Custom LED Rear Taillight (Need Clear Lens?) - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 01-17-2018, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Custom LED Rear Taillight (Need Clear Lens?)

I've looked through the "Custom LED" threads and couldn't find a clear answer on this.

I'm ordering some more parts for the 919 this winter so I can't install them once it's not 15 degrees outside, and this is on the top of the list. I did find one post from a member saying the amber turn signals came through the red lens, but I talked to Joe (?) from Custom LED today and he's telling me it doesn't shine through. And to combat this, I must buy the Blaster-X switch to change the turn signals to red so they shine brighter.

To me, I wouldn't feel safe riding with red blinkers.....

To anyone that has this, do the amber LED's shine through the red lens or should I look for a clear lens?

Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-17-2018, 03:06 PM
Optio

Garage
I bought a clear lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #3 of 13 Old 01-17-2018, 04:07 PM
Discen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muski_919 View Post
I've looked through the "Custom LED" threads and couldn't find a clear answer on this.

I'm ordering some more parts for the 919 this winter so I can't install them once it's not 15 degrees outside, and this is on the top of the list. I did find one post from a member saying the amber turn signals came through the red lens, but I talked to Joe (?) from Custom LED today and he's telling me it doesn't shine through. And to combat this, I must buy the Blaster-X switch to change the turn signals to red so they shine brighter.

To me, I wouldn't feel safe riding with red blinkers.....

To anyone that has this, do the amber LED's shine through the red lens or should I look for a clear lens?

Thanks in advance,
I just installed my CustomLED a few weeks and went through the same thing, using the stock red lens.
1. The default settings on the CustomLED uses amber for the turn signals. It shows up fine actually, despite the instructions indicating that it would work "horribly". Here's how it looks:
2. John from CustomLED was super helpful though, and I ended up grabbing a BlasterX Control Switch as well as the Blinker thing.
3. The red blinkers work much better than the ambers IMO, but its not critical.

I didn't find a suitable place to install the blaster-x toggle switch, so I just routed the wires and placed the switch in such a way that when not in use it's not in the way. If you are planning on drilling a mounting hole somewhere, make sure you follow the instructions very carefully (nut - washer - mounting surface - washer - nut).

Al

post #4 of 13 Old 01-18-2018, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsitarski View Post
I bought a clear lens.
Do you remember where you purchased yours? Can't find any outside of eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Taillight-T...FZOuy0&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tail-Turn-S...4383.l4275.c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahung12 View Post
I just installed my CustomLED a few weeks and went through the same thing, using the stock red lens.
1. The default settings on the CustomLED uses amber for the turn signals. It shows up fine actually, despite the instructions indicating that it would work "horribly". Here's how it looks:
2. John from CustomLED was super helpful though, and I ended up grabbing a BlasterX Control Switch as well as the Blinker thing.
3. The red blinkers work much better than the ambers IMO, but its not critical.
Awesome video! It really looks like it's not that big of an issue shining through. I was going to get everything BUT the control switch. I really don't need to change settings to different blink patterns, strobes, etc. I know it's only $5, but I feel like I'll never use it once it's hidden away.

As long as the amber shines through, I'm ok with keeping the stock lens. I guess if I don't like it after install I'll order a $40 clear lens.

Appreciate the help!

post #5 of 13 Old 01-18-2018, 06:58 AM
Discen

Garage
One very small thing to note is that the board's default setting also causes the brake light to strobe a few times (as you can see in the video), and there's an option to set it to stay on like stock. Not sure if that's a factor in your decision.

Al
post #6 of 13 Old 01-18-2018, 07:09 AM
Moto-Doc

Garage
My clear lens was 15 bucks on ebay. From China think but said honda DOT on the lens. I also lined the housing with spray adhesive and foil so it reflected better. From my instructions it tells me you can swap to the clear LED function via the gray program wire. It involves grounding that wire in a series of blips to program the light.

Hope this helps. It is stupid bright with the clear lens and the amber signals really make a statement.

2006 Honda 919 TURBO
2005 Honda 919
2014 Honda CB1000R
2005 Ducati Monster S4R
2000 Honda 750 Nighthawk -Sold
1997 Suzuki DS350SE -Sold
2002 Honda 750 Shadow ACE -Sold
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R -Sold
2003 Honda CBR954RR (Drag Bike) -Sold
2002 Honda CBR954RR -Sold
1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk -Sold
1972 Honda CB350 -Sold
post #7 of 13 Old 01-18-2018, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahung12 View Post
One very small thing to note is that the board's default setting also causes the brake light to strobe a few times (as you can see in the video), and there's an option to set it to stay on like stock. Not sure if that's a factor in your decision.
I did read that. I would honestly prefer a couple flashes before going solid - get more attention, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealio919 View Post
My clear lens was 15 bucks on ebay. From China think but said honda DOT on the lens. I also lined the housing with spray adhesive and foil so it reflected better. From my instructions it tells me you can swap to the clear LED function via the gray program wire. It involves grounding that wire in a series of blips to program the light.

Hope this helps. It is stupid bright with the clear lens and the amber signals really make a statement.
Would you happen to have the seller still in your eBay history? If I need to switch the light so it works better with a clear lens, do I need that switch then?

Maybe I'll just get the switch....5 bucks. If I don't use it, whatever.

post #8 of 13 Old 01-18-2018, 09:54 AM
Moto-Doc

Garage
Not sure how to make a link but they are still there. seller is: yoyodynesales

Just search:
"Honda 919 Hornet 900 CB600F CB900F CLEAR Lens tail light replaces 33702-MCZ-671"

Ships from Morristown, New Jersey. This the exact one I got and it is perfectly clear and DOT approved.

2006 Honda 919 TURBO
2005 Honda 919
2014 Honda CB1000R
2005 Ducati Monster S4R
1972 Honda CB350 -Sold
post #9 of 13 Old 01-18-2018, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Not sure how to make a link but they are still there. seller is: yoyodynesales

Just search:
"Honda 919 Hornet 900 CB600F CB900F CLEAR Lens tail light replaces 33702-MCZ-671"

Ships from Morristown, New Jersey. This the exact one I got and it is perfectly clear and DOT approved.
I saw that one but the picture makes the plastic look a bit dirty so wasn't sure how clear or "nice" looking it'd be. Definitely a cheap option and I'll keep it in the back of my pocket. Thanks.

I'm going to go ahead and buy the switch - price of a kids meal, might as well.

Appreciate all the input! Next up, possible repaint to Nardo Grey.....

post #10 of 13 Old 01-18-2018, 11:27 AM
Moto-Doc

Garage
Its perfectly clear. Also keep in mind that the red lens makes the blinker lights look red as well. Therefore less effective when on the brakes and making a signal to turn. This is why its is recommended to run the clear lens and they are shipped programmed to run the clear lens. Its way brighter this way. In my opinion- it defeats the purpose of a high quality LED assembly if you chose the "less effective" result.

2006 Honda 919 TURBO
2005 Honda 919
2014 Honda CB1000R
2005 Ducati Monster S4R
1972 Honda CB350 -Sold
post #11 of 13 Old 01-18-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Its perfectly clear. Also keep in mind that the red lens makes the blinker lights look red as well. Therefore less effective when on the brakes and making a signal to turn. This is why its is recommended to run the clear lens and they are shipped programmed to run the clear lens. Its way brighter this way. In my opinion- it defeats the purpose of a high quality LED assembly if you chose the "less effective" result.
Great, just put my order in for Custom LED and will order the clear lens as well.

Completely agree, might as well get it right if you're going to do it in the first place.

Thanks,

post #12 of 13 Old 06-05-2018, 08:31 AM
Pesky Canadian

Thanks for this thread and others that recommend the CustomLED solution for an LED brake light. The demo video by ahung12 is very helpful.

It does seem to be very bright and great for better visability.

I already have LED signals (installed by the PO), so I only intend on using the brake light option. And I think I will look at ordering a clear tail light lens too.

post #13 of 13 Old 06-06-2018, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammer View Post
Thanks for this thread and others that recommend the CustomLED solution for an LED brake light. The demo video by ahung12 is very helpful.

It does seem to be very bright and great for better visability.

I already have LED signals (installed by the PO), so I only intend on using the brake light option. And I think I will look at ordering a clear tail light lens too.
Glad this helped you out! It really cleans up the rear of the bike and the brightness never hurts, as well as the pulsating brake light before going solid red.

Do you now what front LED lights do you have?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode