1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pvster

post #1 of 39 Old 09-17-2012, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Custom LED Tail Light

Would anybody want to try a group by like these guys did? The light looks really awesome from what I've seen on this thread.

GROUP BUY: CUSTOM LED INTERGRATED TAIL LIGHT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 09-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Tirone

bought mine without a group buy and have gotten tons of compliments on it the strobe when braking is perfect

2002 Honda 919
954 front forks
LsL triple tree
pro taper bars
Sato rear sets
F4I Guages
Two Bros pipe
post #3 of 39 Old 09-17-2012, 01:14 PM
Tirone

Ok i want one

post #4 of 39 Old 09-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

FWIW, these same units fit the 599 as well (wiring is a bit different, but easy enough to figure out). I took the one I had from the 919 and put it on my wife's 599. Even the lens cover is the same.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #5 of 39 Old 09-18-2012, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase

Does anyone know where to get just the smoke colored lens?

'07 Hornet - Candy Glory Red
post #6 of 39 Old 09-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrow919 View Post
Does anyone know where to get just the smoke colored lens?
Good luck - I bought the last two I could find at a retailer (might find one used on eBay) and sold the other one to Andrewbay.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #7 of 39 Old 09-18-2012, 10:53 AM
i appear missing

I think it looks the best with no start-up sequence and no strobing (I'll pulse the brakes myself if need be). I also prefer the stock look with the red lense. I've gotten lots of compliments on how bright it is, and most people think its the stock tail-light.

post #8 of 39 Old 09-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

My personal safety opinion, but I would leave the strobe effect on braking.

When you panic brake, you are NOT thinking about pumping it for the guy behind you - best you can do is HOPE he saw you mash on the brakes. If you are quickly approaching a static or slowing target, the last thing you want to do in a panic brake (especially if rear tire is locked) is let go of the brake.

Believe me - the strobe gets your attention. I've ridden behind my bike as it was alongside another with stock setup and your eyes immediately move to the strobing brake light and you react (ie, brake) without thinking. I would want cagers to do the same thing, without thinking. Give them all the help they can get (as we know, most of them need it).

It's very effective.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #9 of 39 Old 09-18-2012, 12:51 PM
The Cripple

+1 to what g00gl3it said. Plus, you can change the number of strobes it does before turning solid which is an awesome feature.

post #10 of 39 Old 09-18-2012, 01:33 PM
i appear missing

My general experience with cagers and any kind of strobing lights leads me to believe that they'll get confused and fixated on the strobing, and are likely to cause more problems (for you and the people around) while they are confused/fixated.
So while I don't totally disagree with you guys, I'm still leaving the strobing off on mine.

post #11 of 39 Old 09-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

I'm definitely interested. Let us know if you get enough interest start talking turkey with them.

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #12 of 39 Old 09-19-2012, 10:12 AM
just send it.

Garage
Just as an FYI, our group buy price wasn't any lower than the price on Custom LED's web site. All the group buy did was express enough interest to make it feasible for Custom LED to make a tail light for the 919.

With that said. It's worth the investment 110%.

[This space for rent]
post #13 of 39 Old 09-19-2012, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the clarification.

'07 Hornet - Candy Glory Red
post #14 of 39 Old 09-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
Just as an FYI, our group buy price wasn't any lower than the price on Custom LED's web site. All the group buy did was express enough interest to make it feasible for Custom LED to make a tail light for the 919.

With that said. It's worth the investment 110%.
Ahh...cool, looks like it's still available on their site, so I guess there's not much point in doing a group buy...When I read the other thread, I thought you guys were able to get $25 off when you had 25 people making it $100 instead of $125 for the taillight?

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #15 of 39 Old 09-19-2012, 12:32 PM
just send it.

Garage
I actually had to go back and look at the receipt.

My 'Pre-order' price was $125.

Thinking back, there was some confusion about the group buy. Many of us who did the 'Pre-order' thought that we were getting a better deal since we put up money months ahead of time. Turns out that was not the case, so to try and make things right, Custom LED shipped everyone who pre-ordered couple extras at no charge (a programming switch and new flash relay if I recall correctly).

[This space for rent]
post #16 of 39 Old 09-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
My general experience with cagers and any kind of strobing lights leads me to believe that they'll get confused and fixated on the strobing, and are likely to cause more problems (for you and the people around) while they are confused/fixated.
So while I don't totally disagree with you guys, I'm still leaving the strobing off on mine.

I have seen some tail lights (mostly on harleys) that strobe/flash very slowly. That is when I would agree with you.The custom led one flashes so damn quick that you dont get the whole "ohh is he just pressing his brakes on and off?" no way, that thing strobes like 8 times in .5 seconds then goes to mega bright solid. The thing flashes so quick that my nikon coolpix camera could not pick up the strobes.

post #17 of 39 Old 09-19-2012, 12:58 PM
just send it.

Garage
^^ Agreed. I've got mine set to strobe like 6 or 7 times. It's just long enough to catch someones attention.

[This space for rent]
post #18 of 39 Old 09-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Cool, thanks for the info...

I don't know how many times this year I've said "OK, now THIS is the last thing that I'm buying for my motorcycle this year", but here's one more thing to likely make a liar out of me

- Stephen Hawking
post #19 of 39 Old 09-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I have a Clear alternatives led, not the custom led. After seeing boogunoogun's custom led, I dumped my CA and quickly went back to the stocker. I have also noticed on another bike that with Integrated, the signal functions were very hard to see. The custom led however was very very EASY to see.
+100 for custom led

Arte et Marte
post #20 of 39 Old 09-20-2012, 06:31 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

So, from the guys that have already installed the Custom LED, which of these things are needed? It lists all of these as "recommended" accessories, but I'm having trouble figuring out if any of them are "needed" to install:

Recommended accessories:
ELFR-1 Flasher Relay - The description of the LED board made it seem like the board itself already should work with stock flashers

OEM Blinker Connectors - I'm guessing this is just for convenience so you don't have to cut the stock lines...makes it more plug and play

Blaster-X Control Switch - Unlocks more features of the LED board?

- Stephen Hawking
post #21 of 39 Old 09-20-2012, 07:22 AM
just send it.

Garage
No. None of the options are 'needed'.

Quote:
ELFR-1 Flasher Relay - The description of the LED board made it seem like the board itself already should work with stock flashers
Without Relay, the blinkers will blink fast. But note, if you have front LED blinkers, you MAY need some sort of resistors... but don't quote me on that and hopefully someone else can chime in here.

Quote:
OEM Blinker Connectors - I'm guessing this is just for convenience so you don't have to cut the stock lines...makes it more plug and play
You nailed it. You don't need them but they do clean up the wiring.

Quote:
Again, not needed, but you can pick up any switch from Radio Shack. You need to be careful here. I've got one of these switches from Custom LED and have it wired into the Custom LED harness.

A few weeks back I attended a group ride with a bikini bike wash afterwards. After the bike wash, my SO said that my tail light was no longer working... it was on, but only showed some funny yellow color. No brake lights and no blinkers. After we stopped I realized that some water got under the seat and was actually shorting out the Blaster-X Control Switch. This means that every time I turned the bike on, the taillight went right into programming mode. I cleaned the water off the contacts on the Blaster-X switch and everything worked out fine (water was just on the two leads basically shorting out the switch).

[This space for rent]
post #22 of 39 Old 09-20-2012, 08:15 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
No. None of the options are 'needed'......
Cool, thx for the info

- Stephen Hawking
post #23 of 39 Old 09-20-2012, 08:45 AM
i appear missing

I've got the CustomLED tailight, Rizoma LED front blinkers, and the ELPH relay in place of the stock relay.
The flash rate is DOT standard.
Nothing more is needed.

I did this because I'm not a fan of the faster flashing.
Personally, I think it looks dumb (like you're driving around with a bulb out). But that's just me.
Do whatever makes YOU happy

post #24 of 39 Old 09-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I've got the CustomLED tailight, Rizoma LED front blinkers, and the ELPH relay in place of the stock relay.
The flash rate is DOT standard.
Nothing more is needed.

I did this because I'm not a fan of the faster flashing.
Personally, I think it looks dumb (like you're driving around with a bulb out). But that's just me.
Do whatever makes YOU happy
Fast blinkers do not make me happy

I still have stockers for blinkers, and hate them, but have not hated them enough to spend cash on new ones. But now that I have an LED headlight, and am struggling NOT to buy the LED tail, LED signals aren't far behind, so I'll probably pick up a relay as well.

Which Rizomas do you have? I've eyeballed the Zero 11 for years, but looked at some pics of them on a bike, and am not sure I love them so much anymore. The Track 77 or Action are a bit better looking IMO.

- Stephen Hawking
post #25 of 39 Old 09-20-2012, 10:16 AM
just send it.

Garage
A cheap way to make the front blinkers look 100% better and not cost you anything is remove the 2 inch rubber spacer thing. It shortens the blinkers up quite a bit and they look much nicer.

It's just a couple screws to pull the entire blinker stock apart and you should be able to figure out how to reattach the blinker to the bike minus the rubber part. It takes some creative thinking and some patience, but it looks nice.

Hard to see a difference in the pictures below... looks much nicer in person.

Old:

New:

[This space for rent]
post #26 of 39 Old 09-20-2012, 10:23 AM
i appear missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmelnick View Post
Which Rizomas do you have? I've eyeballed the Zero 11 for years, but looked at some pics of them on a bike, and am not sure I love them so much anymore. The Track 77 or Action are a bit better looking IMO.
HAHA, the Zero11s are what I got on mine, I love 'em!
They're BRIGHT and don't get washed out by the PIAA bulb I got in there.

post #27 of 39 Old 09-20-2012, 10:25 AM
The Cripple

Wa....... ah never mind!

post #28 of 39 Old 09-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
HAHA, the Zero11s are what I got on mine, I love 'em!
They're BRIGHT and don't get washed out by the PIAA bulb I got in there.

Dammit! More indecision. They look pretty good on the niner. The bike I saw them on was more sports bike, and they looked too big and squarish. On the niner they look properly sized and the squarish edges don't look out of place. Hey, at least they're cheaper than the others I listed, so I'd save some coin.

Thanks for the pics!

- Stephen Hawking
post #29 of 39 Old 09-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Wa....... ah never mind!
TSENS!!!!!!!!!!!

Careful with the Zero 11's, I had 3 of them crack on me.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #30 of 39 Old 09-20-2012, 10:46 AM
i appear missing

No problem man! glad I could be of service. and yeah, the Zero11s definitely look great on a 919! (trust me )

post #31 of 39 Old 09-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
No. None of the options are 'needed'.

Without Relay, the blinkers will blink fast. But note, if you have front LED blinkers, you MAY need some sort of resistors... but don't quote me on that and hopefully someone else can chime in here.

You nailed it. You don't need them but they do clean up the wiring.

Again, not needed, but you can pick up any switch from Radio Shack. You need to be careful here. I've got one of these switches from Custom LED and have it wired into the Custom LED harness.

A few weeks back I attended a group ride with a bikini bike wash afterwards. After the bike wash, my SO said that my tail light was no longer working... it was on, but only showed some funny yellow color. No brake lights and no blinkers. After we stopped I realized that some water got under the seat and was actually shorting out the Blaster-X Control Switch. This means that every time I turned the bike on, the taillight went right into programming mode. I cleaned the water off the contacts on the Blaster-X switch and everything worked out fine (water was just on the two leads basically shorting out the switch).

I put a insulated female disconnect on that grey programming wire. that way I can attach the control switch when I want to change anything (which is never) and leave it be when the switch is not needed.

And the zero 11's are awesome. get some of those, this tail light and the flasher relay. the relay is plug and play

post #32 of 39 Old 10-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Tirone

I just picked up a set of rizoma action turn signals for the front and zero 11's for the back. Do I need two of the custom LED flash relays? Also, does anyone know where I can pick up a set of the OEM connectors so that I do not have to do any splicing? I found an old link to fly n cycle in the forums, but nothing of that sort came up at their website. I am terrible at all things electrically related. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post #33 of 39 Old 10-09-2012, 09:08 PM
TEXAN

Only one relay is needed - it controls all of the flashers. Don't know about the OEM connectors, though (I cut the connectors off of the stock signals).

post #34 of 39 Old 10-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Just cut and splice/solder the connectors. Stockers aren't worth much anyway, and anybody with a solder gun can put them back on (or a crimp kit). It takes all of 10 minutes.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #35 of 39 Old 12-17-2017, 08:37 PM
Discen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmelnick View Post
So, from the guys that have already installed the Custom LED, which of these things are needed? It lists all of these as "recommended" accessories, but I'm having trouble figuring out if any of them are "needed" to install:

Recommended accessories:

Reviving an old thread because I just picked one of these up. I had gone through this thread before the purchase and based on the above, did not get any of the options. But looking at the instructions I received, it looks like I will need the Control Switch if I want to use the stock red lens. It indicates that the stock setting is for clean lenses, and if you want to re-use your OEM red lens you'll need to program the blinkers to blink only with red LED's. So... that sucks. They should probably have either
a. included the switch and just tack on the $5 to the price
b. include a clear lens and add on the appropriate cost
c. at the very least make the wording very clear that the switch is necessary for the LED to function properly with the OEM lens, which I suspect the majority of users intend to do.
d. Or duh - just set the damn default setting to work with the OEM red lens, which both the 919 and 599 appear to use.

Here's the current language on the product page:
"Recommended accessories: ELFR-1 Flasher Relay & OEM Blinker Connectors & Blaster-X Control Switch."

And here's the emphasized language on the Control Switch page:
"This switch is not necessary for standard integrated tail light operation."

Looks like I'm gonna be paying another $5 plus probably as much for shipping... grrrrr.

Al
post #36 of 39 Old 12-18-2017, 06:31 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahung12 View Post
Reviving an old thread because I just picked one of these up. I had gone through this thread before the purchase and based on the above, did not get any of the options. But looking at the instructions I received, it looks like I will need the Control Switch if I want to use the stock red lens. It indicates that the stock setting is for clean lenses, and if you want to re-use your OEM red lens you'll need to program the blinkers to blink only with red LED's. So... that sucks. They should probably have either
a. included the switch and just tack on the $5 to the price
b. include a clear lens and add on the appropriate cost
c. at the very least make the wording very clear that the switch is necessary for the LED to function properly with the OEM lens, which I suspect the majority of users intend to do.
d. Or duh - just set the damn default setting to work with the OEM red lens, which both the 919 and 599 appear to use.

Here's the current language on the product page:
"Recommended accessories: ELFR-1 Flasher Relay & OEM Blinker Connectors & Blaster-X Control Switch."

And here's the emphasized language on the Control Switch page:
"This switch is not necessary for standard integrated tail light operation."

Looks like I'm gonna be paying another $5 plus probably as much for shipping... grrrrr.
Not really sure what you're talking about here, but I'm using the custom LED tailight in a red lens with no changes. The yellow LED's shine through just fine.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #37 of 39 Old 12-18-2017, 06:43 AM
Discen

Garage
Here's what it says in the installation instructions:

RED LENS OR CLEAR LENS
THIS TAIL LIGHT HAS BEEN CAREFULLY DESIGNED TO FUNCTION WITH EITHER A CLEAR LENS, USING RED AND AMBER LEDS, OR
WITH A RED TINTED LENS USING ONLY RED LEDS. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU CONFIGURE THE CIRCUIT BOARD THROUGH
THE PROGRAMMING INTERFACE ACCORDINGLY. USING THE RED/AMBER SETTING BEHIND A RED TINTED LENS WILL PERFORM
HORRIBLY. THE DEFAULT SETTING IS FOR A CLEAR LENS. IF YOU HAVE THE STOCK RED LENS, YOU MUST CHANGE THE SETTING
AS PER THE PROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS.

Do you maybe have photos that you can share showing the blinkers on with the stock lens?

Al
post #38 of 39 Old 12-18-2017, 11:39 AM
Discen

Garage
Looks like I'm going ahead with picking up the Control Switch as well as the Blinker Relay since I'll be running LEDs in the front as well, so this all just seems safer. Jon from Custom LED did provide some alternative solutions and suggestions, and has overall very helpful.

Al
post #39 of 39 Old 12-18-2017, 09:21 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahung12 View Post
Looks like I'm going ahead with picking up the Control Switch as well as the Blinker Relay since I'll be running LEDs in the front as well, so this all just seems safer. Jon from Custom LED did provide some alternative solutions and suggestions, and has overall very helpful.
Yeah, you don't need the switch. Just ground the gray wire each time, which is basically what the switch does anyways. Did it for a long time before I added a switch.
badmoon692008 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode