Integrated Tail Light - Yes or No? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 23 Old 10-07-2014, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Integrated Tail Light - Yes or No?

Hi guys,
I just purchased a Givi Top Case that with stop lights and now I need to wire it to my 919.

Since I will be taking the rack mounts and back fairing off I was wondering if I should get the aftermarket tail light and install it at the same time?

Pros and Cons are greatly appreciated, or any alternative cheaper solution if you vote to go for it.

Here is the light I am looking at: 2002-2007 Honda 599 919 Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light Custom LED

Any of you used that unit before?

This website also says to purchase recommended accessories which would bring the cost up to about $150.

I appreciate any input

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

The guys here will tell that this custom LED is THE BEST! Go for it.
Personally, I'm not a fan of integrated.

Arte et Marte
post #3 of 23 Old 10-07-2014, 05:06 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Do it, bar none. You won't regret it.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel

post #4 of 23 Old 10-08-2014, 06:29 AM
Discen

I have one and love it. I feel like the quick strobe grabs attention better. I ride in congested traffic a lot and when i'm on the 919, it seems people generally slow earlier instead of rushing up when i press the brakes. Install is straight forward as well.

post #5 of 23 Old 10-08-2014, 07:01 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betli29 View Post
Hi guys,
I just purchased a Givi Top Case that with stop lights and now I need to wire it to my 919.

Since I will be taking the rack mounts and back fairing off I was wondering if I should get the aftermarket tail light and install it at the same time?

Pros and Cons are greatly appreciated, or any alternative cheaper solution if you vote to go for it.

Here is the light I am looking at: 2002-2007 Honda 599 919 Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light Custom LED

Any of you used that unit before?

This website also says to purchase recommended accessories which would bring the cost up to about $150.

I appreciate any input
The only accessory you should need with it is a new flasher relay to deal with the drop in resistance... what else were they suggesting?
Also, go for it... I've had the cheap ones and the customLED is where it's at...

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #6 of 23 Old 10-08-2014, 08:01 AM
Cornicen

I've been dragging my feet on the customLED, I need to get it.

Bikes:
2004 V-Rod (sold)
2004 CBR600F4i (sold)
2003 RC51
2010 Triump Scrambler (sold)
2003 CB900F
2004 CBR 600rr

Non Bikes:
2007 JK Sahara
2005 CTS V (sold)
2006 Audi S4
post #7 of 23 Old 10-08-2014, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
The only accessory you should need with it is a new flasher relay to deal with the drop in resistance... what else were they suggesting?
Also, go for it... I've had the cheap ones and the customLED is where it's at...
They also recommend OEM turn signal connector to avoid splicing the wire and a control switch to program the strobe settings. These would be around $10 for both so no big deal at this point.

Here are the links:
Honda OEM Turn Signal Connectors, 2-Wire (pair) – Custom LED
Blaster-X Control Switch for Programming Blaster-X Tail Lights – Custom LED

Thanks

post #8 of 23 Old 10-08-2014, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadler02 View Post
I have one and love it. I feel like the quick strobe grabs attention better. I ride in congested traffic a lot and when i'm on the 919, it seems people generally slow earlier instead of rushing up when i press the brakes. Install is straight forward as well.
Yea, it is the installation that scares me a little. A while back i put aftermarket headlights on my car and it was a pain to get them wired correctly. Beside, I will still need to attach the givi case wiring so hopefully this won't complicate things too much.

Thanks

post #9 of 23 Old 10-08-2014, 10:22 AM
RIDE RED

Pay attention to the turn signal plugs on my bike the +\- were flipped from male to female connectors took a but to figure out why it wouldn't work then major face palm moment

post #10 of 23 Old 10-08-2014, 12:06 PM
Dewbie

Not to thread hijack, but I wish they had a cheaper tail/brake light only version. I wouldn't go without blinkers that are spaced out farther anyway so it would be nice to save a little $$ to pass on that functionality (plus make the wiring simpler). Just my $.02

post #11 of 23 Old 10-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Silent but Deadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacis View Post
Not to thread hijack, but I wish they had a cheaper tail/brake light only version. I wouldn't go without blinkers that are spaced out farther anyway so it would be nice to save a little $$ to pass on that functionality (plus make the wiring simpler). Just my $.02
I installed mine as a tail light only. I have noticed a huge difference. I like my signals to have separation for less confusion. It's hard to tell how a driver will respond to something different. Kinda like flies to a light. I would gladly pay the money again for the custom led light. I had a clear alternatives. It was crap and I honestly feel like put me in more danger than stock.

post #12 of 23 Old 10-08-2014, 06:39 PM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I had the integrated lights on both my 919 and my Monster, and I thought they looked pretty awesome. That was until I went for a ride with a friend who rode behind me and said the flashing strobe effect confused the shit out of him when it was combined with the turn signal, he basically just saw a mess of flashing lights and had no idea which way I was going.

I decided to keep the lights but I installed some Oberon turn signals as well to give a bit more separation from the brake light. My buddies said it was a big improvement over just the integrated light.

post #13 of 23 Old 10-09-2014, 04:37 AM
Tirone

I agree with Asraiil. The first integrated tail light I saw was on a Harley. The lights spun in circles, flashed and signalled. I found myself wondering what the hell he intended to do. The CustomLED set up is bright, a feature that is successful no matter what, but I feel the tail light assembly is just too small to incorporate multiple features. Take a look at the YouTube vids.

post #14 of 23 Old 10-10-2014, 05:22 AM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asraiil View Post
I had the integrated lights on both my 919 and my Monster, and I thought they looked pretty awesome. That was until I went for a ride with a friend who rode behind me and said the flashing strobe effect confused the shit out of him when it was combined with the turn signal, he basically just saw a mess of flashing lights and had no idea which way I was going.

I decided to keep the lights but I installed some Oberon turn signals as well to give a bit more separation from the brake light. My buddies said it was a big improvement over just the integrated light.
Just wondering, did you have the amber turns? I bought a clear alternative light off ebay just to use the tint lens and tried to separate turning from braking by the color difference. i thought it seemed clear and no one has mentioned anything to me in the couple years ive had it.

post #15 of 23 Old 10-10-2014, 06:37 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

In my experience integrated tail / brake / turn taillights regardless of the colors of the LED's in and of themselves are too close together to give traffic behind you accurate information as to what is going on and your intentions. Additionally, the do not satisfy FMVSS requirements regarding the minimum distance of the turn signals from the center of the motorcycle (that is unless the taillight is inordinately wide), leaving you open to denial of a claim if you are involved in an accident. I have heard of several cases where exactly that happened, and the courts involved agreed with the insurance companies.

Bottom line: they may "clean up" the back of the bike, but put you at risk.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #16 of 23 Old 10-10-2014, 07:10 AM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadler02 View Post
Just wondering, did you have the amber turns? I bought a clear alternative light off ebay just to use the tint lens and tried to separate turning from braking by the color difference. i thought it seemed clear and no one has mentioned anything to me in the couple years ive had it.
Yeah, my turn signals were the amber/yellow ones. I figured if one old guy had trouble making it out (and he rides bikes constantly), then there's a problem. When I ride to work, I have to make a left to turn into the driveway to get to our building, and the traffic can be pretty heavy in the mornings depending on how backed up 95N gets heading into DC. I've had some close calls with people zipping around me at the last minute while I waited to make my turn.

post #17 of 23 Old 10-10-2014, 08:27 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
In my experience integrated tail / brake / turn taillights regardless of the colors of the LED's in and of themselves are too close together to give traffic behind you accurate information as to what is going on and your intentions. Additionally, the do not satisfy FMVSS requirements regarding the minimum distance of the turn signals from the center of the motorcycle (that is unless the taillight is inordinately wide), leaving you open to denial of a claim if you are involved in an accident. I have heard of several cases where exactly that happened, and the courts involved agreed with the insurance companies.

Bottom line: they may "clean up" the back of the bike, but put you at risk.

Rob
An easy way to tell if something might meet FMVSS requirements is to look for the DOT stamp. Unfortunately most stylized aftermarket accessories I have seen are far from meeting FMVSS requirements.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #18 of 23 Old 10-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I had the Custom LED unit and wired that in series with my Rizoma indicators, so BOTH the taillight and the Indicators blinked at the same time.

Very effective, IMO. Looked great, too.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #19 of 23 Old 10-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
I had the Custom LED unit and wired that in series with my Rizoma indicators, so BOTH the taillight and the Indicators blinked at the same time.

Very effective, IMO. Looked great, too.
Yup, that's what I did with mine. I think it's a much better solution, and no complaints from riding buddies!

post #20 of 23 Old 10-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Illinois doesn't require turn signals on motorcycles, but I did get an integrated taillight from Clear Alternatives. I supplement with hand signals because drivers are inattentive morons in my town.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #21 of 23 Old 10-11-2014, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks a lot guys, this helps a bunch. I just ordered the blaster-x and plan on keeping my rear indicators. Hopefully I wont screw up with wiring too bad, otherwise you will be hearing from me soon.
Thanks again everyone!!!

post #22 of 23 Old 10-13-2014, 03:22 AM
Tirone

How about the Bikemaster integrated lights? I saw this on the net and I'm curious about this product.

post #23 of 23 Old 10-14-2014, 06:12 AM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BockHawk View Post
I supplement with hand signals because drivers are inattentive morons in my town.
I do the same when driving my old MGB. It doesn't the bright, attention grabbing taillights like modern cars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode