post #2 of 14 Old 07-12-2018, 07:34 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo View Post

Has anyone heard of or used 1 of these.
It sounds interesting.

Honda 919 MAGNUM EVO-Tech Motorcycle Performance Chip
https://www.magnumtuning.com/en/deta...chip/honda/919
I think that bit of kit is laughable to look at, let alone ponder the scale of most of their claims.
Plus it's mechanical, having a knob, and uses ancient serial port connectors for the patching.
Past that, I'd never heard of it before.
You can find a used Power Commander PCIIIusb in the same zone of price, and an older PC3 Serial Port type for even less.
The PC's are well scienced out for the 919 re the many proven maps WT'ers have, which is a big deal for a short production run bike last built over 10 years ago.
ewmin3m likes this.

post #3 of 14 Old 07-12-2018, 08:56 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Oh brother! I've been seeing these "hyper performance tuning chips" for quite a few years, in fact starting about 6 months after Detroit finally stopped complaining about going from carburetors to fuel injection. With their extravagant claims of huge improvements in horsepower, torque, driveability, reduced fuel consumption, lower emissions, and a guarantee of never getting another speeding ticket as long as their unit is in operation, it seems to be a genuine improvements for very little effort proposition. In reality ... it's just this side of nearly nothing for a bundle of cash. Oh, it looks semi impressive with all the wires and the aforementioned serial connectors looking technological, but what it boils down to is a single 1/8th watt resistor hidden beneath some impermeable potting compound. Total cost of all the actually active parts? About $0.003 per unit in any quantity. All the rest is just eye candy for the gullible and costs them around $3.82. At a retail price of $270 (!) that's one hell of a markup! Frankly, I've seen similar units in the $15 to $35 range, and they are every bit as effective (not at all) as the $270 unit.

Don't waste your money on this sort of thing. You can get considerably more performance from any motorcycle by paying attention to the most important component: the rider.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------

post #4 of 14 Old 07-12-2018, 09:45 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
Oh brother! I've been seeing these "hyper performance tuning chips" for quite a few years, in fact starting about 6 months after Detroit finally stopped complaining about going from carburetors to fuel injection. With their extravagant claims of huge improvements in horsepower, torque, driveability, reduced fuel consumption, lower emissions, and a guarantee of never getting another speeding ticket as long as their unit is in operation, it seems to be a genuine improvements for very little effort proposition. In reality ... it's just this side of nearly nothing for a bundle of cash. Oh, it looks semi impressive with all the wires and the aforementioned serial connectors looking technological, but what it boils down to is a single 1/8th watt resistor hidden beneath some impermeable potting compound. Total cost of all the actually active parts? About $0.003 per unit in any quantity. All the rest is just eye candy for the gullible and costs them around $3.82. At a retail price of $270 (!) that's one hell of a markup! Frankly, I've seen similar units in the $15 to $35 range, and they are every bit as effective (not at all) as the $270 unit.

Don't waste your money on this sort of thing. You can get considerably more performance from any motorcycle by paying attention to the most important component: the rider.

Rob
Rob, is this one of those joke boxes that simply adds a rheostat in line with the IAT to spook the ECU into thinking the air is more dense than it really is, so it overfuels abit according to the ECU's map?
In other words, not at all programmable, nor able to do fueling zone adjustments?
Just simply richens the whole map?

post #5 of 14 Old 07-12-2018, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
The knob and box look like they're from Tandy, serial port too, nearly 20 years old.

I've been on the lookout for a used PCIII usb.
What do they do to make them bike specific, is it just the mapping?
Or are there different connectors?
Should you then get it dyno tuned, or download different maps?

post #6 of 14 Old 07-12-2018, 11:05 PM
919 Rider

I love my pc111. Really smooths out my bikes throttle response, especially low throttle. Also reduced that on/off feel. I've changed pipes a few times and each time the fueling has required changing to bring it all back together. The bike really does feel connected at my wrist now.
There are some great maps in the Dropbox. All due to time and expense from wrist twisters members.
I hesitated at forking out 400 odd Aussie dollars but now in hindsight I would've got one straight away.
With your suspension improvements this will complement how your bike responds. Also your looming exhaust mod may require some fuel map tweaking, a power commander's the answer.
Just my two cents.
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/282640024740

post #7 of 14 Old 07-13-2018, 06:36 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
The knob and box look like they're from Tandy, serial port too, nearly 20 years old.

I've been on the lookout for a used PCIII usb.
What do they do to make them bike specific, is it just the mapping?
Or are there different connectors?
Should you then get it dyno tuned, or download different maps?
The basic box is common, but the patching cabling is bike model specific.
The maps are model specific.
There are enough really good 919 maps around that unless you are super picky and insist on a custom tinker tune by an expert (not just someone who has passed the dyno course) close enough and within your budget, then dyno'ing is not necessary.

post #8 of 14 Old 07-13-2018, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Discen

I guess I will be getting a PCIII soon then,
considering that now I've ordered the K&N air filter, and have installed the new Mivv Z cone exhaust.
That ebay one is over AU$100 cheaper than the one available over here.
I have some block off plates too, but will wait and see with them, I don't mind a bit of exhaust popping.
I have become used too the instant and touchy throttle and now like it, when I went for a ride on the Z900RS
it felt like I had to turn the throttle half way round before it worked.

post #9 of 14 Old 07-13-2018, 03:52 PM
919 Rider

Hey Diablo post some pics of your new exhaust if you get a chance.
After removing the pair valves and related hardware I really liked how it cleaned up the head area. All that clutter gone.

post #10 of 14 Old 07-13-2018, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Hey Diablo post some pics of your new exhaust if you get a chance.
After removing the pair valves and related hardware I really liked how it cleaned up the head area. All that clutter gone.
I only just put them on, really easy, they were a perfect fit, and all the necessary stuff came with them.
4 kilos lighter as well.
Also fitted the Ohlins rear shock a couple of days ago, will set sag etc when I get the forks finished, still waiting on the seals and bushing kit. They have preset it an average for my weight, so that will do for now.

Can't wait to get out on the road today, Saturday. 4 degrees overnight but heading for a top of 20,
no wind or clouds about. I love winter here.

Will have to wash the bike before I take any picks.

post #11 of 14 Old 07-14-2018, 01:34 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

PERFORMANCE ADJUSTMENT
1. Turn on the ignition key. The 499-scale LED display lights up. Crank the engine and wait until it reaches operating temperature.
2. Start the adjustment with quarter turns clockwise. After each turn test the throttle response, power and acceleration on the fly.
3. Conduct comparative tests like 0 up to 15 MPH, 10 up to 50 MPH or 2000 up to 5000 RPM, etc, while riding your bike.
4. Settings for your specific engine unfortunately cannot be predicted.
NOTES
 Reset and restart: Dial the knob fully counterclockwise. When Smart-Tune is unpowered or the knob is turned fully counterclockwise, the engine runs in factory mode as if the wires were not cut. In this case, factory signal readings are delivered the ECU.
 On Oxygen sensor models if the exhaust was modified (header or free flow exhaust) and the check engine light is triggered, a Magnum oxygen sensor simulator should be wired up in conjunction with the Smart-Tune in order to remedy the ECU safe / limp mode.
 Claims correlate to factory condition engines. Malfunctions of either related engine component, can result in no or minimum effect. Please get the engine checked by a certified mechanic prior to installation to avoid undesired inefficiency. It is highly recommended that you perform a signal range scan on the O2 sensor (if any), the slightest defect might prevent the tuner from working efficiently.
The case and screws are sealed. Warranty voids if the seal or screws are tampered.

Good luck with that...........................................

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #12 of 14 Old 07-16-2018, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
I love my pc111. Really smooths out my bikes throttle response, especially low throttle. Also reduced that on/off feel. I've changed pipes a few times and each time the fueling has required changing to bring it all back together. The bike really does feel connected at my wrist now.
There are some great maps in the Dropbox. All due to time and expense from wrist twisters members.
I hesitated at forking out 400 odd Aussie dollars but now in hindsight I would've got one straight away.
With your suspension improvements this will complement how your bike responds. Also your looming exhaust mod may require some fuel map tweaking, a power commander's the answer.
Just my two cents.
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/282640024740
Bugger, wish I saw that link a week ago, bloody government has whacked GST on overseas ebay purchases, so it's an extra $40 for tax.
Found one on OZ for $399.95 free courier, his last one. Dynotune wants $510 plus post.

post #13 of 14 Old 07-16-2018, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Discen

I have ordered the PCIII USB, it should be here by the weekend.

Could I have access to some of those maps you recommend please Mcromo44?
Cheers.

post #14 of 14 Old 07-17-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Quote:
I have ordered the PCIII USB, it should be here by the weekend.

Could I have access to some of those maps you recommend please Mcromo44?
Cheers.
Found it, now lots of reading and forum searching to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode