It's negative 30 degrees... what should we do today? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 32 Old 01-03-2010, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Knucklehead Fabricator

It's negative 30 degrees... what should we do today?

Living in the frozen tundra has its advantages:

1) lots of non riding season to work on the bike

2) Lots of non riding season to shovel snow

3) Lots of non riding season to dream about the riding season...

Thats all I can really come up with. Anyways, since it was -30 yesterday I took some time to use advantage number 1 and work on the warrior.

Step one- removed some wierd Air Induction System from my bike. No one knows what it does so it must not be needed... err... something like that. Its something for making your bike backfire when you unaccellerate (dont look that up in webster) Apparantly they also use these on the FZ1s. removed the pump and bracketry and already shaved about ten pounds.

Step B- removed stock airbox which was way more complicated than it needed to be. hoses going nowhere and hoses going everywhere. it was fun tracking everything down After finally removing the box it was time to relocate all the sensors that were in the airbox. locations were contemplated and attempted, then I looked at my box-o-parts and realized there was a handy little bracket for mounting all of these sensors in one conveniant location turns out if you plan ahead and look at your parts you could save youself some frustration.

Part 3- Install velocity stacks. This part was easy. just install and clamp then start it up.

Now I have a sweet rumble coming from my intakes. All I have to do now is wait for it to warm up 70 degrees or so and take it for a ride I hate winter.

winter sucks.

Opinions are like assholes... and you're an opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 01-03-2010, 03:52 PM
ride honda ride the best

I agree i hate winter and snow and keep trying to get the wife to move south she is starting to give in, spent alot of today shoveling from the storm yesterday and last night but thats life in maine.

post #3 of 32 Old 01-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Ahhh....I remember my 7 & 1/2 years in North Dakota. Solved that problem by moving to Iowa (HAHA). Started with cross country skiing and have now moved on to my new fitness love of Snowshoeing. They make going uphill much easier than the ski's. I laugh at the local weather guy when they claim "white-out" conditions here.

post #4 of 32 Old 01-03-2010, 04:29 PM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I dont know how you guys deal with winter in the upper midwest.....

Even being in NJ.... I just hate the next 8-12 weeks..... I couldnt imagine being where you guys are....

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster
post #5 of 32 Old 01-03-2010, 04:41 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I went to Chicago on Jan 02,2000. Swore I'd never go back that far Nth.
It's been cold here for 2 weeks, rainy and 40*

[
post #6 of 32 Old 01-03-2010, 05:55 PM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I agree, WTF WTF!!!!!

Look at our forecast, while nothing like the North Dakota scenerio, this is not acceptable for this part of the country!!!

AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WTFtemp.JPG (30.3 KB, 279 views)

post #7 of 32 Old 01-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
Maybe we could get a group buy for WT members for houses and transport to Mexico or someplace warm...

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #8 of 32 Old 01-03-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Knucklehead Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhonda1987 View Post
Maybe we could get a group buy for WT members for houses and transport to Mexico or someplace warm...
Good call! any takers?

winter sucks.

post #9 of 32 Old 01-03-2010, 09:43 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbkrman View Post
Ahhh....I remember my 7 & 1/2 years in North Dakota. Solved that problem by moving to Iowa (HAHA). Started with cross country skiing and have now moved on to my new fitness love of Snowshoeing. They make going uphill much easier than the ski's. I laugh at the local weather guy when they claim "white-out" conditions here.
Wow, you took the hard way to get to Iowa...

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #10 of 32 Old 01-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Immune

one good thing about living in Southern California is that we truly do have all year ridding climate here, it has been clear sunny and in the mid 70s . so putting up with Earthquakes, wildfires,traffic, and bullshit regulations does have some rewards,

post #11 of 32 Old 01-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustomoz View Post
Good call! any takers?
Well, I'm in. C'mon guys in the frozen tundra, we need to get someplace warm. I think the Caribbean sounds good. Jamaica maybe. I'd be content to scoot around the island on Super Cubs. A Mass WT Exodus to warmer climes... perfect.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #12 of 32 Old 01-04-2010, 05:22 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GTONUT View Post
I dont know how you guys deal with winter in the upper midwest.....

Even being in NJ.... I just hate the next 8-12 weeks..... I couldnt imagine being where you guys are....

+1 and I can't wait for DLS to kick back out to have some light when I get home from work...

post #13 of 32 Old 01-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Imaginifer

It's a good thing we have this global warming to keep us all toasty.

Paul

Live to ride, but ride to ride another day!
post #14 of 32 Old 01-04-2010, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Knucklehead Fabricator

yeah now all we need is for el nino (which is spanish for the nino) to leave us alone. And in case anyone cares since this is the "aftermarket" Forum I installed Yamaha velocity stacks and an AIS blockoff kit also from Yamahog. My intake now makes more noise than my exhaust... Which leads me to my next mod... once I fill up the propane tank again. damn. winter sucks.

winter sucks.

post #15 of 32 Old 01-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

mary said that you should

Quote:
move south

post #16 of 32 Old 02-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Batman

Quote:
Living in the frozen tundra has its advantages:

1) lots of non riding season to work on the bike

2) Lots of non riding season to shovel snow

3) Lots of non riding season to dream about the riding season...

Thats all I can really come up with. Anyways, since it was -30 yesterday I took some time to use advantage number 1 and work on the warrior.

Step one- removed some wierd Air Induction System from my bike. No one knows what it does so it must not be needed... err... something like that. Its something for making your bike backfire when you unaccellerate (dont look that up in webster) Apparantly they also use these on the FZ1s. removed the pump and bracketry and already shaved about ten pounds.

Step B- removed stock airbox which was way more complicated than it needed to be. hoses going nowhere and hoses going everywhere. it was fun tracking everything down After finally removing the box it was time to relocate all the sensors that were in the airbox. locations were contemplated and attempted, then I looked at my box-o-parts and realized there was a handy little bracket for mounting all of these sensors in one conveniant location turns out if you plan ahead and look at your parts you could save youself some frustration.

Part 3- Install velocity stacks. This part was easy. just install and clamp then start it up.

Now I have a sweet rumble coming from my intakes. All I have to do now is wait for it to warm up 70 degrees or so and take it for a ride I hate winter.
Hey...what part of the tundra are you from?? I'm in f-town...ready for 6 more inches of snow today??

post #17 of 32 Old 02-07-2010, 07:26 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Jeeze guys....................wtf? I mean cold is cold and then their is dead. Were you guys born where you live? Don't get me wrong but don't people get away from places like yours and not go to?

Farkle in a fuckitude......

In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.
General George S. Patton
post #18 of 32 Old 02-08-2010, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Knucklehead Fabricator

Im in Wahpeton. Snow wasn't as bad here as they were thinking, But I still have a huge pile at the end of my driveway.

Bigdaa... My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.... Naa, were just a little off and enjoy the changing of the seasons. Plus it seems to keep the riffraff out when the thermometer drops below freezing.

winter sucks.

post #19 of 32 Old 02-08-2010, 08:31 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Im in Wahpeton. Snow wasn't as bad here as they were thinking, But I still have a huge pile at the end of my driveway.

Bigdaa... My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.... Naa, were just a little off and enjoy the changing of the seasons. Plus it seems to keep the riffraff out when the thermometer drops below freezing.
So, not to much of a gang problem.........I mean, homies hang out on the street corner displyin' and playin' and end up as pop-sickos frozen in the nite.
You know, I remember dat movie about chu. Made me cry and hug my thermos.

In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.
General George S. Patton
post #20 of 32 Old 08-29-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Dude, I saw you today and it was 93 degrees and windy.

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.
post #21 of 32 Old 01-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Batman

My project as it was -20 when i woke up this morning. What do you guys think? ebay mirrors vs. rizoma class mirrors?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rc_1.jpg (138.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg rc_2.jpg (143.3 KB, 6 views)

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #22 of 32 Old 01-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantelhonda View Post
one good thing about living in Southern California is that we truly do have all year ridding climate here, it has been clear sunny and in the mid 70s . so putting up with Earthquakes, wildfires,traffic, and bullshit regulations does have some rewards,
hehe agreed.... was out yesterday on the snake pullin wheelies commin out of the main turn both up and downhill haha.

Poor op, wish i could share some of the 85*F weather we have had the past coupla days... HELL i would give you 35*F ... we need cooler temps for snow damnit, i wanna ski more!

post #23 of 32 Old 01-18-2011, 08:44 PM
Doing things the hard way

I like the Rizoma Class.

Weather here in Montreal is not so bad today, but dipping to -26 C/-14 F on the weekend.

Waiting for parts, and bike is spotless right now, so nothing to do except sit on her and make vroom noises (sit on the bike, not...).

post #24 of 32 Old 01-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Yoshi

It was freezing here today.....I think around 78'ish. Burrrr the ride to work was chilly. Gotta love So Cal, but I really do miss the cold sometimes....Ok not really.

post #25 of 32 Old 01-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by velodesign View Post
My project as it was -20 when i woke up this morning. What do you guys think? ebay mirrors vs. rizoma class mirrors?
Looks like you're bike is inside a walk-in cooler. ha, ha....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
hehe agreed.... was out yesterday on the snake pullin wheelies commin out of the main turn both up and downhill haha.

Poor op, wish i could share some of the 85*F weather we have had the past coupla days... HELL i would give you 35*F ... we need cooler temps for snow damnit, i wanna ski more!
Damn you! The only reason I'm on-line right now.....is because I can't ride. When summer roles around, my post count will go down hill.

Speaking of which ---- wife is still sleeping on the couch, driveway snow blowed, and the fireplace is lit.... thanks for the reminder to search for 'The Snake' on You-Tube.

post #26 of 32 Old 01-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Batman

its the warehouse...but its heated! a balmy 62 degrees all winter.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #27 of 32 Old 01-18-2011, 11:16 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
Looks like you're bike is inside a walk-in cooler. ha, ha....

Damn you! The only reason I'm on-line right now.....is because I can't ride. When summer roles around, my post count will go down hill.

Speaking of which ---- wife is still sleeping on the couch, driveway snow blowed, and the fireplace is lit.... thanks for the reminder to search for 'The Snake' on You-Tube.
My buddy eatin shit with me in chase on the snake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHl8u...eature=related

and the chase cam mounted on my bike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYDkvfEaVZ8

... i have gotten to where in this turn ill drag peg with my knee bout 2 in off the ground, and come out of it, both up and downhill, in a wheelie hahaha.

post #28 of 32 Old 01-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Man, that is nutz. I only wish I could corner that well (or have roads close enough to practice on).

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #29 of 32 Old 01-19-2011, 02:16 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I wonder if he'd have countersteered, if he could have saved it?

post #30 of 32 Old 01-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 

Wow, you guys turn in way too soon! I don't get sticking you leg out and compromising ground clearance by pushing the bike down... Seems counter productive!

Oh, and I like the ebay mirrors better by far.

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #31 of 32 Old 01-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaughnessy View Post
Wow, you guys turn in way too soon! I don't get sticking you leg out and compromising ground clearance by pushing the bike down... Seems counter productive!

Oh, and I like the ebay mirrors better by far.
the leg out stems from dirbike riding... the guy in the above video is nutz, hes a good rider but he fucks around too much lol.

My other buddy on his ktm 690 smc, has riden dirbikes for a very long time, started out with leg out... but after seening me ride knee down, he started that... and now hes MUCH faster.

post #32 of 32 Old 01-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Princeps Prior

Good stuff! Thanks for posting.

......I found out the hard way what happens when you ride with the leg out style.....loose the front....and catch the bike with a boot that doesnt have supermoto slider soles......your foot digs in and turns under on itself......2 months, a cast and crutches later.

I now will only ride with the knee out style when on a supermoto.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode