Grips and Bar Ends for Renthals - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 27 Old 12-12-2014, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
PB

Grips and Bar Ends for Renthals

I'm going to be putting some Renthal Road High bars on my 919 this spring. I'm 6'6" and from what I've read the Renthals will give me a wider grip with less pull back (Easier on the shoulders) while keeping me upright.

Any recommendations on some grips and bar ends? I've got stock mirrors and I think I'll keep those on. I mostly do pleasure riding, commuting, some long trips. No track days yet so aggressive posture is not a concern right now.

Thanks for all the help. This place is great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-12-2014, 08:56 AM
dazed and confused

I only have stock grips, so I can't really comment on those. For bar ends, my motovations work quite nicely to keep the buzz down.
Oh, and welcome to the site!

post #3 of 27 Old 12-12-2014, 04:14 PM
McTavish

I still have the stock grips, still like them, not changing them.
I have Renthal ULs.
I used the LSL bar ends, nice, simple, clean looking, fit perfectly.

post #4 of 27 Old 12-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I don't have Renthals yet but plan to add ULs over the winter. I'm planning to use the standard Renthal bar ends. They seem to have the same sort of extension beyond the end of the bar that the OEM bar end weights have. That extension of maybe an inch is comfortable for me.

post #5 of 27 Old 12-13-2014, 01:29 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I have Rental UL's on my bike, and put some nice ProGrip grips on it...and bar-end mirrors. I've been very pleased with this setup for a number of years. Go with what looks & feels good to you!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #6 of 27 Old 12-13-2014, 02:17 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Someone on this forum measured the OEM bars and made a sheet for comparison with the optional Renthal bar designs. I've thought this was pretty good so i wanted to re-post it...

Hopefully that attachment shows up in this message. LOL
Attached Images
File Type: gif renthal 919.gif (36.8 KB, 56 views)

post #7 of 27 Old 12-13-2014, 02:31 PM
Back in the day

I have found the BMW grips to be very good. I am using Renthal bar ends.

post #8 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
PB

Thanks everyone for the advice and Mark919 for the chart. The chart confirms what I had read in much less uncertain terms. The biggest thing I'm looking for in new bars is a broader set to match my shoulders with less wrist pinch angled inward towards my body. It looks like the Road Highs will do this best.

Regarding the bar ends, I like how the stock bar ends match the diameter of the grips so that you can easily rest a portion of your hand off the throttle. The Renthal ends seem to be only the diameter of the bars. Any suggestions on 7/8 bar ends with greater diameter to match the grips or is there an advantage to having smaller diameter bar ends relative to the grips?

post #9 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 09:03 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB_ESQ View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice and Mark919 for the chart. The chart confirms what I had read in much less uncertain terms. The biggest thing I'm looking for in new bars is a broader set to match my shoulders with less wrist pinch angled inward towards my body. It looks like the Road Highs will do this best.

Regarding the bar ends, I like how the stock bar ends match the diameter of the grips so that you can easily rest a portion of your hand off the throttle. The Renthal ends seem to be only the diameter of the bars. Any suggestions on 7/8 bar ends with greater diameter to match the grips or is there an advantage to having smaller diameter bar ends relative to the grips?
Just about any of the renthal bars will give you exactly what you're looking for. I'm 6'3" with all my height in my torso and the stock bars killed me with the bend in... Road Mediums are almost the same height and pullback as stock, but the bend is so much nicer... I would assume the Road High's are even better if you want a little more sit up position.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #10 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 09:11 AM
dazed and confused

Quote:
[...] Any suggestions on 7/8 bar ends with greater diameter to match the grips [...]
Once again, motovation. I think they're actually a bit larger than stock. Honda Bar End Weights / Sliders - Most Hondas

post #11 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 09:49 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapedLabRat View Post

Once again, motovation. I think they're actually a bit larger than stock. Honda Bar End Weights / Sliders - Most Hondas
Those wont work unless the stock dampener is put in the renthals. Which would need further modification to the renthals. I.D. is 14mm or 13mm? Smaller than stock anyways.

post #12 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
PB

Right, I thought that was the issue. When you switch to Renthals, the stock bar ends won't fit. I seem to remember seeing something on here about someone modding the stocks to fit with a fuel hose? If anyone has suggestions for how to make the stocks fit with Renthals, or if this is even a good idea, I'd appreciate the help.

post #13 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 10:26 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Right, I thought that was the issue. When you switch to Renthals, the stock bar ends won't fit. I seem to remember seeing something on here about someone modding the stocks to fit with a fuel hose? If anyone has suggestions for how to make the stocks fit with Renthals, or if this is even a good idea, I'd appreciate the help.
The stock dampeners are bigger than the the renthal Inner diameter. You could drill the renthals to accept the bar ends!

post #14 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
PB

I found the older post. Credit to zaq123:

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...tml#post381919

This seems like something to try before spending more on bar ends.

I thought one of the benefits of the Renthals was reduction of vibration. Will new bar ends make an appreciable difference or is that just making an unnecessary modification?

post #15 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 07:51 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
I thought one of the benefits of the Renthals was reduction of vibration. Will new bar ends make an appreciable difference or is that just making an unnecessary modification?
So there are quite a number of handle bar manufacturers out there that make a variety designs that will fit on our 919's... They are aluminum and steel and have different shapes and wall thicknesses. They all will have different vibration characteristics. No doubt the Renthal High bar will be different than the Renthal UL.
The purpose of a weighted bar end (like the rubber suspended OEM bar end) is to change the natural frequency of the bar assembly so it isn't amplified by the bike's vibrations. If you were to remove the OEM bar ends from your bike, as it is now, i think you'd find that the bars would vibrate quite a bit.
If the bar end you select for the new Renthal bar is just a bar "end" then it's probably made out of aluminum and won't ad significant weight and won't help if there is a vibration issue. But the Renthal High bar may be ok without adding a weight. I don't think you'll know until you try it. (Or unless someone else on this forum can give first hand results of their own with Renthal High bars...)

Just my 2 cents,
Mark

post #16 of 27 Old 12-17-2014, 04:07 PM
Tesserarius

Here is my setup with Renthal High with bar raiser

ForumRunner_20141217_185927.jpg

I'm using the old extra weights that I had on my old stock bars

ForumRunner_20141217_190149.png

ForumRunner_20141217_190209.png

ForumRunner_20141217_190220.png

ForumRunner_20141217_190233.png

but I had to enlarge the the Renthal's interior diameter to make it fit.

ForumRunner_20141217_190409.png

ForumRunner_20141217_190420.png

ForumRunner_20141217_190434.png

My antivibration set up:

ForumRunner_20141217_190508.png

BTW, I did not cut the bars so my total length of the bars is:

ForumRunner_20141217_190611.png

I'm happy with the setup...

post #17 of 27 Old 01-26-2015, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
PB

Bumping this to get some group thoughts and recommendations.

So I've got the Renthal Road Highs and some Pro-Grips that are closed ended but will soon be open ended. I'm waiting for some warmer weather before I mount them. I know the stock vibranators won't work so I found these:

Anti-Vibration InsertsFasst Company

Do I even need these? Do they make that big of a difference? These are compatible with the Renthals and I've been told work quite well (Plus aren't too expensive). I know I could easily modify the stock bar ends to work with these vibranators but then I started thinking about bar end mirrors and having the option of putting them on down the road. If I want to have the vibranators in the new bars, I could:

1) Mount the vibranators with bar end of my choice in the Renthals but leave a portion of the end of the Renthals sticking out so that I could put a clip on mirror on the bar.

2) Mount the vibranators with bar end of my choice in the Renthals, have the grips out towards the end of the bars, and swap in a bar end mirror (If I choose to) that mounts internally. Would I still be able to use the vibranators with this arrangement?

So if I bought something like this:

BLACK-3-ROUND-2-ROTATION-FOLDABLE-7-8-HANDLE-CLAMP-ON-BAR-END-MIRRORS-PLUG

I know I could use it as a clip on (Option 1) or mounted on the end of the bar without the vibranators. However, could I kludge that to work with the vibranators (Option 2) on the internal mount? The goal here is to maintain flexibility with what I want to do and I don't want to mount the grips inward to accommodate a clip on down the road if I never end up getting them. So I think Option 2 would be my first choice, I just want to know if it's even a realistic choice.

Anyone have bar end mirrors with vibranators? Thanks a lot for the help.

Dan

post #18 of 27 Old 01-26-2015, 05:21 PM
Aquilifer

Quote:
I'm going to be putting some Renthal Road High bars on my 919 this spring. I'm 6'6" and from what I've read the Renthals will give me a wider grip with less pull back (Easier on the shoulders) while keeping me upright.

Any recommendations on some grips and bar ends? I've got stock mirrors and I think I'll keep those on. I mostly do pleasure riding, commuting, some long trips. No track days yet so aggressive posture is not a concern right now.

Thanks for all the help. This place is great.
Renthal has a nice medium grip that is nice and squishy, it felt great on my hands. Also, Renthal bars are pretty narrow on the inside because they are really thick, so you are probably going to want to end up getting some Renthal bar ends to match. After having no luck on ebay finding the diameter I needed I just finally splurged for the Renthal anodized black ones on the Hornet, and Blue ones on my project Hawk.

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #19 of 27 Old 01-26-2015, 05:23 PM
Aquilifer

Also, since the bar is wider and you have more room to clamp, instead of doing bar end mirrors, take those bar end mirrors and mount them inboard on the bar and under, somewhat of a Supermoto style. You'll have more of a chance seeing stuff from behind and people would constantly be hitting or knocking your mirrors out of whack when they walk to close to your bike.

Rob C

2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #20 of 27 Old 01-26-2015, 05:50 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Dan, It looks like those Fasst Co. vibration inserts would mount tightly to the bars. (Assuming they're set to work w/ Al bars) With that, mounting bar ends or the mirrors to that base should work ok.
I wouldn't do your option 1) with the bar itself protruding to mount the mirrors.
In the end there is very little risk to any of your arrangements. And that's where the flexibility of this set up helps out - you can always change it over.
BTW have you decided how to drill alignment holes in the bar to position the levers? That's one area that might take some care to do well. I'm sure there are some good references somewhere on this forum for that too.

I also like Rob C's suggestion on the inboard mounting for the mirrors. I used one CRG end mirror for a while and found that I had to constantly adjust it - more trouble than it was worth.

post #21 of 27 Old 01-26-2015, 06:23 PM
The Cripple

Quote:

Anyone have bar end mirrors with vibranators? Thanks a lot for the help.

Dan
Save yourself the work and check this thread: https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...tml#post967849

Your welcome. I'll accept a 10% finders fee

post #22 of 27 Old 01-27-2015, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
PB

Quote:
Also, since the bar is wider and you have more room to clamp, instead of doing bar end mirrors, take those bar end mirrors and mount them inboard on the bar and under, somewhat of a Supermoto style. You'll have more of a chance seeing stuff from behind and people would constantly be hitting or knocking your mirrors out of whack when they walk to close to your bike.
rpcraft, is this what you're talking about?

Has anyone mounted mirrors like this? Are they very functional? I'd imagine I'd be looking at my legs and hips all the time, plus it's a long way down to look, ie tougher to make a quick glance.

I think I'll just stick with either bar ends or the Aprilia mirrors.

Quote:
BTW have you decided how to drill alignment holes in the bar to position the levers? That's one area that might take some care to do well. I'm sure there are some good references somewhere on this forum for that too.
Mark919, I was definitely going to be drilling for controls. I have seen a lot of references on this site, but I think this one is the best:

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ars-31736.html

Credit to HrcRacing27. It looks pretty straightforward and easy enough to do as long as once I get things placed I measure 2-5 times and drill once. As the great Ron Swanson once said: "Never half ass two things, whole ass one thing."

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

post #23 of 27 Old 01-27-2015, 03:43 PM
Aquilifer

Quote:
rpcraft, is this what you're talking about?

Has anyone mounted mirrors like this? Are they very functional? I'd imagine I'd be looking at my legs and hips all the time, plus it's a long way down to look, ie tougher to make a quick glance.

I think I'll just stick with either bar ends or the Aprilia mirrors.

Mark919, I was definitely going to be drilling for controls. I have seen a lot of references on this site, but I think this one is the best:

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ars-31736.html

Credit to HrcRacing27. It looks pretty straightforward and easy enough to do as long as once I get things placed I measure 2-5 times and drill once. As the great Ron Swanson once said: "Never half ass two things, whole ass one thing."

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Supermoto mirrors for the win my friend, lol. I was being lazy and didn't include a picture.

Rob C

2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #24 of 27 Old 01-28-2015, 07:58 AM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Dan, It looks like you have all the hard parts all sorted out!
Good execution of the 7 P's (Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance)

post #25 of 27 Old 01-28-2015, 08:04 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark919 View Post
Good execution of the 7 P's (Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance)
Systems Engineering at its finest

post #26 of 27 Old 01-28-2015, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
PB

Thanks guys. I'm not a systems engineer, just an electrical engineer (We patent attorneys are uber nerds). There's a lot of things I need to do to the bike this Spring and I'll be sure to document it all. The current plan is to invite a fellow bike owner over to help out in exchange for some food and brews. Pretty good offer right?

post #27 of 27 Old 01-28-2015, 08:48 AM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Thanks guys. I'm not a systems engineer, just an electrical engineer (We patent attorneys are uber nerds). There's a lot of things I need to do to the bike this Spring and I'll be sure to document it all. The current plan is to invite a fellow bike owner over to help out in exchange for some food and brews. Pretty good offer right?
With the offer of some brews I think you'll have locals lined up at your door. I have seen a few 919's running up and down Woodward...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode