Looking for 3 things in a tank bag - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 2 Old 10-17-2018, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Looking for 3 things in a tank bag

Hey, I read through the threads here on tank bags, great stuff. I figured it might be worth asking if anyone knew of a bag with a few specific features. I use my current tank bag, which sucks, for normal bike stuff as well as for commuting, and so the bag comes off the tank a lot, and has to come inside court or wherever I'm going. So I'm looking for one that has:

A locking system. This part seems pretty easy, once I decide which brand to go with. I re-did the paint on the tank myself, so I'm kinda protective of it. I also had a combo of a windshield, relatively high speed, and some bumpy asphalt bounce a magnetic bag into my lap before.

A clear top pocket. I don't use my phone to GPS, but I do cross the bridges a lot, and I need someplace to put a FastTrak that won't get stolen or subject me to tickets. I suppose I'd also like the ability to GPS with the phone if I need to.

Last, and perhaps hardest, what I would love would be a bag with a decent integrated shoulder strap. I can make this myself if I have to, but it seems obvious that a smaller tank bag should have a shoulder strap, so you don't look like a kid carrying a lunchbox when you're carrying it around off-bike.

Thanks for any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-17-2018, 07:51 PM
Princeps Prior

I can tell you about mine and hopefully you'll avoid the problems I have.

Mine has a detachable base and doubles as a backpack with 3 outside pockets. The main cargo area has the clear holder and is the size of a tri-fold/clipboard.

So the problem is the zipper. It has the classic sized zipper and it didn't last one season. I tried to have it repaired, but that repair didn't last and it can't be replaced because it's glued and sewn together. So I added those belt clip things on straps to hold it closed, basically backpack straps that cover the lid to keep it closed. Looks cheap, but works.

It's not expandable so if you carry anything extra, you have to find a different place.

The problem is that I'm always in and out of the bag, having a standard sized zipper just doesn't cut it, you need something like a jacket zipper.

I can say that having it the size of a clipboard is just about right. I put my iPod, phone, gloves, 1L water, sun glasses and tri-fold (portable 8x11 holder), tools, etc... in there.

I can go to a fast food and put the bag in there and ride off.

It's a two part system, the base can stay on the bike and you unzip to a back pack but I've never done that. With a broken zipper, it doesn't work that way, but it is cool that I could with a fixed zipper.

I could put an "over flap" with velcro on it and then leave the base attached to the bike and have a back pack if I wanted to.

The base can be cable-locked to the bike.

The zipper it back on isn't so bad.

Overall, it's served me about 8 years now and I still use it.

This is what it looks like, hard to see the 2 parts, but the base unzips and it has the shoulder straps to make it a back pack.

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/...ort-t-bag/3805

https://www.ebay.com/i/302883793516?...3D302883793516

If I were to do it over again, I'd get the expanding version like this:
Car001 Cargo Endurance Tankbag - Cargo Luggage - Collection

It looks like the same thing, but expands. I have the expanding saddle bags and you just unzip them, they double in size.

I think the zipper problem could be overcome with a velcro flap attached around the top. I went with "over straps" and quick clips, they don't keep the small stuff in there like velcro would.

The size is just right for a few books and clipboard, iPad, phones, 1L water...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode