DIY alu-rack - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Will fly for food.

Garage
DIY alu-rack

Well, now that the Spring semester has started, I decided it was time to make the 919 a little better at commuting/touring. After receiving a free National Cycle street shield, I purchased a cheesy Bilt tank bag and have really enjoyed their versatility so far. However, my neighbor is selling his V-Star 1100 and I managed to talk him out of the Pelican 1550 case he mounted on the sissy bar.

I am now trying to get the Pelican case secured on the 919. I priced the different racks available just to make sure I wanted to build my own

I mocked it up on the 919 just to see how massive the 1550 is on the back of the bike. A little large in my opinion, but the price was right

So using some mild steel thick-wall tubing, I made some ~1.25" spacers (equal length to the shank of the 80mm long bolts I used) and hacked out some angle in the band saw. After match-drilling the holes from the grab rail over to the angles, I mocked it up on the bike-

I set the bike on the swingarm stand (choked up on it so the rear wheel was still touching the ground) and took the level out to make the tops of the angle aluminum level with the ground-

Then, with the help of the bandsaw, cut the angles level-

mocked it all back up and set the pelican case back on to see it in the level position. I have really killed the sex appeal this bike has by adding all of these comfort items, but I feel they help make the bike less 'cop attractive'

Stay tuned!

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-17-2013, 05:33 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Really nice work! Looks like that case will hold a lot.

post #3 of 13 Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

Yeah, nice work. That storage space will spoil you. I went to a lot of trouble to make my cases removable but I NEVER leave home without them.

post #4 of 13 Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 AM
just send it.

Garage
Looks good so far. I had the SW-MOTECH ALU RACK on my 9er and loved the crap out of it.

[This space for rent]
post #5 of 13 Old 01-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Really nice work! Looks like that case will hold a lot.
Yeah! You can even climb in there when it rains.

Good job!

post #6 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Will fly for food.

Garage
Update!

Well, while sitting in Probability & Random Variables (SYEN 3314), I managed to get the bright idea of removable case/ saddlebags using seat frames/rails from some of the salvage birds we have in the yard!

Ain't these purty?

But, beneath all that beautiful vinyl leopard print exposed the seat frames, and it all looks promising-

Once I removed the seat springs and the recline mechanism from the bottom seat frame, and removed the aluminum rails from the airplane, I had this-

So now I'm back to brainstorming. I need to work on my welding skills so this is the perfect opportunity to get some experience!

If I play my cards right, I can have the case adjustable forward/aft for whatever reason, and I'm planning on attaching saddlebags in the same fashion that would allow up/down adjustment (just because!)

More to follow as progress continues!

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
post #7 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 11:28 PM
The Cripple

Very cool! I love the idea of the box being shifted forward or backwards. Keep it coming!

post #8 of 13 Old 01-19-2013, 07:50 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Great idea and very creative. What would even be better is if the track were on the bottom so the entire frame could be shifted back. May be harder to stabilize though. Oh and your rear tire looks toasted.

Really cool work!

post #9 of 13 Old 01-19-2013, 10:18 AM
just send it.

Garage
Don't forget to save the leopard print vinyl so you can recover your seat... Kill 2 birds with one stone.

But TBH, I would flip your mounting idea upside down. I'd weld the flat rails on the bike and mount the round bar to the case. That way if you remove the top case, the exposed rack attached to your bike would look a little cleaner.

[This space for rent]
post #10 of 13 Old 01-23-2013, 01:21 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

A word of caution. There's not much meat back there in the tail and I broke my grab bar mounts off with a similar rig on my last bike.

Of course I overloaded the case and even carried a dry bag on top but months of cavitation did it in.

So take it easy until you get your side case racks built and run lateral braces up to the back.

Good luck.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-23-2013, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Will fly for food.

Garage
YIKES!!! Thanks for the heads up! I slowed down on the whole touring setup for now, but will resume the closer it gets to the middle of March. A friend of mine and I are planning on a motorcycle trip out to ride the Dragon and visit a friend in northern Georgia (what better way to spend Spring Break than on a bike?!)

Probably going to make a rack to bolt onto the rear half of my 'touring seat' and use a big duffle bag and a cargo net, and run soft saddlebags. All in good, cheap fun

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
post #12 of 13 Old 03-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Tirone

Custom rack setup

I built something similar but I was looking for the most versatility out of what it could carry. I used bars from a Thule roof rack.

I did mount to the grab handle locations, but to counter the leverage forces on it I attached a cable from the forward section down to the passenger pegs. This converts any twisting force on the mount point into direct downward pressure (I think.) I then wrapped the cable in silicone tape to protect the paint and pipe.

With the forward bar that goes over the pilon seat I can mount a bike rack. It also makes for a very versatile rack for attaching luggage. I can take that bar off to free up the passenger location while still having the rear section for a small bag.

Most of the time I keep an elastic net on here that works great for strapping down a backpack or random groceries. Very good for commuting. It looks a little chunky up close, but the black plastic coating makes it less conspicuous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 2013-03-12 06.09.28 PM.jpg (253.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Photo 2013-03-12 06.09.49 PM.jpg (258.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Photo 2012-11-24 12.22.36 PM.jpg (289.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 376930_890292245433_1481711372_n.jpg (181.8 KB, 40 views)

post #13 of 13 Old 03-13-2013, 06:27 PM
Pierre-Marc

nice work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode