Go Pro advice - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 05-22-2015, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips

Garage
Go Pro advice

I am really wanting a Go Pro to video rides/kids activities. I don't need top of the line. What do you think of this $199 one at best buy? There is a $129 version but its even older model and I don't think it comes with enough mounts.

GoPro HD Hero3: White Edition Action Camera White CHDHE-302 - Best Buy

07' 919 - In Progress

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-22-2015, 11:27 AM
Princeps Prior

The tech used in these has changed very, very quickly. The main driver is smartphones and the research going into it. What's new one year, becomes outdated quickly and the price drops.

In addition, WiFi and BT have new standards that'll outdate yesterdays devices. Some of these might be implemented already.

GoPro took the lead and now Sony, JVC and many others have jumped in.

Point: If you wait, you'll get more bang for your buck or be given options not seen yet. The GoPro got fame but the complete package wasn't so great. but it worked. Things like remote control, battery life, storage, remote screen, etc... will all improve.

I bought a pocket HD camera years ago, it works great, but the remote sucks. It won't stay in standby mode even with A/C power, low light really sucks, and several other things that are probably standard now.

Having said that, it the specs vs price are good for you, then fine. No need to "wait till next year" just to save $50 or get the better one at the same price.

Much like buying a PC, I wait for a certain level of advancement, then usually buy what will last me for years. I then don't upgrade until I really need to.

post #3 of 21 Old 05-22-2015, 12:41 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

There are alternatives to GoPro. I will be exploring them with my next action can purchase. Here is my track record. Hero2 died at 14mo. Purchased 2 contour roams almost 3 years ago and they are still alive and well. Last year I bought a hero3 black. Within a month the WiFi button lead to a constantly dead battery. I fixed it myself, since GoPro only offered a 10% discount instead of addressing the issue. For $500 I expected a lot less frustration. My default rig is the contour now. 2 cameras last a whole day of riding, and I can tell by touch if the camera is turned on...granted that doesn't tell me if the card is full or the battery is dead.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided

post #4 of 21 Old 05-22-2015, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
There are alternatives to GoPro. I will be exploring them with my next action can purchase. Here is my track record. Hero2 died at 14mo. Purchased 2 contour roams almost 3 years ago and they are still alive and well. Last year I bought a hero3 black. Within a month the WiFi button lead to a constantly dead battery. I fixed it myself, since GoPro only offered a 10% discount instead of addressing the issue. For $500 I expected a lot less frustration. My default rig is the contour now. 2 cameras last a whole day of riding, and I can tell by touch if the camera is turned on...granted that doesn't tell me if the card is full or the battery is dead.
Good review, I was looking at the Hero 3 seems to have the features I want. I will check the Contours out too now.

07' 919 - In Progress

Dan
post #5 of 21 Old 05-22-2015, 12:47 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Contours also sit more flush to surfaces rather than a boxy device.

+1 on Contour. If you need extended life get the models with the removable battery.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #6 of 21 Old 05-22-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips

Garage
Does the contour come with easy to use software?

07' 919 - In Progress

Dan
post #7 of 21 Old 05-22-2015, 01:22 PM
Princeps Prior

I have the Contour+. Wish I had the +2 . On the +2 the main switch turns the camera on and starts recording with the one motion. Other than that it's a great camera except for trying to film at night

post #8 of 21 Old 05-22-2015, 01:37 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
Does the contour come with easy to use software?
I am a Linux dork; if it did I wouldn't be able to use it but I do not recall if it came with anything.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #9 of 21 Old 05-22-2015, 01:40 PM
Princeps Prior

Their software is available online

post #10 of 21 Old 05-22-2015, 04:21 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Just look at videos online and look at quality. I like GoPro over Contour. Now the Snea Prism is looking real good but it only records 1080p @30FPS and not 60FPS.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #11 of 21 Old 05-22-2015, 06:35 PM
Le So Cal Troll

plain and simple, i have yet to find something other than gopro that provides near the quality of video.

post #12 of 21 Old 05-23-2015, 12:49 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage

This guy is probably the best camera reviewer on YouTube at current.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #13 of 21 Old 05-23-2015, 02:33 AM
Princeps Prior

Sure the Go pro has slightly better video quality. There are several reasons to look at other cameras. The go pro is bulky and has shitty battery life. Along with being difficult to use as compared to others. It's not waterproof. It's difficult to start filming on the fly. It doesn't have a rotating lens, making it only being capable of filming either horizontally or vertically. Which you must change in the settings. When using the waterproof case you lose sound. You have to buy accessories to even mount the the camera to anything. The Contour gets my vote because of these reasons along with being cheaper than the Go pro. They also have an app to control the camera just like go pro .

post #14 of 21 Old 05-23-2015, 06:34 AM
Discen

Does anyone here have experience with how the Contour Roam 3 stacks up vs the older models?

I'm here for a good time, not a long time
post #15 of 21 Old 05-23-2015, 07:02 AM
Discen

I would go for a SJCAM SJ5000+ right now for $150. Similar to a gopro3 and much cheaper.

Or in instance a SJ4000 wifi for $75, which is very close to a gopro2

ROUNDED HEADLIGHTS LIBERATION FRONT

aaaa
.. a ^aa
^aaaaa
aa ^aaa avispaoencarretera.blogspot.com.es

post #16 of 21 Old 05-23-2015, 07:04 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks919 View Post
Does anyone here have experience with how the Contour Roam 3 stacks up vs the older models?
Your best bet is to look at YouTube videos for comparison.

post #17 of 21 Old 05-23-2015, 02:50 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
Sure the Go pro has slightly better video quality. There are several reasons to look at other cameras. The go pro is bulky and has shitty battery life. Along with being difficult to use as compared to others. It's not waterproof. It's difficult to start filming on the fly. It doesn't have a rotating lens, making it only being capable of filming either horizontally or vertically. Which you must change in the settings. When using the waterproof case you lose sound. You have to buy accessories to even mount the the camera to anything. The Contour gets my vote because of these reasons along with being cheaper than the Go pro. They also have an app to control the camera just like go pro .
If you can wait, the video quality will only go up. Just like digi cams did in the old days.
Smartphones are driving MANY things:
Battery life
Camera quality, including low light
On the device editing
Processor power which leads to burst mode and other things
Communications (new WiFi specs, BT specs...)
Price points

Just to name a few. Just wait and see what happens next ... I too hate waiting...

post #18 of 21 Old 05-23-2015, 03:14 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I still use a contour roam and go pro 1 lol, I have relics of cameras but they're still running so no need to upgrade yet.

As for cameras, the top of the line gopro at the moment is extremely impressive in specs with 4k shooting. Talk about going through memory cards.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #19 of 21 Old 05-23-2015, 06:20 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Ill say right now... My hero 3+ black edition gets TRUMPED in video quality vs my buddies hero 4 black.

And my hero 3+ black does an amazing job at recording video.

Mounts etc... cmon shit is cheap and with the proper arms you can mount the camera horizontal or vertical. Settings are easily changed, and TBH once you figure out what filming style you like.... you hardly change the settings. And if you really want to change the settings, go pro app on your phone and you never have to touch the camera.

There is a reason you see gopros being used vs others for professional stuff... it simply gets better video!

post #20 of 21 Old 05-23-2015, 06:43 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

I have a drift stealth 2 that I really like. My favorite part it that the lens rotates to orient it, so you don't have to mount it horizontally. And it's pretty small.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #21 of 21 Old 05-24-2015, 02:06 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
If you can wait, the video quality will only go up. Just like digi cams did in the old days.
Smartphones are driving MANY things:
Battery life
Camera quality, including low light
On the device editing
Processor power which leads to burst mode and other things
Communications (new WiFi specs, BT specs...)
Price points

Just to name a few. Just wait and see what happens next ... I too hate waiting...
That's another reason to buy cheap chinese cameras.

ROUNDED HEADLIGHTS LIBERATION FRONT

aaaa
.. a ^aa
^aaaaa
aa ^aaa avispaoencarretera.blogspot.com.es

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode