Cheaper than RAM mount mount - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 07-31-2016, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
Cheaper than RAM mount mount

Hello Peeps,

Was recently looking into getting a phone mount for the bike and almost pulled the trigger on the RAM mount until I found this guy:

I contacted him if he would be up for making me one and sending it over for around 20$ and then I told him that I'm part of the WT forum and asked him if he would be up for a bulk order type thing and he seemed interested.

A ram mount where i am would be 100$ soooo 20-30$ would be well worth it.

Sooo who would be up for one so I could tell him how many of us would be interested?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-31-2016, 03:54 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 11

I've been using a RAM handlebar mount + X-grip phone mount for a few years without issues. Total cost was more like $45 and not $100, but I'm not sure if prices are the same in Vancouver vs. USA.

This looks to be somewhat similar, but with 3 arms to grip the phone instead of 4. It also looks like this mount has a fixed angle which may or may not work for you.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #3 of 9 Old 07-31-2016, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
I guess with the 3 points of contact your phone-size might be limited...except if 3 brackets can be relocated up and down those arms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
I've been using a RAM handlebar mount + X-grip phone mount for a few years without issues. Total cost was more like $45 and not $100, but I'm not sure if prices are the same in Vancouver vs. USA.

This looks to be somewhat similar, but with 3 arms to grip the phone instead of 4. It also looks like this mount has a fixed angle which may or may not work for you.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-03-2016, 10:06 AM
Tirone

I've been using the X-Grip holder with 2in. extension using the U-Bolt mounting system.

Total cost out the door was $47 bucks. I had a coupon at the time. After the 1st 25mph crash, I was impressed the phone stayed put....I had to call for a friend to pick me up.

Here's where I bought mine locally.
https://www.powersportsplace.com/par...5148/overview/

post #5 of 9 Old 08-03-2016, 10:13 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

I used this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately it seems they are sold out, but it worked pretty well for me. With the X strap on, it's literally impossible for my phone to fall out.

post #6 of 9 Old 08-03-2016, 12:57 PM
Optio

Garage
Been using my RAM for a year. Holds my phone really well and the adjustment angles are great. I think I am at $50 all in.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #7 of 9 Old 08-03-2016, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
Lucky you its 80-100 in canada from amazon...

Could anybody get me a quote to see how much it would cost to send it over from over there :P ?
it can't be too heavy can it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsitarski View Post
Been using my RAM for a year. Holds my phone really well and the adjustment angles are great. I think I am at $50 all in.

post #8 of 9 Old 02-25-2018, 09:26 PM
Milites Gregarius

Which RAM mounts are you guys using? They have the handlebar clamp base, the mount to clamp on the bar itself and I'm intrigued by the fork stem mount if I can source a nut with the hole in it (or possibly drill out the one on the bike?!?!?).

I would appreciate any input or pictures !!!

TIA

Rob

post #9 of 9 Old 02-27-2018, 11:02 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by robroten View Post
Which RAM mounts are you guys using? They have the handlebar clamp base, the mount to clamp on the bar itself and I'm intrigued by the fork stem mount if I can source a nut with the hole in it (or possibly drill out the one on the bike?!?!?).

I would appreciate any input or pictures !!!

TIA

Rob
Like I said in my post, I used the U-bolt mounting base. Hasn't moved since I posted that comment and it was very cost effective.
Drilling into the center cap & tapping threads into there won't work. The cap wall thickness doesn't have enough thread engagement. However, I don't see why you couldn't drill and install a nut on the back side of the cap (if the nut will fit within the backside of the cap and you had a way of hold the nut while you tightened the screw).

Best of luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode