Clutch master and drag bars... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 02-13-2012, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Clutch master and drag bars...

I'm not sure what to do here. I got my new drag bar, I'm diggin it. I got it at a good comfy angle, but ran into a slight hic-up. The brake master doesn't sit level and the brake line was hitting the fork tube.

I popped off the little tab that blocks the brake line from rotating on the banjo bolt, flipped the eye around for an outward angle on the metal neck of the line and rotated it up to get the fork tube clearence needed and re-bled the brakes. That let me put the brake handle in a humanly reachable position, but still not as down facing as I like it because the banjo bolt is pretty much touching the preload adjuster preventing me from moving it down any.

Anyone go to a 900RR master with the remote fluid res? Before I buy one, I want to make sure it's going to give me the clearence on the banjo bolt cause I want to go to steel braided lines for better brake feel. I shouldn't have a problem doing it now, but it's still be locked in the position I'm in.

Any insight would be great!

Thanks!
-Jonny

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Pretty sure a 900rr master cylinder will have a different piston size which will affect the pressure on the lines and the forces on your stock calipers.

Other folks more knowledgeable than myself will chime in, but you usually want to keep things similar so braking isn't affected or at least is 'upgraded' at the same time. F3 front wheel and RC51 calipers might be a better choice with a larger MC piston diameter. But don't quote me on that, do some research.

And you must really like your levers low? I've never run into a problem, but I like mine mostly straight out (parallel to ground, or about 5-10 degrees downward angle is all).

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 20 Old 02-13-2012, 12:16 PM
The Cripple

hey jonny, dont worry about going to the 900rr master. just put steel braided lines on there and that'll allow you to rotate the banjo to the angle you need to make your current master where you want it.

post #4 of 20 Old 02-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Le So Cal Troll

pics? having a hard time trying to picture whats goin on.

post #5 of 20 Old 02-13-2012, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Maybe this will help. Take a look at the pic all the way at the bottom by Jesse V...his banjo bolt looks like it almost contacts the preload adjuster. That's the same thing going on with mine: Adjusting Forks to be Recessed in top triple. Is this going to be a problem? - ADVrider

You can see from that pic, he can rotate the brake leaver up, but not any further down. That's also the 900rr style of master...judging from that pic, I don't think it would solve my issue...

I'll have to do some more head scratching. I guess if I hate the bars, I can just go to something with a rise to it...

-Jonny

post #6 of 20 Old 02-13-2012, 01:02 PM
The Cripple

ok now i understand what's going on. did you have to cut your bars? maybe you cut them too narrow? you can try to go with wider bars or use risers to give you a bit more clearance.

post #7 of 20 Old 02-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Le So Cal Troll

ahh ok gotcha... ya thats gonna be a tough one, only thing i could think of would be a smaller radial master cylinder with remote... but then like stated you get into the problems of having to deal with different piston sizes and the effect they have.

post #8 of 20 Old 02-13-2012, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

No, I didn't cut the bars. They're 28in total length, so I actually have a better picture in my mirrors now, but I could always play with finding longer ones if the position bothers me. I'll reserve judgement for after I take it for a spin. It's been pretty cold and I have some touch ups to do on the new cowling...cold weather and I got a little greedy with the duplicolor! Wet sanding nightmare!
I'll change my Avitar once I get it done...

-Jonny

post #9 of 20 Old 02-13-2012, 01:54 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
No, I didn't cut the bars. They're 28in total length
therein lies your problem, the stock bars are only 26 1/2 inches wide or so and they have a rise. you're running drag bars which have no rise and therefore you have no clearance for your master cyl. your best bet is to either go wider on the bars, get some risers to raise the bar, or get new bars that are similar to drag bars but have some rise such as the renthal ultra lows.

post #10 of 20 Old 02-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Optio

Giving up on those bars and getting something slightly different would be less money and hassle. Just my 2c

post #11 of 20 Old 02-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
therein lies your problem, the stock bars are only 26 1/2 inches wide or so and they have a rise. you're running drag bars which have no rise and therefore you have no clearance for your master cyl. your best bet is to either go wider on the bars, get some risers to raise the bar, or get new bars that are similar to drag bars but have some rise such as the renthal ultra lows.
Ding Ding Ding, we have a Weiner!

+1, though, he's right. You need more rise in the bars. Are you using the mirror mount on the m/c or a separate clamp on one? I have a GSXR m/c on my 919 so I have to use a stand-alone mirror mount and it does crowd things up on the right side of the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay313 View Post
Giving up on those bars and getting something slightly different would be less money and hassle. Just my 2c
+1 again.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #12 of 20 Old 02-14-2012, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I agree...I'm gonna look around for something with a bit of a rise to it. Superbike or lowrise. Oh well...it's cheaper than modifying my Mustang was!

-Jonny

post #13 of 20 Old 02-14-2012, 08:00 AM
The Cripple

jonny, look into some rental bars, very popular and people dont seem to have an issue with them.

post #14 of 20 Old 02-14-2012, 08:11 AM
TEXAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
jonny, look into some rental bars, very popular and people dont seem to have an issue with them.
Now there's an idea - monthly payments on handlebars.

post #15 of 20 Old 02-14-2012, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

How much are they monthly? I'd rather just save up and buy them! ;o)
I was looking at the Renthals, but they made me convert MM to Inches and that just won't do! They also have more rise and pull back than I want. I'm thinking the GSG Low Rise: Handle Bars. Wild Hair Accessories. Motorcycle Accessories & Aftermarket European Parts.
They are a bit longer than I want, but I can take the ends off...no big.

I'm going to slide down my grips on the drag bar to get the angle I want, so who knows...I may end up keeping them and throwing a riser on to get me over the adjuster when I put the stainles lines on...

-Jonny

post #16 of 20 Old 02-14-2012, 08:36 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF1VE View Post
Now there's an idea - monthly payments on handlebars.
damnit! i meant renthal.... glad that's obvious though

post #17 of 20 Old 02-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Needs training wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
I agree...I'm gonna look around for something with a bit of a rise to it. Superbike or lowrise. Oh well...it's cheaper than modifying my Mustang was!

-Jonny
Got the superbike here... Haven't gotten to ride with em yet but like em so far. And hey! Everything fits!

Edit: jonny, I've got some risers if you want them... PM if interested. Prolly just charge shipping.

post #18 of 20 Old 02-14-2012, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

PM sent, Brew...worth a shot, right?!
-Jonny

post #19 of 20 Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

So I got the master adjusted with the bar in a comfy position by moving it all out a little. Not going to fly once I order my stainless lines with the longer banjo bolt, but should do till that comes in and the Brewster hooks me up with the risers.

-Jonny

post #20 of 20 Old 02-21-2012, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Brew, I got the risers today...perfect! Positioned the bars directly over the fork tubes, better wrist position and plenty of clearance! I'll have to use a dime to adjust the damp/reb, but no big!

Thanks again!
-Jonny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode