919 windscreen advice needed, Givi A755 content - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 04-13-2015, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

919 windscreen advice needed, Givi A755 content

Hi all,

I've had my 919 for nearly a year now, and I keep going back and forth between no windscreen and using the Givi A755 that came with the bike.

I want a windscreen because I do 40 miles a day of open freeway at 75-80mph, and it's frequently windy here in Utah too. However, the Givi creates awful wind noise and a bit of buffeting around my Bell Vortex (which is super noisy all by itself). Without a windscreen it's much smoother and quieter (and I always wear earplugs), but the air pressure gets tiring.

I've been wondering if the windscreen is just too tall, or too short, would a different one work better for me? Lots of WTers seem to have high praise for the A755.

I'm 5'6" tall and 170lbs -- short enough that the air coming off of the A755 hits me about chin height. I've considered going with a big screen for cold weather and a flyscreen for summer, any suggestions there?

Pics of the bike with the A755 installed:
johnclawson_07456 by jkclawson, on Flickr

IMG_2022 by jkclawson, on Flickr

I tried an experiment by cutting up a Harbor Freight face shield to fit to see what a cut-down A755 would be like, didn't help much (I used masking tape to plug the hole at the bottom later):
johnclawson_07458 by jkclawson, on Flickr

johnclawson_07459 by jkclawson, on Flickr

I've looked a bit at some of the National Cycle screens, opinions on those or other brands are welcome! Let me know if any other short guys have found magic bullets, as what works for a 6'2 guy and what works for me are likely very different.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-13-2015, 11:21 AM
Who, me?

back when I had my 919, I looked at those. Didn't get one. Had a little flyscreen that I found on the web, made by I think fabrii (don't hold me to that...) used for a little while, then took it off. part of what I liked about the bike was the no fairing thing.

Contact me for AMSOIL products!

www.rmbsynthetics.com

If it ain't broke, keep fixing it 'till it is...
post #3 of 25 Old 04-13-2015, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I definitely think the 9er looks best naked, and below 65-70mph I prefer it that way unless it's pouring rain. However, the speed limit past my city is 75mph, with 80mph traffic. Gets a bit uncomfortable to sit there for half an hour each way like that!

post #4 of 25 Old 04-13-2015, 12:56 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I've owned my 919 for 12 years and certainly understand the problem. I initially bought the OEM screen - thought it was too small and didn't help enough with the air blast on the highway. I then bought the A755 and found it noisy and not much better on the highway. I sold the A755. Then I bought a National Cycle Plexifairing GT and that was hilarious. It was so noisy at any speed that i hated it but it did protect my hands from the wind in cold weather. So I cut about 6" off the top so that it was just short of what the A755 was. This GT is still my cold weather solution but it is still noisier than what i like. In warm weather I go w/o any screen but i do like hand guards for the wind protection on my hands. Nothing made extended riding on the highway much different than the small OEM screen.
The solution for the highway for me was to get a Honda VFR. That bike is totally different on the highway - rock solid with no buffeting and very little noise. But for riding in the heat of the summer you can't beat a naked 919!

post #5 of 25 Old 04-13-2015, 01:08 PM
Discen

It's true, the givi screen sends a lot of wind to the helmet and that makes a lot of noise.

I had once a smaller Puig screen and it made less noise, but it protected less from windblast too. In comparison, with Givi's i can keep any speed, but with Puig's it was too hard for my neck more than 100mph

ROUNDED HEADLIGHTS LIBERATION FRONT

aaaa
.. a ^aa
^aaaaa
aa ^aaa avispaoencarretera.blogspot.com.es

post #6 of 25 Old 04-13-2015, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Hmm, sounds like it's not likely to get much better then. Maybe I'll just stick with the A755 for cold weather and add a set of hand guards next winter. Almost went the DIY route for those this last winter, but decided it'd be a lot of fiddling with shaping aluminum bar and lexan sheets, so I'll just hunt for a good deal on some barkbusters or other big weather-worthy ones.

No screen for the summer might be my only good option.

post #7 of 25 Old 04-13-2015, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I understand the VFR on the freeway -- I've demoed those a few times and really like them, and I had both a D and E model Kawi ZX-600/Ninja 600. Much better weather protection and smoother airflow than the 919, but my wrists and neck don't like the sport bike riding position for long. Even with bar risers, my '99 ZX-600E couldn't cut it for me on longer rides.

Thanks to a messed up neck that turns tension headaches into migranes, I've pretty much ruled out ever owning a sport bike again (including sporty tourers here) as my only/primary machine. A Ninja 1000 with bar risers or convertibars is about as aggressive as I ever want to go again.

post #8 of 25 Old 04-15-2015, 08:50 PM
Batman

Ill post a review on my mra vario shield within a week, did you check them out?

ForumRunner_20150415_224938.jpg

ForumRunner_20150415_224958.jpg

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #9 of 25 Old 04-16-2015, 06:20 AM
Aquilifer

I had a buell cyclone screen on mine for a while and it seemed like it would kind of keep things balanced and not generate any wind noise but any time you got over about 70 it was practically like there was no wind screen at all. I am currently running the same givi you have on my Hawk and I'd like to offer input but I just am now getting it registered again so I just don't have enough miles on it to say much. I did ride it to a meet and greet on TWT back in November and that day the wind from the North was murder for everyone.

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #10 of 25 Old 04-16-2015, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by velodesign View Post
Ill post a review on my mra vario shield within a week, did you check them out?
I've looked at them briefly, let me know when you post your review!

post #11 of 25 Old 05-27-2015, 06:28 PM
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbs View Post

I've looked at them briefly, let me know when you post your review!
Ok, two ride reports.

There is a lot of wind reduction with the mra. But, its not clean with the x screen extended. I still need to fiddle with things getting it set at the right position later this summer and feel it will be a good touring shield that i will remove as i see fit. Its way better than stock shield and enough that i dared to ride at 65mph without ear protection. In a slight tuck, it was bliss, straight was noisy but clean.

Again, aesthetics aside, i think this shield will be great.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #12 of 25 Old 05-27-2015, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Cool, sounds promising. The looks don't bother me, I think my current givi isn't very pretty but I put up with it anyway!

post #13 of 25 Old 05-27-2015, 08:37 PM
Aquilifer

The 919 is all about looks, it should bother you!!! LOL :P

Rob C

2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #14 of 25 Old 05-28-2015, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post
The 919 is all about looks, it should bother you!!! LOL :P
oh, it bothers me -- I think the 919 looks best with no screen or a small flyscreen, but the wind bothers me more! Only above 70-75mph though -- below that, I'm happy without a screen. Above that and the pressure starts to get irritating. Where I live, it's a lot of 80mph freeway traffic.

That said, I've got neck issues that lead to frequent migraines, so that's definitely a factor for me.

post #15 of 25 Old 05-28-2015, 08:48 AM
Aquilifer

I understand the high traffic speeds all too well. I'm fidgeting with the windscreen on my Vstrom right now due to the same issue. Wind blocking is awesome up until about 75 after that the buffeting vibrates my helmet so much it's like my head's in a paint stirrer and traffic regularly hits 85+ .

Rob C

2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #16 of 25 Old 05-28-2015, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post
I understand the high traffic speeds all too well. I'm fidgeting with the windscreen on my Vstrom right now due to the same issue. Wind blocking is awesome up until about 75 after that the buffeting vibrates my helmet so much it's like my head's in a paint stirrer and traffic regularly hits 85+ .
Yeah, that's what I feel like sometimes. It's actually not bad in heavy traffic since the wind is moving with all of the cars, but out in the open areas sometimes it surprises me that my vision isn't blurry because my head is shaking so much.

I've also read lots of complaints about the Vstrom and buffeting, which is too bad. I'd seriously consider one otherwise!

post #17 of 25 Old 05-28-2015, 12:04 PM
Optio

Garage
I have the Givi 240 and wear an HJC CL16 and CL17. I am 6'01" and 215lbs. When I first installed the shield, I had it aimed high and was getting a ton of wind. One day, I thought that would lower it to see how that goes and it solved my issue. I still get a some air at 75-80, but its a lot more comfortable.

post #18 of 25 Old 05-28-2015, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Good suggestion, but doesn't work for me. I've tried all the angles I can come up based on the Givi mounting brackets, and even as low as I can get it, the turbulence still hits me mouth level. As far forward as I can pivot it, the air gets pushed up a bit higher, but the shield flexes lots more without the brackets resting on the instrument cluster and the air is even dirtier. Plus then my headlight gets reflected off the back of the shield towards me.

post #19 of 25 Old 05-28-2015, 01:30 PM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I feel like sometimes. It's actually not bad in heavy traffic since the wind is moving with all of the cars, but out in the open areas sometimes it surprises me that my vision isn't blurry because my head is shaking so much.

I've also read lots of complaints about the Vstrom and buffeting, which is too bad. I'd seriously consider one otherwise!
On the Vee its a matter of getting the right screen. I have a MadStadd on order. Just waiting on it to show up. From everything I have read and seen it will resolve the issue but the buffeting does blur my vision some, but then again I just make a point to slow down and enjoy the ride a little more...

Rob C

2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #20 of 25 Old 05-28-2015, 01:31 PM
Aquilifer

I have a Givi 755 on the Brown Hawk and it does pretty well up to triple digits.

Rob C

2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #21 of 25 Old 05-29-2015, 07:25 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Good suggestion, but doesn't work for me. I've tried all the angles I can come up based on the Givi mounting brackets, and even as low as I can get it, the turbulence still hits me mouth level. As far forward as I can pivot it, the air gets pushed up a bit higher, but the shield flexes lots more without the brackets resting on the instrument cluster and the air is even dirtier. Plus then my headlight gets reflected off the back of the shield towards me.
I wasn't as much referencing the angles as I was referencing getting an a240.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #22 of 25 Old 06-23-2015, 08:25 AM
Tirone

I have a Givi a240 and have put many miles with and without it. My assessment is its not perfect but every time I find myself wanting to take it off and do, I quickly put it back on. I prefer the look without it on and the wind isn't so bad up to or for short burst over 75mph however for any extended riding periods at speed I find it necessary. I would rather have some wind turbulence that I can get under than head first into the wind without anything. I'm 5'10" and like I said it's not perfect but other than running a full blow

post #23 of 25 Old 06-23-2015, 08:26 AM
Tirone

Blown windjammer I'll take this option.

post #24 of 25 Old 07-04-2015, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Got things,sorry sorted out now. I wound up just cutting the top of the shield off where the clear part extends past the opaque part, the I went back later and cut a bit more so it's almost straight across.

Wind is MUCH better. I now get smooth air to my helmet and the turbulence hits my shoulders, where it doesn't matter. The shield still does an excellent job of removing much of the wind blast from my torso.

I'm a happy camper now, so I'm sticking with this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2531558135.jpg (59.7 KB, 37 views)

post #25 of 25 Old 07-07-2015, 08:48 PM
Tirone

I'm running with this setup lately:
Simple File Sharing and Storage.

It's a National Cycle Street Shield with an MRA X-creen Tour. If I were to do it over again, I may just get an MRA windshield with the adjustable spoiler built in.

At speed up to 70, it does a pretty good job. Over that, air still hits my shoulders.

I rode a 1500 mile trip in 5 days to Tail of the Dragon in NC a couple weeks ago. I think for that, it was more or less a necessity with the freeway riding we did, but it's still not as good as having an actual faired bike like an FJR 1300.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode