LED headlight that fits 919 bucket - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-04-2015, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Will fly for food.
 
filipinoaviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lonoke, Arkansas
Posts: 853
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
LED headlight that fits 919 bucket

After selling my 2007 Honda 919, I've kept in touch with the bike's new owner and he has been modding away (it was a relief that the bike found a good home). Anyways, he found an LED headlight that he really likes and claims that it is much better than stock. Most importantly, it actually fits the 919 bucket!

Here is the eBay listing-

Auto Motorcycle 40W 4800LM CREE LED Headlight Replacement 1x Bulb H4 9003 H7 H11 | eBay

And here are a few pics of it-







After a 60 mile night ride, he says the headlight is awesome! I wonder how the heat sinks will work or if they will cook wires or what. I'll keep you guys posted!

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
filipinoaviator is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 11-04-2015, 10:48 PM
Princeps Prior
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,937
Rep Power: 1
 
Looks great. If the wires are near the heat sinks, you could use some alum duct tape to cover that area of the wires. Just wrap it around a few times so that it adds some air pockets.

KarlJay is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 11-05-2015, 09:55 AM
Discen
 
carotman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Montreal South Shore, Qc, Canada
Posts: 286
Rep Power: 1
 
Le light output might be bright buy I'll bet my left nut the light pattern is horrible

carotman is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 11-05-2015, 10:10 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus
 
rickard919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 3,802
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carotman View Post
Le light output might be bright buy I'll bet my left nut the light pattern is horrible
I doubt anyone will take your bet. I could be wrong tho.

Spoiler:

rickard919 is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 11-06-2015, 04:14 AM
geek rider
 
oryades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Yerevan
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
LED Headlight improved night riding a lot, here is my story:

http://oryrider.blogspot.am/2015/04/led-headlight.html

oryades is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 11-09-2015, 09:58 AM
Discen
 
carotman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Montreal South Shore, Qc, Canada
Posts: 286
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryades View Post
LED Headlight improved night riding a lot, here is my story:

oryrider: LED Headlight
This isn't the same bulb as the one posted above so you can't rely on the pictures you're showing us.

There seems to be a lot of bean scatter in your picture. (glare). This is bad for other drivers.

A better upgrade would be a JW Speaker or Truck lite headlight.


carotman is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 11-09-2015, 08:01 PM
Optio
 
bartsitarski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL (Chicagoland)
Posts: 890
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Curious to see how this works out.

bartsitarski is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 11-09-2015, 10:32 PM
geek rider
 
oryades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Yerevan
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carotman View Post
This isn't the same bulb as the one posted above so you can't rely on the pictures you're showing us.

There seems to be a lot of bean scatter in your picture. (glare). This is bad for other drivers.

A better upgrade would be a JW Speaker or Truck lite headlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It1gNeBVnQI
Hey, I haven't said that it is the same bulb, just another LED bulb

I must admit, that the last pic is not a good one
You can notice, that it has a reflector built-in, which allows pretty fixed light pattern.

P.S. I live in a country far away from USA and a lot of "other drivers" have scattered lights here, so having bike with strong lighting is a matter of safety sometimes

oryades is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 11-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Cornicen
 
gibbonater's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 594
Rep Power: 1
 
What about that GE LED (Nighthawk?) light that has been on here before? I think that required some modification in order to fit the 919 housing though.

Bikes:
2004 V-Rod (sold)
2004 CBR600F4i (sold)
2003 RC51
2010 Triump Scrambler (sold)
2003 CB900F
2004 CBR 600rr

Non Bikes:
2007 JK Sahara
2005 CTS V (sold)
2006 Audi S4
gibbonater is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 11-10-2015, 06:33 PM
Optio
 
bartsitarski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL (Chicagoland)
Posts: 890
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Between the GE Nighthawk, the Trucklite, and the JW, they are all really nice lights with great and proven results. They replace the whole unit, lens, reflector, and all. What has me curious about this bulb is the size, the fact that it uses the stock lens and reflector, and its $50 versus $200.

bartsitarski is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 11-11-2015, 06:57 AM
Discen
 
carotman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Montreal South Shore, Qc, Canada
Posts: 286
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsitarski View Post
What has me curious about this bulb is the size, the fact that it uses the stock lens and reflector, and its $50 versus $200.
This is why it's total crap.

Don't you think manufacturers would put LED bulbs in their cars instead of the crappy halogen if it was that easy?

The stock reflector and lens was designed for a specific bulb with a specific filament. The focal point is crucial for a proper light pattern. Just imagine an adjustable flash light (Mag Lite for example). Turning the housing 1/16th of an inch will change the beam pattern completely.

Now, compare this bulb:


To this one:



There is no way the LED bulb will be on the focal point for the stock housing. This means the light pattern will be all over the place.

Of course the light output (lumen) will be greater but you need to have more light on the road, not in the woods/other driver's face/etc.

Different LEF bulbs will use a different approach. Some use four leds, some use two, some use only one.

There's a lot of great information there:
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Getting a good H4 bulb and upgrade the wiring will do a better job than a LED bulb.

carotman is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 11-11-2015, 07:46 PM
Optio
 
bartsitarski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL (Chicagoland)
Posts: 890
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carotman View Post
This is why it's total crap. Don't you think manufacturers would put LED bulbs in their cars instead of the crappy halogen if it was that easy? The stock reflector and lens was designed for a specific bulb with a specific filament. The focal point is crucial for a proper light pattern. Just imagine an adjustable flash light (Mag Lite for example). Turning the housing 1/16th of an inch will change the beam pattern completely. Now, compare this bulb: To this one: There is no way the LED bulb will be on the focal point for the stock housing. This means the light pattern will be all over the place. Of course the light output (lumen) will be greater but you need to have more light on the road, not in the woods/other driver's face/etc. Different LEF bulbs will use a different approach. Some use four leds, some use two, some use only one. There's a lot of great information there: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply Getting a good H4 bulb and upgrade the wiring will do a better job than a LED bulb.
Noted. Makes sense.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
bartsitarski is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome