Grip Switch - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 07-14-2012, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Grip Switch

Im looking for a switch for my aux lights. I would like to have it directly on the grip, sort of like this: GripAce - Universal Application Kits but instead of hundreds of dollars i was thinking like $5.

Maybe a pressure switch for a firearm light? It would need to be on/off though and not just momentary.

Anyone know of any place to find switches like that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Le So Cal Troll

i must ask whats so pressing that you need to be flipping switches like a mad man and not able to take your thumb off to hit the switches on the left turn pod.

Personally i think its kind of a dumb idea ... id be randomly pressing switches left and right while in the canons.

BUT if you must... radioshack used to cary smal surface mount switches, which could be used to activate a relay (obviously some sort of simple IC so that the momentary switch could be used to switch the relay on and off) ... its whats likely the exact setup used in that overpriced piece of whatever you want to call it haha.

post #3 of 11 Old 07-14-2012, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Immune

I must.

I use my aux lights for the night commute. They are separate from the left signal switches and because they are way too bright, i like to switch them on and off for passing traffic. Just looking for a way to add a switch that will allow me the function without removing my hand from the grip.

Right now i have a random switch literally jammed in a tight spot near the turn signal wires and that makes my move my hand every time. I could use a toggle and just add it to the left controls but id rather not hack it up

post #4 of 11 Old 07-14-2012, 10:39 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRig
I must.

I use my aux lights for the night commute. They are separate from the left signal switches and because they are way too bright, i like to switch them on and off for passing traffic. Just looking for a way to add a switch that will allow me the function without removing my hand from the grip.

Right now i have a random switch literally jammed in a tight spot near the turn signal wires and that makes my move my hand every time. I could use a toggle and just add it to the left controls but id rather not hack it up
I had an idea, but just realizeed it probably wouldn't work,

Oh well here it is, my Honda foreman(Atv) has a on/off for the head light as well as a high/low that are side by side, wired properly something like that you could reach both with you're thumb, but no signal switch on the Atv pod unless you could somehow use the on/off switch....oh well it was just a thought

:buell:
post #5 of 11 Old 07-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRig View Post
I must.

understandable..... yeah best thing would maybe be a small pushbutton switch added to the control pod, that switches a relay on and off.

post #6 of 11 Old 07-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Way back when I was working on a submersible enclosure for a camera that needed a switch for triggering, and obviously needed to be waterproof, my solution was to take a standard 6mm snap switch, solder two thin wires to it, work it onto a brake bleeder cap which I sealed with hot glue, and epoxied it to the housing. Since then I have used exactly the same setup for a garage door remote mounted permanently on the bike with the switch mounted on the left side switch housing. It worked directly since the load was only 20mA, well within the switch's max of 40mA. In your case you will need a D type flip flop IC (4013) configured as a toggle and a driver Mosfet to power a relay sufficient to run the lights.

If you want I could work up all the details and send you an instruction sheet and BOM so you can DIY, or build it and sell it to you. It's really not all that complicated.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Remote switch 2.jpg (119.1 KB, 33 views)

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #7 of 11 Old 07-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Imaginifer

Kill Switch Hijack

I snipped and spliced together the wires to the kill switch on my previous bike so I could use the switch to control 4-way flashers. The flashers consisted of a cheap automotive turn signal relay, two diodes and wires to the turn signals. Worked like a charm and cost less than ten bucks.

If you don't use the kill switch very often (all my bikes have had one of those key thingys that does the same thing), them repurpose the thing for something more useful.

post #8 of 11 Old 07-17-2012, 11:49 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Tusk Universal On/Off Switch | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #9 of 11 Old 07-18-2012, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Thanks for the replies. I am still figuring out exactly how i want it to work.

Im an electronics noob so bear with me. Currently my light setup is using a relay. I actually found a DIY pressure switch on lifehackr and was hoping to use a momentary switch to cycle the relay on/off.
Press once - on
Press again - off

Rob, would you know exactly what i would need for this? I get lost on the actual components i need. I know something like an audrino (sp?) would work but it seems like overkill.

post #10 of 11 Old 07-19-2012, 04:15 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

If you get yourself a control pod for a euro model 919, it has extra switches they use for flash-to-pass & 4-way hazards...one of tgose switches could be re-purposed for aux lighting... it would be a very clean setup, if a new control pod is within your budget.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #11 of 11 Old 07-21-2012, 01:05 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRig View Post
Thanks for the replies. I am still figuring out exactly how i want it to work.

Im an electronics noob so bear with me. Currently my light setup is using a relay. I actually found a DIY pressure switch on lifehackr and was hoping to use a momentary switch to cycle the relay on/off.
Press once - on
Press again - off

Rob, would you know exactly what i would need for this? I get lost on the actual components i need. I know something like an audrino (sp?) would work but it seems like overkill.
The Audurino module is an alternative, but will require programming. Preferable is a push on / push off switch, but most of them are so large mounting where it could be operated without removing your hand from either of the controls would be a problem -- I'm still looking.

The alternative I mentioned before (4013 integrated circuit) is still good, but only if you can't find a switch that will operate a relay directly.

I'll have a better handle on the alternatives soon.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode