919 Dual Headlight Conversion - Wrist Twisters

Old 12-24-2010, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

919 Dual Headlight Conversion

It was a PITA to line up the mounting bolts with the windshield, but here is the outcome...............

2007 Honda 919
Danmoto carbon pipes, dual headlights, flapper mod, frame sliders, K&N, tail tidy, smoke turns, cafe mirrors, windshield, 1" bar riser, PAIRS plates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Tirone

That looks great. I recently put the same Chinese pipes on mine and I like 'em. The price is great too. Strongly considering the twin lites. Good job.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Ride Like You Stole It

unless you ride lot, be careful because it will drain the battery.....I am running 1 light for low and dual on high.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the draining battery info. I will have to route my trickle charger under my seat and plug her in on a regular basis. No biggie

2007 Honda 919
Danmoto carbon pipes, dual headlights, flapper mod, frame sliders, K&N, tail tidy, smoke turns, cafe mirrors, windshield, 1" bar riser, PAIRS plates.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:29 AM
Tesserarius

Nice setup....Just wondered would speed triple twin headlights mount up on the 9er?

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro
Old 12-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

You did a pretty good job hiding all the extra harness. I ran my 9'er with the dual setup and loved the look.

When I die I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did....not screaming in horror like the passengers in the backseat of his car.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Discen

Where are these lights from? Looking for a new light to spice up the 9'rs front end

Old 12-28-2010, 03:52 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sml2727 View Post
Nice setup....Just wondered would speed triple twin headlights mount up on the 9er?
Anything will mount up if you're willing to fab something to hold it in place. I have Buell XB12SX lights on my 919, including the little [useless] windscreen.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Gets censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott View Post
Anything will mount up if you're willing to fab something to hold it in place. I have Buell XB12SX lights on my 919, including the little [useless] windscreen.
Pic?

Old 12-31-2010, 08:32 AM
Discen

Any current draw issues with 2 bulbs on the 919? I just grabbed a set of these and want to run PIAA superbrights like I have in the stock headlight... But I am a little concerned about the stock wiring. Should I grab a beaver harness?

Old 12-31-2010, 09:49 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

With double, higher wattage, I would go for the heavier harness.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Tirone

Heavier harness from who. Couldnt you run your own thicker wires through the stock harness yes its time consuming but my budget is not very friendly for minor personal tweaks.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:06 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Damn you brought one from the dead. The problem with running thicker wires with the stock setup is the cut-off at the switch. It's the weakest point of that whole system.

You can google "Eastern Beaver Company," he makes a pre-wired relay kit out of Japan and ships. Decently priced and from what others have to say, he makes them with quality. If you're going dominators (dual), you'll want the dual H4 relay kit.

I have the duals but only run a single bulb on high during the day and both bulbs on low at night. I find the single high-beam to be sufficient in night time as well.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
Old 03-13-2013, 07:12 PM
Tirone

Yea better than a buncb of same old threads lol. So ita only really nessary if you plan on running duals constantly. Also your high switch is for one and your low is for two?

Old 03-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Tirone

Better yet if i run duals that equal 60~55 watt together id be fine

Old 03-13-2013, 07:35 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

The relay kit should give you better power to the bulbs resulting in better lighting. It really should be what I'm doing but it seems to be holding up alright. Mind you that I switch the bike to HI even before turning the key and starting only with a single bulb.

I would not recommend using a total of 60W for BOTH bulbs, that's just not enough lighting IMO. And yes I have my HI as a single bulb and the LOW as dual. No fancy wiring here though, I just bent the Hi prong on one of the bulbs out of the way so there's no connection.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
Old 03-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Tirone

Yes sir..Thank you for your recommendations

Old 03-13-2013, 09:20 PM
Tirone

Oh hey why didnt you wire the low for one and high for two..just wondering

Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Felt it more important to have both bulbs on for night. I'd have both on for hi and low if the cut-off at the starter switch wasn't so prone to crapping out.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

Old 03-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Tirone

Hey guys got another question..i know the switch is the weak point so what if you put a fusable link for the second light to help with the extra wattage

Old 03-18-2013, 03:09 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02hornetrider View Post
Hey guys got another question..i know the switch is the weak point so what if you put a fusable link for the second light to help with the extra wattage
Thats the same thing as an in-line fuse, and it would be kind of futile...it would potentially save the switch wiring, but the heat load would constantly blow it. You would be better off putting the headlights on a relay, which will isolate the switch wiring from the main electrical draw (as intended).

...and just remember, its better to isolate than never...

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
Old 03-18-2013, 04:23 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post

You would be better off putting the headlights on a relay, which will isolate the switch wiring from the main electrical draw (as intended).
Eastern Beaver Company will have said relays premaid.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

Old 03-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Tirone

Got somethin goin on. I need another relay to have only one lit but i dont need any during the day. Still getting it though. It took me about 45 min to figure out i needed another relay and then it was dark so picks in the light tomorrow...
Attached Images
File Type: png ForumRunner_20130320_203701.png (364.0 KB, 32 views)

Old 03-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Tirone

Couldn't help it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20130320_210821.jpg (35.5 KB, 40 views)

Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Tirone

Changed em up...now some blue wire wrap coming up

ForumRunner_20130403_233926.jpg

Old 04-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Batman

Alright, I'm going to ask.

Wtf are you trying to accomplish with the setup thus far?

I'm all for creativity but mounting ugly fog/driving lamps in the wrong orientation at the wrong height is just...headaches for oncoming traffic.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Tirone

Lol the wrong orientation therefore blinding people. Lmfao like a 18 wheeler with the lights mounted " correctly " shining strait at your mirrow making you move all three to see infront of you..lol. ok....but i dont like the round lights or the stacked look...i see my whole lane and ditch just in case deer are out ...... there perfect

Old 04-04-2013, 03:48 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Lol the wrong orientation therefore blinding people. Lmfao like a 18 wheeler with the lights mounted " correctly " shining strait at your mirrow making you move all three to see infront of you..lol. ok....but i dont like the round lights or the stacked look...i see my whole lane and ditch just in case deer are out ...... there perfect
I'd be more concerned with oncoming traffic that can't see the center line and swerve into your lane... Also, you're not going to be able to see the side of the road very well either....

Old 04-04-2013, 07:04 AM
Discen

Quote:
Lol the wrong orientation therefore blinding people.
He's right. those lights have a specific output pattern. Mounting them sideways will not provide good results.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:58 AM
Tirone

Maybe im the only one to put these on a bike...if they were the other way the light would be wider than my lane which one like is for and one for the shoulder to see the tree line...it works better than the latge single light i can assure you guys...thanks for the concerns however nobodys sight is deminished with my tall light...no fingers no crazy looks unless everyone that catches the light to the eyes in a good mood

Old 04-04-2013, 08:08 AM
i appear missing

Quote:
but i dont like the round lights or the stacked look...
there are tons of other options out there.

and etc...

Old 04-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Tirone

Yea i thought about the gixxer light. I seen these lights in there proper position then thought of the look i wanted and went for it. Its different and functional.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Batman

Hey, I was just wondering. If its just because you want to, then awesome...

I thought your first setup was classy. These last setups are still classy, just not sure which one...

Old 04-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Batman

Quote:
Maybe im the only one to put these on a bike...if they were the other way the light would be wider than my lane which one like is for and one for the shoulder to see the tree line...it works better than the latge single light i can assure you guys...thanks for the concerns however nobodys sight is deminished with my tall light...no fingers no crazy looks unless everyone that catches the light to the eyes in a good mood
It's because they are not meant as primary light source. They are auxilary lights. Anything "auxiliary" is meant to supplement a primary function aka headlight. But hey, your lane, your space, your life. But the likelihood of the outcome in your favor of bike vs. ANYYHING is abysmal at best. Im done lecturing you, but just wanted to point out the reason why manufacturers don't put auxilary lights as primary sources is as stated above. Carry on, ride as you will.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Tirone

Oil is for engines not wood staining....i understand where your coming from....good debate...i plan on being a lawer

Old 04-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Tirone

It is because they function beautifully its super bright the first 25 or so feet with just one on even on a pitch black road. I turned both on the other evening when it got foggy and i can tell you they function better than the first setup and the stock light...this setup makes the light tall instead of wide .... ill take a pick in the parking lot even though there lot lights...hold please

Old 04-04-2013, 06:52 PM
Tirone

Lmao picture sucks

ForumRunner_20130404_215207.png

Old 04-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Tirone

Old 04-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Tirone

Oh i see why...i had the flash on....

Old 04-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Discen

The light pattern is horizontal instead of vertical. This is really bad for you and other drivers!

What you want is a WIDE output and low height.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in