Feeler - Bell Star Helmet - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 03-11-2009, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Iron Buffalo

Feeler - Bell Star Helmet

I know that Bell used to be the king of helmets 30 years ago, but since then they seem to have fallen off a bit. However, their latest round of helmets seems to be getting some great reviews. I am particularly interested in the Bell Star helmet. Does anybody have any experience with the fit, comfort, quality of this helmet?

All feedback is appreciated.

"Show up, shut up, and keep up." - My Grandpa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Best review you'll ever get besides writing your own.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...met/bell-star/

There's your plan and then there's God's plan.........
Your's doesn't matter.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-20-2009, 08:29 AM
hairball919

You're right, Bell used to be the shiznit when it came to helmets! If you owned a Bell, you were a status symbol on your block! That all seemed to change when they started putting their name on Korean made bicycle accessories sold at K-Mart and Wal-Mart. Apparently a few loyal followers must have sent Bell a piece of their minds if they came back out with helmets. I have no doubt they will again become the top helmet brand! Another helmet that would most certainly get you laid was anything by Simpson. Although designed more for drag racing, if you had a Simpson helmet, chicks would dig ya and fellow racers or bike riders would worship you. But somehow Shoei (what I have), Nolan, Arai, and others have put Bell & Simpson to the bottom of the "I have the best helmet and I'm cool, therefore chicks should dig me" status line.

Thanks to your post, I'm gonna rush out and check into the Bell Star!

Ironically, Bell Stars were the best freakin' helmet you could buy when I started riding back in the 70's!

post #4 of 9 Old 03-20-2009, 09:18 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Its been getting good reviews, I posted a link to a closeout deal on a version of it over at motorcyclecloseouts.com, 199$ for the version on sale.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #5 of 9 Old 03-20-2009, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Iron Buffalo

Bought the discounted model from Motorcyclecloseouts.com.

Initial Review: Love it. Seems to be very high quality, and it moves some serious air! More ventilation than the Shoei RF-1000 and the Shark RSR2. Noisier than both of those helmets too though. It comes with an awesome helmet bag that you've got to see to believe. It also comes with an extra set of cheek pads that are more firm for "race days" apparently. I'm going to stick with it although I'll miss the 3mm visor my Shark had.

post #6 of 9 Old 03-21-2009, 05:51 AM

Why did you sel the Shark? They look like great helmets.

post #7 of 9 Old 03-21-2009, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Iron Buffalo

They are AWESOME helmets and I would recommend them to anyone without a head shaped like mine. I started out with an XL (no prize winning pumpkin jokes please) and it just felt too roomy in the 'crown' area. I felt like it wasn't fitting right after only a couple of short rides, so I bought the Large size and that one leaves my forehead with a slight, but noticeable pressure point on my forehead. Then I saw the great deal on the Bell Star and thought I'd try that. I do feel like I'm sacrificing some awesome features that the Shark has, but I guess I think the properly fitting Bell would do a better job of keeping my brain from turning to soup should I ever take a fall. Shark is definitely a great helmet though. Maybe future models will fit me better. As for now, my needs are met.

post #8 of 9 Old 03-21-2009, 06:14 AM
hairball919

Noisier than the RF-1000? Dang! I don't really like my RF-1000 for two reasons: very little ventilation that I can actually feel, and pretty noisy, especially if you turn your head. I thought the new Bells looked and seem great, but I'm not sure I need MORE wind noise!

post #9 of 9 Old 03-21-2009, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Iron Buffalo

In my experience, the RF-1000 wasn't that noisy. Maybe I've just been riding around with noisy helmets to begin with, but yeah, the Bell is noisier than the RF. The Shark is a pretty quiet helmet if it fits correctly. I haven't ridden with the X-Eleven or any Arai's though so maybe my comparison is lacking a little. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode