Delvic 900rr header convertion - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 03-25-2015, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Mxhonda215's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minot
Posts: 37
Rep Power: 1
 
So I know what you all are thinking. "This guy is beating a dead horse". I realize that there are TONS of thread with ridiculous amounts of information and questions about the 900rr exhaust swap. I'm going to create another. Hopefully it helps anyone out there who's looking to do this mod. Even more importantly, seeing as this is an ongoing project, I hope that some of you have some valuable insight for me. Plus everyone loves to show of pictures of their bikes

After dropping the stock headers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20150325_114813.jpg (39.6 KB, 34 views)

Mxhonda215 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 03-25-2015, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Mxhonda215's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minot
Posts: 37
Rep Power: 1
 
With the mufflers pulled off. I decided to change the oild while the headers were out of the way.

ForumRunner_20150325_115237.jpg

Mxhonda215 is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 03-25-2015, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Mxhonda215's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minot
Posts: 37
Rep Power: 1
 
All jacked up with the rear shock disconnected to remove the Y-pipe.

ForumRunner_20150325_115409.jpg

Mxhonda215 is offline  
 
post #4 of 31 Old 03-25-2015, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Mxhonda215's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minot
Posts: 37
Rep Power: 1
 
A comparison between the stock headers and the Delvic 900rr headers

ForumRunner_20150325_115558.png



ForumRunner_20150325_115610.png



ForumRunner_20150325_115621.png

Mxhonda215 is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 03-25-2015, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Mxhonda215's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minot
Posts: 37
Rep Power: 1
 
Forgot to take pictures of the headers after they were installed (mostly). I'll post more soon

Mxhonda215 is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 03-25-2015, 11:15 AM
Dragon Slayer
 
oak1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 1,069
Rep Power: 1
 
I had to stretch mine to get it to fit on the exhaust manifold. This and the power commander really woke my bike up.

2002 SuperHornet 919 - In a continuously variable state of modification.

1974 CB360- awaiting restoration money

Past Bikes:

1981 XL 80
1984? Nighthawk 650
1992? Zephyr 1100
1991? ZX-11
1999 ZRX 1100
1984 V45 Magna
2001 GSXR 750
1985 Shadow 1100
oak1971 is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 03-25-2015, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Mxhonda215's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minot
Posts: 37
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
I had to stretch mine to get it to fit on the exhaust manifold. This and the power commander really woke my bike up.
I saw a few pictures the showed the 4 individual header pipes being different distances apart from each other. Luckily mine seemed pretty close to stock. Still had to wrestle with it for an hour or so to get it mounted up

Mxhonda215 is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 03-26-2015, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Mxhonda215's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minot
Posts: 37
Rep Power: 1
 
The freshly arrived Two Brothers M-2 muffler for 96-99 GSXR 600/750

ForumRunner_20150326_185155.jpg



ForumRunner_20150326_185204.png

Mxhonda215 is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 03-27-2015, 06:06 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
badmoon692008's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Neenah, WI
Posts: 2,208
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

that's snazzy looking

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
badmoon692008 is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 03-27-2015, 06:49 AM
Ian
 
HeliMech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 3,313
Rep Power: 1
 
That should work out great!

One word of caution ..... watch out for your rear brake line.

Pulling the lower shock bolt & letting the swingarm drop down with the weight of the rear wheel on it .... while jacking the bike like that can put all kinds of strain on the fwd fitting of the rear brake line.

I destroyed a braided rear line on mine once rushing to pull the rear shock and not paying attention.

HeliMech is offline  
post #11 of 31 Old 03-27-2015, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Mxhonda215's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minot
Posts: 37
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliMech View Post
That should work out great!

One word of caution ..... watch out for your rear brake line.

Pulling the lower shock bolt & letting the swingarm drop down with the weight of the rear wheel on it .... while jacking the bike like that can put all kinds of strain on the fwd fitting of the rear brake line.

I destroyed a braided rear line on mine once rushing to pull the rear shock and not paying attention.
Hmm, I didn't think of that at the time. I only dropped the swing arm barely enough to remove the y-pipe, so I don't think there was a ton of stress on it, but I will definitely double check it

Mxhonda215 is offline  
post #12 of 31 Old 03-27-2015, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Mxhonda215's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minot
Posts: 37
Rep Power: 1
 
Header installed. Looks like I still need to work with it a bit to get it to sit properly

ForumRunner_20150327_092930.jpg

Mxhonda215 is offline  
post #13 of 31 Old 03-27-2015, 07:38 AM
Cornicen
 
gibbonater's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 594
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxhonda215 View Post
The freshly arrived Two Brothers M-2 muffler for 96-99 GSXR 600/750

Attachment 101042



Attachment 101050
Can't wait to see that mounted. Looks good!

Bikes:
2004 V-Rod (sold)
2004 CBR600F4i (sold)
2003 RC51
2010 Triump Scrambler (sold)
2003 CB900F
2004 CBR 600rr

Non Bikes:
2007 JK Sahara
2005 CTS V (sold)
2006 Audi S4
gibbonater is offline  
post #14 of 31 Old 03-27-2015, 12:00 PM
Community Moderator
 
g00gl3it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,611
Rep Power: 1
  

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxhonda215 View Post
Header installed. Looks like I still need to work with it a bit to get it to sit properly

Attachment 101090
Just rotate the pipe down a bit more, that should bring it away from the rearsets a bit. It helps to mount the can temporarily as you'll see the final position.

You may have to fab a bracket up to connect the inside mid-pipe to the frame and help pull it away from the bike a bit.

I had to. I just had the guy that ceramic coated my headers also weld a small mounting tab on the mid-pipe for that very reason.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2006 Honda 599 - Wanda
2007 Honda CB900F (click for pics -sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
g00gl3it is offline  
post #15 of 31 Old 03-28-2015, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Mxhonda215's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minot
Posts: 37
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post

Just rotate the pipe down a bit more, that should bring it away from the rearsets a bit. It helps to mount the can temporarily as you'll see the final position.

You may have to fab a bracket up to connect the inside mid-pipe to the frame and help pull it away from the bike a bit.

I had to. I just had the guy that ceramic coated my headers also weld a small mounting tab on the mid-pipe for that very reason.
I'll mess with it today. Hopefully I can get enough wiggle room when I loosen up the header flanges

Mxhonda215 is offline  
post #16 of 31 Old 03-29-2015, 07:42 AM
Primus Pilus
 
BockHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Normal, IL
Posts: 3,432
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
For those of you who have used the GSXR 96-99 pipe, any chance you could tell me the measurement between the bolts on the flange? It seems like it's way the hell easier to find an OEM pipe from one of those for a reasonable price than a pipe from the 900RR. I just want to make sure it fits the 900RR header I'm using before making a purchase.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
BockHawk is offline  
post #17 of 31 Old 03-29-2015, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Mxhonda215's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minot
Posts: 37
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BockHawk View Post
For those of you who have used the GSXR 96-99 pipe, any chance you could tell me the measurement between the bolts on the flange? It seems like it's way the hell easier to find an OEM pipe from one of those for a reasonable price than a pipe from the 900RR. I just want to make sure it fits the 900RR header I'm using before making a purchase.
Unless you know something that I don't, the only part of the GSXR 750 exhaust that will fit is the muffler and that's only when you're using the 900rr headers

Mxhonda215 is offline  
post #18 of 31 Old 03-29-2015, 12:12 PM
Left of Centre
 
K1w1Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 3,401
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxhonda215 View Post
...the only part of the GSXR 750 exhaust that will fit is the muffler and that's only when you're using the 900rr headers
I think that's exactly what his last sentence says, if you read his use of pipe as meaning muffler:

"It seems like it's way the hell easier to find an OEM pipe from one of those for a reasonable price than a pipe from the 900RR. I just want to make sure it fits the 900RR header I'm using before making a purchase."

K1w1Boy is offline  
post #19 of 31 Old 03-29-2015, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Mxhonda215's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minot
Posts: 37
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post

I think that's exactly what his last sentence says, if you read his use of pipe as meaning muffler:

"It seems like it's way the hell easier to find an OEM pipe from one of those for a reasonable price than a pipe from the 900RR. I just want to make sure it fits the 900RR header I'm using before making a purchase."
Oops, my mistake

Mxhonda215 is offline  
post #20 of 31 Old 03-29-2015, 12:48 PM
Primus Pilus
 
BockHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Normal, IL
Posts: 3,432
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
KiwiBoy is dead on. I intend to confirm that the silencer/muffler/pipe will fit my 900RR header. I already have a Yosh pipe for the 900RR, but I want something quieter. In lieu of a 900RR pipe, I'd purchase one for a GSXR since they're more readily available.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
BockHawk is offline  
post #21 of 31 Old 03-29-2015, 01:46 PM
Left of Centre
 
K1w1Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 3,401
Rep Power: 1
 
I ended up with a partially severed RR header, so had to find something to mate up with it under the engine via a sleeve arrangement, and eventually got a stock GSXR exhaust to do the job. It tucks up under the footpeg quite well, and even the stock heatshield ended up in the right place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3081.jpg (271.2 KB, 38 views)

K1w1Boy is offline  
post #22 of 31 Old 03-29-2015, 03:10 PM
The Instigator
 
Ditch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,188
Rep Power: 1
 
^ Fook me that's cool! Any more install pics?

Ditch is offline  
post #23 of 31 Old 03-29-2015, 03:24 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)
 
andrewebay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,883
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
I ended up with a partially severed RR header, so had to find something to mate up with it under the engine via a sleeve arrangement, and eventually got a stock GSXR exhaust to do the job. It tucks up under the footpeg quite well, and even the stock heatshield ended up in the right place.
Nice! Wonder what the vfr12k muffler would look like...

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
andrewebay1 is offline  
post #24 of 31 Old 03-29-2015, 03:41 PM
Left of Centre
 
K1w1Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 3,401
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
^ Fook me that's cool! Any more install pics?
Yes I've got a few more pics - what did you want to see? The build process, or the finished product? When I was doing the orig low mount install, I was working with an R1 pipe - I never got to grips with its blunt-ended look, so that's when I went looking for something else and found the GSXR stocker. So the header install pics all have the R1 muffler - adding the GSXR part was just a matter of getting an interested muffler shop guy to weld me up the right OD/ID adaptor at the right angle and it was all done.

Orig build and later mods here:https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ons-47377.html

K1w1Boy is offline  
post #25 of 31 Old 03-30-2015, 09:58 AM
Primus Pilus
 
BockHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Normal, IL
Posts: 3,432
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
So...any takers on measuring the distance on those bolt holes for the GSXR muffler flange?

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
BockHawk is offline  
post #26 of 31 Old 03-30-2015, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Mxhonda215's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minot
Posts: 37
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BockHawk View Post
So...any takers on measuring the distance on those bolt holes for the GSXR muffler flange?
About 3" from the center of each hole

ForumRunner_20150330_151108.png

Mxhonda215 is offline  
post #27 of 31 Old 03-30-2015, 01:38 PM
Primus Pilus
 
BockHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Normal, IL
Posts: 3,432
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Beauty! Thanks Mxhonda!

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
BockHawk is offline  
post #28 of 31 Old 03-30-2015, 07:53 PM
Left of Centre
 
K1w1Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 3,401
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
^ Fook me that's cool! Any more install pics?
Hard to get a pic that shows how the final version sits relative to the pegs, wheel and swing arm - this one might give a better idea:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3152.jpg (280.9 KB, 22 views)

K1w1Boy is offline  
post #29 of 31 Old 03-31-2015, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Mxhonda215's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minot
Posts: 37
Rep Power: 1
 
Here it is. Two Brothers M2 black series mounted. I still need to figure out if I want to cut the muffler down or keep it stock length

ForumRunner_20150331_181304.jpg

Mxhonda215 is offline  
post #30 of 31 Old 03-31-2015, 04:28 PM
Tirone Choolaces
 
marylandmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 11,105
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxhonda215 View Post
Here it is. Two Brothers M2 black series mounted. I still need to figure out if I want to cut the muffler down or keep it stock length

Attachment 101610
Looks pretty nice! How does it sound?

marylandmike is offline  
post #31 of 31 Old 03-31-2015, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Mxhonda215's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minot
Posts: 37
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post

Looks pretty nice! How does it sound?
Pretty good aside from the sputtering caused by the pair valve (yeah, I still haven't removed them). I wouldn't mind in being a little louder, though

Mxhonda215 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome