Eyeing Ohlins - other ubgrade advice? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 08-27-2014, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
dazed and confused

Eyeing Ohlins - other ubgrade advice?

So I finally watched the taillight of my old bike disappear down the road, leaving a tear on my cheek and bulge in my wallet. The only thing for me to do now is obvious: blow the cash on '9er mods!

I'm already eyeing picking up an Ohlins shock, but I'm also thinking about yosh exhaust, PC3, renthal bars, custom seat, and bling like mirrors, levers, etc. The problem is that I don't have THAT much cash so I'm looking to you guys primarily help me figure out the order of importance, as well as suggesting things I may have missed. I could knock a lot off that list for the price of the Ohlins; is it worth it? Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-27-2014, 03:36 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Do the Ohlins and never look back, LDH might be still offering the screaming deal on them

Dan
post #3 of 15 Old 08-27-2014, 03:39 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Everyone say suspension mods are the best mod you could do. I am going for a Penske rear and Racetech .9s up front. Ohlins are the best in the world depending on who you ask.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.

post #4 of 15 Old 08-27-2014, 04:19 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Do it.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-27-2014, 05:28 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Do the Ohlins and never look back, LDH might be still offering the screaming deal on them
+1!

post #6 of 15 Old 08-27-2014, 05:29 PM
Princeps Prior

Ohlins rear, racetech springs front, corbin seat, custom led tail light, exhaust, other bling....

the ohlins is the best mod I've done for the bike. Suspension is key. Then comfort, so you can ride long. Then the custom led tail light, it rocks. then exhaust and other flashy over function mods

post #7 of 15 Old 08-27-2014, 05:30 PM
Discen

I agree, suspension is the way to go if I have to choose one I would go with suspension. Ride safe.

post #8 of 15 Old 08-27-2014, 05:46 PM
Batman

ok, what about gear. do you have a proper helmet? i would also put rear suspension over anything else, but your options are slim. front isnt even a question, do that at the same time.

get an airhawk or wool cover, unless you 2up a lot, a corbin isnt the best option.

next up id say headlamp upgrade.

i like my bikes quiet so exhaust and such i have opinion on.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-28-2014, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
dazed and confused

Thanks everybody for the advice; it sounds like I'll be looking into going gold with an Ohlins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by velodesign View Post
ok, what about gear. do you have a proper helmet? i would also put rear suspension over anything else, but your options are slim. front isnt even a question, do that at the same time.

get an airhawk or wool cover, unless you 2up a lot, a corbin isnt the best option.

next up id say headlamp upgrade.
Yep, I've got a nice helmet and have already set some money aside for a better jacket and gloves. I was also planning on doing the headlight no matter what since I'm extremely underwhelmed by the stock bulb's performance. Any suggestions on what a good lamp would be?

So it looks like my focus will be on the rear shock, and then probably a new seat (I'm a tall skinny guy, and lack natural 'padding'). I'm actually looking at a custom seat from a local guy in Tacoma that the local Honda shop raves about - apparently he makes amazing seats at a very affordable price.

post #10 of 15 Old 08-29-2014, 08:09 PM
Dragon Slayer

You will love Ohlins. It totally transforms the feel of the bike.

2002 SuperHornet 919 - In a continuously variable state of modification.

1974 CB360- awaiting restoration money

Past Bikes:

1981 XL 80
1984? Nighthawk 650
1992? Zephyr 1100
1991? ZX-11
1999 ZRX 1100
1984 V45 Magna
2001 GSXR 750
1985 Shadow 1100
post #11 of 15 Old 10-12-2014, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
dazed and confused

Ohlins review

I'm posting this here for people that may stumble across this thread looking for advice. If you have the money/means to get rear suspension upgrade and are wondering if you should - everyone here was right; DO IT. I broke down and went with the Ohlins shock deal being offered by LDH, and I was finally able to get it installed last night.

My thoughts on the suspension: it doesn't make the ride any softer on the little bumps and divets, but it does soak up the large ones MUCH more effectively without the pogo effect. However, that's just a side point. The main point is that it makes the rear feel glued to the ground. I had seen other people say this, but I doubted that I would really notice it - I did. Hitting bumps while cornering was clench-worthy on the stock shock, but with the Ohlins I don't even have the slightest feeling of losing the back end. Overall, the bike just seems so much more solid on the road, and it inspires much more confidence in the bike. I absolutely love this upgrade, and I'm extremely happy that I went with it at the first chance I got. (Though I'm glad that I rode the bike on the stock unit long enough that I'm able to fully appreciate the new one.)

post #12 of 15 Old 10-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Robert

Garage
I have a HO 322 and love it with the RC51front-end. Dan Kyle got me the shock for $570 shipped.

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
post #13 of 15 Old 10-12-2014, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
dazed and confused

Installation notes

It really was pretty straight-forward to do this swap, but I've got a couple notes that will hopefully help somebody.

1. If it looks like it might be in your way, loosen/remove it. This will make your life a lot easier than trying to fight it.
2. If you have the built-in centerstand: after getting it on the stand, slide a 1x4 under the rear tire. This perfectly aligns the swing arm bracket with the lower suspension bolt hole, which removes all tension on it.
3. The cable for the remote-preload adjuster winds up on the left side, so if you want to attach it to the right rearset (personally I like this position) route the cable for the adjuster behind the top end of the shock. I tried in front, but the shock ends up pinching the cable and I'm sure it'd rub through with time.

post #14 of 15 Old 10-12-2014, 11:50 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

You should look into a 2pc suit (something you can break apart and use the jacket on the daily) and using some of that $$ for track time after you do the forks as well and get a professional baseline done for your weight with gear.

Of course you can do the baseline yourself but its worth the $50ish to have it done proper. Plus you get to see how the pros do it and ask questions.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #15 of 15 Old 10-13-2014, 12:02 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
You should look into a 2pc suit...
Hey, I know a guy ...

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode