Determining Year of Wheel - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bartsitarski

post #1 of 6 Old 07-21-2017, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
Determining Year of Wheel

Since I will be getting the new to me 6 spoke wheels powder coated, I need to remove the bearings. Truth be told, I want to replace them as cheap insurance anyway. That said, I am not sure what year the rear came from. The ad says 93-95, but, there is a difference in part numbers between 1994 and 1995 for the dust seal. How do I determine which year the wheel is from or which dust seals I should get?

Dust Seal P/Ns

1994: 91253-443-762
1995: 91253-MAE-003

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-21-2017, 11:43 AM
919 Rider

You could just get em both. I wonder if they aren't the same anyway. I've seen the identical part for the 919 being sold over different years with different part number's.

post #3 of 6 Old 07-21-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
You could just get em both. I wonder if they aren't the same anyway. I've seen the identical part for the 919 being sold over different years with different part number's.

I would, but don't want to waste $30. I bet they are the same, but would rather confirm before spending money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Michael Jordan

post #4 of 6 Old 07-21-2017, 12:34 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Information of Interest on this topic:

Honda Motorcycle Part Numbers

All parts on a Honda motorcycle have a unique part number. Honda divides parts into two broad categories, General Parts and Standard Parts. General parts are those unique to Honda, such as valves, pistons, gas tank etc. Standard parts are parts that follow universal standards, such as nuts, bolts and such.
General Parts

General parts have a part number divided into 3 sections, such as 22201-217-600 (clutch friction plate for the CL160).

The first string of digits (22201-XXX-XXX) indicates the Honda function and component number for this part. For example, there are several different part numbers for the CB160 clutch friction plate, all sharing function/component number 22201. Clutch steel plates have f/c code 22311, indicating same function but different component.
The second string of digits (XXXXX-217-XXX) is the product code, also known as Parts Classification Number in hondaspeak. This is the number that indicates the product (motorcycle) where this particular part was first used. Click here: Product Codes for a complete listing of older Honda product codes (big pdf file). 217 indicates that the CB/CL clutch friction plates where first used in the CB160. You will find these same plates with this number in later Honda Motorcycles. Some of the CB160 parts bear the 028 part code, indicating it was first used in the S90. Honda often lists several different part numbers for the same part, indicating slight differences in the part, such as different supplier etc.
All General parts having a different product code are "recycled" from other Honda models. Only parts with code 217 were originally designed for the CB160, but may have been used in later Honda models. The product code is probably the most interesting portion of the part number when trying to determine interchangeability of Honda parts between various models.

The third string of digits (XXXXX-XXX-000) is the Classification Number. It is mostly used to indicate various suppliers or improvements for the same part. Also any potential color code is tacked at the end of the classification number as digits (letters) 4 & 5.
Note that some pretty universal parts are still listed under General Parts number. For example most oil seals carry a general parts number. Luckily Honda parts fiche lists the actual dimensions for parts like this.

Hope this is helpful.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #5 of 6 Old 07-21-2017, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-DocLizard1 View Post
Information of Interest on this topic:

Honda Motorcycle Part Numbers

All parts on a Honda motorcycle have a unique part number. Honda divides parts into two broad categories, General Parts and Standard Parts. General parts are those unique to Honda, such as valves, pistons, gas tank etc. Standard parts are parts that follow universal standards, such as nuts, bolts and such.

General Parts

General parts have a part number divided into 3 sections, such as 22201-217-600 (clutch friction plate for the CL160).

The first string of digits (22201-XXX-XXX) indicates the Honda function and component number for this part. For example, there are several different part numbers for the CB160 clutch friction plate, all sharing function/component number 22201. Clutch steel plates have f/c code 22311, indicating same function but different component.

The second string of digits (XXXXX-217-XXX) is the product code, also known as Parts Classification Number in hondaspeak. This is the number that indicates the product (motorcycle) where this particular part was first used. Click here: Product Codes for a complete listing of older Honda product codes (big pdf file). 217 indicates that the CB/CL clutch friction plates where first used in the CB160. You will find these same plates with this number in later Honda Motorcycles. Some of the CB160 parts bear the 028 part code, indicating it was first used in the S90. Honda often lists several different part numbers for the same part, indicating slight differences in the part, such as different supplier etc.

All General parts having a different product code are "recycled" from other Honda models. Only parts with code 217 were originally designed for the CB160, but may have been used in later Honda models. The product code is probably the most interesting portion of the part number when trying to determine interchangeability of Honda parts between various models.

The third string of digits (XXXXX-XXX-000) is the Classification Number. It is mostly used to indicate various suppliers or improvements for the same part. Also any potential color code is tacked at the end of the classification number as digits (letters) 4 & 5.

Note that some pretty universal parts are still listed under General Parts number. For example most oil seals carry a general parts number. Luckily Honda parts fiche lists the actual dimensions for parts like this.

Hope this is helpful.

This post is money. Thank you!

-Michael Jordan
post #6 of 6 Old 07-21-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsitarski View Post
This post is money. Thank you!

In fact it should be a sticky.

TheScientist likes this.

-Michael Jordan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode