Chinese Brake Rotors... who's got 'em? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 35 Old 05-24-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Chinese Brake Rotors... who's got 'em?

I'm in the market for a new rear brake rotor...
searching eBay has turned up a few choices from China:

Timmy66666 offers a BUY IT NOW for $30 + $20 S&H

wangyionline1980
offers a BUY IT NOW for $45 with free shipping

TDmoto offers a BUY IT NOW for $29.99 + $15.00 S&H

I know there have been discussions on other knock-off parts from China, mirrors & levers, etc.

Has anyone purchased any of these (or similar) brake rotors?
Please speak up if you have, I'm curious as to how long delivery took, quality of product, do you find it was money well spent, etc. etc.

I was about to pull the trigger on one but figured I'd inquire here first

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 05-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Pilus Posterior

Seen them too. I'm too chicken to buy one just in case they are pressed out of Chinese dick cheese and painted silver.

Mind you my chinese levers impressed me.

post #3 of 35 Old 05-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Le So Cal Troll

coupla things.

if you get em... WIPE EM DOWN BIG TIME with some paint thinner, simple green break cleaner, then finish off with soap and water... get all the packing grease off or u can kiss ur pads good by.

other than that... i wouldnt buy em, stock rotors are damn good... hell i wouldnt even buy some fancy name brand wave rotor over the stockers... u wont ever see a fancy wave rotor on a moto gp bike thats being raced.

post #4 of 35 Old 05-24-2011, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
...just in case they are pressed out of Chinese dick cheese and painted silver.
"CDC" huh? Never heard that one before

I really like my knock-off bar end mirrors
https://www.wristtwisters.com/f94/bar...ors-23195.html

and I'm definitely not afraid of the knock-off levers...
https://www.wristtwisters.com/f289/go...ese-24867.html

but when it comes to the rotors, it's kindofa double-edged sword:

On one side, it's just a piece of metal that gets gripped by the brake pads, how bad could they screw that up?
and it's the REAR brake... FRONT brakes account for like 80% (give or take a few) of your stopping power, so it's not the first line of defense in an emergency stop situation.

On the other side, brakes are important for stopping (front AND rear), and when it comes to safety, cost shouldn't be an issue.

... I do like the cost of 'em though

I think my biggest concern here is that I've never ordered anything from overseas directly before.
Wondering about "what if..." situations like:
- what if I send payment & they never show up
or
- what if I get something that doesn't match the item description
...I suppose those are issues I'd have to take up with ebay

post #5 of 35 Old 05-24-2011, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
if you get em... WIPE EM DOWN BIG TIME with some paint thinner, simple green break cleaner, then finish off with soap and water... get all the packing grease off or u can kiss ur pads good by.
sounds like sound advice, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
... u wont ever see a fancy wave rotor on a moto gp bike thats being raced.
agreed, but I doubt I'd find stock brakes on 'em either

post #6 of 35 Old 05-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Hastatus Posterior

I'd pass on that, thanks.

post #7 of 35 Old 05-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Le So Cal Troll

on a positive i have never had any issues with ording stuff directly from china. takes about 5 to 7 business days to get to me here on so cal.... i actually had one once that got to me in 3 business days... that blew my mind.

post #8 of 35 Old 05-28-2011, 11:37 PM
It's like... ya know?

I've never had issues with overseas orders, I can say from experience though that if the product never ships or they ship you shit, ebay is REALLY good at taking care of you in a big way. I wouldn't worry about them screwing you.

[insert overly political message here]
post #9 of 35 Old 05-29-2011, 12:33 AM
Left of Centre

I've seen these things too, and wondered about them.

I guess at some point you get what you pay for - it's probably not going to last as long as a part sourced from somewhere else, but how critical is that? I'm sure you'll keep a close eye on it. Maybe you'll get value for money out of it even if it doesn't do 100,000mi.

I've only had good experiences w car and bike stuff ordered out of the East...and the price is always right!

post #10 of 35 Old 05-29-2011, 06:38 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

I picked up an aftermarket rear rotor for my KLR.

When I fucked up my caliper and embedded some aluminum in the steel of the rotor, I thought it was history.

Well, that rotor I got was the biggest piece of festering shit (though it was from Brazil, I think) and cost twice what you see there, I decided to work my original to remove the aluminum and thus use it.

That was 9,000 miles ago.

Yesterday, my boy and I were cleaning the garage in prep for placing his heavy/speed bag combo stand in there (what a pain in the knee.........I stumbled off the porch and ate shit like a toddling old man), and I came a cross that filthy good for nothing piece of banana shit rusty stink hole extruded butt fudge money pit of an old KLR rotor and I told Brian to send this thing straight to the recycle bin. He balked and said it was cool and that he wanted it, I stood firm. Maybe it could be recycled and made into a fancy cat shit scoop.

Omaha, does my story make sense to you, Bro?

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #11 of 35 Old 05-29-2011, 07:10 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
I picked up an aftermarket rear rotor for my KLR.

When I fucked up my caliper and embedded some aluminum in the steel of the rotor, I thought it was history.

Well, that rotor I got was the biggest piece of festering shit (though it was from Brazil, I think) and cost twice what you see there, I decided to work my original to remove the aluminum and thus use it.

That was 9,000 miles ago.

Yesterday, my boy and I were cleaning the garage in prep for placing his heavy/speed bag combo stand in there (what a pain in the knee.........I stumbled off the porch and ate shit like a toddling old man), and I came a cross that filthy good for nothing piece of banana shit rusty stink hole extruded butt fudge money pit of an old KLR rotor and I told Brian to send this thing straight to the recycle bin. He balked and said it was cool and that he wanted it, I stood firm. Maybe it could be recycled and made into a fancy cat shit scoop.

Omaha, does my story make sense to you, Bro?
Did you apply the Brazilian rotor wax that came in the kit?

post #12 of 35 Old 05-29-2011, 08:50 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Did you apply the Brazilian rotor wax that came in the kit?
Honestly, I should have applied some of my M1 Garand "Lip Balm" to it.

General George S. Patton
post #13 of 35 Old 05-30-2011, 05:40 AM
Tesserarius

Some one must be buying them, otherwise how could they afford to sell them so cheap?

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro
post #14 of 35 Old 05-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Tirone

Hi, a mate of mine bought front and rear rotors for his Yamaha TRX from China and has had no issues. He has reported that the brakes work the same as the standard ones but are lighter. He did it for looks as he has turned his TRX into a street fighter. Cheers.

post #15 of 35 Old 05-30-2011, 11:55 PM
Dead Wrong

Garage
I got the rear disc... It works

post #16 of 35 Old 06-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Tirone

Guys, you make it sound like making a 240mm rear disc out of steel is rocket sience!? I mean, man.. That shit will work as good as your OEM disc if you're not doing alot of trackdays and etc. And it is just the rear disc, 90% of the braking power is still on the front wheels. It's just a disc out of steel, and if its straight and made out of the right material it will work just fine!

In sweden a OEM rear disc is 400 dollars, yep for a freakin rear disc. You think I will pay that kind of money for that shit when I payed 450 dollars for a PAIR of big front OEM discs for my Porsche Boxster S from a Porsche dealer..

Riding a GSX-R 1000 Streetfighter 170whp
post #17 of 35 Old 06-10-2011, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Thanks everyone for chiming in...

Bigdaa: yeah I think I smell what you're steppin' in,

Istvan: You've summed up exactly what I was thinking when I started this thread.

Well, truth be told - I was just about to order one of the discs from China when I did one last search using different criteria & happened to come across a brand new Galfer wave rotor that had one bid & 8 minutes left on the auction.

I snagged that sumbitch for $61.00

I figured, for about $20 more... why not? I think I came out a winner on this one.

post #18 of 35 Old 06-10-2011, 05:20 PM
The Cripple

indeed you did omaha!!! THAT is how you bid on ebay. not start bidding on the item 6 days before it ends lol.

post #19 of 35 Old 06-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Le So Cal Troll

we will see when you go down the road n next thing you kno the rotor cracks n fucks up ur rear caliper cus it got wedged in it. haha.

im stickin with my oem rotors, never had any issues and a wave rotor or a standard rotor all look the same when they r spinnin.

post #20 of 35 Old 06-11-2011, 02:02 AM
Tirone

nd4spdbh, if you even havn't tried them, why start telling things that isn't true and scarying away people? I've been racing on trackdays with my cars for many years, and tested alot of different disc:s and etc. On a car where you have vented disc:s and etc it's more important with the quality. BUT on a bike where you have a one piece steel disc. You really can't tell that much of a difference appart from the disc:s as in the car world.

I mean, I know people who has been riding dirt bikes for many many years, and a good friend of mine has been making the discs for them in his workshop. As I said, it isn't rocket sience. If you use the right material and thicknes, you just make a program in the machine and the machine will cut it out for you. Thats it! And I've never heard on there dirtbikes that they have cracked up, and they ride there dirtbikes much harder around the tracks then we do on the streets.

And especially when were just talking about a rear disc for a bike.
Sorry for my poor english, just want people to understand that making a disc for a bike really isn't that hard. For cars on the other hand, there is more to it.

BR,
Istvan

edit: and yes, not all bike disc:s are made of one pice metal, all though I think almost alla bikes rear disc:s are made out of one pice. But the front discs on the other hand can be made out of 2 pieces. Which surley needs some more "knowing how to" but still, no rocket sience

post #21 of 35 Old 06-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Le So Cal Troll

well, all ima say is you get what you pay for. you noted on the "materials used" do you think the material in said chinese rotor is going to be of the standard used on the oem rotor.

and theres no way you can compare the abuse of a dirt bike disk to a street... standard street riding will heat up a disk to be MUCH hotter than even an agressive dirt rider.

post #22 of 35 Old 06-11-2011, 09:17 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

The rotor I got was thinner, had chatter marks from the shitty tooling used to cut it out and could actually be bent with lttle effort. These things are absent in an OEM. That people got away with using the cheap Chinese shit is of no interest to me. I could have gotten away with using the piece of shit. But it would be on MY Bike. And I would know the difference.

General George S. Patton
post #23 of 35 Old 06-12-2011, 02:21 AM
Tirone

Well just so that you guys know, majority of all OEM disc:s both for cars and bikes are made in... Yep thats right. CHINA! And you know why? Because of the cheap labour.. Maybe you guys should stop buying OEM discs aswell?

If you don't belive me, read this thread I saw back in the days when I was driving my tuned Honda Cívic Type-R. Brake Rotors from China - the truth - Honda-Tech

And about the thickness, offcourse when you buy a new disc you have to find out how thick it is, and how thick a OEM disc is. And offcourse the quality can vary from time to time.

But as in, "you get what you pay for". Yeap in this case, which is proven in the link above, 99% of the time you get a chinese made disc, sent to the US. re-branded and added like 500% on the price.

And offcourse there is bad examples of this to, but do some researching so that you buy from a big company with good reviews, not from a person on ebay who makes his discs in his basement.

Over and out!

post #24 of 35 Old 06-12-2011, 06:20 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Istvan: Not so fast there. Most US market rotors are made in Canada or Mexico now, not China. I've been watching this carefully for a while - the replacement rotors I fitted to my Pathfinder are out of Canada, from Canadian made blanks, for example.

US production may more or less be gone, but China is only starting to penetrate the lower tier (in the OE/OE equivalent field) and even that is shaky as QC is spotty. Perhaps unsurprisingly, it is mostly the Asian marques with Chinese rotor coverage - they don't seem to make much headway on USDM or European makes.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #25 of 35 Old 06-12-2011, 07:56 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

The OEM stuff made in China would in fact be made with stringent quality control dictated by the parent company. What you get on E-Gay is a crap shoot.

Istvan, are you invested heavily in Chinese back alley industry? Over and Out>>>>>>>>>>>>

BTW: I could have cut cleaner holes in that KLR rotor I got with my rifle!

General George S. Patton
post #26 of 35 Old 06-13-2011, 12:39 AM
Tirone

Okey guys, I rest my case. Bigdaa. I'm sorry that you've got a shitty made disc. I just really wanted to point out that making a rotor for a bike isn't that hard at all. As I said my friend made some really nice disc:s in his workshop. And if you just do some researching of the seller, it really can't go wrong. Escpecially making a rear disc! I bought one for my 600 Hornet, worked perfectly and looked great. My buddy bought one for his CBR1000RR which he is doing trackdays with, and no problem there. He is even a motorbike mechanic. (And it's a fast bike with PC3, full exhaust, K&N, racing tyres and etc)

But offcourse you have bad experiences with everything, and usually "Made in China" is associated with something bad. That might be the case for 20 years ago. But now a days they are making ALOT of our stuff with realy good results. But offcourse you still get bad examples as well.

You guys should buy what ever you want, but as I have worked alot around cars and I have a good understanding in the process of making parts like this. So I'm not willing to pay $400 for a OEM rear disc to my 600 hornet when I bought one for $100 including the rear brake pads. (The same things would have cost $500 here in Sweden)

Have a nice day guys!

post #27 of 35 Old 06-13-2011, 12:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
You guys should buy what ever you want, but as I have worked alot around cars and I have a good understanding in the process of making parts like this. So I'm not willing to pay $400 for a OEM rear disc to my 600 hornet when I bought one for $100 including the rear brake pads. (The same things would have cost $500 here in Sweden)

Have a nice day guys!
Uh...

US *retail* pricing for the rear rotor on a 919 is $230.64 at the dealer, with typical internet pricing at about $175.

Rear rotor on a 599 is $66.55 retail from Honda. Internet discount pricing, $49.99.

Neither one of these is from China.

Rear pads are under $40 at the dealer. Not from China either.

Someone's getting ripped off, and it's not us. I suspect governmental taxation is at work there, much like Finland's 100%+ tax on most imported vehicles.

2002 Honda 919
post #28 of 35 Old 06-13-2011, 01:09 AM
Pilus Posterior

A year or so OK there was a short snippet on TV in NZ about a promo in the States to stop buying Chinese items. They went into a 'average' US house and took out all the items made in or having Chinese content. Bloody house was almost empty!

Gotta watch them - they are everywhere!

post #29 of 35 Old 06-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
Uh...

US *retail* pricing for the rear rotor on a 919 is $230.64 at the dealer, with typical internet pricing at about $175.

Rear rotor on a 599 is $66.55 retail from Honda. Internet discount pricing, $49.99.

Neither one of these is from China.

Rear pads are under $40 at the dealer. Not from China either.

Someone's getting ripped off, and it's not us. I suspect governmental taxation is at work there, much like Finland's 100%+ tax on most imported vehicles.
Yep but this it what they cost in sweden from a Honda dealer. $400 for OEM. And I found a "non OEM" disc in Sweden for $300. And this wasnt even OEM...

Either way, I'm pretty sure that the OEM disc:s for Honda are made in China anyways, so I don't care. The $100 dollar set shipped to Sweden worked just fine for me, good build quality and 1000 miles latet it looks and feels just as good as my OEM disc did. I bought them from the UK though, but I'm 100% sure they're not UK made

Have a good one!

post #30 of 35 Old 06-13-2011, 11:48 AM

Garage
I'm pretty sure the stock rotors are *not* made in China. The last Honda rotor I saw came in a bag indicating the part was made in Japan.

2002 Honda 919
post #31 of 35 Old 06-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
rear rotor on a 919 is $230.64 at the dealer

Rear rotor on a 599 is $66.55 retail from Honda
WTF.

post #32 of 35 Old 06-13-2011, 02:53 PM

Garage
I just checked. Dealer retail price for a 599/Hornet 600 rear rotor in the Netherlands is €156.50, not €400 or even $400 when converted. So, yeah, I'm guessing there's some Swedish taxation stupidity going on in there. For the price difference in the world outside Scandihoovia , I'll take the Japanese rotor and pads and walk right past the Chinese ones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmike View Post
WTF.
The 919 is a larger bike. I'd be willing to bet we use the rotors off the slower-selling 900-series CBRs or even the 1000. The 599 probably uses the ones off the sells-by-the-millions CBR600, which means they're going to be cheaper due to the volume.

2002 Honda 919
post #33 of 35 Old 06-13-2011, 03:14 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Chinese make allot of shit, cheap and alot of it is cheap shit. people buy it because they want to save a buck and to them, if it quacks like a duck it must be a duck. Never mind that it doesn't sound or walk like a duck, it's 1/4 the cost.

There are good, quality things coming out of China. But they don't tend to be 1/4 of the cost. Maybe 90 or 80% of the cost, yes.

Maybe you work on cars........makes no big deal. You fix soembody's something, gets them down the road and back home, works for two weeks or two months, whatever...then it breaks and they take it back to their usual mechanic.

I got kids. We've bought Chinese stuff. It lasts like Chinese stuff. But it's still MY money. And it broke.

So.....you got lucky with a part in a less than critical application. OK. I'm all for hearing success stories. But I'd bet dollars to donutss you wouldn't come back to say something like "Well, the damn thing showed signs of heat stress and cracking after some particular heavy riding session" because you are so sure of your buying prowess.

In my case, if I was wrong, or proven wrong, I'd say so and forget the "eating crow" (not really eating crow) but I'd be happy my erronious word was no longer taken as gospel.

Some of the guys here report that they bought Pazzo knock offs here with good success, so believe me, I don't want to give the impression that I think everything out of China is shit.

Tell me, is it custom in Sweden to give what is essentially a farewell after each post?:001_smile:

General George S. Patton
post #34 of 35 Old 06-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Tirone

I said it was $400, not € But yeah, that is the price over here. 250 Euro (€) if you want to convert the swedish price which was 2400 SEK

Actually, the hornet 600 has the same rear disc as the CBR600RR, CBR1000RR an probably much more models that I don't know of. But it's the same as the 1000RR cause my buddy bought the same as me

Bigdaa, trust me. I'm a simple and honest guy, if I would have any problems with it I would have told you. And I will tell you aswell if anything comes up. But so far so good. I mean I ride the bike hard, probably harder then the 919 because of the high reving engine you always want to push it. And as I said, my buddy does a lot of trackdays with his tuned CBR1000RR and no problems there either.

My 2 buddies bought the whole Repsol fairing kit for there CBR600RR and CBR1000RR from china. Made out of ABS plastic. Shipped home for under 500 dollars. UNDER 500. And it looks SO freakin good. And it fits PERFECTLY, just like OEM without having to modify anything. We could'nt belive our eyes for that cost we were prepared to do some modifications to make it fit good. And this was the whole whole kit, they even threw in a seat cowl and new black windscreen.

It's made out of plastic, not shitty fibreglass. It's painted really good, even the clear coat is sprayed on after the stickers have been put on. Here is a kinda crappy pic of how it looks on my friends CBR600RR.

In Sweden, the price would have been 10 times more then what they paid..
Just another example where if you do some researching, and know a thing or to. You can save ALOT of $$$.

Hehe, well it depends on what your talking about and who your talking to, but normaly it's not really a custom. But I'm just a nice guy

So, I'm going to sleep now. And you guys have a good day

post #35 of 35 Old 06-13-2011, 04:16 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

That is damn nice looking.

General George S. Patton

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode