Headlights - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 04-24-2012, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Headlights

What dual headlight options have been explored by other users?

Looking at these "Dominators" on ebay and not wanting to commit to anything that will be a PITA to mount.

And as far as dual lights of this style these seem to be the only ones around.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-24-2012, 09:23 PM
Le So Cal Troll

they should go on rather easy as they are the same width as the stock headlight... you will run into a problem with what to do with all the wiring that was stored in the headlight bucket however.

post #3 of 6 Old 04-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
they should go on rather easy as they are the same width as the stock headlight... you will run into a problem with what to do with all the wiring that was stored in the headlight bucket however.
Exactly...

I installed the Dominators on my 919 when I had it. Fitment was easy. Hiding the wiring was not.

When I die I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did....not screaming in horror like the passengers in the backseat of his car.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-25-2012, 01:21 AM
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
Plus i think I read that the extra load on the wires at the headlight switch can cause problem. Maybe that was just an isolated incident...

post #5 of 6 Old 04-25-2012, 03:53 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Mounting isn't an issue, like ND4 says they're direct bolt-on. Even uses stock bolts. The wiring is the problem, if it's not already pre-wired, you'll need to get an H4 Y splitter. You'll also need to get creative with the extra wiring that's inside the stock bucket. I have mine tucked into a small leather pouch underneath the headlights. Some have used cylinder shaped cable covers that looked decent. MDToneys setup is the only one I've seen without anything underneath the headlights to hold the extra wiring. I'm assuming he's got it back into the engine area some or somehow got it behind and up more towards the headlights.

As for stock cables having problems with 2 bulbs, it is an issue. You also don't need 2 bulbs to get the stock cables to crap out, just to show how crap of a design they are out of the factory. The best solutions is a dual H4 harness from Eastern Beaver Company (in Japan) which draws power directly from the battery as opposed to using the stock cable. I don't have that and I had the start switch resoldered already and clean the hi/low switch every other oil change with WD40.

*edit: check out FlyNCycle, they usually have the best prices on dominators. You can get them in chrome or black and they come with the Y splitter already in place.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #6 of 6 Old 04-25-2012, 10:39 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
MDToneys setup is the only one I've seen without anything underneath the headlights to hold the extra wiring. I'm assuming he's got it back into the engine area some or somehow got it behind and up more towards the headlights.

*edit: check out FlyNCycle, they usually have the best prices on dominators. You can get them in chrome or black and they come with the Y splitter already in place.
As already mentioned, swapping the stock headlight for the Dominators is extremely quick and easy - but you have to get creative with the wire routing to make it all fit. Even then, it's still a tight squeeze. I pulled a few inches of the wiring back towards the battery and pushed it under the backbone, where the emissions hoses used to be. I still had to wrap the excess back and forth under the top triple clamp to make it fit.
Why in the hell did Honda include so much excess wiring for the headlight????

I've bought a couple sets of Dominators from FlyNCycle - no issues. Fast shipping and the connector is plug & play.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode