Handlebar Issue - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Ride with grace.

Handlebar Issue

OK, I'm finally going to break down and face the truth. Due to years of laying stone as a mason (and moving heavy things in general, plus an early break of my right third metacarpal bone from punching a solid core door - those were the dumb Devin years), I've come to the (painful) conclusion that the lean forward posture of my 5'8" stature on my beloved 919 has my right arm numb after extended riding.

Does anyone know of a good handlebar alternative that can bring the bars back about 2"? Or need I go with a riser?

Any thoughts appreciated. You guys, and gals, are the best, really love this site.

Cheers,
Devin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 08:31 PM
I want to go to there

I went with the renthal road high bars. Love them. Little higher & wider.

post #3 of 11 Old 04-12-2013, 12:01 AM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin4242 View Post
OK, I'm finally going to break down and face the truth. Due to years of laying stone as a mason (and moving heavy things in general, plus an early break of my right third metacarpal bone from punching a solid core door - those were the dumb Devin years), I've come to the (painful) conclusion that the lean forward posture of my 5'8" stature on my beloved 919 has my right arm numb after extended riding.

Does anyone know of a good handlebar alternative that can bring the bars back about 2"? Or need I go with a riser?

Any thoughts appreciated. You guys, and gals, are the best, really love this site.

Cheers,
Devin
I think you'll be surprised how getting rid of the weird bend at the wrist caused by the stock bars will help your arms. I had a broken hand years ago caused by same stupidity, and broken arm in military. Bought a Rizoma bar from former 919er now rocking a Tuono on WT, and love it. Not as much rise as your looking for, but still higher and flatter. Put my arms in a more natural bend and let's my biceps take more weight. Tank pads and using your legs more under deceleration helps tremendously too.

image-1843772312.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-3580591879.jpg (47.3 KB, 21 views)

post #4 of 11 Old 04-12-2013, 02:37 PM
Aquilifer

I went with the Renthal ultra lows. The stock bars are complete crap in my opinion... Somoene should save them for a Harley rider, they'll think they are sport bike bars in comparison.

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #5 of 11 Old 04-12-2013, 02:47 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

If you want the handle bars to be more towards you, go with the 1up 1back. I don't think you'll be able to use the stock bars with stock lines/cables if you go that route. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/handl...ise-1-pullback

If you don't need them to go 1" back and are planning on risers, just get a UL fat bar or Rizoma Conical with a generic adapter kit for $40 (which rises 3/4"). You'll minimize vibrations by going to the fat bars as well, might help you out some.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #6 of 11 Old 04-12-2013, 03:12 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Risers with 1" up and 1" back will work, the cables & hoses are snug but it works.

post #7 of 11 Old 04-12-2013, 03:17 PM
Aquilifer

If you end up wanting some of those risers let me know. I still have the set I took off mine when I bought it. I'll sell them for 25 bucks and they have all the bolts (and bolt caps last I checked).

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #8 of 11 Old 04-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Milites Gregarius

I went with the renthal mediums and cot an inch off each end and drilled the dimples. So far they are great. No vibrations and I like the narrow feel, that's why I cut 1 inch off the ends. They are about the same hieght as the stock ones but, with a different bend. It's worth the money!!!!!

post #9 of 11 Old 04-14-2013, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Ride with grace.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Now, of course, I will dissemble them and fret and worry some before making a decision, and hope that the outcome is spot on. Can I just have a riding angel grant me a perfect ergonomical package to match new bars with custom seat, lower RPM sprockets that perfectly match my riding style, and a partridge in a pare tree?

Thanks guys.

post #10 of 11 Old 04-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Chief 10 Beers

Renthal Highs

Nuff said

There are bold motorcyclists and old motorcyclists, but (OK) there are few old bold motorcyclists
post #11 of 11 Old 04-14-2013, 09:40 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

I went way upright (not tall by any means) with Tusk Raptor bars. 6" rise, 4" sweep. They're also 31" wide. I mounted them on 1" straight risers too. Of course I had to replace brake line and cables but it was well worth it.
(dirty bike on left)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode