Bar End Mirror Problems - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 05-23-2013, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Bar End Mirror Problems

Hello everyone,
I am new to wrist twisters. My name is Armando and I have been riding for 8 years. I have a 2007 Honda 919 Hornet and have just bought Driven D axis Bar end mirrors with the bar end mount. However, the problem I am running into is the bar end mounts that come with it are the kind that expand the rubber as you tighten. As some of you I am sure know the 919 has the female bolt on bar ends. Is there a way to remove this interior female end? If not any advice would be great.

thanks
Armando

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-24-2013, 05:26 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Probably use the same method as when adding a throttlemeister. Remove the stock bar end and thread a bolt of the same size into the hole backed up by a washer that is larger than the O.D. of the handlebar. As you tighten the threaded bolt, the insert creeps its way out.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #3 of 10 Old 05-24-2013, 05:27 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

There is a little tab that locks it into the handlebars. In order to get to it you have to remove the grips, or at least far enough to expose the tab and push it in with a screwdriver.

Doc's method will probably work just as well, it forces the tab to straighten out.

post #4 of 10 Old 05-24-2013, 05:33 AM
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
There is a little tab that locks it into the handlebars. In order to get to it you have to remove the grips, or at least far enough to expose the tab and push it in with a screwdriver.
+1 This is how I did it. I was putting new grips on at the time anyway.

'07 Hornet - Candy Glory Red
post #5 of 10 Old 05-24-2013, 06:45 AM
Hastatus Prior

I used a set of needle nose vise grips and pulled them far enough out to see the tabs then used a screw driver to push the tabs I think.....I do remember it was kind of a bitch. The vibes did increase slightly in the bars with no inner weights, I had to keep an eye on the tightness of the mirrors after that, a couple times they got loose while riding.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #6 of 10 Old 05-24-2013, 08:44 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post

Doc's method will probably work just as well, it forces the tab to straighten out.

It will depend upon whether you are changing the grips or not.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #7 of 10 Old 05-24-2013, 08:54 AM
just send it.

Garage
If you pour a little rubbing alcohol into the bar, it will help free up the rubber grommets holding the bar weights in the bars.

When pulling the bar weights out, I find 2 people makes this a breeze.
1. Pull bar end off
2. Pour some rubbing alcohol into the opening of the bar (rubbing alcohol will evaporate leaving no residue)
3. Take the bar end screw and thread screw into the bar weight a few turns (this will give you something to grip when pulling the bar weight out)
4. have one person hold the bars and push the tab on the bar weight in while the 2nd person pulls on the screw you previously threaded into the weight.
5. If the rubbing alcohol has reached both sets of rubber grommets, the bar weight should pull right out.

[This space for rent]
post #8 of 10 Old 05-24-2013, 11:58 AM
The Cripple

All the above are great approaches. Another method you have at your disposal is to take some needle nose pliers, locate the metal clip towards the outside opening of the bar end and compress that clip together while you use a bolt threaded into the weight to pull it out. It requires some patience and finesse but totally doable with 1 person.

post #9 of 10 Old 05-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

All good stuff. Precisely why this forum might be the best peer-helper on the 'net.

I think I could pull/lift the outside end of the grips just far enough to get to those tabs, keeping the grips I had on at the time in place....spent some time at it, as by the time I was finished I has those huge Manic Salamander bar-end weights, bar-end mirrors and hand guard brackets outboard of those grips.

Yeah, I almost needed two traffic lanes to get down the street...but it still wasn't GIVI hard case wide...

post #10 of 10 Old 05-25-2013, 06:59 AM
Princeps Prior

I cut my weights down in length and put them back in to help with the vibs. Just cut the amount you need off and put an o- ring on the the end and push them back in. Install mirrors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode