Mid priced Lay-Down Crusier Bike Plate Mount - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 07-10-2009, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
"VonZipper"

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Mid priced Lay-Down Crusier Bike Plate Mount

I started my Lay Down plate project with the Kuryakyn curved plate holder #9157 (Curved License Plate Frame for Slimline Low-Profile Tombstone Taillights)

Kryakyn

I like the size and weight of it, it's one beefy beast of a plate holder, and the rounded edges suited the lines of the Roadliner better than the square plate frame I was currently using. Dremel in hand ( I love my Dremel and I'm not ashamed to admit it ) I removed the factory mounting tab and sanded the left over area flush with the mounting plate using my table sander. This part of the plate mount will be at the bottom of the installation. Then I took the factory plate mount and used it as a template to drill the three mounting holes through the Kuryakyn backer plate so that I could use the factory screws to mount the plate holder to the fender. I used those round stick on rubber "Feet" that are a little over 1/4" thick and about an inch in diameter and attached them to the downside of the plate mount for protection and spacing against the fender. I used 6 of them 3 at the top and 3 at the bottom. Then I mounted the piece to the fender using the factory screws and blue locktite. I tightened the screws just tight enough to compress the rubber spacers a bit. I then used the rubber spacers as a stand off between the license plate and the mounting plate due to the fact that the factory screws stuck up above the plane of the mounting plate, again I used six spacers and kept them close to the factory mounting screws to keep the license plate from hitting them. Then I put the license plate into the top piece of the frame , screwed the frame to the base and BAM!!! A solid, sturdy, awesome-looking Lay Down License plate! All for around $70.00. If you are decent with a drill and a Dremel and don't mind a bit of fabricating you can save $50.00 or so over the Baron's and Rivco products and still have a pretty nice looking mount. On a one to ten difficulty scale I'd rate this project a 4...and the result a 9! ( It would have to have a good looking gal modeling the finished project to get a 10). Jim

If you have a Ten Dollar Head, get a $10.00 Helmet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-10-2009, 06:21 AM
Lovin the Vanilla Ice

Very clean.

Two wheelin for the feelin.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-10-2009, 08:12 AM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Really fits the style of the bike - nice add.

post #4 of 5 Old 07-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Unbannable

That's a fancy bike! Change those rear turn signals so they arn't so pointy and you got a winner.

post #5 of 5 Old 07-10-2009, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
"VonZipper"

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I got them as a Birthday gift from Madonna, we share the same Birthday, she wanted to give me something that would remind me of her and all the good times.

If you have a Ten Dollar Head, get a $10.00 Helmet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode