metal locator pin on throttle assembly - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 09-24-2014, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

metal locator pin on throttle assembly

Ok, i've done bars on the dirt bike before, and know about grinding plastic nubs....
but while the assembly on the left has a plastic nub, the throttle assembly on the 919 has a metal pin. it looks like it is in a sleeve. anyone able to tell me is that thing turned in, glued in, or what?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-24-2014, 06:03 PM
Tirone

You can grind them or break them out, I ground mine. Those are your options if you want to be able to re-position the controls. You'll also have to wrap some electrical tape around the bar to give the switch something to bite into.

Or you can drill a locator hole into your bars and preserve the nub, plenty of people here have gone that route to with great success.

post #3 of 13 Old 09-24-2014, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Yep. I know the age old debate. As I study, I'll probably drill. Mocking up control positions now.
More wondering now when putting on brake clamp, how far tilted forward you can be without it being an issue

post #4 of 13 Old 09-24-2014, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

mocking up the bars, i know i need to make sure from lock to lock nothing touches the tank. I'm also keeping my hands on like i'm steering because i know that while at road speed i won't be in this tight...slow, in-town i may have to be damn near at lock with hands on grips.... is there anything else i should watch out for with how forward or backwards i rock the bars when mounting?

also, when mounting throttle/tube assembly...do guys normally mount so the tube is a smidge inboard or outboard the bar end? I just remember you wanna make sure it doesn't bind when the grip is on.

finally, when setting the lever position, how far out of level can the top of the brake reservoir be?

I've done most of this stuff before...but the damn niggling little questions like this drive me nuts.

post #5 of 13 Old 09-24-2014, 08:28 PM
Le So Cal Troll

drill it DO NOT remove the pin.

The throttle control pod of the 919 will NOT clamp hard enough on the bars to keep it from rotating, thats what the pin is for.

post #6 of 13 Old 09-24-2014, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I'm not starting the drill/no drill holy war... but I am wondering... do some people find the 919's throttle assembly much looser than other bikes that they can't get it tight enough to keep it from turning?
i've seen people mention wrapping tape on the bar... but other stuff i've done like this, i just cut a wrap of inner tube, and i can clamp and get grip at the same time...

post #7 of 13 Old 09-24-2014, 09:35 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carphunter View Post
I'm not starting the drill/no drill holy war... but I am wondering... do some people find the 919's throttle assembly much looser than other bikes that they can't get it tight enough to keep it from turning?
i've seen people mention wrapping tape on the bar... but other stuff i've done like this, i just cut a wrap of inner tube, and i can clamp and get grip at the same time...
you can do that as well. but its not as clean nor will it be as positive of a lock compared to the pin.

And yes the way the throttle assembly is designed, it wont grip the bar overly tight, not nearly tight enough to keep it from spinning.

post #8 of 13 Old 09-25-2014, 09:59 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Also, if you wrap the bar, it probably won't clamp and seal the pod all the way, and you'll get faster corrosion inside due to water/weather/dust.

Drill it.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2006 Honda 599 - Wanda
2007 Honda CB900F (click for pics -sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #9 of 13 Old 09-25-2014, 10:09 AM
Ian

I used a 36 grit roloc disc in a die-grinder to remove the metal pin. Then used two layers of adhesive infused heat shrink to increase the OD of the bar under the control pod. Clamped it all down and it hasn't budged since and is weather tight.

post #10 of 13 Old 09-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Also, if you wrap the bar, it probably won't clamp and seal the pod all the way, and you'll get faster corrosion inside due to water/weather/dust.

Drill it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliMech View Post
I used a 36 grit roloc disc in a die-grinder to remove the metal pin. Then used two layers of adhesive infused heat shrink to increase the OD of the bar under the control pod. Clamped it all down and it hasn't budged since and is weather tight.

FIGHT!

post #11 of 13 Old 09-25-2014, 07:57 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
FIGHT!

post #12 of 13 Old 09-25-2014, 08:10 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Steel cage death match?

Dan
post #13 of 13 Old 09-25-2014, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Mounted. Drilled.

I looked at my XR this morning thinking about wtf the big deal was with grinding. Well that's when i realized the XR throttle assembly is a big metal thing... the switch unit is separate. The throttle i don't think had a pin...cause it didn't need it. only the left switch unit had a plastic nub which i had ground off.

On the 919... lord knows i looked at ways to do it...kind of imitating the tharbar piece i'd seen in another thread. After all was said and done...said screw it, marked it and drilled it. Only ended up 1/16" inboard of where I meant to put the pin...

I went for levelish on the assembly with the bars down as far as i thought i'd ever go... about 3/8 to 1/2 away from the tank when at lock. with the switches there, if i have to rotate up, they shouldn't ever end up at some weird 45 degree angle up.

Took a while to reassemble...couldn't line up the damn pin with the hole while bar was in place.... so duh... loosened them and rotated way up so i could see and work more easily.

I did grind the plastic nub on the left. And I'll make a statement... these things ain't sealed... i could see corrosion from where water comes in via the switch lever on the turn signal.

Got the everything done and installed... went to do my grips and found out i ran out of carb cleaner. So, grabbed the can of shotgun choke tube cleaner and had at it. damn handle on the throttle side was a bear to work up the tube.

So... wait til tomorrow for the grips to set up as much as they will... and then test ride time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode