Gonna "blackout" my 9er - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Ginger-prick

Gonna "blackout" my 9er

I'm a fan of black motorcycles. Flat black to be more specific. When I was looking for a motorcycle I didn't pay attention to color, because I planned on repainting it anyway (the dealership I work for has a bodyshop so it would be easy).
Well the red on my 2007 919 grew on me and I've gotten plenty of compliments, so I'm going to keep it, or at least a version very similar.
However, there is too much silver/chrome on this bike. I'm really bad at photoshop, but I've made a quick representation of the parts I plan on painting/powdercoating black:

Any thoughts?

2007 Honda 919.
Used to be Red, now it's Green. Open for name suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Ginger-prick

Considering going black with the calipers.. not sure if I like them gold or not.

2007 Honda 919.
post #3 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 04:26 PM
Tirone

At first I thought you were going to paint your tank and plastics, at which point I was going to chime in and offer that we trade our's, because I really like the red

Anyway, I think I've seen some others bikes where they blacked out a bunch of smaller bits like you're wanting to do and I think it looks rather good. Someone else was talking about blacking out the lower part of the forks and that looked nice as well, although not all that easy to do. You could also get black handlebars as well (renthal should have a matte black), and maybe upper triple clamp if you're up to it.

I do wish I had those gold calipers though, they would work well with my gold bars; I don't know why the previous owner went with gold handlebars on mine, but I can live with it for awhile.

post #4 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Ginger-prick

What color are your calipers?
We live pretty close together, and I need to get new brake pads anyway, so I'll have them off pretty soon...

2007 Honda 919.
post #5 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 04:34 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Just my own opinion, but I wouldn't spend money powercoating the stock exhausts when that's the item most changed out on a 919 anyway.

post #6 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Ginger-prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Just my own opinion, but I wouldn't spend money powercoating the stock exhausts when that's the item most changed out on a 919 anyway.
Agreed.
I was going to replace the exhaust this Winter, but if that didn't work out, i'll just paint them, then sell the covers when I do get new exhaust.

2007 Honda 919.
post #7 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Optio

Shouldn't be too terribly expensive to powdercoat the heat shields only. Personally, a lot of that stuff I would rattlecan. The only things I would powdercoat would be stuff that gets a lot of wear and stuff subject to heat.

post #8 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 04:45 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Here's a shot of my old '02 with the headlight brackets, airbox covers, radiator guards, grab bar, and Sato heat shields powdercoated satin black. Also added black Rizoma handlebars, mirrors and rear sets, later model black stator cover, and all the carbon fiber bits. Was going to eventually do the forks, side brackets and swingarm, but sold it before I got around to the full blackout. Decided to keep the headlight rim chrome, thought it went well with the exhaust tips, also sometimes the full black headlamp can look kind of blah, IMO.

post #9 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Optio

Very well done.

post #10 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatDirtFartDust View Post
What color are your calipers?
We live pretty close together, and I need to get new brake pads anyway, so I'll have them off pretty soon...
They're black . I suppose I'd be up for a trade, but I'm ashamed to say that I don't know how to do it...

If you'd be willing to swap 'em while I stand behind you acting like I know what I'm doing I'm up for it.

Here's a picture so you can see 'em

post #11 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Ginger-prick

Quote:
Here's a shot of my old '02 with the headlight brackets, airbox covers, radiator guards, grab bar, and Sato heat shields powdercoated satin black. Also added black Rizoma handlebars, mirrors and rear sets, later model black stator cover, and all the carbon fiber bits. Was going to eventually do the forks, side brackets and swingarm, but sold it before I got around to the full blackout. Decided to keep the headlight rim chrome, thought it went well with the exhaust tips, also sometimes the full black headlamp can look kind of blah, IMO.
That looks really good.
After seeing that i'm going to add black handlebars to my list. I already have black handlebar mirrors.
You may have a point about the chrome on the headlight. I should probably powdercoat the back of the guages, so it will hold up to cleaning off all the dead bugs a little better.
My brother has a 2002 Honda Nighthawk and the whole headlamp is chrome, however when he scratched up the ring I painted that flat black. The black rim and chrome back looked kinda cool.

2007 Honda 919.
post #12 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 04:57 PM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
That looks really good.
After seeing that i'm going to add black handlebars to my list. I already have black handlebar mirrors.
You may have a point about the chrome on the headlight. I should probably powdercoat the back of the guages, so it will hold up to cleaning off all the dead bugs a little better.
My brother has a 2002 Honda Nighthawk and the whole headlamp is chrome, however when he scratched up the ring I painted that flat black. The black rim and chrome back looked kinda cool.
Thanks. The gauges are plastic so you'll have to paint them, do a search here and you'll find several threads detailing the process. Also, have you been following this other thread about blacking out a red 919? https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...rks-28572.html And this old one: https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...aser-9577.html Shots of my black bars in this thread: https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...cs-9039-2.html

post #13 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Ginger-prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmo89 View Post
They're black . I suppose I'd be up for a trade, but I'm ashamed to say that I don't know how to do it...

If you'd be willing to swap 'em while I stand behind you acting like I know what I'm doing I'm up for it.

Here's a picture so you can see 'em
I love when things work out like this!
I work at a car dealership, so we'll pick an evening for you to show up.
I'll have mine off and waiting. If it takes more than 20 minutes to put em on and bleed the brake lines, I'll be surprised.
I'll supply the manpower, tools, and brake fluid. You just gotta show up.

I'll be in touch.

2007 Honda 919.
post #14 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Ginger-prick

Quote:
Thanks. The gauges are plastic so you'll have to paint them, do a search here and you'll find several threads detailing the process. Also, have you been following this other thread about blacking out a red 919? https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...rks-28572.html Also this old one: https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...aser-9577.html
I hadn't seen that thread before, thanks for the info.

2007 Honda 919.
post #15 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 05:08 PM
Tirone

Quote:
I love when things work out like this!
I work at a car dealership, so we'll pick an evening for you to show up.
I'll have mine off and waiting. If it takes more than 20 minutes to put em on and bleed the brake lines, I'll be surprised.
I'll supply the manpower, tools, and brake fluid. You just gotta show up.

I'll be in touch.
Sounds awesome man! We both get pretty new calipers and I don't have to do any work; now that's my kind of deal

I do hope the gold matches my handlebars though, it looks to be a decent match, just as long as they're not off by a lot.

post #16 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 05:11 PM
orange

Awards Showcase

Luckily the calipers are far enough away from your bars that they shouldn't clash. Gold is much like Orange, I've found it's very hard to match!

post #17 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Ginger-prick

I'll have my bike at work all week if you want to swing by and see. PM me if you're up for a road trip out to St. Peters.

2007 Honda 919.
post #18 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Tirone

Quote:
I'll have my bike at work all week if you want to swing by and see. PM me if you're up for a road trip out to St. Peters.
Probably won't be able to come out any time this week because of classes and field work, but I took some pictures just to see.

here's my gold bars

and here's the caliper color just for you to see.

Nothing like hi-res photos to make the bike you just cleaned yesterday look dirty, although you can see the reflection of the brake line in the swing arm

Anyway, I might be able to meet up with you this weekend or sometime next week, just depends my schedule and yours.

On the topic of blacking stuff out though, maybe you could paint the chain adjusters as well? That might look neat.

post #19 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Ginger-prick

This is crudely put together from a stock photo of my bike and your bars. It's actually a pretty close match!

I'm in no hurry, so whenever is good. Anytime before next spring.

2007 Honda 919.
post #20 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 08:57 PM
The Cripple

eatdirt, if you're gonna start blacking stuff out, def black out the swing arm, it makes a huge difference. also if you can, black out the triples and while its getting powdercoated, rattle can the lower triple so you dont have to take it all apart and deal with the bearings, etc.

as for the brakes, make sure you have a mightyvac or you'll be there for much longer than 20 minutes. for some reason these 919's brake systems refuse to be bled quickly and easily without a mightyvac.

post #21 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Ginger-prick

We have a machine that powerflushes brakes on cars. I've seen it used on a Harley. Even if I don't use it to pressurize and flush the brake system, I can still use the vacuum portion at the bleeders.

2007 Honda 919.
post #22 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Tirone

Awesome man, I'll have to get back to you when I'm free. Mondays and Fridays are usually good times for me, as well as the weekends, just not this Friday because I'm procrastinating on a paper and that's my cram day for this week!

Anyway, I'm sure you can do the brakes just fine considering your off road back ground, just as long as you don't get brake fluid all over the place

post #23 of 31 Old 10-25-2011, 07:44 AM
yzarc mi os

Quote:
We have a machine that powerflushes brakes on cars. I've seen it used on a Harley. Even if I don't use it to pressurize and flush the brake system, I can still use the vacuum portion at the bleeders.
you won't need to flush your brakes i put new brake fluid in every toy i owned last month. which was the second time the 919 got new fluid this year because of the stainless brake line swap. I can happily say i own enough motorcycles and quads it took 2 1/2 quarts to do all of them and a mighty vac doesn't waste a lot of fluid.

Common sense. So rare it's a god damn super power.
post #24 of 31 Old 10-25-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Ginger-prick

Ok Jon, if it's a nice Monday I can come in (it's usually my day off, but I'll use it as a reason to ride)
Otherwised Fridays are better. I get off on Fridays at 5:30 and the building is open till 9, so that gives plenty of time in an empty shop to do the work.

Good to know Poorboy, and I got your message. This week is shot, but almost any day next week is good for me.

2007 Honda 919.
post #25 of 31 Old 10-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Tirone

Next Friday would probably be best then, as I'm usually trying to cram a bunch of homework in on Monday. Only reason I'm not available this Friday is because I have some stuff due midnight on that night and of course I'm waiting until that day to start it .

I can send you a PM this weekend or so hopefully once I figure out my schedule and such.

Since you're blacking yours out, and I'm apparently "golding" mine out some, I've been looking at some stuff to get that was gold. They make some nice gold master cylinder covers (front and rear), oil caps, hex bolt covers and stuff like that. I just have to try to make it look tasteful, as I think it's rather easy to make gold look trashy.

post #26 of 31 Old 10-25-2011, 09:12 PM
yzarc mi os

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmo89 View Post
Next Friday would probably be best then, as I'm usually trying to cram a bunch of homework in on Monday. Only reason I'm not available this Friday is because I have some stuff due midnight on that night and of course I'm waiting until that day to start it .

I can send you a PM this weekend or so hopefully once I figure out my schedule and such.

Since you're blacking yours out, and I'm apparently "golding" mine out some, I've been looking at some stuff to get that was gold. They make some nice gold master cylinder covers (front and rear), oil caps, hex bolt covers and stuff like that. I just have to try to make it look tasteful, as I think it's rather easy to make gold look trashy.

didn't yopu get the chain and sprockets? most of DID'd chains are gold my erv3 that's on the bike josh bought was. I always loved the look of a gold chain for some reason. although yamahas look good with a blue one. there is a local anodizer near us Jon i would have to look him up again but you can bring a piece to him for an example and he could match that color on almost any metal part you can think of.

Common sense. So rare it's a god damn super power.
post #27 of 31 Old 10-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
didn't yopu get the chain and sprockets? most of DID'd chains are gold my erv3 that's on the bike josh bought was. I always loved the look of a gold chain for some reason. although yamahas look good with a blue one. there is a local anodizer near us Jon i would have to look him up again but you can bring a piece to him for an example and he could match that color on almost any metal part you can think of.
I had a gold regina chain on my V-strom that was quite nice looking, and I'll definitely get another gold one (regina or otherwise) eventually, but at the moment I have at least 10k left in my current chain/sprockets (oem) if I continue to take care of it.

I was thinking about anodizing some stuff eventually, but I figure I'm going to wait until next spring until I start thinking about that kind of stuff, not to mention how much it might cost. I'll probably just buy bits whenever I can afford to, that's usually how it goes.

post #28 of 31 Old 10-26-2011, 03:25 AM
Tirone

Here is my old one blacked out, not completely, but i thought it looked good

And here it is with a touch of red

Riding a GSX-R 1000 Streetfighter 170whp
post #29 of 31 Old 10-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

LinvilleFalls002.jpg

LinvilleFalls033.jpg

You'll love the results with your project!

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #30 of 31 Old 10-26-2011, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Ginger-prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
Here is my old one blacked out, not completely, but i thought it looked good
The belly pan is growing on me. Not big on the red for the wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
Attachment 18561

Attachment 18562

You'll love the results with your project!
I aspire for this...damn that looks good.

2007 Honda 919.
post #31 of 31 Old 10-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Batman

Check out my work in progress, I like the stock exhaust cuz its quiet and free cuz it came with the bike. cost me $75 to do stock lower and main shields. This winter I may powder the swingarm, and get a carbon fiber front guard as mine is cracked.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ent-26281.html

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode