Jake Wilson 919 sprocket clearance - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 05-25-2010, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Jake Wilson 919 sprocket clearance

If any one is interested, JakeWilson.com is clearing out 41 tooth sprockets for the 919 @ $10.50ea.

RMA Rear Steel Sprocket 41 Tooth | Jake Wilson

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Ballaholic

thats what, 2 teeth down from stock?

post #3 of 17 Old 05-25-2010, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

Right. Stock is 16/43

Never heard of anyone trying a 41 rear, but for 10 bucks...

It will give you more top end at the cost of less acceleration.

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."

post #4 of 17 Old 05-25-2010, 12:29 PM
CG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
Right. Stock is 16/43

It will give you more top end at the cost of less acceleration.
Will reduce RPM at any given speed/gear combination but will probably REDUCE top speed on a stock 919.

The 919 would need more horses to push that much taller gearing to redline in top gear.

post #5 of 17 Old 05-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Ballaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonsvilleguy View Post
Will reduce RPM at any given speed/gear combination but will probably REDUCE top speed on a stock 919.

The 919 would need more horses to push that much taller gearing to redline in top gear.
yeah good point. iv been considering going 1 up in the rear as i dont do a whole lot of highway riding, and 1 tooth up shouldnt really raise the rpms too much

post #6 of 17 Old 05-25-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

Quote:

Theoretically in gearing it will go faster. In real life, I would like to see the result. Unfortunately I don't have a place to do top end runs, let alone multiple runs to compare various gearing. I've never even been remotely close to redline in 6, so I have no idea if the bike struggles or not. I know my 85 Nighthawk S struggled to reach redline in top gear so it maxed out at 135 with about 1000 more RPM left. Damn wind resistance....

post #7 of 17 Old 05-25-2010, 04:53 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
Right. Stock is 16/43

I've been running a 41 Stealth/Supersprox on the rear for quite some time now. It's almost the same as running a 17 on the front. 17/43 = 2.53 vs. 16/41 = 2.56 I think for what I do, it's perfect.

Professional
post #8 of 17 Old 07-03-2010, 05:56 AM
Tirone

I just put a 17 on the front and it seems perfect. First gear is now a lot more usable. I checked my speedometer with my GPS before and after. Before I was reading about 5 to 6 mph more than the gps at 60 mph and after i'm reading about 1 mph faster at 60 mph. Slower than 60 its right on. I can tell a little difference on acceleration, but not enough to matter. I've never had the bike over about 115. At that speed its hard to hang on. Haven't checked the mpg yet, but expecting to get better. Before I was getting anywhere from 42 to 53 mpg, depending on riding conditions. I mostly use it for riding to work 37 miles each way or around town. The wife won't ride on it, too much like a crotch rocket. We use the HD low rider on the weekends. Basically, i'm much pleased with the change. Change out took about an hour.

post #9 of 17 Old 07-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Going down 1 in the back seems like the way to go so that you don't lose the rubber damper on the stock front sprocket. Do you think the stock length chain (which already seems long) will work with the smaller sprocket in back?

Madmotor
'06 919

post #10 of 17 Old 07-04-2010, 02:35 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

It will. You''ll want to watch your adjustability. I went to a 41 tooth in the rear
and easily dropped 2 links to a 112, still leaving me forward and back movement of the axle.

(my) experience is: better streetability. it seems to launch slower but feels as if it builds faster.

Definite drop in the rpms. keeps me out of the buzz-zone easier. no more 125 though. the thing really has to work up that high.

the taller gear also feels as if my mpg has gotten worse. but I have yet to run a full tank and the numbers.

post #11 of 17 Old 07-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Tirone

Because, I've heard that the chain is already too long, I chose to go to the front sprocket. I haven't felt any issues that the rubber damper would eliminate. I don't do any hard acceleration from a stand still. I didn't want to have to remove any links. As far as the mpg. I think that will be hard to determine, unless you have a route with the exact mileage. With the speedometer being electronic, I assume the odometer works off it. The rpm's vs speed didn't seem to change, and I wouldn't think it would if the speed sensor in inside the motor/transmission. That being said, I would assume the mpg numbers will look a little worse, while in reality the mpg should be better due to the lower rpm at an actual adjusted speed, say 60 mph. Any way it feels better on the highway and I now know the speedometer is almost dead on, so maybe I'll avoid a ticket.

post #12 of 17 Old 07-24-2010, 06:01 AM
McTavish

Quote:

CG has it right.
Drop teeth off the rear and lower top speed will be the result.
Top speed is where the hp matches the overall resistance, almost entirely wind.
Adding teeth moves the engine down on the hp curve so that the hp will match resistance at a lower speed.
For max actual attainable top end, the ideal gearing is either stock or one more tooth on the rear.

post #13 of 17 Old 08-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Tirone

I've hit 155 in sixth gear at redline on a stock 919. It was a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure my power commander wasn't hooked up, now were my Sato's installed. Pretty sure you could get more top speed if these were in and you went down one tooth in the back. Personally, going over 120/130 is reckless...

post #14 of 17 Old 08-13-2010, 12:23 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

Because of the inherently optimistic speedo error your 155mph indicated was more realistically 131mph in the real world...

post #15 of 17 Old 08-13-2010, 05:13 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by det5lonewolf View Post
I've hit 155 in sixth gear at redline on a stock 919. It was a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure my power commander wasn't hooked up, now were my Sato's installed. Pretty sure you could get more top speed if these were in and you went down one tooth in the back. Personally, going over 120/130 is reckless...
155 is many MPH past what is possible for 919 hp without a good full sport fairing.

And the speedo is high on all of them, worse on some.
The tachs also over read.

post #16 of 17 Old 08-13-2010, 06:31 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

just pee in his cheerios boys

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #17 of 17 Old 08-13-2010, 06:44 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
CG has it right.
Drop teeth off the rear and lower top speed will be the result.
Top speed is where the hp matches the overall resistance, almost entirely wind.
Adding teeth moves the engine down on the hp curve so that the hp will match resistance at a lower speed.
For max actual attainable top end, the ideal gearing is either stock or one more tooth on the rear.
This is true. With a 41 my bike is faster on top-end in 5th, than it is in 6th.

Professional

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode