Best looking tank bags for the 919. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 04-05-2013, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Best looking tank bags for the 919.

I got my new battery, put on the mirrors and then decided to see what my old tank bag looked like on the 919.

It's not bad, but it's bulky because the 919 tank is taller. I really need a tank bag about this size, so a small one won't work for me. It's the Cargo Endurance sport. It looked great on my Nighthawk 700S, but seems too tall for the 919.

The 'bat wing' tank of the 919 is very different than the narrow 700S.

The holders don't even go over the sides of the tank.

Anyone have a good sized tank bag that kinda matches the 919 lines?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-05-2013, 04:41 PM
919 aka Hornet 900

post #3 of 18 Old 04-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Batman

Define good size if you could.

I use the ogio mini tanker and love it.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.

post #4 of 18 Old 04-06-2013, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Mine is about 12x15 it holds a water bottle, tools, iPod, etc... I can buy smaller items and they'll fit. I can fit a good lunch in there if I want.

It's kinda 'backpack' size and converts into a backpack.

I think if it were wider and shorter it would match a bit better, it just looks kinda odd on the 919's tank.

It matches the soft saddle bags, but I only use those when I need to.

I use motorcycles whenever I can, I get groceries, small items, I've even carried PVC pipes and paint and a large saw on one. I prefer the bike over all the other options I have. If it'll fit and the weather is good, I'll take the bike.

post #5 of 18 Old 04-06-2013, 02:48 AM
Discen

I have the exact same combination
Looks great and works really well
ps. That thread helped me make my decision of whether to get it or not. Thanks Mr T81

Just as aerodynamic airplanes are simple and streamlined, a motorcycle--which manages to balance an engine and a seat between two wheels--has a mechanical integrity, with intertwining pipes, chains and springs, that is fascinating to behold - Peter Plagens
post #6 of 18 Old 04-06-2013, 04:17 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
I use a Cortech Super Mini on both my Nighthawk 700 and my 919. Perfect size for the necessities.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #7 of 18 Old 04-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Milites Gregarius

Ogio makes a nice tankbag but its on the smallish side

post #8 of 18 Old 04-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Pierre-Marc

Wolfman Timberwolf Strap

post #9 of 18 Old 04-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Aquilifer

I'd get a tail bag before I ever got a tank bag but that is just my opinion.

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #10 of 18 Old 04-06-2013, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

I must carry water on all but the shortest trips. I get muscle cramps if I don't drink a lot of water. Usually a qt.

I also use an iPod wired to the helmet, the amp and controls are in a pocket in the tank bag, so having that behind me won't work well.

Not to mention that I do need some space for things if I'm shopping.

I'm wondering if I were to get it to match with some red, it might look better.

It also might be that I just need to get used to it.

That Super Mini, looks great, but it's just doesn't look big enough.

Maybe I need to get a small tank bag and a small tail bag. Use the tank bag for a few things and the rest goes into the tail bag.

post #11 of 18 Old 04-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Take a look at RKA, I've been using their stuff since '84 when I got my Nighthawk S and I can tell you their stuff is well made (in the USA) and holds up to use really well.

Dan
post #12 of 18 Old 04-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Aquilifer

I'm not trying to be Debbie downer or be mean or anything but I'd advise against having a wired headset only because its asking for a LEO to hassle you. Most states have laws against it while riding on a motorcycle because it could possibly allow for you to not hear the siren of emergency vehicles. A lot of guys don't realise it but the laws that allow for ear plugs usually have a provision that says they are supposed to be a specific type that only partially reduces the noise, and that they are DOT approved ear plugs (meaning not the generic cheap ones for sale at home depot). Most LEO's won't screw with you if you have generic's but I'm sure we've all run across one that just seems set to screw with you. Having a the wires showing really seems to set them off though, I guess maybe they just view it as some kind of flagrant display or something. I'm just letting you know so that you are aware and I can preface the warning side of things before I continue.

Now, having said that, do you have to use an ipod or could you use your phone as a media device and does it have Bluetooth (or perhaps an ipod touch)? If so then I would offer you the idea of using an affordable bluetooth headset that can go under your helmet, as well as the more expensive type that attach to your helmet. Then you could just make a playlist and put your phone in your pocket and carry some water in a Camelbak... (and you still have some room for a few generic items, map, ipad or tablet even that you might want to toss in the backpack/camelback. Personally, I use the LG HBS700 because it has a hoop that goes around your neck that has the controls on it and they are easy enough to operate with gloves on (forward, backward, and the pause button). I don't do phone calls on the bike... For one I think the portion that has the microphone is probably in the wind, so to speak, and I personally think it takes away from what you should be paying attention too. For the record I don't listen to music, pretty much for the same reason. I imagine if I were on a long enough ride on lots of slab riding I probably would though. I generally just use the headset for google maps navigation instructions when I am trying to get somewhere I am not familiar with.

I even have a little quick mount on the handlebar mount that allows me to put the vehicle mount for my phone and I ran a 12V line to it with a cig adapter. If you went that route you could have your phone on the handlebar and then get some of that solution for making your gloves work with touch phones and you can adjust your stuff on the go. I generally put mine there for not only hearing the Google maps instructions but being able to glance at them as well (to make sure I don't have to do crazy lane changes and what not).

Like I said, I'm just offering some advice that will offer a solution that is optimized for not having a LEO ruin you ride, and also being able to walk away from your bike without having to unplug things.

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #13 of 18 Old 04-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post
I'm not trying to be Debbie downer or be mean or anything but I'd advise against having a wired headset only because its asking for a LEO to hassle you. Most states have laws against it while riding on a motorcycle because it could possibly allow for you to not hear the siren of emergency vehicles. A lot of guys don't realise it but the laws that allow for ear plugs usually have a provision that says they are supposed to be a specific type that only partially reduces the noise, and that they are DOT approved ear plugs (meaning not the generic cheap ones for sale at home depot). Most LEO's won't screw with you if you have generic's but I'm sure we've all run across one that just seems set to screw with you. Having a the wires showing really seems to set them off though, I guess maybe they just view it as some kind of flagrant display or something. I'm just letting you know so that you are aware and I can preface the warning side of things before I continue.

Now, having said that, do you have to use an ipod or could you use your phone as a media device and does it have Bluetooth (or perhaps an ipod touch)? If so then I would offer you the idea of using an affordable bluetooth headset that can go under your helmet, as well as the more expensive type that attach to your helmet. Then you could just make a playlist and put your phone in your pocket and carry some water in a Camelbak... (and you still have some room for a few generic items, map, ipad or tablet even that you might want to toss in the backpack/camelback. Personally, I use the LG HBS700 because it has a hoop that goes around your neck that has the controls on it and they are easy enough to operate with gloves on (forward, backward, and the pause button). I don't do phone calls on the bike... For one I think the portion that has the microphone is probably in the wind, so to speak, and I personally think it takes away from what you should be paying attention too. For the record I don't listen to music, pretty much for the same reason. I imagine if I were on a long enough ride on lots of slab riding I probably would though. I generally just use the headset for google maps navigation instructions when I am trying to get somewhere I am not familiar with.

I even have a little quick mount on the handlebar mount that allows me to put the vehicle mount for my phone and I ran a 12V line to it with a cig adapter. If you went that route you could have your phone on the handlebar and then get some of that solution for making your gloves work with touch phones and you can adjust your stuff on the go. I generally put mine there for not only hearing the Google maps instructions but being able to glance at them as well (to make sure I don't have to do crazy lane changes and what not).

Like I said, I'm just offering some advice that will offer a solution that is optimized for not having a LEO ruin you ride, and also being able to walk away from your bike without having to unplug things.

I use a wired headset, but have my phone inside my jacket and the wires are mostly concealed. I have tried the Bluetooth option, but the volume was just way too low.

post #14 of 18 Old 04-06-2013, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

I've actually been 'told' or warned by a LEO before. He said you can only have them in 1 ear, not both. I nodded but never changed anything.

I use an amp because the iPod is too low by itself to power headphones. I do have BT on two iPTs but I don't use those to ride. I'd have to have the other part and they'd have to be loud enough to go over the wind/engine noise.

I can actually hear things well with the headphones, they don't cover the ears, they are actually just headphone speakers mounted inside the helmet, not actual headphones.

With the music off, I can hear exactly as before and the volume is not over that of the things around me, it's more like background music.

Not to get too far off the subject, I live near an area where LEO can be aggressive towards bikes, I've seen them in action. They tend to hassle certain types of bikes and riders. I'm really not an aggressive rider, I'm more a 'spirited' rider. I don't really go over the speed limit by much if at all, I have TONS of fun doing what I do at the speed I do. Other can beat me all day long, and that's fine, I still have a blast enjoying what I do and where I go.

I guess that means I'm an 'older' rider, I like to think of it as a sane rider that still has a blast.

Thanks for the heads up! You are spot-on with the wires, and it did happen but he was cool.

post #15 of 18 Old 04-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Imaginifer

Back to the tank bag chatter...

Here's the larger (18L I think) version of the Cortec bag. It's not expanded in this pic - it would be a couple of inches taller expanded. I really like the size and shape.

"Keep on 9-in"

post #16 of 18 Old 04-06-2013, 09:06 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post
I'm not trying to be Debbie downer or be mean or anything but I'd advise against having a wired headset only because its asking for a LEO to hassle you. Most states have laws against it while riding on a motorcycle because it could possibly allow for you to not hear the siren of emergency vehicles.
Lol seriously?! People seem to forget or just don't know that lights were added to emergency vehicles first. And then when people stopped paying attention to the lights, sirens were added later. People STILL don't pay attention For ANY ONE to argue that one need to hear for sirens are just talking out of their ass and can be proved as such. Mind you, this isn't picking on you rpcraft, just saying I've heard the same B.S. before so much that I just laugh at people.

With that said, I've ridden with hearing aids and telecoil hooks connected to my mp3 player with zero issues. Even when I was next to a LEO and we were gesturing to each other about my leaking fuel tank. Then there's the time last July where I got my first speeding ticket ever (). The sheriff didn't say anything about the cords which was obvious since I took my helmet off.

Back to the tank bag, it looks like if the OP is so concerned about looks, I'm not sure any tank bag will look cosmetically good on the 919 tank due to the wings and what not. You might have to make some compromises.

post #17 of 18 Old 04-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornetMan View Post
Here's the larger (18L I think) version of the Cortec bag. It's not expanded in this pic - it would be a couple of inches taller expanded. I really like the size and shape.

I think that one looks very good. I have the same tailbag, it's been a nice bag.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #18 of 18 Old 04-07-2013, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Lol seriously?! People seem to forget or just don't know that lights were added to emergency vehicles first. And then when people stopped paying attention to the lights, sirens were added later. People STILL don't pay attention For ANY ONE to argue that one need to hear for sirens are just talking out of their ass and can be proved as such. Mind you, this isn't picking on you rpcraft, just saying I've heard the same B.S. before so much that I just laugh at people.

With that said, I've ridden with hearing aids and telecoil hooks connected to my mp3 player with zero issues. Even when I was next to a LEO and we were gesturing to each other about my leaking fuel tank. Then there's the time last July where I got my first speeding ticket ever (). The sheriff didn't say anything about the cords which was obvious since I took my helmet off.

Back to the tank bag, it looks like if the OP is so concerned about looks, I'm not sure any tank bag will look cosmetically good on the 919 tank due to the wings and what not. You might have to make some compromises.
I think your right. I'm going to have another look at the bag. It sat since my 700S got the oil leak, and was covered with dust!

I cleaned it up and I'll have another look, it's actually pretty close the the one pic'd above. So I'll have another look.

You're right about the wide tank, I don't know if any bag would look better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode