Crash bars... Givi vs SW Motech - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 35 Old 09-29-2012, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Nineophile Retired

Crash bars... Givi vs SW Motech

Been debating between sliders or crash bars for a while now, and I think I am going to go the crash bar route. The only two makers I have found are Givi and SW Motech. I am leaning towards the Givi's, since they seem a little less conspicuous. But I notice that they both use the engine mount tab, that has broken when used as a mounting point with sliders. As you can see in the picture, the Givi uses a triangular plate that attaches to both the frame, and the engine tab.

Thoughts???

Anyone had either of these bars in a laydown situation???

Givi....

SW Motech....

Putting the fun in dysfunctional for over 40 years!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 09-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I would think the givi would be safer for the engine mounts. That triangle would force the load to be shared over the frame and the engine. The frame would have to bend before engine tabs have to take the force. However, the stator and clutch covers are better protected with the sw-motech.
The engine itself being more costly that the 2 side covers.... Givi has my vote. Looks are secondary.....givi too.
Price difference?

Arte et Marte
post #3 of 35 Old 09-29-2012, 03:12 PM
The Cripple

Givi has my vote hands down. I crash tested them sadly. Right side made a broadside full on impact with an f150 and only showed minimal scratches. Left side made contact with the ground with force at speed, was dragged a few feet by the f150 as well. They held up and there were no marks on the engine, clutch cover, etc. Other areas of impact to be expected are the handle bar ends, widest portion of gas tank (nature of the design sadly), and tail cowl.

That said, I sold the totaled 919 along with crash bars to another member in another state on here who ironically sold the crash bars to a member that is close to me. Last I heard, he had the ground down portion weld filled and is rocking them to this day.

post #4 of 35 Old 09-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

The givi bars have been discontinued as of last year. I was lucky and got one of the last two sets over at twistedthrottle. So if you want the givis, order them soon.

I haven't crash tested the givi bars on my 919 but I like them so far. They'll do a better job of protecting the engine compared to motovation sliders. The only downside is that these bars vibrate quite a bit and I hear a loud metallic buzzing at about 5500 RPM. There's a metal joint that connects right behind the header pipes where the vibration is coming from. Putting silicone in there helps, but it's not enough to stop the noise completely.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #5 of 35 Old 09-29-2012, 03:29 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
There's a metal joint that connects right behind the header pipes where the vibration is coming from. Putting silicone in there helps, but it's not enough to stop the noise completely.
That's the one annoyance I forgot to mention, thanks for mentioning it Sckill. I've tried tightening the bars to fix that issue, with zero luck. Is the only solution is to silicone it in place or something? While I can't hear it (my wife can and it drives her crazy), I can feel the vibrations and it's annoying as hell. I want it to stop.

post #6 of 35 Old 09-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

Agreed on the annoying part. I have actually adjusted my riding to either stay above or below 5000-5500 RPM so I don't get the buzzing. I've been considering taking the bars off and reapplying more silicone to get the buzzing to stop. The buzzing used to be at 6K RPM, but it dropped down so I don't know if that means something loosened or if the silicone came off.

Did some research just now and you could also try putting some spacers on the bolt that secures the front joint. Seems to have worked for people on the 599 forum.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #7 of 35 Old 09-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
The Givis are now discontinued, and if you have problems with the welds on them, as some here have had, Givi can't help you fix them or give you a replacement set.

I did crash test mine and they did hold up just fine, but I am considering stripping them off and going with the SW Motechs or maybe some of the Euro-market sets from over there.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #8 of 35 Old 09-30-2012, 12:55 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

RadicalWilly, if you want a set of the Givi's, there is a seller on ebay who still has some. If you have a hard time finding him, let me know...they were good to work with.

Ive also crash-tested the Givi bars. yes they attach to the front motor mount, but they will not put any sort of torque on them, which is what causes the sliders to break the mounts off. They work really well and provide a lot of protection...well worth the money!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #9 of 35 Old 09-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Hippie Tinkerer

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I have a pair of the Givi Bars for sale if you'd like to try them out for cheaper. My bike laid down last year and slid with these on, and they totally protected my bike, was able to ride it home. The ones I have for sale I'd sell for cheap because they are scuffed from the slide on one side, but they are not bent, and could easily be weld filled and look perfect afterwards.... Lemme know if ya wanna give them a try....

Pics: https://www.wristtwisters.com/album.php?albumid=176

Build List in Spoiler
Spoiler:

SOLD SOLD SOLD

When Sold:
2004 Honda 919 Silver and Black w/red accents
599 Headlight
Koso Gauges DB-02r
GiPro gear indicator
Buell M2 shield - plasti dip black
Givi Crash bars
Dynojet PCIII, Custom Akrapovic map
Akrapovic GSXR 750 Exhaust, Shorty Carbon fiber Low mount
Custom weld job on OEM header, to enable use of center stand and GSXR exhaust
VFR front fender, re-shaped and CF wrapped
Seargent seat w/ gel insert
Custom LED Rear lights w/ Vizi-tech flasher
Competition Works Fender Eliminator, modified
Front 3-way LED Turn Signals flushmount via cbr1000r
6-Spoke wheel conversion ( 900rr-rear / F3-front ) Powdercoated white, Plasti-dipped black
Michelin Pilot Road 3 - New @ 19940 8/10/11 190/55r17 rear
Dyna Beads for tire balancing
17t / 44t Sprockets, 520 conversion from LDH
New All-balls bearings thru-out 6/2012
Piaa horns 400 & 500 hertz
Ohlins rear shock from an F3, Re-Valved/Sprung- By Pro Pilot Suspension
F4i Forks, custom sprung/sealed/valved, Plasti-dipped Black
ASV shorty clutch and front brake levers - Black W/Red Adj.
Tech-Spec custom tank Pads
Napoleon bar end mirrors
SW-Motech center stand
Custom Handle Bars with Grip Heaters and OEM hidden switch, Hi/Lo heat
FuzeBlocks FZ-1 Power Distribution
Shorai Battery
F2P garage door opener wired to brake switch
Hydraulic rear brake switch
RC51 front brakes SP1, with 10 button rotors
Buell Ulysses Dropped Foot Peg conversion
Powdercoated: 22+ parts
etc, etc,
post #10 of 35 Old 09-30-2012, 11:09 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
RadicalWilly, if you want a set of the Givi's, there is a seller on ebay who still has some. If you have a hard time finding him, let me know...they were good to work with.

Ive also crash-tested the Givi bars. yes they attach to the front motor mount, but they will not put any sort of torque on them, which is what causes the sliders to break the mounts off. They work really well and provide a lot of protection...well worth the money!

What price was this guy selling them for? I may be interested too.

Arte et Marte
post #11 of 35 Old 09-30-2012, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Nineophile Retired

Thanks all for the great comments, wealth of info here. Competition accessories has the Givi's for $145 shipped... just ordered a pair. Are we sure they are no longer being made, Givi still shows them on there home page... Cases, Side Hardbags, Soft Luggages, Screens, Spoilers HONDA CB 919

Putting the fun in dysfunctional for over 40 years!
post #12 of 35 Old 10-01-2012, 01:58 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 9

I was told they were being discontinued by Givi earlier this year.

post #13 of 35 Old 01-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Tirone

So, no one votes for the SW-Motech? They look to me to provide more coverage than the Givis. No?

post #14 of 35 Old 01-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelwatcher View Post
So, no one votes for the SW-Motech? They look to me to provide more coverage than the Givis. No?
They make quality stuff. My brother has them on the Fz8. My buddy has them on his Vstrom. I also have the sport rack for the 9er. Very stout. Most people like the Motovation frame sliders for the 9er. They mount through the frame. Not the engine.

post #15 of 35 Old 01-08-2014, 02:50 PM
Princeps Prior

Less vibes with sliders also.

post #16 of 35 Old 01-08-2014, 08:46 PM
Tirone

FRAME SLIDERS: NO! i would strongly suggest the engine guard. i once had frame sliders on my bike when i went down and it did nothing to protect my bike. the frame slider side that i went down on had completely been shaved off by the concrete and my stater cover had a crack in it. ENGINE GUARD GIVI : after i got my bike fixed from the first accident i went ahead and bout the GIVI engine guard, well a moth after my first accident i got into another one but i had the GIVI on and that saved my bike but a year later i found a crack in one of the welds and that is when i got the SW-MOTECH ENGINE GUARD and never had a problem since and i even bought another that i am willing to sell you for $100

post #17 of 35 Old 01-09-2014, 03:01 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabianG View Post
FRAME SLIDERS: NO! i would strongly suggest the engine guard. i once had frame sliders on my bike when i went down and it did nothing to protect my bike. the frame slider side that i went down on had completely been shaved off by the concrete and my stater cover had a crack in it. ENGINE GUARD GIVI : after i got my bike fixed from the first accident i went ahead and bout the GIVI engine guard, well a moth after my first accident i got into another one but i had the GIVI on and that saved my bike but a year later i found a crack in one of the welds and that is when i got the SW-MOTECH ENGINE GUARD and never had a problem since and i even bought another that i am willing to sell you for $100
So you had Motovation sliders?

post #18 of 35 Old 01-09-2014, 03:18 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
So you had Motovation sliders?
ya that was what i had, and when i put them on i thought my bike would be invincible. shortly did i realize on my fist accident on my honda 919 the Motovation sliders did not hold up as expected; is was as if they had just melted right off the bike; from that moment on i became an engine guard fan

post #19 of 35 Old 01-09-2014, 01:27 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabianG View Post
ya that was what i had, and when i put them on i thought my bike would be invincible. shortly did i realize on my fist accident on my honda 919 the Motovation sliders did not hold up as expected; is was as if they had just melted right off the bike; from that moment on i became an engine guard fan
So what you are saying is the engine sliders did exactly what they were supposed to do, slide, wear away, and in essence destroy themselves to save further damage to your bike, and you're complaining?

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #20 of 35 Old 01-09-2014, 08:50 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
So what you are saying is the engine sliders did exactly what they were supposed to do, slide, wear away, and in essence destroy themselves to save further damage to your bike, and you're complaining?
dude i have seen your youtube videos lol and we have talked about the same thing what a weird coincidence

post #21 of 35 Old 01-10-2014, 04:17 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

post #22 of 35 Old 01-13-2014, 06:40 AM
Tesserarius

What's up with the popcorn lately?

post #23 of 35 Old 01-13-2014, 07:59 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todi View Post
What's up with the popcorn lately?
Favorite food of the winter motorcyclist.

post #24 of 35 Old 01-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Favorite food of the winter motorcyclist.
LOL, I just got a 40bag Costco box...

post #25 of 35 Old 03-16-2014, 03:13 PM
Chicken Strips

Garage
Too bad 905 doesn't make street crash bars for the 919 they would look and work good

07' 919 - In Progress

Dan
post #26 of 35 Old 05-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Tirone

Has anyone recently installed the SWMotech centre stand?

My @$$ is getting thoroughly kicked by the pair of springs...

Here is where I am with the bloody things.

ForumRunner_20140515_212043.png

Edit : Oops, wasn't paying attention. I thought this was the stand thread. I'm sure I'll tant about the crash bars when I get to them...

post #27 of 35 Old 05-15-2014, 05:48 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreadd View Post
Has anyone recently installed the SWMotech centre stand? My @$$ is getting thoroughly kicked by the pair of springs... Here is where I am with the bloody things. Edit : Oops, wasn't paying attention. I thought this was the stand thread. I'm sure I'll tant about the crash bars when I get to them...
I tied a rope around both of them, and tied it around my waist. Put the bike in gear, and walked/crawled backwards while my girlfriend made sure the bike didn't tip over. When I had it pulled far enough she slipped it on... Others have done similar things but tied the rope to a truck or car.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #28 of 35 Old 05-15-2014, 06:18 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 9

Bend the springs back & forth and install coins or washers between the coils, put it on and remove the coins/washers.

post #29 of 35 Old 05-15-2014, 10:22 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

The coins is easiest, but you can also sit behind the rear tire, hook a rope to the spring, then use the tire as leverage (like a pulley) to pull back on the spring, as well as help to hold the tension in place while you hook the end of the spring.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #30 of 35 Old 05-16-2014, 04:53 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
The coins is easiest, but you can also sit behind the rear tire, hook a rope to the spring, then use the tire as leverage (like a pulley) to pull back on the spring, as well as help to hold the tension in place while you hook the end of the spring.

I'd managed to get the big spring extended and in place using a combination of coins (washers in my case) and a lever.

But!
I tried the string method this morning, and well :

ForumRunner_20140516_085235.png

Thanks, all!

post #31 of 35 Old 05-16-2014, 01:33 PM
GLG-20

Garage
Swmotech springs must be tougher than the Honda center stand springs. I was able to connect mine with pliers.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #32 of 35 Old 10-05-2015, 08:46 AM
Tirone

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelwatcher View Post
I know this is an older thread, but I had to pitch in my 2 cents. I had the SW Motech bars on my old 919 when I laid it down going 45MPH or so and they totally saved the bike. Not a scratch on the engine or frame. I was very glad to have had them. I would definitely buy again.

post #33 of 35 Old 08-22-2018, 02:15 PM
Tirone

Garage
Quick update on my old comment... I ended up buying another '07 919 and bought the same SW-Motech crash bars for it. Very easy install, great protection, would definitely recommend to anybody.

post #34 of 35 Old 08-22-2018, 02:23 PM
Milites Gregarius

I just put a set of givi crash bars on my '03 919. Very easy to put on also. Hopefully I never find out how well they protect the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg line_1534819464844_1534972940554.jpg (58.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg line_1534819441902_1534972969503.jpg (53.4 KB, 11 views)

post #35 of 35 Old 08-24-2018, 11:28 AM
919 Rider

I've got a set of Heed crash bars on mine. They look identical to the Givi, a copy perhaps. I'm pretty happy with them. Haven't "tried" them out yet, hope I never have too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180128_185100-1-1_1535135080558.jpg (117.1 KB, 5 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode