Ballistics Battery Problems. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 03-23-2014, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Ian

Ballistics Battery Problems.

Well my Ballistics EVO-2 eight cell has died. It is literally 2 years and 5 days old to the date of purchase, and it won't hold a load and dumps from full charge to 9volts as soon as a load is applied. I have tried charging it on a "full size" bench charger at 12amps, then dialed off to 2amps and left to maintain for a week. Still drops charge immediately, and won't come close to cranking over a engine .... even the little 200cc BW200.

I contacted them about there "industry leading warranty" and they told me that I would need to box it up, ship it back to them in the states and they would assess it for customer damage and miss use prior to agreeing on the claim.

I explained the scenario and the gave them a few voltage numbers and they told me that I shouldn't have let the voltage drop to 9V under load ...... not much you can do about that if when you press the button it drops like a stone.

There "industry leading warranty" is pro-rated so the best I will get is 50% off the retail price towards the purchase of a new battery .... plus covering the shipping both ways.

Limited Warranty - Ballistic Performance Components

I will not be getting another one and will be swapping back to a AGM YTZ10S oem style battery, since I can get one locally for a good price.

Honestly I have never really been happy with my EVO-2, it needed to be tricked charged after the first season constantly since they have a weird cold start procedure and when you combine that with a PC3 on a 919 it makes the bike VERY hard to start.

It is a neat battery, cool design and crazy small and light ...... great for a track application or maybe a cafe/brat/bobber build where you are looking to tuck and hide the battery. I might get one for some future projects, preferably something with a kick start back up. Haha.

Maybe I just got a crappy one, but with only receiving 50% off the next purchase price I certainly won't be going through this all over again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-23-2014, 09:02 AM
Honda919Rider #1

Good write up, hard to beat proven technology.

post #3 of 12 Old 03-23-2014, 09:17 AM
Princeps Prior

It was reviews like yours that made me stick with yuasa batteries. I do not want to get stranded anywhere. Like he said ^^^^ proven technology. And seriously, whats the big deal with putting a battery tender on it during the winter. it takes all of 2 min lol

post #4 of 12 Old 03-23-2014, 09:57 AM
Honda919Rider #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogunoogun View Post
It was reviews like yours that made me stick with yuasa batteries. I do not want to get stranded anywhere. Like he said ^^^^ proven technology. And seriously, whats the big deal with putting a battery tender on it during the winter. it takes all of 2 min lol
I'm there with you.

Recently switched from the old school lead acid YB14L-A2 battery in my FJ1200 to the maintenance free YTX14AHL-BS version.

I can not express the amount of joy it brings me in not having to check the battery level.

One less maintenance task gone.....

post #5 of 12 Old 03-23-2014, 12:09 PM
Aquilifer

I think I'd more tempted to go with the Shorai LiFe battery as opposed to the Ballistix. Everyone I know with the Ballistix has had some issue and a generally short live span. Some might say the same about the Shorai but I know quite a few people that just put it in and then the ride regularly and are going on 2 years + with no issues.

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #6 of 12 Old 03-23-2014, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Ian

All my bikes & toys are setup with quick disconnects for a trickle charger. If it just needed to be on the trickle charger between rides I wouldn't be complaining .... but the way its holding no voltage makes it a lithium paperweight.

The way it has failed makes me think one of the cells has given up the ghost, causing an internal issue limiting charging all the cells in the unit. I might as well open it up and investigate.

post #7 of 12 Old 03-23-2014, 01:33 PM
Aquilifer

My understanding is all of those Ballistix and Shorai (or battery pack batteries) take a specific type of charger if you are going to set it up on a trickle charge. Have you just been using a normal batter tender on it? That might be the issue. I was under the impression those batteries supposedly have some chip in it that shuts them off if the charge is improperly administered or if they are overcharged (or maybe to prevent it)... Not sure on the truth and other stuff behind them overall??????

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #8 of 12 Old 03-23-2014, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post
My understanding is all of those Ballistix and Shorai (or battery pack batteries) take a specific type of charger if you are going to set it up on a trickle charge. Have you just been using a normal batter tender on it? That might be the issue. I was under the impression those batteries supposedly have some chip in it that shuts them off if the charge is improperly administered or if they are overcharged (or maybe to prevent it)... Not sure on the truth and other stuff behind them overall??????
If u read through the website or manual a traditional battery charger is perfectly fine to use. It does have a small 8 pin cannon plug on top that can be used with the Ballistics specialty charger tool.... u can use it to balance the individual cells and check them for servicabily.

post #9 of 12 Old 03-23-2014, 07:09 PM
Honda919Rider #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliMech View Post
If u read through the website or manual a traditional battery charger is perfectly fine to use. It does have a small 8 pin cannon plug on top that can be used with the Ballistics specialty charger tool.... u can use it to balance the individual cells and check them for servicabily.
Partially true -

Quote:
Charging:

The best method for charging your EVO2 battery is to use the Ballistic Professional Intelligent Digital Balance Charger. It has a fast charge mode, a storage mode, and the ability to charge each cell or series individually. This Balance mode, when used periodically will greatly extend the life of the EVO2 battery.

You can use a conventional automotive or motorcycle based charger to recharge or maintain your EVO2 Battery. When using a conventional charger/trickle charge please check the following:
  • The charger should have an automatic cut-off at 14.4V to prevent over charging.
  • If you are using an automatic charger, be sure it does not have an automatic “desulfication” mode. This is a lead-acid specific function that can damage the EVO2 cells.
  • Some conventional automatic chargers have charging parameters based around lead-acid voltage specifications which are lower than EVO2 voltage specifications. If your automatic charger shuts off at 12.8 volts then it will never fully charge a EVO2 battery with a resting voltage of 13.2v
Maximum Charge Rate for Standard Automotive or Motorcycle based Charger:

EVO2 50 (100-009) – 5A @ 13.2-14.4V until the battery registers 14.4V.
4 Cell EVO 2 (100-010) – 10A @ 13.2-14.4V for until the battery registers 14.4V.
8 Cell EVO 2 (100-011) – 20A @ 13.2-14.4V for until the battery registers 14.4V.
12 Cell EVO 2 (100-012) – 20A @ 13.2-14.4V for until the battery registers 14.4V.
16 Cell EVO 2 (100-013) – 20A @ 13.2-14.4V for until the battery registers 14.4V.

post #10 of 12 Old 03-23-2014, 08:51 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Too bad you had a bad experience, Ian. Mine is probably close to 5 years old now (I've had it for 3.5, and I bought it used) and it's still working.

I wonder if you really did just get a bad one.

I had to do that exact same 'starting method' with a very cold battery when I left the bike outdoors at a hotel just two weeks ago.

Took all of 4 minutes to start, and the battery was not on a tender all winter. It still runs like a top.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #11 of 12 Old 03-24-2014, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Too bad you had a bad experience, Ian. Mine is probably close to 5 years old now (I've had it for 3.5, and I bought it used) and it's still working.

I wonder if you really did just get a bad one.

I had to do that exact same 'starting method' with a very cold battery when I left the bike outdoors at a hotel just two weeks ago.

Took all of 4 minutes to start, and the battery was not on a tender all winter. It still runs like a top.
Yeah shit happens man ..... yours does have 12 cells so it 33% bigger. Plus its the same size as the one shown in the video cranking over that big ass twin harley, between your 919 & 599 its probably had a pretty easy life.

Steve ..... I have a "battery tender junior" by Delran and a large bench model industrial charger as well. I am 99% sure it wasn't user error, I just think it gave up the ghost.

Its not a big deal I just wanted to share my experiance with a LiFePO4 battery on my 919. I do live in the cold "great white north", my bikes & batterys can sit for long periods of time without use ..... so my experience may not be A-typical but it's what happened none the less.

post #12 of 12 Old 03-24-2014, 08:37 AM
Aquilifer

we bought 10 of the 8 cell ballistics to run on our sound carts along with their smart chargers. Was for weight considerations, none of the batteries lasted a year as the kids would run them below the dreaded 9 volt limit which of course voids the warranty. For what they cost you'd think they'd come with a low voltage shut off before they off themselves. Kept one as a paper weight.
My 03 919 still has the original battery in it.

Rich

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode