Heated vest review and heated grips question - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 22 Old 09-16-2014, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Heated vest review and heated grips question

Hey guys,

so when i bought my 919 the previous owner gave me a Widder electric heated vest with the bike. At the time i was like "yeah whatever, this is stupid im never going to use it" fast forward a few months later....

i live in CT, Sunday night i had to drive up to Mass for my brothers birthday via the backroads, it was the coldest its been all year. I decided to try out this vest. OH MY GOD, this is amazing! why have i not used this before! I put it on (PO was close to my size) fired it up and the whole way there and back i was toasty warm!

The cold really saps the energy out of you on a long distance ride, i noticed after using this in addition to being far more comfortable while riding i was so much less fatigued afterwards.... this is probably well known to most riders that use these.

Anyways im hooked. Now i need some heated grips... im fighting my tendency to buy the cheapest units available:

Motorcycle 7 8" 22mm Electric Hand Heated Molded Grips ATV Warmers Hot Handlebar | eBay

and go with these Oxfords from revzilla:

Oxford Heaterz Sports Heated Grips - RevZilla

What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-16-2014, 09:13 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Go with heated gloves, not grips. Grips can't heat the outside/top of your hand, where gloves can.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2006 Honda 599 - Wanda
2007 Honda CB900F (click for pics -sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 22 Old 09-16-2014, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Discen

i agree... but i hate the heavily insulated gloves i've seen. Any good ones out there?

post #4 of 22 Old 09-16-2014, 12:45 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

Welcome to the dark side.

I also vote gloves. Grips are limited. Like the vest, not wanting bulky gloves is another notion you're about to dispel. If you have good winter gloves you might consider heated glove liners.
post #5 of 22 Old 09-16-2014, 02:04 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGKukov View Post
i agree... but i hate the heavily insulated gloves i've seen. Any good ones out there?
This is my problem with heated gloves too, they're all pretty thick. My Oxfords grips help alot.

post #6 of 22 Old 09-16-2014, 02:18 PM
dazed and confused

Quote:
I've personally been considering these: FIRSTGEAR - Heated Motorcycle Glove Liners - Heated - Gloves - Biker - Cycle Gear

Since they act as a second layer, you could use them with your existing glove when it's too colds for just the one layer.

EDIT: Here they have more info about em as well as quite a few more reviews. It does look like you would have to purchase a heat controller separately if you'd like to adjust the heat.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...d-glove-liners

post #7 of 22 Old 09-16-2014, 03:19 PM
Tirone

I love my heated grips. Along with my heated seat, jacket liner and pant liners.
The beauty of the seat and grips, is you can switch them on when needed, without having to carry extra stuff when temps change.
Of course one big difference is, I ride a Connie, and the mirrors block the wind on my hands. Kind of a drag in the summer, but awesome in the cold stuff.

post #8 of 22 Old 09-16-2014, 04:59 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapedLabRat View Post
I've personally been considering these: FIRSTGEAR - Heated Motorcycle Glove Liners - Heated - Gloves - Biker - Cycle Gear

Since they act as a second layer, you could use them with your existing glove when it's too colds for just the one layer.

EDIT: Here they have more info about em as well as quite a few more reviews. It does look like you would have to purchase a heat controller separately if you'd like to adjust the heat.
Firstgear Warm and Safe Heated Glove Liners - Motorcycle Superstore
First Gear's electrics are made by Warm and Safe - so you can buy directly from W&S. Their stuff is top quality, I use their controllers however, their gloves are only 15 watts. Gerbing gloves are 27w.

BTW: That vest should last for years but Widder has been out of business for some time.
post #9 of 22 Old 09-18-2014, 12:24 AM
peanuts

I tried a couple different brands of heated gloves but couldn't find the right level of comfort and protection. I ended up getting heated glove liners(warm & safe), and they work great. Just have to plug em in and slip them on. Regular riding gloves (Helimot buffalo pros) go over them just fine. The electric glove liners don't work so great when soakingly wet tho… shocks

post #10 of 22 Old 09-21-2014, 06:25 PM
Princeps Prior

I like using the heated grips with the gloves. They work together to create the best heat for your hands. I can ride down in the 40s no problem with the addition of the heated jacket. Once it gets below 40 there's not much that can keep the cold off your hands

post #11 of 22 Old 09-26-2014, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Discen

UPDATE: i bought the Oxford heated grips from Revzilla for $50. They are awesome!

When its not too cold i skip the gloves, throw on just 2 layers and go out. Then i turn the grips on when my hands start to get cold. There are 4 settings. I jack it up to 100% on the highway but only need 40-75% on >50mph roads. It really is great and i would highly recommend it to anyone who dabbles in riding in the cold but doesnt do routine long distance trips in them (then you probably want the heated gloves)

I skipped splicing into the headlight and thought "ill remember to shut em off..." almost forgot once already. Might explore splicing them in at a later date.

post #12 of 22 Old 09-26-2014, 08:42 AM
Cornicen

Quote:
UPDATE: i bought the Oxford heated grips from Revzilla for $50. They are awesome!

When its not too cold i skip the gloves, throw on just 2 layers and go out. Then i turn the grips on when my hands start to get cold. There are 4 settings. I jack it up to 100% on the highway but only need 40-75% on >50mph roads. It really is great and i would highly recommend it to anyone who dabbles in riding in the cold but doesnt do routine long distance trips in them (then you probably want the heated gloves)

I skipped splicing into the headlight and thought "ill remember to shut em off..." almost forgot once already. Might explore splicing them in at a later date.
After draining my battery a few times I bought a 12v relay and have been very happy. Also, I can't imagine riding without gloves. I shudder to think about what would happen to legs with just jeans on - I can't even imagine what hands would look like after an unprotected off.

post #13 of 22 Old 09-26-2014, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimedog View Post
After draining my battery a few times I bought a 12v relay and have been very happy. Also, I can't imagine riding without gloves. I shudder to think about what would happen to legs with just jeans on - I can't even imagine what hands would look like after an unprotected off.

How hard is to wire in the relay? im retarded with this stuff....

post #14 of 22 Old 09-26-2014, 05:25 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
How hard is to wire in the relay? im retarded with this stuff....
Four wires, power, ground, accessory power, and power to grips. Only one that you have to hunt for is accessory. I used my brake light.

08 DR-Z400SM
WFOATT
post #15 of 22 Old 09-26-2014, 05:50 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Four wires, power, ground, accessory power, and power to grips. Only one that you have to hunt for is accessory. I used my brake light.
I think you meant tail light. Wouldn't want to keep the brakes on to have heat.

That's what I did too. Of course you can wire the heated gear direct to the battery without fear of running the battery down.

post #16 of 22 Old 09-26-2014, 06:08 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymac View Post

That's what I did too. Of course you can wire the heated gear direct to the battery without fear of running the battery down.
Indeed! There's also the license plate light but I stole that to power the pc3.

08 DR-Z400SM
WFOATT
post #17 of 22 Old 09-26-2014, 06:38 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Heated grips if left on will drain the battery. Wearable electrics are unplugged when off the bike so a switch or controller can be left on accidentally without issue.

Ask for a common SPST horn relay at your local auto parts. In the example below pole #86 can be connected to any hot wire that goes off when you turn off the ignition switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg relay.jpg (12.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: png RELAY 1.png (14.2 KB, 31 views)
post #18 of 22 Old 09-26-2014, 06:48 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymac View Post
On most bikes the brake light circuit is hot from the fuse block to the light. The circuit is completed by the switch on the ground side. So yes, the brake light circuit would be a good choice to charge a relay since it isn't used as much. Another reason to use a relay is so you don't overload the bike's wiring.
post #19 of 22 Old 09-26-2014, 06:59 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Here's another diagram. It doesn't matter which way current passes through the relay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hotgrips_instructions.jpg (54.9 KB, 4 views)
post #20 of 22 Old 09-27-2014, 06:41 AM
Princeps Prior

This is a great way to wire up accessories. It can all be found at Radio Shack. http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php

post #21 of 22 Old 09-27-2014, 07:29 AM
Cornicen

post #22 of 22 Old 09-27-2014, 07:45 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Nice. Now if you had a distribution block you could hook up more accessories if wanted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode