Heads Up - Possible Michelin Pilot Road PR3 Tire Problem! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 06-25-2011, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Heads Up - Possible Michelin Pilot Road PR3 Tire Problem!

Spotted on another forum I'm on:
Quote:
Originally Posted by connick View Post
Cross-post from FZ6-Forum: Michelin Pilot Road 3 are here!!!!!! - Page 8 - Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

A guy's rear PR3 literally melts and starts chunking off while riding:

A few days later, after replacing it, the front shreds itself, resulting in this:

Michelin is "looking into it." This is the only incidence of this that I've heard of so far, but I'd encourage any of you guys running PR3s, especially in hot-hot weather, to keep an eye on them until this is resolved.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Pilus Posterior

Ouch.

Just quietly if I'd mounted a new pair and the rear did that I'd be replacing both with another brand ......... pronto.

Until the above I have only read good things about the 3's.

They had issues with the first lot of 2's delamination. And there was a recall a few years back on thousands of Powers.

post #3 of 21 Old 06-25-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
From pics at the original link, looks like someone at Michelin may have failed to do enough hot weather testing.

From the rider after the rear disintegrated but before the crash:
"My air pressure was dead on. My treadwear was great. I hit no debris. There is no punctures in the tire. The rubber literally melted to the point that the lateral slits in the tire became gooey and by touching them could see straight to the belts. The rubber was literally falling off in hunks in some areas."

2002 Honda 919

post #4 of 21 Old 06-25-2011, 05:22 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
Just quietly if I'd mounted a new pair and the rear did that I'd be replacing both with another brand ......... pronto.
For serious.

I just mounted a pair of PR3s last week. To be honest, if my rear even started looking like that first photo, both tires would have been off that day. Damn, hope that dude is alright and hope Michelin takes proper care of him

post #5 of 21 Old 06-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Rather be Riding.

That is some pretty scary stuff. Thanks for spreading the info about these tires.

post #6 of 21 Old 06-25-2011, 05:32 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

That sucks, just sent them an email, I'll post back here. I just installed a set...

post #7 of 21 Old 06-25-2011, 05:47 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

I glad I went cheap, Pilot Powers 2ct, better tire that pilot roads and for the price I can replace them more often

post #8 of 21 Old 06-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Former 919er

The rider seems like a straight-up guy. It will be very interesting to see where this goes and if it starts showing up on others bike.

Something has to be odd here. The front and rear tire would likely be from different batches, wouldn't they? What are the odds of both failing, with normal commuting and to one person when no other cases are being reported? Strange...

post #9 of 21 Old 06-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Le So Cal Troll

interesting... wonder if its a one rare case thing, or if theres an actual issue... never come close to having any issues like this with my road 2's or my now second set of pilot power 2ct's

post #10 of 21 Old 06-25-2011, 06:17 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 9

I googled it and found only one report of failure so far, guess I'll take it easy tomorrow...

post #11 of 21 Old 06-25-2011, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa919 View Post
The rider seems like a straight-up guy. It will be very interesting to see where this goes and if it starts showing up on others bike.

Something has to be odd here. The front and rear tire would likely be from different batches, wouldn't they? What are the odds of both failing, with normal commuting and to one person when no other cases are being reported? Strange...
One thing that stands out is that this rider, unlike many, runs 110 miles per day in an area that's known to get quite warm in the summer. Most motorcyclists do not ride anywhere near that much (witness most of the low-miles 919s around here) and therefore if this is a problem it won't show up until the more pavement pounding among them start racking up serious summer mileage in similar conditions.

Semi-related, since we're talking tires: There recently has been a problem with Avon Storm Ultra rear tires delaminating and disintegrating, also under hot conditions, often enough - but that's finally been traced to the tire being placed on heavy bikes like the ST1300 when it isn't actually rated for their weight. When I was buying tires for the 919 last, they hadn't quite gotten the cause resolved so I got the last of the Storm STs instead. I'll probably get Storm Ultras next time (I'm pleased with these Avons,) now that it turns out to have been a "didn't read the label" problem as opposed to an actual defect.

However... I'm thinking that neither the weight or the instructions will be the problem with these Michelins, so if you have PR3s and especially if you ride in a warm-to-hot part of the world, I suggest you use caution and inspect your tires very, very frequently until this is resolved.

2002 Honda 919
post #12 of 21 Old 07-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
One thing that stands out is that this rider, unlike many, runs 110 miles per day in an area that's known to get quite warm in the summer.
I ride ~50 miles a day on the daily commute, and often do ~250 miles during weekend fun rides with friends.

Temps here in central Texas are regularly in the triple digits starting in May and into October.

I will be watching for an outcome on the problems seen.

post #13 of 21 Old 07-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Tirone

Had a new set of PR3s installed 150kms ago. The aforementioned article scared me. I have to admit compared to the Diablo Rossos that I had on before, they feel much more stable and grippier. The problem is that after reading the article I'm not sure if I want to push them too hard.

post #14 of 21 Old 07-12-2011, 09:56 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I said it in another thread I think the guy is full of it. Only one person has reported a problem, and that's him. Two. With over 10k miles on them his tires look to be as new as mine with only now 1k on them. Then his rear disintegrates on him and he thinks it is a good idea to keep the front tire on? I don't think so. I think this guy bought some tires he doesn't like and doesn't way to be out the $300+ he paid for them. Unless some one can vouch personally for the guy, it is a scam in my book.

Even his "wreck" seems like he google imaged some pictures of motorcycle wrecks and posted them up.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #15 of 21 Old 07-13-2011, 12:10 AM
Dead Wrong

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
I said it in another thread I think the guy is full of it. Only one person has reported a problem, and that's him. Two. With over 10k miles on them his tires look to be as new as mine with only now 1k on them.
Yes, I tought the same... For a tyre with 10k on it looks pretty new... Also I would have taken pictures from every single angle...

post #16 of 21 Old 07-13-2011, 01:22 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

How did the guy slide under the SUV, yet break the back glass? I smell a rat.

post #17 of 21 Old 07-13-2011, 11:16 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

And there's a helmet in the back of the murano.

I saw the p3 on display recently. I thought "man I bet that thing's good in rain . It's got more cuts than a depressed goth girl !" But rain tends to cool things a bit. How are the threes marketed?

post #18 of 21 Old 07-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Steve

It's got more cuts than a depressed goth girl !"

Now that's funny! lol

post #19 of 21 Old 07-13-2011, 02:54 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Sport touring. A replacement for the PR2s it is also dual compaund and they says it has better grip in the rain.

Michelin Pilot Road 3 are here!!!!!! - Page 15 - Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

Her gets ripped pretty good here. The guy is a lier I think it has been proven. I say at the point not to worry about any PR3's unless other wise proven by Michelin with a recall.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #20 of 21 Old 07-13-2011, 03:06 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday View Post
It's got more cuts than a depressed goth girl !"

Now that's funny! lol
Lemonhead's on a roll today!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #21 of 21 Old 07-13-2011, 04:16 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

The dimples near the edge suggest run-flat. I can't imagine michelin screwing up that bad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode