM
Tesserarius

write the full report on product quality and performance please.

VintageHunter
"always looking for that next find".
1984 Yamaha Seca 400
1984 Honda CB125
1987 Yamaha RZ350
Various Yamaha YSR50, YSR200, YSR80
1986 Honda 500 Interceptor
1998 Yamaha R1 (first original R1)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1997 Kawasaki ZX7
1989 Honda GT650 Hawk
1989 Honda CB-1
2007 Honda 919
2001 Honda CBR F4i

post #17 of 23 Old 08-05-2017, 11:20 AM
The Cripple

Got it today. Packaging was very good and matched the price tag which was a pleasant surprise. Out of the box I'm blown away by the display. People saying the display will be a distraction has got to see this first hand in order to really understand how it works. It is very intuitive thus far and I haven't even mounted it to the helmet yet.

That said, I already have some minor gripes with the bluetooth pairing of multiple devices. I suspect that this can be fixed easily via firmware updates.I can't wait to get this mounted on the helmet and test it tomorrow before my commute on Monday.

I imagine additional firmware updates might allow for a dongle to be added to the bike which would feed data from the bike into the nuviz unit. Maybe that's a possible future idea. Another suggestion is to have the settings allow for the option to turn on automatically recording over the oldest video when the SD card gets full. An option to adjust brightness would also be great. If that's already there, forgive me. Downloading maps directly to the unit annoyed me at first, but I can see the benefit of that approach which allows the cellphone battery to last longer. The option to download individual race tracks would also be an extremely good addition.

Being Deaf, I can already see how this will benefit me immensely. I have some ideas on additional information that may be useful to present on the HUD. Can't wait to see where this goes! I'll post pictures of the opening and provide a more in depth explanation when I have time later.

post #18 of 23 Old 08-05-2017, 02:21 PM
Tesserarius

sounds all positive so far.
pictures would be great. I've been pining for a motorcycle HUD for quite some time. Was a bit let down after that fiasco with the "Skully" imbeciles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Got it today. Packaging was very good and matched the price tag which was a pleasant surprise. Out of the box I'm blown away by the display. People saying the display will be a distraction has got to see this first hand in order to really understand how it works. It is very intuitive thus far and I haven't even mounted it to the helmet yet.

That said, I already have some minor gripes with the bluetooth pairing of multiple devices. I suspect that this can be fixed easily via firmware updates.I can't wait to get this mounted on the helmet and test it tomorrow before my commute on Monday.

I imagine additional firmware updates might allow for a dongle to be added to the bike which would feed data from the bike into the nuviz unit. Maybe that's a possible future idea. Another suggestion is to have the settings allow for the option to turn on automatically recording over the oldest video when the SD card gets full. An option to adjust brightness would also be great. If that's already there, forgive me. Downloading maps directly to the unit annoyed me at first, but I can see the benefit of that approach which allows the cellphone battery to last longer. The option to download individual race tracks would also be an extremely good addition.

Being Deaf, I can already see how this will benefit me immensely. I have some ideas on additional information that may be useful to present on the HUD. Can't wait to see where this goes! I'll post pictures of the opening and provide a more in depth explanation when I have time later.

VintageHunter
1984 Yamaha Seca 400
1984 Honda CB125
1987 Yamaha RZ350
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1997 Kawasaki ZX7
1989 Honda GT650 Hawk
1989 Honda CB-1
2007 Honda 919
2001 Honda CBR F4i

post #19 of 23 Old 08-05-2017, 08:02 PM
The Cripple

So far here are the pros/cons:

Pros: I really like the fact that the battery is removable. That was one of my biggest concerns. If you need the device over the span of several days, you have the option of recharging overnight or buying an extra battery to charge before the ride.

Con: the mounting process was very nerveracking for me. Mainly because I wanted to make dame sure it was in the optimal viewing range and worse - my Shark helmet has a protruding ridge right where the Nuviz needed to mount. So I had to really play with it for about 15-20 minutes to find a suitable place to mount that allowed me a decent viewing angle. I'm not 100% happy with the mount point and I've sent a message to Nuviz. I'll wait to see what they say. Until then, I have it clamped onto the helmet for the next 24 hours. I have one corner slightly exposed still which is the corner that is towards the front, which sucks.

Another con is that I loved how light my new Shark helmet was. Now I feel like I'm back to my Scorpion helmet with the added weight of the Nuviz. However, I'm sure once I start getting used to it, I won't notice it anymore, we shall see. I have 30 days to try it out. That will tell me if it's too heavy or not.

Pro: The controller is very easy and intuitive to use. The menu and device options are also very easy to use with the controller. I was pleasantly surprised. I did/do have some issues with the pairing of multiple blue tooth devices. Mainly because Nuviz keeps wanting to become the primary device for audio output. I think I figured out how to keep my audio output to my other device, which I had to make the primary device for my phone.

Pro: the Nuviz app is very easy to use. At first I didn't like having to download a map through the app to the device. but after playing with it, I have come to appreciate that approach as it saves battery power on the phone by having the map uploaded directly to the device. The app itself is also cool in the sense that it allows you to change more settings within the Nuviz device itself. At first I think the menu on the device was limited, but once I saw the app and the settings available via the app, I was happy to play around with the settings.

Con: It doesn't ship with a micro SD card, but that's to be expected I suppose.

Con: it doesn't come with usb C. Really? For a $700 unit that is suppose to embrace the future, they opt to not use usb C? Not a major con as it doesn't affect usability at all. Just the principle of the matter.

I'll keep you all posted on how it goes tomorrow after I can start using the unit on the helmet. Now I need to figure out where/how I'm going to mount the controller.

post #20 of 23 Old 08-05-2017, 09:50 PM
Princeps Prior

Your pics aren't coming up on my computer, something about not being logged into AOL.

post #21 of 23 Old 08-06-2017, 09:08 AM
The Cripple

Stupid image hosting sites. Let's try this one:

post #22 of 23 Old 08-06-2017, 12:57 PM
Princeps Prior

Looks great! The price actually seems better than that failed helmet project, meaning that it's about 700 and if you account for the cost of a good helmet, this is a better price.

Someone could buy a $300 helmet + 700 for this and still be cheaper than that other project.

I wonder if there's any way to add on to this for things like a rear view camera.

post #23 of 23 Old 08-06-2017, 01:19 PM
Tesserarius

they were looking at selling the "Scully" (epic fail) helmet for around $1500 or so. What a bunch of losers those two brothers. IDIOTS.
I read from a report about that startup from a close assistant who worked directly with the two brothers that they were spending their investor money on expensive cars, trips to the orient, lavish hotel stays.............fukin' losers those guys.

At least this company is somewhat reputable and has been around a bit. I hope it goes well for them. I'd like to see this market expand exponentially over the next 10.

VintageHunter
1984 Yamaha Seca 400
1984 Honda CB125
1987 Yamaha RZ350
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1997 Kawasaki ZX7
1989 Honda GT650 Hawk
1989 Honda CB-1
2007 Honda 919
2001 Honda CBR F4i

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode