How is this bar/mirror/end combo? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 01-08-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Doing things the hard way

How is this bar/mirror/end combo?

I'm looking at swapping out my handlebars and mirrors, and could use a little advice. I know there are plenty of threads about installation, so I'm not asking for that. I would like to know if this a is a good combo? Anything here that wont play nice together? Anything else I really should do while I'm mucking around with the controls? I know I have seen others with these parts, so should be ok, but want to check before shelling out $$$.

Renthal Low - Probably silver. Current grip is too narrow for me (6'2" and wide shoulders)and I keep resting on the ends just to get comfy. I'm not that aggressive a rider yet, and have a few long road trips planned. Also I have heard that lower might help plant me further back in the seat.
Q - Am I just being chicken by not going UL?

+

CRG Lane splitters x2 - Can't see anything but me out of stockers, and I like the cafe look.
Q - Should I get the adapters, or clamp to the bars?
Q - Both convex?
Q - Oberons instead?

+

Renthal bar ends - just cosmetic
Q - Do I need anything for anti - vibe here?
Q - anything else clean looking?

+

Stock grips? I like the look of the Rizomas, but dont actually have any issue with the stockers.

+

Stock levers? I would like to change to CRG or Pazzo eventually, but trying to stay within budget.

Other mods this winter are a center stand, and tank grips (crotching myself once was too much).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Milites Gregarius

I have the stock bars, Driven grips and CRG LS x2. I like the way it looks and I can see all I need to behind me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_0510.jpg (320.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0591.jpg (230.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0596.jpg (291.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0597.jpg (258.8 KB, 24 views)

I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!
post #3 of 8 Old 01-08-2011, 06:32 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak919 View Post
I'm looking at swapping out my handlebars and mirrors, and could use a little advice. I know there are plenty of threads about installation, so I'm not asking for that. I would like to know if this a is a good combo? Anything here that wont play nice together? Anything else I really should do while I'm mucking around with the controls? I know I have seen others with these parts, so should be ok, but want to check before shelling out $$$.

Renthal Low - Probably silver. Current grip is too narrow for me (6'2" and wide shoulders)and I keep resting on the ends just to get comfy. I'm not that aggressive a rider yet, and have a few long road trips planned. Also I have heard that lower might help plant me further back in the seat.

+

CRG Lane splitters x2 - Can't see anything but me out of stockers, and I like the cafe look.
Q - Both convex?
Q - Oberons instead?

+

+

Stock grips? I like the look of the Rizomas, but dont actually have any issue with the stockers.

+

Stock levers? I would like to change to CRG or Pazzo eventually, but trying to stay within budget.

Other mods this winter are a center stand, and tank grips (crotching myself once was too much).
Lows or ULows
The bends and heights are a bit different.
It's not just a height difference.
Look at the dimensions and see what you think is most dominant in decision making and let that be your guide.
Either will be an infinite improvement over the factory bars.

Mirrors.
I changed to CRG Hindsight, run a left and a right.
Optics are perfect and they do not vibrate.
I would not want anything smaller.
I'm using the OD clamp on style, not the end plug option they have.
I don't know anything about the Oberons.

Bar Ends
Use something.
Key is finding something dimensioned for the smaller bore of the aluminum Renthals.
I went with LSL, they are very simply looking and unobtrusive.
They seem to work as my bars do not buzz and my mirrors are crystal clear.

Grips
I have no complaints about the stockers, so re-used them.

Levers
The stock clutch lever is terrible, that being aggravated by the 919 clutch pivot pin being further from the bar.
Until I put on the CRGs I ran excessive cable slack to get the lever where I wanted it. Now I don't have to do that. (plus I changed to a F4i handlebar clutch bracket that uses the same lever but has the lever's pivot pin closer to the bar)
And see as I wanted a match, I was forced to change the brake lever too, besides, I like the easy and broad range adjustability of the CRG.
Levers have tanked in terms of price, as in the price of the clones being what they are. I have no experience with anything but CRG so can not say.
Some slag Pazzo. Others love them. Some slag clones. Some love them. No one slags CRGs other than complaining about the price.

See the current WT Thread pazzo lever knock-offs?
Most timely in terms of your pursuit.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-08-2011, 11:33 PM
notsowisecracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak919 View Post

+

Q - Both convex?
Q - Oberons instead?

+

+

+

I just swapped to the following:

Fly Racing bars - 18-94241 - ALUM H/BAR MINI POLISH (also available in colors)

ASV C5 levers, shorties both sides.

Already had bar end mirrors from Cycle gear, the ones they sell in pairs.
They have a double layer sleeve so they fit both the stock bars, and the thicker walled aluminum bars by removing the outer sleeve.

The bars were $39.95 locally, and the cross bar comes off easily.
The levers were....well, more than I wanted to spend but are really nice.
Mirrors are on sale currently for $49.95

I have wide shoulders also. 5'10" but long on the torso, so maybe closer to your 6'2" seated. The stock bars were killing me right between the shoulder blades on longer rides due (i believe) to the excessive sweep angle. I was fine with the height of the stock bars, but the sweep angle had to go.

The Fly bars have the same height but much less sweep, and are about four inches wider (@740mm overall width).
I know four inches sounds like alot, but they don't look out of place when all is said and done.

Just finished the bar install tonight, so haven't ridden yet.
Sitting on the bike feels much more natural, and I think I'm going to love the levers!

I didn't go with the ultra lows because I didn't want any additional pressure on my hands. If this isn't a problem for you the ultras would be fine.

post #5 of 8 Old 01-09-2011, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by H919rider View Post
I have the stock bars, Driven grips and CRG LS x2. I like the way it looks and I can see all I need to behind me.
Nice fender plate... I had not seen one on a 919 before.

Are you using the CRG adaptors for your mirrors, or do you have bar ends hidden in there?

post #6 of 8 Old 01-09-2011, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Lows or ULows
The bends and heights are a bit different.
It's not just a height difference.
Look at the dimensions and see what you think is most dominant in decision making and let that be your guide.
Either will be an infinite improvement over the factory bars.

Mirrors.
I changed to CRG Hindsight, run a left and a right.
Optics are perfect and they do not vibrate.
I would not want anything smaller.
I'm using the OD clamp on style, not the end plug option they have.
I don't know anything about the Oberons.

Bar Ends
Use something.
Key is finding something dimensioned for the smaller bore of the aluminum Renthals.
I went with LSL, they are very simply looking and unobtrusive.
They seem to work as my bars do not buzz and my mirrors are crystal clear.

Grips
I have no complaints about the stockers, so re-used them.

Levers
The stock clutch lever is terrible, that being aggravated by the 919 clutch pivot pin being further from the bar.
Until I put on the CRGs I ran excessive cable slack to get the lever where I wanted it. Now I don't have to do that. (plus I changed to a F4i handlebar clutch bracket that uses the same lever but has the lever's pivot pin closer to the bar)
And see as I wanted a match, I was forced to change the brake lever too, besides, I like the easy and broad range adjustability of the CRG.
Levers have tanked in terms of price, as in the price of the clones being what they are. I have no experience with anything but CRG so can not say.
Some slag Pazzo. Others love them. Some slag clones. Some love them. No one slags CRGs other than complaining about the price.

See the current WT Thread pazzo lever knock-offs?
Most timely in terms of your pursuit.

Good advice, thanks, and I'll look at the LSL ends... they do look nice and subtle.

I see what you mean about the CRGs, and the Pazzos arent even THAT much cheaper.

post #7 of 8 Old 01-09-2011, 06:26 AM
Princeps Prior

I like the straight bend of the ultra low.....I also have a set of SW-Motech 25mm risers that go in for longer trips.(personally, I dont like the bend of the stocker & med road) CRG bar end mirrors & weights. Pazzo levers.....

post #8 of 8 Old 01-09-2011, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
I like the straight bend of the ultra low.....I also have a set of SW-Motech 25mm risers that go in for longer trips.(personally, I dont like the bend of the stocker & med road) CRG bar end mirrors & weights. Pazzo levers.....
Hmm, ULs with risers for trips... that might work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode