Check out my steering damper! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 66 Old 11-17-2013, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
The Instigator

Check out my steering damper!

Looks sweet bro! Check out this monstrosity. Wonder if they've ever sold one?

Honda Hornet 900 CB919 Toby Steering Damper Stabilizer Mount Kit 3 Colors | eBay

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 11-17-2013, 10:41 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

I guarantee somebody somewhere bought one just because they wanted to spend money instead of save it...

The 919 is the last bike on the planet that actually needs a steering damper, but anybody that is ignorant enough to think they need one will never be talked out of buying one. They usually like to give the reason that they are special and their riding style dictates the need or they have butchered the geometry of the bike so bad that it now has handling problems...

post #3 of 66 Old 11-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
I guarantee somebody somewhere bought one just because they wanted to spend money instead of save it...

The 919 is the last bike on the planet that actually needs a steering damper, but anybody that is ignorant enough to think they need one will never be talked out of buying one. They usually like to give the reason that they are special and their riding style dictates the need or they have butchered the geometry of the bike so bad that it now has handling problems...
yeah... i dont think i have EVER had the 919 come anywhere close to being in a situation where a steering dampener would be beneficial.

post #4 of 66 Old 11-17-2013, 11:15 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Hell I've had it with both wheels in the air over a jump at 45mph and landed more crossed up wheelies than I can count and it never even shimmies... The front instantly corrects itself as soon as it sets down. Ya just gotta be light on the bars and let it do its own thing.

post #5 of 66 Old 11-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Cornicen

Holy crap...

"How did you get a hole in your shin?" "Well, I put this thing on my bike and turned left..."

Did they take that thing off a hatchback??

post #6 of 66 Old 11-17-2013, 11:23 AM
jrj
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojudo View Post
Holy crap..

Did they take that thing off a hatchback??
I was thinking the same thing.

post #7 of 66 Old 11-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Ian

I have a Onlins damper (OEM zx10r) installed on my 919.

I like it ... but if I hadn't picked it up for free I doubt I would have one or even be looking for one for the 919.

post #8 of 66 Old 11-17-2013, 12:01 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliMech View Post
I have a Onlins damper (OEM zx10r) installed on my 919.

You know those OEM Dampers they put on the Kawi's don't actually work right? They do not have enough built in resistance of be of any real use. We have to change the needle and seat for them to work like a proper aftermarket damper.

post #9 of 66 Old 11-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Hell I've had it with both wheels in the air over a jump at 45mph and landed more crossed up wheelies than I can count and it never even shimmies... The front instantly corrects itself as soon as it sets down. Ya just gotta be light on the bars and let it do its own thing.
yeah i have landed my fair share of crossed up wheelies and the 919 just goes.... ok what next.

post #10 of 66 Old 11-17-2013, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
The Instigator

So, what is it about the 919 that makes it so stable? The stock suspension obviously doesn't do anything to help and the bike also doesn't seem to mind having the front lowered as well, so even with more aggressive geometry it's still stable as hell. How come?

post #11 of 66 Old 11-17-2013, 12:39 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Lazy geometry numbers combined with wide handlebars that give the rider a lot more leverage to steer the bike means you don't need to have the typical sharp steering, twitchy geometry that so many sportbikes require. The 919 changes direction with ease and very little effort. It could easily be argued the flexy chassis contributes to that as well. The bike just kind bends itself into the turns.

post #12 of 66 Old 11-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Ian

Quote:

You know those OEM Dampers they put on the Kawi's don't actually work right? They do not have enough built in resistance of be of any real use. We have to change the needle and seat for them to work like a proper aftermarket damper.
Yes i know its setup differently. I was going to send it down your way sometime for the rework. Like I said ... It was free.

post #13 of 66 Old 11-17-2013, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
The Instigator

Quote:
Lazy geometry numbers combined with wide handlebars that give the rider a lot more leverage to steer the bike means you don't need to have the typical sharp steering, twitchy geometry that so many sportbikes require. The 919 changes direction with ease and very little effort. It could easily be argued the flexy chassis contributes to that as well. The bike just kind bends itself into the turns.

This is fascinating to me because I've never ridden anything so friendly and sure-footed before, and I've owned a bunch. I'm also guessing the bike being built from the ground up for the street also helps?

Pretty much any bike as quick as the 919 on the street, is going to have the potential to do some serious lap times in the right hands and therefore a big strong swingarm, and wrap around aluminum frame with a peaky engine and much less friendly controls. Makes the 919 a serious one-of-a-kind bike if you ask me.

I rode a Ninja 1000, then Tiger 1050 and VFR1200 and while all great bikes, not even close to as user-friendly. Said "No thanks to all 3" and started looking for a 2nd 919 to tour on.

post #14 of 66 Old 11-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Le So Cal Troll

i wouldnt say ground up....

engine from the 900rr that has been fuel injected and detuned for the street.

run of the mill suspension

brakes from different bikes

but for what ever reason the blending of all the parts produces a very forgiving neutral bike... what i like to call a jack of all trades, master of none.

post #15 of 66 Old 11-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Imaginifer

She sez, "Geez you've got a long one!"

He sez, "Yeah, baby, and it's made for serious stroking."

LDH sez, "You don't have to have one of those long things to do the job that needs to be done."

"Keep on 9-in"

post #16 of 66 Old 11-17-2013, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
The Instigator

I wouldn't consider it detuned, but retuned. The 900RR only made about 16-20hp more and the carbs helped make that rediculous hole in the powerband at 5K that much worse. Also, longish stroke engine never really helped it stand out againt the other bikes of it's time.

Only when they re-tuned it for the 919 did the engine really shine if you ask me. With the right mods the 919 can be the master of many, on the street.

The bike may be put together with bargain-bin parts but with good suspension upgrades, the 919 specific chassis is a true gem of the past decade for street riding as far as I can see.

post #17 of 66 Old 11-17-2013, 03:56 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

I agree with your thoughts and the sentiment behind them. Just be sure you NEVER EVER EVER test ride a CB1000R...

post #18 of 66 Old 11-17-2013, 04:38 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post

The bike may be put together with bargain-bin parts but with good suspension upgrades, the 919 specific chassis is a true gem of the past decade for street riding as far as I can see.
It's a year 2000 time frame UJM, plain and simple.
A full suspension upgrade is transformational.
True the bike gets quicker at the front end by dropping the front, but I found lifting the whole bike up sped it up re chassis roll rate and turn in. and kept all the front end trail feel, as well as increasing the lean angle before starting to grind.

post #19 of 66 Old 11-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
I agree with your thoughts and the sentiment behind them. Just be sure you NEVER EVER EVER test ride a CB1000R...
this is another big key to my loving of the 919.... IGNORANCE IS BLISS

i dont dare ride a fancy new naked bike.

post #20 of 66 Old 11-17-2013, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
The Instigator

I rode an '08 Z1000, very sick bike but it's not for me.

If the Cb1000 is anything like the Z1000, and I suspect it is ( I also rode a Ninja 1000) I'm perfectly happy with my 919 and will remain so for a very long time The newer bikes are not headed in a direction that interests me. Ignorance is bliss, but so is having your bike paid for.

post #21 of 66 Old 11-17-2013, 10:09 PM
-Thread Lurker-

The factory damper on my SV-S mostly provided just a fake sense of confidence I don't think it made too big of a difference. Even on the tank slappers when the front wheel stopped a spinnin in the air

Till next time, Brrraap
post #22 of 66 Old 11-18-2013, 08:12 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

It took one instance of pureed testicle for me to throw a damper on my 929RR.

Never again.

In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.
General George S. Patton
post #23 of 66 Old 11-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post

run of the mill suspension

brakes from different bikes
Never fathomed why Honda didn't just take the brakes & suspension from the F4i & drop it into the 919. Would have saved them money & us plenty of headache in trying to do a fork/shock swap.

post #24 of 66 Old 11-18-2013, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
The Instigator

It would have cost them an extra $___ per bike which they couldn't justify the costs in doing. They also would have to re-do the damping and change the spring rate (too soft of course) They do thing their way and when it comes to suspension, it the hard way.

post #25 of 66 Old 11-18-2013, 09:56 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post
Never fathomed why Honda didn't just take the brakes & suspension from the F4i & drop it into the 919. Would have saved them money & us plenty of headache in trying to do a fork/shock swap.
Not sure how the f4/i forks is a headache? The f4/i forks drop right into the 919 triples and the brakes bolt right up with zero issues. You'll have to change the springs but most people have to anyways with the 919 forks.

post #26 of 66 Old 11-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Not sure how the f4/i forks is a headache? The f4/i forks drop right into the 919 triples and the brakes bolt right up with zero issues. You'll have to change the springs but most people have to anyways with the 919 forks.
You forget the process of procurement of said forks which is what is a headache. Very rare to find a decent unbent, not rusted & not scathed set of forks. Not saying its impossible but majority of the forks available are not worth considering.

post #27 of 66 Old 11-18-2013, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
The Instigator

Getting your 919 forks rebuilt would yield far better results even w/o adjustability, but if set up by someone that knows what they are doing, you really shouldn't need it.

post #28 of 66 Old 11-18-2013, 04:43 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

On second look, the damper looks like some kind of small caliber mortar launching device.

In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.
General George S. Patton
post #29 of 66 Old 11-18-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
The Instigator

There's really nothing special about stock F4i forks.

post #30 of 66 Old 11-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
I rode an '08 Z1000, very sick bike but it's not for me.

If the Cb1000 is anything like the Z1000, and I suspect it is ( I also rode a Ninja 1000) I'm perfectly happy with my 919 and will remain so for a very long time The newer bikes are not headed in a direction that interests me. Ignorance is bliss, but so is having your bike paid for.
exactly.... my 919 is now just over 4 years old to me, was paid off at the beginning and so far has cost me 1050 a year (bought it for 4200 bucks) ... insurance being liability only for 95 a year...

If i bought an new bike it would not only be way more expensive... but insurance would be more because of new and the need for comprehensive, and also i wouldnt nearly have as much fun as i would be afraid to hurt it...

The 919... i have no problem taking off road.

post #31 of 66 Old 11-18-2013, 07:29 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Getting your 919 forks rebuilt would yield far better results even w/o adjustability, but if set up by someone that knows what they are doing, you really shouldn't need it.
Quote:
There's really nothing special about stock F4i forks.
Sorry man, just simply not true, on all 3 accounts. Especially if you have an 02/03 front end. I'll just let Mcromo chime in on this one. PAGING MCROMO!

arshishb, not sure why you're having a difficult time finding f4/i forks? Wasn't a headache for me. In fact, looking on ebay just a few minutes ago under "f4" yielded at least 5 pairs of forks either needing minor work (seal replacement) or were bolt on ready.

If by headache you meant pricewise, then yes that can be an issue sometimes. Mostly because us 919 owners are cheapasses No this doesn't count ndspd since he doesn't spend ANY money on his poor 919

post #32 of 66 Old 11-18-2013, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
The Instigator

Quote:
Sorry man, just simply not true, on all 3 accounts. Especially if you have an 02/03 front end. I'll just let Mcromo chime in on this one. PAGING MCROMO!

arshishb, not sure why you're having a difficult time finding f4/i forks? Wasn't a headache for me. In fact, looking on ebay just a few minutes ago under "f4" yielded at least 5 pairs of forks either needing minor work (seal replacement) or were bolt on ready.

If by headache you meant pricewise, then yes that can be an issue sometimes. Mostly because us 919 owners are cheapasses No this doesn't count ndspd since he doesn't spend ANY money on his poor 919
So you're saying a stock F4i for vs a 919 fork worked over by Traxxion would be about the same?

post #33 of 66 Old 11-18-2013, 11:19 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
So you're saying a stock F4i for vs a 919 fork worked over by Traxxion would be about the same?
You're comparing apples and oranges here. merely changing the spring rate doesn't address the main issues/difference between f4/i and 919 forks. Compared to stock (with proper springs for both), the f4/i will set up better/easier than the 919 due to having an additional adjustment that the 919 forks will never have. With the 919, you'd be compensating for the lack there of as opposed to setting up properly.

post #34 of 66 Old 11-19-2013, 06:27 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Quote:

Problem is that pictures on Ebay or CL don't convey much of the story. The forks I got were completely straight & didn't leak at all but had tiny rust "dots" & a fairly small but deep gash which was rusted. The new seals have held up OK so far but I don't think they will last much under track level braking when I will actually manage to compress the forks all the way. This just MY bad luck, as they say YMMV Now i need to source inner tubes so its half a headache

post #35 of 66 Old 11-19-2013, 06:30 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
You're comparing apples and oranges here. merely changing the spring rate doesn't address the main issues/difference between f4/i and 919 forks. Compared to stock (with proper springs for both), the f4/i will set up better/easier than the 919 due to having an additional adjustment that the 919 forks will never have. With the 919, you'd be compensating for the lack there of as opposed to setting up properly.
I completely agree with PV here. Just stock settings on a refreshed set of F4/F4i forks with Racetech springs made a big difference in just my regular commute. Turn in became a lot more intuitive with a linear rate of the bike "falling in" if you know what I mean? So comparatively speaking, for not much money you get 3 way adjustable forks which are pretty decent. Of course if you are a very fast guy, you wouldn't be trying to get competitive on a 919 anyway

post #36 of 66 Old 11-19-2013, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
The Instigator

I never said the F4i forks weren't an improvement. I said getting your 919 forks rebuilt would yield better results, but yes that would cost a lot more.

I also stand by my statement that stock F4i forks are nothing special. Better, but still stock, budget-minded suspension.

As for the adjustability comment, well-rebuilt 919 forks will ride better than stock F4i forks no matter what the difference is adjustability.

All of this is assuming the right springs of either the 919/F4i forks are matched to the rider.

post #37 of 66 Old 11-19-2013, 11:36 AM
GLG-20

Garage
Someone bought some F4i forks this morning. Not me! Lol

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #38 of 66 Old 11-19-2013, 12:12 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

OK, well let's do a trackday at Buttonwillow. I'll ride my F4i with bone stock forks & one of you bring your 919 and we'll see which forks work better

post #39 of 66 Old 11-19-2013, 12:29 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
I also stand by my statement that stock F4i forks are nothing special. Better, but still stock, budget-minded suspension.
Well shit, if the f4/i forks are just budget-minded suspension, then what does that make the 919 forks considering they are subpar to the f4/i?

This isn't just about adjustability, this is also about damping curves, ride height, etc etc. a polished turd is, at the end of the day, still just a turd. But keep telling yourself whatever you need so you can sleep at night with your polished turds.

It again appears you don't know what you're talking about. I suggest you take up on LDH's offer down below.

Quote:
OK, well let's do a trackday at Buttonwillow. I'll ride my F4i with bone stock forks & one of you bring your 919 and we'll see which forks work better

post #40 of 66 Old 11-19-2013, 12:48 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Some people change things just to be different and some will proclaim it is better regardless of whether it actually is or not simply because they want to convince themselves of it for the confidence factor or because they lack the ability to actually discern the differences.

Years ago after hearing people profess how an old OEM CBR600 shock was so awesome on the 919 I tried it. It flat out sucked, but that rumor is still perpetuated even now. Different is not always better...

There are certain things you can do to the 919 like putting shorter forks on it or lowering the front end etc that affect the handling and for certain types of riders this may be a beneficial mod. I personally utilize a lot of trailbraking in my riding style and found the stock geometry pretty much perfect for riding solo and when riding with a passenger I found a smaller profile 120/60 tire was an asset to the handling. Keep in mind I am solely regarding the geometry of the bike not the damping or spring rates. For my preference lowering the front end is simply not required for the 919 which has a very neutral steering effort right out of the box and excessive lowering of the front causes additional problems with an already worrisome ground clearance plus hinders trailbraking efforts making the bike fight you into the turns.

Ultimately different riders want different feel & feedback out of their front end. The 919 provides very little of both. Even with a proper Ohlins revalve on the OEM forks the front end is still vague, but the comfort is increased. Either way the 919 hugs a curve like a goat on a mountain. You may not be able to feel what is happening, but it will do its job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode