LED bulb to NOT BUY! Avoid at any cost! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 AM
hairball919

LED bulb to NOT BUY! Avoid at any cost!

I bought this piece of sh*t and after waiting a month for it to get here from Shanghai, it turns out to be the dimmest, most worthless LED bulb I have purchased. I bought 4 different ones the same day from every site I could find them on. Well, 3 of them turned out to be exactly the same thanks to the infamous "photo for illustration purposes only, your actual bulb may vary". But that turned out to not be a problem because now I have extras of something that works and is bright.

BUT, the PUTCO brand LED, which has 5 rows of 3 LED's around the side and 3 LED's on the end (you know, the end, where it counts most to idiots behind you!).

I bought this PUTCO bulb from Virtual Village on e-bay. When I inquired as to why it was going to take a freakin' month to get my bulb, they replied that "I must understand that air mail from Shanghai takes much longer". Funny, the bulbs I ordered from 2 other e-bay sellers in China the SAME DAY got here in between 1 week to 10 days!

So anyway, two lessons I learned here that I want to share with forumites:
1. NEVER waste your $10 on the PUTCO brand 18-LED 7743 bulbs!
2. Don't order anything from "Virtual Village" on e-bay unless you have nothing but extra time to wait for it!
3. "Virtual Village" will sell you something very unlike they advertise.

Here is the picture that was on their ad:
[IMG][/IMG]

Here are actual bulbs I received a month later:
[IMG][/IMG]

See the difference? The pic that led me to order has 5 LED's on the end, but the ones I got only have 3. Well heck, the ones I kept that I'm using have 9 LED's on the end! What good are 3?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-24-2009, 10:02 AM
hairball919

Oh, I almost forgot...

Virtual Village claimed to be in the UK in their e-bay seller's profile. But they ended up being in some small fishing village in lower Shanghai. I complained to e-bay AND paypal about this. They always claim that sellers must be honest. Yeah, right!

post #3 of 16 Old 03-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Sixty-9er

Doesn't mean they don't live in UK and place orders to their suppliers in Shanghai. They are the middleman that has a overseas source that way they don't sit on the inventory. That sucks it's not what you expected though. My LEDs simular to that only lasted 6 months cause they developed rust on the contacts shorted out. I'd recommend some sort of electrical contact spray that will keep moisture out of the plug.

"Grip it and Rip it!"

post #4 of 16 Old 03-24-2009, 10:26 AM
hairball919

You're right about the e-bay seller/supplier thing. But in this case, it clearly stated "Item ships from: UK". Oh well, Ching Sung Park Chong will never get anymore of my money.

As for the good bulbs I got, which came from: ctlumination and enkmall (both on e-bay) and SuperLumination in Arizona (found their site) I've used di-electric grease in the sockets to hopefully prevent corrosion. Mainly did it because my 919 has a cheesy rubber seal around the lens and I didn't want to take a chance. I use this stuff like ketchup on burgers! I've heard so many mechanics and friends recommend di-electric grease for everything that I keep some in my tool box and in my car.

post #5 of 16 Old 03-24-2009, 10:40 AM

It may be a generalization, but I have yet to purchase anything from China of quality. From led flashlights to barbecue lighters to my $500 barbecue with instructions printed referring to the back, when they meant the front (and with a crease in each of the panels which shouldn't have been there).

I was disappointed to discover that my Carhartt work jacket was also chinese made, I'll see how long this lasts.

What is irritating is that the chinese want the west to pay for the toxic cleanup/global warming because of the amount of their products we're buying. It suits me, lets add a 100% tax to their junk and make the stuff here instead.

post #6 of 16 Old 03-24-2009, 10:47 AM
hairball919

UPDATE about this seller...

Just checked, and they changed a LOT on their e-bay account! Apparently both e-bay AND paypal took my complaints seriously!

NOW they specifically say they ship from Shanghai, AND they show the bulbs they sent me instead of the yellowish ones.

Something worked.

post #7 of 16 Old 03-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairball919 View Post
Just checked, and they changed a LOT on their e-bay account! Apparently both e-bay AND paypal took my complaints seriously!

NOW they specifically say they ship from Shanghai, AND they show the bulbs they sent me instead of the yellowish ones.

Something worked.

now don't turn into a ralph nader on us...

post #8 of 16 Old 03-24-2009, 11:23 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

The concepts of "perfection", "hi quality" or even "a job well done" do not exist in china. I've worked with production managers from a couple of different guitar manufactures and to them, as long as it resembles a guitar, then it's a guitar! They just don't get it. To them, the bottom line is money and nothing else.

Professional
post #9 of 16 Old 03-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Sixty-9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeenracer View Post
They just don't get it. To them, the bottom line is money and nothing else.
Funny, cause the reason businesses in the US are selling these products is money. And the reason we are buying is money. US businesses import them because its cheaper on their bottom line and can make the most money off of it. And the majority of American's buy these imported products because it is a little bit cheaper then the "Made in the USA" version. Everyone wants something for nothing. Need more proof, visit the nearest Wal-mart.

"Grip it and Rip it!"
post #10 of 16 Old 04-25-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgecrusher4444 View Post
Funny, cause the reason businesses in the US are selling these products is money. And the reason we are buying is money. US businesses import them because its cheaper on their bottom line and can make the most money off of it. And the majority of American's buy these imported products because it is a little bit cheaper then the "Made in the USA" version. Everyone wants something for nothing. Need more proof, visit the nearest Wal-mart.
LOL, you said it man! Next time anybody hits wally-world check out how much made in usa and how much made in china you find in there.....

To each his own I just want to have fun and enjoy life.
post #11 of 16 Old 04-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

ya'll can kick on china all you want.... but do love egg drop soup and seafood medley over white rice...mmmmmm

food...

post #12 of 16 Old 04-26-2009, 07:15 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Try to find a LED bulb not made in China.

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L
post #13 of 16 Old 04-26-2009, 07:32 AM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
ya'll can kick on china all you want.... but do love egg drop soup and seafood medley over white rice...mmmmmm

food...
Shrimp Lo Mein and General Taos!!!

post #14 of 16 Old 09-24-2009, 07:20 AM
Survivor/Broken&Busted

Awards Showcase
Community Service Veteran 

.... dad i need to come down and visit while you can still fit through the door to get out the house ... lol ... :P

... Never take life too seriously ... Nobody gets out alive anyway ...
post #15 of 16 Old 09-24-2009, 10:02 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

picture=broken (bandwidth exceeded) use the gallery here next time!

post #16 of 16 Old 09-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Immune

As far as I know China can make a quality product if that is what they are asked to do. It's the buyer who gives them the specs at which to manufacture the product. This must mean we are cheap people who aren't willing to spend a little money on a quality product and our excessive regulations and taxes on business are pushing manufacturers out of the states.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode